Welcome to Gaia! ::

OG GO

What is the soul?

How does it work?

Is there a difference between spirit and soul?

Can a soul be man made?

Can a person lose their soul and continue to exist?

Is it consciousness?

Does it look like our body?

Where is it inside of us?

I am currently taking on a form of bible studies, this is the first time i have really read the book and had someone irl to explain as best they can my questions.

But one person can not tell me everything, i don't feel i can elaborate on this subject with him as he is fully set in his faith. I am seeking faith but i want to keep a mind of reason and logic, I need your ideas and opinions. What does your faith or lack there of say about this?

It is only the beginning of a long journey for me, please help explain at least this portion a little bit.

EDIT;

Wiki on the soul

The Bible

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Damien_Hargreaves
What is the soul?

An imaginary concept/idea.

Quote:
How does it work?

Well, like all made-up things, there are no actual instructions as to how it works.

Quote:

Both are things to refer to a person's inner nature.

Quote:
Can a soul be man made?

Well, it depends on how you define 'soul'.

Quote:

Can someone lose something they knew they never had, nor were they aware of them having it? Is it a loss?

Quote:
Is it consciousness?

Well, if you wish to refer to your brain as your 'soul', then, yes...as that is where consciousness resides.

Quote:

It can and cannot; Again, it's imaginary and made up. It's like asking what a Boggart looks like.

Quote:

No idea. Our big toe?

OG GO

AngryVeganQueer

I like your answers, do you base them off of personal religious view or logical ((Common sense)) thought process?

Do you have better questions i might ask others and even myself about this subject to further growth?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Damien_Hargreaves
AngryVeganQueer

I like your answers, do you base them off of personal religious view or logical ((Common sense)) thought process?

Do you have better questions i might ask others and even myself about this subject to further growth?

arrow I have no religious views on the subject, though my personal views have foundations in science (biology, anthropology, psychology). I have come to the conclusion that it is highly improbable that we humans have any part of us which transcends death as a conscious entity, for consciousness, as far as we can determine, is tied to biological/organic processes in sentient beings. Once that being's central nervous system shuts down, nothing remains. If something did in fact remain, it could be measured somehow.
To the best of my knowledge (and I would go so far as to say our knowledge as a species) the idea of the soul survived as a narrative to explain the unknown event of death...an extension of earthly existence, with even punishments and rewards being doled out after a person died.
Any evidence seems to point to there not being a soul or an afterlife for us to go to.

arrow

Perhaps you should ask yourself and others why you believe in the existence of souls. Really look at your reasoning and see whether it stems from a personal fear of death as is natural with mammals and higher organisms.

Floppy Member

Damien_Hargreaves
What is the soul?

There is no evidence for such a thing outside of religion and myth.

Quote:
How does it work?

There is no evidence that such a thing exists, but if it did the manner in which it works might lead us to being able to examine it. In other words, the missing manner in which a soul works is part of that absence of evidence for a soul's existence.

Quote:

If we could demonstrate that these things exist, we could then compare them.

Quote:
Can a soul be man made?

Does a soul exist?

Quote:

Souls don't appear to exist at all, so it would seem we function without them just fine.

Quote:
Is it consciousness?

Consciousness is an emergent property of a functional brain.

Quote:

It's imaginary, as far as I can tell.

Quote:

Nowhere that can be demonstrated. We know what humans are composed of. "Soul" is not one of the ingredients.

Quote:
I am currently taking on a form of bible studies, this is the first time i have really read the book and had someone irl to explain as best they can my questions.

Oh my. Well, good luck with that. I would not personally trust religion to give any rational answers for that which is best explained by science.

Quote:
But one person can not tell me everything, i don't feel i can elaborate on this subject with him as he is fully set in his faith.

That's understandable, considering that faith is belief in that for which there is not sufficient evidence to compel belief.

Quote:
I am seeking faith but i want to keep a mind of reason and logic, I need your ideas and opinions.

My stark honest opinion is that a mind of reason and logic will reject faith. These are not compatible states of mind. The result will be cognitive distortions.

Quote:
What does your faith or lack there of say about this?

Lack of faith doesn't "say" anything, because it is an absence. wink

Quote:
It is only the beginning of a long journey for me, please help explain at least this portion a little bit.

OK, how can I be more helpful?

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Did anyone else want to quote Vlad Tepes from Symphony of the Night for a second there?

Just me?

The soul's a concept to separate us from "mere animals" as some might more crudely state it. However, we know little to nothing as to what consciousness really is or what it entails, and more importantly who or what is conscious.

Lonely Lunatic

The greatest mistake a man can make is to think that all is known.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I have no idea. Nobody has explained it to me properly.

Floppy Member

GutzGuitar

What does this have to do with the concept of "the soul"?

Lonely Lunatic

The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar

Not everything can be explained right now or by current means. In the 60-70s people didn't even know what HIV, AIDs, Lime Disease, most mental illnesses, or things like aspergers or anything were. People didn't understand radiation or pollution either. For anyone to claim they know if a soul is real or not is just foolish, you can't know - there is no possible means for the current world as it is to understand anything ethereal at all. Remember, people can't hear ultra-high frequencies either, we can't see ultra-violet, if there is something greater - it would always be simply too great for our physical bodies to experience or properly comprehend.

Floppy Member

GutzGuitar
The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar

Not everything can be explained right now or by current means. In the 60-70s people didn't even know what HIV, AIDs, Lime Disease, most mental illnesses, or things like aspergers or anything were. People didn't understand radiation or pollution either. For anyone to claim they know if a soul is real or not is just foolish, you can't know - there is no possible means for the current world as it is to understand anything ethereal at all. Remember, people can't hear ultra-high frequencies either, we can't see ultra-violet, if there is something greater - it would always be simply too great for our physical bodies to experience or properly comprehend.

OK but here's the thing - we can demonstrate that ultra-high frequencies exist, as well as ultra-violet, and other things which we cannot detect with our unassisted senses. There was evidence to indicate that we should look for these things, and using science, we have found the answers, using these same physical bodies to operate instruments that allow us to exceed our senses. The answers are natural, and we can demonstrate the results repeatedly. The same cannot be said for the notion of a soul. There isn't evidence for any such thing outside of religion and myth. Every time we have gone searching for answers, the answers we have found have always been "not magic". I am not sure the notion of some immortal substance such as a souls is described to be, is not simply an appeal to "magic" without some type of evidence that it is "not magic".

When it comes to knowing all the answers, religion has that covered. There is a reason we have a period of history known as the Dark Ages - and that reason is religion.

Lonely Lunatic

The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar
The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar

OK but here's the thing - we can demonstrate that ultra-high frequencies exist, as well as ultra-violet, and other things which we cannot detect with our unassisted senses. There was evidence to indicate that we should look for these things, and using science, we have found the answers, using these same physical bodies to operate instruments that allow us to exceed our senses. The answers are natural, and we can demonstrate the results repeatedly. The same cannot be said for the notion of a soul. There isn't evidence for any such thing outside of religion and myth. Every time we have gone searching for answers, the answers we have found have always been "not magic". I am not sure the notion of some immortal substance such as a souls is described to be, is not simply an appeal to "magic" without some type of evidence that it is "not magic".

When it comes to knowing all the answers, religion has that covered. There is a reason we have a period of history known as the Dark Ages - and that reason is religion.

Yes but the amount of time it takes to discover things equates to centuries - several millenniums. In 4000 years of recorded human history - there is about 20-30 years where science discovered or thought of anything at all. We still discover new insects, animals, fish, and more daily - we don't know everything, we don't look for anything. No scientist or engineer would actively build a 'soul finding machine' because they wouldn't know what to look for or where to measure anything like that. Do you believe in Steven Hawking? Do you know everything he publishes has always been simply theory?

And I find it completely idiotic for anyone to think that you have to believe in a religion to have any association with a soul or god. Not to mention, there are more religions then Theism - always has been. Completely short sighted to judge by the merits of Christianity and Catholicism, which we all know have a habit of reworking their scriptures and beliefs to suit their needs. Look it up, America wasn't even founded on those principles - Washington and etc were all Deists who believed in god but not religion.

Floppy Member

GutzGuitar
The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar
The Legendary Guest
GutzGuitar

Yes but the amount of time it takes to discover things equates to centuries - several millenniums.

What "things" take centuries to discover? What are you talking about? The entire Common Era is only two millennia, what's this "several millennia" you think it takes to "discover" anything? So things take time - so what?

Quote:
In 4000 years of recorded human history - there is about 20-30 years where science discovered or thought of anything at all.

Nonsense. Source that claim, if you can. Last I checked, Archimedes was working on engineering principles during his lifetime.

Quote:
We still discover new insects, animals, fish, and more daily - we don't know everything, we don't look for anything.

Finding new species is making discoveries. Medical research continues successfully. Research in general continues successfully. We continue to look, have you not been paying attention to the reports coming from the rover Curiousity?

Quote:
No scientist or engineer would actively build a 'soul finding machine' because they wouldn't know what to look for or where to measure anything like that.

And that would be because there is no evidence for such a thing existing. A doctor actually tested for a "soul" using pre-death vs. post-death weight loss as the evidence. Nobody has been able to reproduce the results of his experiment and the study itself has been discredited, but that's how science works. You follow the evidence.

Quote:
Do you believe in Steven Hawking?

Steven Hawking is demonstrably real. He exists whether or not I believe in him.

Quote:
Do you know everything he publishes has always been simply theory?

Are you seriously using the common usage of "theory" in the place of the term "scientific theory" and thinking that I don't know the difference?

Quote:
And I find it completely idiotic for anyone to think that you have to believe in a religion to have any association with a soul or god.

I personally find it idiotic that you're attempting to burn a strawman here. I did not say that you had to believe in a religion to have any "association" (whatever that means) with "a soul or god".

Quote:
Not to mention, there are more religions then Theism - always has been.

Definitely a strawman. Who claimed that there were not other religions besides theistic religions? Oh yes - not me.

Quote:
Completely short sighted to judge by the merits of Christianity and Catholicism, which we all know have a habit of reworking their scriptures and beliefs to suit their needs.

Would that be more or less short sighted than making up a strawman argument to attack rather than addressing what was actually posted, in your esteemed opinion?

Quote:
Look it up, America wasn't even founded on those principles - Washington and etc were all Deists who believed in god but not religion.

I know that. I just posted about it within the last week. I also know this is completely irrelevant to my post. Do you have an actual point or did you just come to froth at the mouth?
I don't think the soul is this measurable glob of something that moves around and can be measured and examined.

It is our own innermost consciousness, our most authentic 'self'. The part of us that can never die and always is. It's a felt state of being rather than an external substance.

This comes from the idea that the physical world is an expression of consciousness, rather than the other way around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff