Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Senshi

I was raised Catholic and went to the boring Catholicism classes from when I was very little all the way through high school. TECHNICALLY, I'm Catholic in the eyes of the church because I've gone through confirmation, however, I am definitely nonreligious. I'm not even sure if I'd categorize myself as an atheist because I take more of a 'if there is a god, I really don't care either way' sort of approach. I personally do not understand why people have to have a religion in their life, but do I understand why it's something comforting to believe in.
I am a Neo-Pagan because comparing natural elements and lifeforms to god-like beings helps me to appreciate things and not take them for granted. Using mainly organic things for every-day tasks also relieves stress and other unhealthy feelings over time. In case there are actual higher powers that control the basic things that humans and other life forms need to live, I do celebrate Pagan holidays in their honor and I pray to them and meditate.

Aged Gaian

5,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
I practice Judaism, I am more Orthodox, but I go to a Reform Temple. When I was younger my parents weren't religious, and we never went to Temple, and I would try to read the Tanakh, but it seemed boring to me, so I never got past Exodus. My parents became Christian when I was starting High School, and they made me go to church. I was uncomfortable by the people, they always had a huge smile, but never talked to each other, I'm sure not all are like that, and the preacher was like, "G-d came down to earth in the flesh of Jesus Christ, praise our L-rd Jesus." I just asked if we could leave because it didn't seem right to me, and not to offend Christians but it seemed like idolatry praying to Jesus. They told me to convert or I would be burning in hell, because the only way to G-d is through Jesus. I tried to believe, but I couldn't make myself worship Jesus it seemed wrong, and when I read the New Testament I just thought it didn't make much sense, Jesus didn't fulfill the prophecies and when I asked questions at Sunday School (They had different age groups) they said I was speaking blasphemy. So I stopped going to church with them.

Then I began to wonder what it really was to be a Jew. I got a few books and went to Temple, and i discovered that Judaism was everything I believed, and I thought, if Abraham, Issac, and Jacob could worship only G-d so could I. I began to read the Tanakh and Chumash, and it made sense to me, and I wasn't bored anymore. I got a Siddur and now I can say prayers from memory which I'm happy about. My parents don't practice Judaism, and call themselves Christian, but they don't read the Bible or go to church anymore, they just celebrate Christian Holidays, and I celebrate Jewish Holy Days like Purim, Passover, ect. by myself, it's not too bad. When I ask about Judaism I get satisfying answers from my Rabbi and other Jewish family members. I practice Judaism because I feel like I have to, not because G-d commands it, but because to not believe doesn't seem right. I understand why people don't believe in G-d, and I don't force my beliefs on anyone.
Galswintha
No religion currently, but I am drawn to Islam. I am reading the Qur'an and insha'Allah (God willing) I'll convert before Ramadan. If that doesn't happen, I will convert sometime insha'Allah. smile

Cool. biggrin I was raised christian. but my mom used to be jewish, so i lean more towards Jewdism.
vamperus
I practice Judaism, I am more Orthodox, but I go to a Reform Temple. When I was younger my parents weren't religious, and we never went to Temple, and I would try to read the Tanakh, but it seemed boring to me, so I never got past Exodus. My parents became Christian when I was starting High School, and they made me go to church. I was uncomfortable by the people, they always had a huge smile, but never talked to each other, I'm sure not all are like that, and the preacher was like, "G-d came down to earth in the flesh of Jesus Christ, praise our L-rd Jesus." I just asked if we could leave because it didn't seem right to me, and not to offend Christians but it seemed like idolatry praying to Jesus. They told me to convert or I would be burning in hell, because the only way to G-d is through Jesus. I tried to believe, but I couldn't make myself worship Jesus it seemed wrong, and when I read the New Testament I just thought it didn't make much sense, Jesus didn't fulfill the prophecies and when I asked questions at Sunday School (They had different age groups) they said I was speaking blasphemy. So I stopped going to church with them.

Then I began to wonder what it really was to be a Jew. I got a few books and went to Temple, and i discovered that Judaism was everything I believed, and I thought, if Abraham, Issac, and Jacob could worship only G-d so could I. I began to read the Tanakh and Chumash, and it made sense to me, and I wasn't bored anymore. I got a Siddur and now I can say prayers from memory which I'm happy about. My parents don't practice Judaism, and call themselves Christian, but they don't read the Bible or go to church anymore, they just celebrate Christian Holidays, and I celebrate Jewish Holy Days like Purim, Passover, ect. by myself, it's not too bad. When I ask about Judaism I get satisfying answers from my Rabbi and other Jewish family members. I practice Judaism because I feel like I have to, not because G-d commands it, but because to not believe doesn't seem right. I understand why people don't believe in G-d, and I don't force my beliefs on anyone.

I know how you feel, my mom used to be jewish, but after she married my christian dad, they fought alot because my dad would say 'no one lives in my house who doesnt believe in Jesus.' so eventually my mom gave in and converted to chritianity. I lean more toward Judaism myself, (my mom was conservitive) though it doesnt make my dad happy at all. I've been to church with my mom, but somehow.... it doesn't feel... right idk like.... somthings missing? sorry idk how to describe the way i feel but.....

5,750 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Invisibility 100
I'm none. I cannot practice any religion that degrades me because I was born with lady parts. I cannot believe in something without evidence of it existing. To me, the concept of an afterlife is wishful thinking and a coping mechanism for those that don't want to face the fact that their time on Earth is probably the only time they will have ever.

But that's just me.

Aged Gaian

5,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Tam_003
vamperus

I know how you feel, my mom used to be jewish, but after she married my christian dad, they fought alot because my dad would say 'no one lives in my house who doesnt believe in Jesus.' so eventually my mom gave in and converted to chritianity. I lean more toward Judaism myself, (my mom was conservitive) though it doesnt make my dad happy at all. I've been to church with my mom, but somehow.... it doesn't feel... right idk like.... somthings missing? sorry idk how to describe the way i feel but.....

Good to know someone can relate, I tell my parents I believe Jesus existed, and that he was a prophet at most, but that I don't believe he is G-d. I've had debates with them so much that they don't even bring it up anymore. I've learned more about Jesus they ever have in church doing my own research, but they still want to say they are Christian so, there isn't much I can do. I say, "Jesus was a Jew, and he read the Torah." They can't really argue when you say "I pray to G-d." Here's a website about why the Jews rejected Jesus, Click Here it helped calm my mind after having them constantly quote, "no one goes unto the father except through me." It's hard for me to think G-d rejected Moses and all the other prophets because they didn't believe in Jesus.
I'm Christian [= and I find that there is NO WAY i could live with out it. Many Religions say if your a good person you go to heaven, when one sin makes you too unclean to be in perfection. Christianity is the only one where you didnt have to work for it, because its impossible to be good enough. Christianity is the only one where God loved his people enough to die for them AND fill in that whole in the heart that says your not good enough.
vamperus
Tam_003
vamperus

Good to know someone can relate, I tell my parents I believe Jesus existed, and that he was a prophet at most, but that I don't believe he is G-d. I've had debates with them so much that they don't even bring it up anymore. I've learned more about Jesus they ever have in church doing my own research, but they still want to say they are Christian so, there isn't much I can do. I say, "Jesus was a Jew, and he read the Torah." They can't really argue when you say "I pray to G-d." Here's a website about why the Jews rejected Jesus, Click Here it helped calm my mind after having them constantly quote, "no one goes unto the father except through me." It's hard for me to think G-d rejected Moses and all the other prophets because they didn't believe in Jesus.

thank you, the website is very helpfull, i have similar arguments with my dad, but he gets really mad and tells me im not smart enouph to know what i believe. And that im not 'aloud' to not be a christian. Not to embarass him, things like that. T.T

Aged Gaian

5,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
Tam_003
vamperus
Tam_003
vamperus

thank you, the website is very helpfull, i have similar arguments with my dad, but he gets really mad and tells me im not smart enouph to know what i believe. And that im not 'aloud' to not be a christian. Not to embarass him, things like that. T.T

That must be horrible, but one day you can move out and practice whatever religion you want. I'm sorry your father can't accept you as a Jew, but it's his loss, and that's sad.
vamperus
Tam_003
vamperus
Tam_003
vamperus

That must be horrible, but one day you can move out and practice whatever religion you want. I'm sorry your father can't accept you as a Jew, but it's his loss, and that's sad.

thanks, i hope someday he can understand, and hopefully will talk to me again sad
Sheebshanks
I am a Non-denominational Christian. This means that I believe that Spliting Christianity into separate groups (Methodists, Babtists, Catholicts, etc.) Is not right, and not what God wants. It even says in the Bible, (John 17:1-all) That Jesus prayed to God for everyone to be as one; Just as God and him. I'm not a Christian because of my family. In fact, I'm the only Christian in my home. I am a Christian becuase personal experiences, belief, and just the will of my heart. I cannot make my mind think a certain way to make it so it seems Christianity is unreal. I believe because I know what I'm believing. As long as you have Jesus, the Messiah, and our own God Almighty in your heart, you are saved. And you shall go to heaven. emotion_c8

I hate to be nosy and ask, but I read your post, and was curiouse, 1.) my dads a HUGE christian and i didn't know there were diffrent 'types' of christianity and 2.) if your the only christian in your family, then what religion id your family?
Galswintha
x-CAlTLYN-x
Galswintha
No religion currently, but I am drawn to Islam. I am reading the Qur'an and insha'Allah (God willing) I'll convert before Ramadan. If that doesn't happen, I will convert sometime insha'Allah. smile

Hm, interesting.

Good interesting or bad interesting? I have lost some friends just because I am reading the Qur'an. I haven't even converted yet and the Christians are already pulling out their Bibles. That is mainly a figure of speech but I have met one Christian who did pull out his Bible and trying to make me what he thinks a Christian should be.

im sorry but thats a bunch of crap, no one should leave you because of what you do or don't beliefe, and if they are that low or/and try to shove their believes down your throat, then they are shitty friends and your better off without them..... I had a friend like that too, but i got tired of it and broke the friendship off.
Zen atheist Luciferian Mormon Catholic Thelemite.

Adventuring Streaker

9,825 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Inquisitor 200
I'm a Muslim.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers