Welcome to Gaia! ::

I haven't seen any convincing evidence for the existence of any God yet, maybe someone can convince me now.
Edit: Or argument.
There isn't any.

Nada. None. Zilch.

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Ulrich
I haven't seen any convincing evidence for the existence of any God yet, maybe someone can convince me now.

If your looking for physical evidence, then none exist.

Spiritual evidence is something for you to find. And it wouldn't qualify as legit to some people.
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

Spiritual evidence is something for you to find. And it wouldn't qualify as legit to some people.

Your right, and it shouldn't qualify as evidence for anyone. If it can't be tested, then it is not evidence. If there is such a thing as a spiritual realm, then it should be detectable by science. If not, it is then irrelevant.

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

Your right, and it shouldn't qualify as evidence for anyone. If it can't be tested, then it is not evidence. If there is such a thing as a spiritual realm, then it should be detectable by science. If not, it is then irrelevant.

I believe it is possible that its an alternate universe. Where the laws there are much different from the ones in this one.
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

I believe it is possible that its an alternate universe. Where the laws there are much different from the ones in this one.

I can acknowledge the possibility of the existence of such a dimension or universe. But if it does not or cannot interact with our universe, it is useless.

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

I can acknowledge the possibility of the existence of such a dimension or universe. But if it does not or cannot interact with our universe, it is useless.

That's what I think. Maybe the unseen can enter it. Something we can only see if we are dead. A rebirth, but the Earth won't look like the earth. Just particles. Our eyes will only be able to see what this new dimension is once we enter it. It's hard for me to explain, but its like it would only interacts with our universe if somebody died. Either they are one or heaven and hell are separate.
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

That's what I think. Maybe the unseen can enter it. Something we can only see if we are dead. A rebirth, but the Earth won't look like the earth. Just particles. Our eyes will only be able to see what this new dimension is once we enter it. It's hard for me to explain, but its like it would only interacts with our universe if somebody died. Either they are one or heaven and hell are separate.

Hmm, possible. But I think... very unlikely. Given that all life as we know it had evolved from simpler organisms, it seems that life and death are just but part of a cycle. Because if we did have this supernatural dimension, at what point during our evolutionary process did start gaining access to such a place? Or perhaps all living organisms go there? It doesn't really make sense if that place does exist.

8,050 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

Hmm, possible. But I think... very unlikely. Given that all life as we know it had evolved from simpler organisms, it seems that life and death are just but part of a cycle. Because if we did have this supernatural dimension, at what point during our evolutionary process did start gaining access to such a place? Or perhaps all living organisms go there? It doesn't really make sense if that place does exist.

I know. That's what I'm trying to think of. A possibility that makes sense. One that doesn't seem flawed. But I doubt that's possible. And people did say proving the Big Bang to be more than a theory was not likely. And look what happened.

Seeker

Alashuko The Fighter

I know. That's what I'm trying to think of. A possibility that makes sense. One that doesn't seem flawed. But I doubt that's possible. And people did say proving the Big Bang to be more than a theory was not likely. And look what happened.

There's no such thing as "more than a theory".

I know, you're going to say "Scientific LAWs", like the "Law of Gravity", but honestly, the Law of Gravity is more inconsistent than more recent theories of gravity.

The Big Bang is a theory, and we have nothing that consistently explains expansion than it. Evolution is a theory because it too is the best description of events.

The lay definition of theory is more like an idea or hypothesis. A scientific theory is an idea or hypothesis that's been tested multiple times and has never yet been proven wrong.

So yeah, there's not really anywhere for the Big Bang theory to go. It's already at the top.

Seeker

Ulrich
Alashuko The Fighter
Ulrich

Ah, see! You got it right there!

"If there is such a thing as a spiritual realm, then it should be detectable by science. If not, it is then irrelevant."

So if you're asking a scientific question, then no, there's no scientific evidence for any deity, aside, perhaps, from people who feel the universe itself is god, in which case, well, it's pretty obvious that the universe exists.

If you mean from a spiritual perspective, then non-falsifiable reasons and knowledge exist.

ib4 Only scientific knowledge is knowledge and objective reality because hahaha good luck proving that.

Shameless Mystic

Talk to the guy.

Heroic Hero

Ok I'll bite. Well proving a specific deity is hard, and that delves into faith and belief. But you can talk about a probable cause for a divine being with cosmological arguments.

Probably the best argument is the cosmological argument for the universe having a beginning with the Big Bang. If the universe was started from a singularity with such dense matter, than what caused the Big Bang in the first place? Why would something come from nothing with the potential to build a universe and eventually life? We don't usually see something come from nothing. Many people see that logically a divine Creator fits the beginning of the universe.

You could also examine teleological arguments. Some would say that the intricate complexities in nature point to a God's fingerprint in creation. That would relate to Intelligent Design theory.

There's also the argument of Anthropomorphic Principle and people would say that for life to exist at all, several physical laws have to be at just a certain parameter, while with everything else we have seen in the universe (planets etc), the odds of life not forming on most of them are so high that it is miraculous that life even exists on this planet. Also everything on earth is so fine-tuned as well, were some parameters off just slightly life would cease to exist here. Earth also is perfectly situated in the Milky Way for the observation of other galaxies, so there is the philosophical idea that we are perfectly situated both for life and for discovery in the universe.

Seeker

Hidden Path
Ok I'll bite. Well proving a specific deity is hard, and that delves into faith and belief. But you can talk about a probable cause for a divine being with cosmological arguments.

Probably the best argument is the cosmological argument for the universe having a beginning with the Big Bang. If the universe was started from a singularity with such dense matter, than what caused the Big Bang in the first place? Why would something come from nothing with the potential to build a universe and eventually life? We don't usually see something come from nothing. Many people see that logically a divine Creator fits the beginning of the universe.

But what, then, created the Creator? If there was nothing, then why is there a necessity of one at all as Creation itself could be self-created, eliminating the extra step.

Hidden Path
You could also examine teleological arguments. Some would say that the intricate complexities in nature point to a God's fingerprint in creation. That would relate to Intelligent Design theory.

Intelligent Design is not a theory, it is an idea proposed by certain people in an effort to make creationism sound like science. Intelligent Design is non-falsifiable, and only falsifiable ideas can be tested, to say nothing of tested rigorously enough to earn the descriptor "theory".

Hidden Path
There's also the argument of Anthropomorphic Principle and people would say that for life to exist at all, several physical laws have to be at just a certain parameter, while with everything else we have seen in the universe (planets etc), the odds of life not forming on most of them are so high that it is miraculous that life even exists on this planet. Also everything on earth is so fine-tuned as well, were some parameters off just slightly life would cease to exist here. Earth also is perfectly situated in the Milky Way for the observation of other galaxies, so there is the philosophical idea that we are perfectly situated both for life and for discovery in the universe.

I'm sorry, but that's just blatantly false. The obvious thing being, if life didn't exist on Earth we wouldn't be here wondering why life exists on Earth and how lucky it is that Earth is where it is, etc...

Next, perfectly situated? We're on a ball of rock, orbiting a mundane star, in an arm of a commonly shaped galaxy. There is nothing, nothing, at all remarkable about the Earth, Sol, or the Milky Way itself, other than the fact that we happen to live here.

stealthmongoose recently shared this with me, so I'll pass it along to you, in order for you to understand some of the errors in these arguments:

Hidden Path

I don't think we have ever observed anything coming from nothing, really. Unless your talking on the quantum level. It is possible that a creator deity created the universe with or without us in view. There is however, several viable models of the universe that say suggest that the universe is eternal and others that have everything coming from nothing. The only problem is that any of the hypothesis has been proved, and I don't think it will ever be, maybe.

Well, evolution by natural selection pretty much explains why all life is so complex. God could have played a part in the process, but there is no reason to believe he did. Occam's razor should be applied here.

I think you mean anthropic principle, unless it is synonymous. IDK. I'm not too familiar with the anthropic principle, but that is a pretty bold claim, saying that "were some parameters off just slightly life would cease to exist here". How do you know this? Or maybe, a different set of species would have evolved?

What do you mean "perfectly situated in the Milky Way for the observation of other galaxies"? If we evolved on a different planet in a different solar system in a different galaxy to the point we are now in our cosmic life. We would be able to observe the cosmos from their too.

Keep in mind, that these arguments will only take an individual to the deist position. Occam's razor makes God redundant, but these arguments can only be believed by those who want to believe it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff