Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Genius

Xiam
Red_Starrz
Xiam
Red_Starrz
Nityananda-rama dasa
Red_Starrz
Does science not explain that everything started from nothing?

No, no it doesn't.

Cool story.

Tell it again?

Bada ba bada ba...
badum bum badum bum...

nothing existed, not space, time, matter, or energy - nothing

I love a good story.

Nothing? Well, that's just retarded. We don't know what existed before the Big Bang, and it could be equally possible that the singularity was caused by a Big Crunch - the collapse of a prior universe, in a never-ending cycle of cosmic rebirth. Of course, then you could go into various other theories about black holes, multiverses, M-theory... and it gets really crazy from there.

So yeah... maybe you should try a little harder.

And no, science doesn't have all the answers. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers. And hell, many answers usually just bring new questions. Because that's how humans are. They're naturally curious creatures, and science is another method by which they seek answers. It's not some Grand Source of Wisdom, the Almighty Science. It's a ******** system of learning.

Oh finally someone I agree with. I agree suddenly we're supposed to know the answer to how our universe started when we barely know how it works in the first place? Jesus if we ever figure it out it will be after several Singularities. Honestly the best we can do is keep learning and not rely on some old prejudiced belief system.

Hunter

I don't belong to a religion, nor have I really tried to define my religious standpoint in any way other than the simple "atheist".
I find religion interesting in the same way I find other cultures and general history interesting, and not being spiritual has never bothered me. I never believed in a god or Santa Clause or any other mythical beings of the sort, and Ive never truly cared to find out why. Not to say I have never tried to learn about religion, or its history, rather Ive never looked at it in a "maybe this is true" kind of way. Its just always been that way for me.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Katian Wolf
Xiam
Red_Starrz

Nothing? Well, that's just retarded. We don't know what existed before the Big Bang, and it could be equally possible that the singularity was caused by a Big Crunch - the collapse of a prior universe, in a never-ending cycle of cosmic rebirth. Of course, then you could go into various other theories about black holes, multiverses, M-theory... and it gets really crazy from there.

So yeah... maybe you should try a little harder.

And no, science doesn't have all the answers. Science doesn't claim to have all the answers. And hell, many answers usually just bring new questions. Because that's how humans are. They're naturally curious creatures, and science is another method by which they seek answers. It's not some Grand Source of Wisdom, the Almighty Science. It's a ******** system of learning.

Oh finally someone I agree with. I agree suddenly we're supposed to know the answer to how our universe started when we barely know how it works in the first place? Jesus if we ever figure it out it will be after several Singularities. Honestly the best we can do is keep learning and not rely on some old prejudiced belief system.

Which is the beauty of science, of course - if it becomes outdated, they throw it the ******** out.

This, of course, can be hard to do, so the new model has to have all its s**t straight before they can even go, "Whoa, okay, you've got a good point." I mean, hell, nobody likes to be wrong, am I right? So you gotta come about it in a very intelligent, convincing manner.

Which, unfortunately, Creationists fail to do. They have absolutely nothing to back up their claims, except with the Bible. That'd be like trying to argue history with an old classroom textbook that still considers Piltdown Man a legitimate find.

What's more, the topic of Creationists' book is all wrong. It's a collection of mythology, history, folklore, and law of a nomadic-turned-settled tribe in the Middle East circa a couple thousand years ago. It's not a book of science, it's a book of culture and tradition. Which admittedly can be useful in certain realms of science - anthropologists or historians, for instance, would consider it vital to understand that particular tribe, or the cultures that derived from it - but over time the importance upon mankind has become diluted, especially the promises of the immediate End of Days were not, in fact, that immediate. Also with time, we have begun to rely upon our senses and reason rather than the priesthood (though perhaps we have developed a new priesthood of PhD's and figureheads of the field). So yeah... it's a bit hard to come by.

And for me, at least, it seems absurd to follow one culture's traditions, but no others. As if somehow their deity is bigger, better, more legitimate than the others. Which I see no evidence of beyond their word - which is, considering the rest of their unfounded claims, not so convincing.

That's not to say the Abrahamic faith does not have purpose or meaning. It has a lot of meaning, just as every other faith has meaning. But we can't expect any single viewpoint to tell the whole picture. In fact, I've found that studying multiple viewpoints actually enlarges, and clarifies, the greater picture. And I've known people who have learned these things, and it actually strengthened their faith. What's more, they've got a more open mind to others' opinions, which is particularly great.

So I'm all for that.

Friendly Citizen

Red_Starrz

Not meaning to be critical here, but the music in that video was very poor and corny. Now, I can't take a source like that seriously, but I see where this is going. I did not know that it was actually speculated that Jesus learned yoga. However, I hope you don't take offence in my hesitance to take that as proof that such events happened. The only reason why the NT explains Jesus's childhood, was because it was appealing the the Gentiles. I don't intend on limiting Christ's ability, but the gospels were not entirely accurate, 3 being synoptic and created well over 30 years past his death. They are not the most historical... Nor is the Bible. 18 years is a very trivial thing to have misplaced, especially when the bible is in the shape that its in.

Lastly, I have thought that the Big Bang was in no way significant until the trigger was pulled. And because it did happen, something did come from nothing. Did it not? Forget about the entire universe shoved into a tiny tiny area, which is what we know as the big bang. All the mass and energy combined in the universe has been accounted for there. But what necessarily caused it? Can any scientist really explain that? Was there not something that came from nothing?

Oh don't worry, I'm not offended. Unlike some other people, I can debate without calling the other person a complete retard. xp

And I definitely do agree with you on how much of the Bible is fornicated. When the Romans seized power and took over the church, they also changed a lot of the Bible to match their own philosophies. I think the Bible is something you have to take with a grain of salt, not to follow it to a T (because if you do then you think it's okay to sell your teenage daughter). I know that sounds hypocritical of me since I consider myself religious, but it's basically one I have formed purely on my own beliefs.

Well, as for the big bang, I think this is one subject that is truly one of it's own. There are many explanations out there, and who knows? Maybe none of them are right. All in all, I think the main purpose in life is to not take anything for granted, and to love and be loved. 3nodding
I do not belong to any religion, but I am a Christian. Why am I a Christian? Because I found myself worthy of death and no way out. I am worthy of the harshest death penalty there is. But one day, someone took my punishment in my place. I am not worthy of anything, but God shared His everlasting love for me, who is absolutely worthless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff