Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Millionaire

7,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Streaker 200
Catholic, because their beliefs are the closest to the ones I hold and I identify with them more than any other faith.
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
Xiam
CaseyCrazed
Buddhism if that counts.

Why would it not? Some forms of Buddhism do allow for deities, and Buddhist temples get tax breaks. emotion_awesome
Most forms of Buddhism are theistic. Theravada on the other hand, is atheistic, but is still a religion. It counts. Theism isn't a prerequisite to being considered a religion. :3
If theravada is atheistic why does the Pali Canon have so many deities in it?
Dunno. Why does The Satanic Bible and The Satanic Rituals have so many deities in it?

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
Xiam
CaseyCrazed
Buddhism if that counts.

Why would it not? Some forms of Buddhism do allow for deities, and Buddhist temples get tax breaks. emotion_awesome
Most forms of Buddhism are theistic. Theravada on the other hand, is atheistic, but is still a religion. It counts. Theism isn't a prerequisite to being considered a religion. :3
Dunno. Why does The Satanic Bible and The Satanic Rituals have so many deities in it?
Theravada isn't atheistic, on Sri Lanka they worship some in addition to Buddhism. It's accepted that they exist. They even have words to describe them Brahma and deva, deva even shares its roots in indo European language with deus.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Dimmer Meerkat
Xiam
CaseyCrazed
Buddhism if that counts.

Right.

I wonder what does make them considered a religion... I suppose the rituals involved. Which are... uh... meditation...?
None, I am an atheist.
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
Xiam
CaseyCrazed
Buddhism if that counts.

Theravada isn't atheistic, on Sri Lanka they worship some in addition to Buddhism. It's accepted that they exist. They even have words to describe them Brahma and deva, deva even shares its roots in indo European language with deus.
In addition to, or as a part of Buddhism? That might be an important distinction.

I haven't dug in to Buddhism that much because it frankly doesn't really interest me. I've been operating under the idea that their faith encompasses deities but pays little to no homage to them, and modern day, doesn't believe in them beyond their symbolism
Islam. smile I am a convert. smile

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Lucie Darnay

Have you just been making tons of accounts recently and popping into threads saying your a convert?

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
In addition to, or as a part of Buddhism? That might be an important distinction.

I haven't dug in to Buddhism that much because it frankly doesn't really interest me. I've been operating under the idea that their faith encompasses deities but pays little to no homage to them, and modern day, doesn't believe in them beyond their symbolism

That's not really the case, most Buddhists and there sects acknowledged "and" pay homage to them as very real entitys with a much higher practical and spiritual importance than symbolism.
Abdul Salaam
Lucie Darnay

Have you just been making tons of accounts recently and popping into threads saying your a convert?

Nope. Why? Has someone been doing that? If so, that's stupid.
Abdul Salaam
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat

That's not really the case, most Buddhists and there sects acknowledged "and" pay homage to them as very real entitys with a much higher practical and spiritual importance than symbolism.
Pardon, I meant Theravada Buddhists in particular. I should have restated that.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Dimmer Meerkat
Abdul Salaam
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat

Id still have to be a finicky b*****d and call you on this again.

From my experiance "with" Theravada Buddhists (few weekend stays at Monastarys, friends, reading, a seven month stretch of practice) which may not be expansive, I have found that most Theravada Buddhists "do" hold to the existance of Devas and the likes as much more than Symbolic creatures.

Though Catfish would be the one to really ask, he's the pro in this area.
Abdul Salaam
Dimmer Meerkat
Abdul Salaam
Dimmer Meerkat
The Catfish Blues
Dimmer Meerkat

Id still have to be a finicky b*****d and call you on this again.

From my experiance "with" Theravada Buddhists (few weekend stays at Monastarys, friends, reading, a seven month stretch of practice) which may not be expansive, I have found that most Theravada Buddhists "do" hold to the existance of Devas and the likes as much more than Symbolic creatures.

Though Catfish would be the one to really ask, he's the pro in this area.
There's nothing to "call" me on, since I wasn't making a claim. razz I was explaining my concession and lack of knowledge on the subject.
I'm a Christian biggrin I believe in God and believe that Jesus Christ is my savior. Why? I may not be very good with reading the bible, and I don't go to church as often as I should... but it's inspiring to know that one being who cares for me and love me as well as well as all others who live on earth.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
None. However, I hold a philosophy that is known as Naturalistic Pantheism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff