Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Gaian

why did god kill the child instead of punishing david or bathsheba? why did he make the child suffer for days instead of mercifully ending his life? when pharaoh refused to let the hebrews go, why did god push innocent people and kill the first born children instead of directly punishing pharaoh himself? multiple times in the bible, god kills and tortures innocent people just to make a point. how is punishing innocent people just? how is he a just god? i'd prefer if theists answered this question because of course atheists will say "well of course he isn't just".

Adored Admirer

I take it you recently saw this in a thread where I posted this video.

Dapper Gaian

Pseudo-Onkelos
I take it you recently saw this in a thread where I posted this video.

i'd seen it before and your post reminded me of it.
papa was a rolling stone
why did god kill the child instead of punishing david or bathsheba? why did he make the child suffer for days instead of mercifully ending his life? when pharaoh refused to let the hebrews go, why did god push innocent people and kill the first born children instead of directly punishing pharaoh himself? multiple times in the bible, god kills and tortures innocent people just to make a point. how is punishing innocent people just? how is he a just god? i'd prefer if theists answered this question because of course atheists will say "well of course he isn't just".

There is not a shred of scripture to suggest anyone is innocent.

Dapper Gaian

Kuroko and the Lamb
papa was a rolling stone

we don't scripture to tell us whether david and bathsheba's child was innocent, you a**. he was punished the moment he was born.
papa was a rolling stone
Kuroko and the Lamb
papa was a rolling stone

we don't scripture to tell us whether david and bathsheba's child was innocent, you a**. he was punished the moment he was born.

Nope, babies are not innocent. Romans 3:23. David has even written several psalms with verses about sinning in his mother's womb. No one is innocent.

Adored Admirer

"Nevertheless, because by this deed you [David] have utterly scorned the Lord, the child who is born to you shall die." (2 Sam. 12:14)

"Now suppose this man fathers a son who sees all the sins that his father has done; he sees, and does not do likewise: he does not eat upon the mountains or lift up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, does not defile his neighbor's wife, does not oppress anyone, exacts no pledge, commits no robbery, but gives his bread to the hungry and covers the naked with a garment, withholds his hand from iniquity, takes no interest or profit, obeys my rules, and walks in my statutes; he shall not die for his father's iniquity; he shall surely live. As for his father, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother, and did what is not good among his people, behold, he shall die for his iniquity. (Ezek. 18:14 - 18 )

Dapper Gaian

Kuroko and the Lamb
papa was a rolling stone
Kuroko and the Lamb
papa was a rolling stone

Nope, babies are not innocent. Romans 3:23. David has even written several psalms with verses about sinning in his mother's womb. No one is innocent.

oh well if david wrote that then that's actually how the world works.

Dapper Gaian

Pseudo-Onkelos
"Nevertheless, because by this deed you [David] have utterly scorned the Lord, the child who is born to you shall die." (2 Sam. 12:14)

"Now suppose this man fathers a son who sees all the sins that his father has done; he sees, and does not do likewise: he does not eat upon the mountains or lift up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, does not defile his neighbor's wife, does not oppress anyone, exacts no pledge, commits no robbery, but gives his bread to the hungry and covers the naked with a garment, withholds his hand from iniquity, takes no interest or profit, obeys my rules, and walks in my statutes; he shall not die for his father's iniquity; he shall surely live. As for his father, because he practiced extortion, robbed his brother, and did what is not good among his people, behold, he shall die for his iniquity. (Ezek. 18:14 - 18 )

unless his father is david, then we won't even give him a chance.

Dapper Gaian

what sins can an unborn fetus possibly commit?
having other gods besides the abrahamic god? children aren't born believing in and knowing god, they have to be taught by their parents so that's not it.
making an idol for themselves? nope.
taking the lord's name in vain?
failing to keep holy the sabbath?
failing to honor their mothers and fathers? murder? adultery? stealing? falsely testifying?

Adored Admirer

Kuroko and the Lamb

How can one have sinned if one has never acted sinfully? Why take these literally when they're found in the psalms? And David speaks only of himself, but why take him literally?
Pseudo-Onkelos
Kuroko and the Lamb

How can one have sinned if one has never acted sinfully? Why take these literally when they're found in the psalms? And David speaks only of himself, but why take him literally?

Psalms 51:5 address it, David claims he was sinful from the moment his mother conceived him, and sinful at birth. The psalms is about his sin against God and was written right after he committed adultery. I don't see how else we can interpret it other than literally. The entire song is pretty straight forward.

Regardless man has been cursed with a sinful nature, that of which we inherited from Adam and Eve. I don't know what babies are doing that's sinful before God, either way they had sinned, for everyone has sinned.

Adored Admirer

Kuroko and the Lamb
Psalms 51:5 address it, David claims he was sinful from the moment his mother conceived him, and sinful at birth. The psalms is about his sin against God and was written right after he committed adultery. I don't see how else we can interpret it other than literally. The entire song is pretty straight forward.

I know why it was written, but that doesn't mean David was literally born with original sin. That's a Catholic concept. Thanks, Augustine. Why take it literally? You wouldn't take v. 2 literally, nor would you take v. 4 literally. David didn't just sin against God only. He sinned against Uriah by committing adultery with his wife, by lying to him, and by having him killed in the battlefield. V. 7 isn't taken literally, either.

Kuroko and the Lamb
Regardless man has been cursed with a sinful nature, that of which we inherited from Adam and Eve. I don't know what babies are doing that's sinful before God, either way they had sinned, for everyone has sinned.

Adam and Eve never existed. The Hebrews and ancient Israel didn't believe in a sinful nature.

Dapper Gaian

Pseudo-Onkelos
Kuroko and the Lamb

I know why it was written, but that doesn't mean David was literally born with original sin. That's a Catholic concept. Thanks, Augustine. Why take it literally? You wouldn't take v. 2 literally, nor would you take v. 4 literally. David didn't just sin against God only. He sinned against Uriah by committing adultery with his wife, by lying to him, and by having him killed in the battlefield. V. 7 isn't taken literally, either.

Kuroko and the Lamb

Adam and Eve never existed. The Hebrews and ancient Israel didn't believe in a sinful nature.

I have also just learned in a class of mine that the Jews didn't believe the serpent was Satan, but they just believed serpents were the most cunning animals. The Christians pretty much invented the character Santan as we know him.

Dapper Gaian

Kuroko and the Lamb
Pseudo-Onkelos
Kuroko and the Lamb

Why didn't God just exterminate the entire human race? If everyone has a sinful nature and are to be held accountable before they even do anything wrong, why spare anybody? Why keep us around?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff