Unbeatable Conversationalist

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
I'm Catholic. I have thought about it and could never be an atheist, but I am able to understand and appreciate how some people are, and am often jealous of them for it.

What's to be jealous of? You are your own person aren't you? I can understand that many years of what your family or community had constructed you to be, but they can't not get into your head.

Atheists have no fear of rotting in Hell for eternity.

Why should you be afraid of the Boogie Man? The same concept applies with Hell. Ordinary people long ago created the concept of Hell as a scare tactic to get people to follow their rules. These people of the past and present still do this in a way a parent would tell a child if they don't clean their room, the monster that lives in their closet is going to eat them.

Honestly I find the Christian view on Heaven to be truly Hellish to me. Why would I follow a religion where I have to worship this God throughout my mortal life, only to die and continue worshiping this God for all eternity?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
There was no specific moment, but I would sort of put the date at around my 21st bday...four years ago. Before that I had more and more sceptical of many things. I was at the stage of "spiritual but not religious" between ages 15-20.

Hilarious Lunatic

I'll be 21 next month. I think I've been atheist my whole life, and didn't know it. From a Catholic family. Luckily, my parents are not involved in the religion.

My parents believe in God, but we don't go to church, say grace, have a bible, etc. We only do religious things on holidays like Easter and Christmas.

I went to CCD from a young age, and got confirmed in 8th grade. I was so happy to get out of there. I went to a public school; this was an after school program.

NOBODY actually liked CCD. Kids I knew from school went there.

My first skepticness was at my holy communion. I found out the "blood of Christ" is just wine. I thought to myself, "Where do they make the bread?"

I did believe in God. But I did not give a s**t. To me, Christmas was always about being with my family, giving and receiving presents, winter, etc. Easter is about Easter eggs and candy.

I used to fear the devil. Then I outgrew him in middle school. Now, I can't take people seriously when they believe the devil is out to get them.

I was taught to fear God.

This is how the God of Catholicism and Christianity is:

"Worship me, or burn! Here are my rules, and things you're not allowed to do! Do not live for yourself! Only live for me! It doesn't matter how good you are, you're still doomed for hell! You deserve it, because you were born an evil sinner! No being gay, no mixing fabrics, no enjoying yourself, no rock or metal music, no knowledge, etc. Love me more than your parents! You are not permitted to question me or my power or existence! But don't worry, I still love you!"

It was just bullshit. I believe Jesus was a real person. But Son of God? No. Born from a virgin? No. Walked on water? No. Turned water into wine? No. Rose from the dead? No.

Another thing: If Jesus was God and The Lord, and if God was real, it would be a fact that everyone would know.

The sun is a star. Sickness is caused by bacteria and viruses, even genetics. The earth is round. "God is real" is a CLAIM, not a fact.

olive buffet's Datemate

Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
I'm Catholic. I have thought about it and could never be an atheist, but I am able to understand and appreciate how some people are, and am often jealous of them for it.

What's to be jealous of? You are your own person aren't you? I can understand that many years of what your family or community had constructed you to be, but they can't not get into your head.

Why should you be afraid of the Boogie Man? The same concept applies with Hell. Ordinary people long ago created the concept of Hell as a scare tactic to get people to follow their rules. These people of the past and present still do this in a way a parent would tell a child if they don't clean their room, the monster that lives in their closet is going to eat them.

Honestly I find the Christian view on Heaven to be truly Hellish to me. Why would I follow a religion where I have to worship this God throughout my mortal life, only to die and continue worshiping this God for all eternity?

That's just it. I have been raised Catholic, practiced my whole life, so the idea of Hell is very real to me. And I try to tell myself it's fake, but I just can't convince myself. And that is why I am jealous of Atheists, because they don't believe in this place.
And as a Catholic, I can tell myself as much as I want that this place doesn't exist, but in the back of my head I'm still going, "But what if it is? And what if you're going there?"
Fullmetal Gurren Titan
Another thing: If Jesus was God and The Lord, and if God was real, it would be a fact that everyone would know.

Why?

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

That's just it. I have been raised Catholic, practiced my whole life, so the idea of Hell is very real to me. And I try to tell myself it's fake, but I just can't convince myself. And that is why I am jealous of Atheists, because they don't believe in this place.
And as a Catholic, I can tell myself as much as I want that this place doesn't exist, but in the back of my head I'm still going, "But what if it is? And what if you're going there?"

There is no what if. Try thinking about it in a logical sense. When someone describes you a place that you haven't been too, let's say Germany for an example. Chances are this person who is telling you this story had been to Germany in order to share with you what it's like and their experiences.

With Heaven, Hell, or whatever religious form of afterlife that have a story describing in detail of what the afterlife will be like is all completely fabricated because of one major detail. Only the DEAD knows the answer! Last time I check, dead people aren't great conversationalist. So why should I, you, or any other should believe a tale written by a human being just like yourself of what it's like on the other side?

The only kind of people who comes close to describing what is like being dead, are people who had experience near death experiences. And according to them, many of them have describe a similarity of a system shut down. All six senses going. Vision going dark. Fading away. Our minds is pretty much is a super computer. Working in a nursing home I see the people going through an all system shut down many times. AKA passing away.

Of course the unknown is scary and it's permanent. But I won't waste my only life having a despicable fairy tale dictate how I live.

olive buffet's Datemate

Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

There is no what if. Try thinking about it in a logical sense. When someone describes you a place that you haven't been too, let's say Germany for an example. Chances are this person who is telling you this story had been to Germany in order to share with you what it's like and their experiences.

With Heaven, Hell, or whatever religious form of afterlife that have a story describing in detail of what the afterlife will be like is all completely fabricated because of one major detail. Only the DEAD knows the answer! Last time I check, dead people aren't great conversationalist. So why should I, you, or any other should believe a tale written by a human being just like yourself of what it's like on the other side?

The only kind of people who comes close to describing what is like being dead, are people who had experience near death experiences. And according to them, many of them have describe a similarity of a system shut down. All six senses going. Vision going dark. Fading away. Our minds is pretty much is a super computer. Working in a nursing home I see the people going through an all system shut down many times. AKA passing away.

Of course the unknown is scary and it's permanent. But I won't waste my only life having a despicable fairy tale dictate how I live.

It irks me when people call the Bible a fairy tale. I respect atheists and their beliefs, but when you call the Bible a work of fiction, can you please get the type of fiction right? The Bible, in a fiction sense, is a collection of fables. Examples of non-religious fables are The Tortoise and the Hare, and The Boy Who Cried Wolf, stories with moral messages than can be extrapolated into real life.
Actually, the Bible uses the term "Parabole" throughout, which, etymologically, is the same word as "fable".

Anyway, what I'm saying, you being an atheist, there is no way to wrap your head around the existence of a god, and all that stuff, which is what I'm jealous of.
But me, being raised Catholic, having this stuff in my head for so long, I would like to believe there is no Hell, but there is still that "what if?" in the back of my head.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

It irks me when people call the Bible a fairy tale. I respect atheists and their beliefs, but when you call the Bible a work of fiction, can you please get the type of fiction right? The Bible, in a fiction sense, is a collection of fables. Examples of non-religious fables are The Tortoise and the Hare, and The Boy Who Cried Wolf, stories with moral messages than can be extrapolated into real life.
Actually, the Bible uses the term "Parabole" throughout, which, etymologically, is the same word as "fable".

Anyway, what I'm saying, you being an atheist, there is no way to wrap your head around the existence of a god, and all that stuff, which is what I'm jealous of.
But me, being raised Catholic, having this stuff in my head for so long, I would like to believe there is no Hell, but there is still that "what if?" in the back of my head.

Fables, folklore, legend, tale, series, myth. No matter the word, the meaning is still the same. Mythology was once religions that people use to worship. Such as Greek mythology with gods like Zeus. And one day Christianity will too follow in it's path as more people become educated about the world around them. You honestly been condition with fear of a so call loving god that despise every single thing you do for far too long. You don't have to have a disapproving space daddy hovering over you to enjoy life.
We atheist still appreciate the little things as well as the grand things of life. Sunsets. Sunrises. The birds and the trees and all that sentimental goodness. We enjoy these things because we do. Not because some god tells you to enjoy it so you won't look ungrateful in the eyes of that religion.
Perhaps one day you will over come your fear of the monster in your closet.

olive buffet's Datemate

Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

Fables, folklore, legend, tale, series, myth. No matter the word, the meaning is still the same. Mythology was once religions that people use to worship. Such as Greek mythology with gods like Zeus. And one day Christianity will too follow in it's path as more people become educated about the world around them. You honestly been condition with fear of a so call loving god that despise every single thing you do for far too long. You don't have to have a disapproving space daddy hovering over you to enjoy life.
We atheist still appreciate the little things as well as the grand things of life. Sunsets. Sunrises. The birds and the trees and all that sentimental goodness. We enjoy these things because we do. Not because some god tells you to enjoy it so you won't look ungrateful in the eyes of that religion.

Fable and Fairy Tale have distinct meanings.

Hilarious Lunatic

Lucky~9~Lives
Fullmetal Gurren Titan

Why?

Easy. A fact is something that has been proven with evidence and experiments. Jesus being God is only in the bible. No other books. Why isn't he taught about in public schools? Because him being God is a belief, not truth.

"Jesus is God" is a CLAIM, not a fact.

Facts:
Earth is round
The sun is a star
Law of Gravity
There is no hellish kingdom underground, just minerals and lava
Fullmetal Gurren Titan
Lucky~9~Lives
Fullmetal Gurren Titan

Why?

Easy. A fact is something that has been proven with evidence and experiments.

If that were the case, the Sun would not have in fact been a star prior to such proof of it being a star.

Fullmetal Gurren Titan
Jesus being God is only in the bible. No other books. Why isn't he taught about in public schools? Because him being God is a belief, not truth.

Many facts - even those taught in schools - are not known by everyone.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

fable
[fey-buh l]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
a short tale to teach a moral lesson, often with animals or inanimate objects as characters; apologue:
the fable of the tortoise and the hare; Aesop's fables.
a story not founded on fact:
This biography is largely a self-laudatory fable.
a story about supernatural or extraordinary persons or incidents; legend:
the fables of gods and heroes.
legends or myths collectively:
the heroes of Greek fable.
an untruth; falsehood:
This boast of a cure is a medical fable.
the plot of an epic, a dramatic poem, or a play.
idle talk:
old wives' fables.

Fairy tales

fair·y tale
noun
noun: fairytale
a children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands.
synonyms: folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, fantasy, fable
"the movie was inspired by a fairy tale"
denoting something regarded as resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy.
modifier noun: fairy-tale
"a fairy-tale romance"
a fabricated story, especially one intended to deceive.

Please don't attempt to argue semantics with me. Especially deliberately ignoring everything I type as an explanation for why you shouldn't be afraid of fiction. But it clear to me you would rather live in fear and be jealous of people who aren't afraid of the boogie man. Go right ahead. Oh by the way. Envy is one of the deadly sins. and jealously is envy.

olive buffet's Datemate

Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

fable
[fey-buh l]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
a short tale to teach a moral lesson, often with animals or inanimate objects as characters; apologue:
an untruth; falsehood:
idle talk:
old wives' fables.

Fairy tales

fair·y tale
noun
synonyms: folk tale, folk story, traditional story, myth, legend, fantasy, fable
denoting something regarded as resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy.
"a fairy-tale romance"

Please don't attempt to argue semantics with me. Especially deliberately ignoring everything I type as an explanation for why you shouldn't be afraid of fiction. But it clear to me you would rather live in fear and be jealous of people who aren't afraid of the boogie man. Go right ahead. Oh by the way. Envy is one of the deadly sins. and jealously is envy.

The Fable definition works better.
There can be supernatural beings and myths in fables.
The plot doesn't play out as a fairy tale. It is a collection of fables.

8,400 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Voter 100
  • First step to fame 200
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

fable
[fey-buh l]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
an untruth; falsehood:
idle talk:
old wives' fables.

Fairy tales

fair·y tale
noun
"a fairy-tale romance"

You're so hung up on the difference on both words that you continue to ignore the similarity. The reason why I use fairy tale when describing the bible is because how fabricate it is. Both the words fairy tale and fable are both interchangeable words, because it is use in a definition to define the word fiction.

olive buffet's Datemate

Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng
Hikarulawl
mnhnrnnyng

fable
[fey-buh l]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
an untruth; falsehood:
idle talk:
old wives' fables.

Fairy tales

fair·y tale
noun
"a fairy-tale romance"

You're so hung up on the difference on both words that you continue to ignore the similarity. The reason why I use fairy tale when describing the bible is because how fabricate it is. Both the words fairy tale and fable are both interchangeable words, because it is use in a definition to define the word fiction.

Not all fiction is fairy tale.
Lord of the Rings is fiction. It is not a fairy tale.
There are many different types of fiction; most isn't fairy tales. Bible doesn't even play out like a normal fairy tale.
It's a collection of fables; the whole book doesn't even make sense as one story read from beginning to end.
Fables are works of fiction meant to teach morals in a metaphoric sense. That is what the Bible is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff