There is/are no god(s) 0.475 47.5% [ 19 ]
Total Votes:[ 40 ]
< 1 2 3 >

Quotable Harvester

stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
I can't just ignore what my mind tells me is true.

But I don't have to convince you of it. There's no real point. You're not me, and will not see what I see or feel what I feel.

I assert that there are many things two or more people living in the same universe will feel and see in their lifetime.

Your experience seems unique, but as it is not presented it probably isn't.

Unless you're saying that the camera records something other than what you point it at.

Is it pointed at a mugging, or the dramatic recreation of one? It is the same for the camera either way.

I have seen muggings, and dramatic recreations. Perhaps you could demonstrate what you're feeling so i can relate further, as you don't appear to be alone in much so far.

If there are no unique feelings and thus no unique people or events then there is even less of a point to relate.

But since you asked. One day while just seeing what the new state we had moved to was like my wife and I went to a Shinto jinja where I was moved by the spirit of the Okami Ishzuchi-no-mikoto.

I didn't attest to much before that, but now I have a faith that I support as best I can.

I wouldn't bother asking anyone to think it was real or that I should. It's what I feel. What I do about it is up to me.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Well, i can personally relate to the feeling of divine guidance, though the reality of it can be a bit disappointing if that is your standard.

In my exploration of faith i've found that given the right focus, much is convinceable. My feelings that once relied on instinct and know-how were now attributed to deities and demigods. My feelings of dread and anguish now represented by cartoon devils and stories of demons.

In one very real to me instance i found myself staring at a youtube video that was aired on halloween. The title of the video was "Don't click, it's scary!!!" so of course i clicked it. Upon clicking this video, several frightening scenes began to play (like shockers) including an image of a very frail and dead looking girl crawling on the ceiling of the video towards the viewer. Then i found myself asking to be scared. I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be great if something frightened me so badly i almost went insane?"

And then it happened. At least i thought it did.

The screen shifted to a full view of what looked like my room. It was like the webcam that was connected at the time had suddenly become posessed and started recording my side of the screen. But something was off. The picture looked distorted, as though my surroundings were blurred, and then the screen flashed and on the screen the boy that was sitting at the seat where i would be on my side began to scream. Then i began to scream.

For the better part of a week i was convinced that I had lost it. I convinced myself that nothing made sense anymore, that i was dead, that I had been raptured, raped, whatever i could do to not face the reality.

I had been pranked. The camera being connected to my computer made it easy for a site-end program to hijack it and start recording my surroundings. Such computer programs also make it possible to place layers of images over video in real time. Such image software could superimpose images created by the artist over a video in real time. Given that most people put their webcams on top of their monitors, it would have been easy to make me a victim of this clever but non-supernatural scare.

Sometimes things make us feel strongly, and i can relate to that. I suppose where we differ is our will to investigate those feelings in certain ways.

Quotable Harvester

stealthmongoose
Well, i can personally relate to the feeling of divine guidance, though the reality of it can be a bit disappointing if that is your standard.

In my exploration of faith i've found that given the right focus, much is convinceable. My feelings that once relied on instinct and know-how were now attributed to deities and demigods. My feelings of dread and anguish now represented by cartoon devils and stories of demons.

In one very real to me instance i found myself staring at a youtube video that was aired on halloween. The title of the video was "Don't click, it's scary!!!" so of course i clicked it. Upon clicking this video, several frightening scenes began to play (like shockers) including an image of a very frail and dead looking girl crawling on the ceiling of the video towards the viewer. Then i found myself asking to be scared. I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be great if something frightened me so badly i almost went insane?"

The screen shifted to a full view of what looked like my room. It was like the webcam that was connected at the time had suddenly become posessed and started recording my side of the screen. But something was off. The picture looked distorted, as though my surroundings were blurred, and then the screen flashed and on the screen the boy that was sitting at the seat where i would be on my side began to scream. Then i began to scream.

For the better part of a week i was convinced that I had lost it. I convinced myself that nothing made sense anymore, that i was dead, that I had been raptured, raped, whatever i could do to not face the reality.

I had been pranked. The camera being connected to my computer made it easy for a site-end program to hijack it and start recording my surroundings. Such computer programs also make it possible to place layers of images over video in real time. Such image software could superimpose images created by the artist over a video in real time. Given that most people put their webcams on top of their monitors, it would have been easy to make me a victim of this clever but non-supernatural scare.

Sometimes things make us feel strongly, and i can relate to that. I suppose where we differ is our will to investigate those feelings in certain ways.

Did you ever go back to see if that was what was happening?

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

This is the kicker mate. I was terrified that day and closed my browser instantly. I don't know if that video was up for the entirety of the halloween weekend or whatnot, but by the next few days i went back to look for it and couldn't find it.

Seems like a ghost story. It's very possible that it is, but i find it more likely that on halloween youtube found a clever way to trick a large number of users who sit in front of a screen with their webcam on top of their monitor and scare the s**t out of them.

I wish i could find more data on the event, since the uncertainty itches. There are various videos in similar format around youtube that use the "Watch at your own risk" type popup scares, but none that seem to hijack the person's webcam to superimpose those images over their view. IT's also possible that one of the kids screaming in the video have similar rooms to mine and i might be giving youtube too much credit.

One thing is for sure, and that's that it scared me. Does that make it true? Hell no. There's nothing true about this prank. At worst it's the CIA or another Youtube prankster trying to scare the s**t out of everyone. At best it's a non-prankster doing the same thing and i just happened to watch it and realized that the room in the shot looked similar to mine.

Quotable Harvester

stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

This is the kicker mate. I was terrified that day and closed my browser instantly. I don't know if that video was up for the entirety of the halloween weekend or whatnot, but by the next few days i went back to look for it and couldn't find it.

Seems like a ghost story. It's very possible that it is, but i find it more likely that on halloween youtube found a clever way to trick a large number of users who sit in front of a screen with their webcam on top of their monitor and scare the s**t out of them.

I wish i could find more data on the event, since the uncertainty itches. There are various videos in similar format around youtube that use the "Watch at your own risk" type popup scares, but none that seem to hijack the person's webcam to superimpose those images over their view. IT's also possible that one of the kids screaming in the video have similar rooms to mine and i might be giving youtube too much credit.

One thing is for sure, and that's that it scared me. Does that make it true? Hell no. There's nothing true about this prank. At worst it's the CIA or another Youtube prankster trying to scare the s**t out of everyone. At best it's a non-prankster doing the same thing and i just happened to watch it and realized that the room in the shot looked similar to mine.

Do you have anyone to collaborate your data? In that the video existed at all not your response to it?

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

Do you have anyone to collaborate your data? In that the video existed at all not your response to it?

The only people who were there were my parents who heard me scream, then they just walked in as I closed the browser.

It's an isolated incident, but i can find you similar videos to see if any of them speak to you. I might even be making it more of an event than it really was. This is the benefit of evidence you see, and i have none.

I'm sure someone in youtube's archive servers can take a look at my account or my IP address from two years ago and see if the video is still there in my IP's history, but i doubt very much that will happen.

*15 minutes later*

Yeah, just scoured youtube for "Watch at your own risk halloween scary" and similar keywords, but i can't find a video on par with the one i watched. There are plenty of pop-up screamer videos, but the one i watched had like 3 or 4 scenes strung together including that one with the kid in a room similar to mine.

Quotable Harvester

stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

The only people who were there were my parents who heard me scream, then they just walked in as I closed the browser.

It's an isolated incident, but i can find you similar videos to see if any of them speak to you. I might even be making it more of an event than it really was. This is the benefit of evidence you see, and i have none.

I'm sure someone in youtube's archive servers can take a look at my account or my IP address from two years ago and see if the video is still there in my IP's history, but i doubt very much that will happen.

*15 minutes later*

Yeah, just scoured youtube for "Watch at your own risk halloween scary" and similar keywords, but i can't find a video on par with the one i watched. There are plenty of pop-up screamer videos, but the one i watched had like 3 or 4 scenes strung together including that one with the kid in a room similar to mine.

Then can you honestly ask me if it's more likely that something out of the normal happened to you in a way that we don't understand, or that people hacked your computer in real time via youtube just to freak out a hand full of people who might have looked at any number of videos?

You didn't act like it was just one more trivial scare.

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

*15 minutes later*

Then can you honestly ask me if it's more likely that something out of the normal happened to you in a way that we don't understand, or that people hacked your computer in real time via youtube just to freak out a hand full of people who might have looked at any number of videos?

In my personal opinion it's actually pretty easy.

1. If it was something that happened out of the ordinary in a way that we don't understand, chances are it was an inordinary event and would be absent of ordinary factors.

2. If people hacked me or a number of users personally, it would indicate that either my group of 'scare guinea pigs' was special or the victims of random selection for testing common real time editing technology.

3. This one is seeming more and more likely the more we have this conversation: It's very likely that i only imposed the idea of the room being similar to mine because of fear, as could I a number of things which are simply coincidence. For example, while the boy's walls and some furniture looked similar to mine, the positions of things were off but not mirrored or symmetrically identical in any way, just similar. A red wood framed standing mirror, a floor-lamp that is white and has a chalice head. Walls that are white with a rough and dotted looking ceiling of the same color.

It could have been that I just clicked on an uncannily scary video which happened to contain a scene with a person in it who looked kind of like me and had a room kind of like mine. It's happened before in non-frightening or lackluster situations, like when i visited my friend's house (he looks kind of like me) and I arrived to find he had a room kind of like mine too.

Belief can color a view about something, but the actual events and truths behind that thing seem to be independent of belief, so a better understanding of the world is typically maintained by remembering what beliefs are in relevance to reality.

I didn't act like it was a trivial scare because to be honest, i felt fearful to the point where it did not feel trivial, though it very well may have been. I'm saying that this was a mistake. By following my fears i shut off the browser before i had the time to save or bookmark the video in any way. By following my feelings i supported the idea that it was a supernatural event or i was coping with some traumatic incident and that was my way of my mind blocking it out. By allowing my fear to get ahold of me once again, i opted to see a psychologist to determine if i had been hallucinating or not.

It was only after abandoning my fears that i realized that my webcam had been connected that day. I also realized that it had been halloween, and tons of people were doing scare pranks and videos for eachother (though hacking i don't know). I then remembered that the kid's room wasn't exactly like mine was, though eerily similar IMO. It's thanks to these observations that i've removed the event as a supernatural possibility and seen the possibilities for what they are.

That is why when you say you were moved by a spirit, when others say they have prayed and had their prayers answered, and others proclaim that miracles happen, I think that it is more important to look at the causes and variables of such events.

Quotable Harvester

stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

*15 minutes later*

1. If it was something that happened out of the ordinary in a way that we don't understand, chances are it was an inordinary event and would be absent of ordinary factors.

2. If people hacked me or a number of users personally, it would indicate that either my group of 'scare guinea pigs' was special or the victims of random selection for testing common real time editing technology.

3. This one is seeming more and more likely the more we have this conversation: It's very likely that i only imposed the idea of the room being similar to mine because of fear, as could I a number of things which are simply coincidence. For example, while the boy's walls and some furniture looked similar to mine, the positions of things were off but not mirrored or symmetrically identical in any way, just similar. A red wood framed standing mirror, a floor-lamp that is white and has a chalice head. Walls that are white with a rough and dotted looking ceiling of the same color.

It could have been that I just clicked on an uncannily scary video which happened to contain a scene with a person in it who looked kind of like me and had a room kind of like mine. It's happened before in non-frightening or lackluster situations, like when i visited my friend's house (he looks kind of like me) and I arrived to find he had a room kind of like mine too.

Belief can color a view about something, but the actual events and truths behind that thing seem to be independent of belief, so a better understanding of the world is typically maintained by remembering what beliefs are in relevance to reality.

I didn't act like it was a trivial scare because to be honest, i felt fearful to the point where it did not feel trivial, though it very well may have been. I'm saying that this was a mistake. By following my fears i shut off the browser before i had the time to save or bookmark the video in any way. By following my feelings i supported the idea that it was a supernatural event or i was coping with some traumatic incident and that was my way of my mind blocking it out. By allowing my fear to get ahold of me once again, i opted to see a psychologist to determine if i had been hallucinating or not.

It was only after abandoning my fears that i realized that my webcam had been connected that day. I also realized that it had been halloween, and tons of people were doing scare pranks and videos for eachother (though hacking i don't know). I then remembered that the kid's room wasn't exactly like mine was, though eerily similar IMO. It's thanks to these observations that i've removed the event as a supernatural possibility and seen the possibilities for what they are.

That is why when you say you were moved by a spirit, when others say they have prayed and had their prayers answered, and others proclaim that miracles happen, I think that it is more important to look at the causes and variables of such events.

Can you accept the Uncertainty Principle as a fact?

AcidStrips's Husband

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose
Honney Boy
stealthmongoose

*15 minutes later*

Can you accept the Uncertainty Principle as a fact?

Is it demonstrable as fact? I always thought Quantum Mechanics was untestable, that and i can't get my head around it.

Y u raep mah braens?

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
stealthmongoose

Is it demonstrable as fact? I always thought Quantum Mechanics was untestable, that and i can't get my head around it.

Y u raep mah braens?

It is quite demonstrable, albeit I don't know how it's done. But that is the entire point of the Large Hadron Collider. All the other particles' behavior has been demonstrated, and they are working to discover the last, and most important, one necessary to complete their equations.
The Forbidden Soul
Xion0101
The Forbidden Soul
User ImageUser Image
User Image

The burden of proof lies with the person trying to state what they think is true. So, when it comes to god/gods (As asked in your poll) The burden of proof lies with the people trying to prove it, until then it is still a non-fact.

User ImageUser Image

That is tfue in that sense, bug is an atheist also trying to prove that divinity does not exist, and must seek to find the evidence for their claim.

User ImageUser Image
User Image

Personally as an atheist I would say that No, I am not trying to prove anything. Rather if there is proof then ill take a look and decide for myself. However I do not speak for all Atheists, and im sure you can find a few Atheists trying to prove something.
Also sorry for the wait on the reply.

I myself am agnostic as well, but i find that as simple as the creation of a universe is to explain, the fact that energy exist at all is difficult to explain, but its definitely a rubix cube worth solving

User ImageUser Image
Tuah
stealthmongoose

Y u raep mah braens?

It is quite demonstrable, albeit I don't know how it's done. But that is the entire point of the Large Hadron Collider. All the other particles' behavior has been demonstrated, and they are working to discover the last, and most important, one necessary to complete their equations.

There is a problem as to why quantum mechanics and relativity cant be united, one explains the atomic world of particles, the other with the cosmic world of celestial bodies. Each theory attempts to explain how each part acts according to the whole, but neither tries to explain how the whole results fromthe individual proerties of the parts functioning with one another acvording to a single natural law of interaction.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Xion0101
Tuah
stealthmongoose

Y u raep mah braens?

There is a problem as to why quantum mechanics and relativity cant be united, one explains the atomic world of particles, the other with the cosmic world of celestial bodies. Each theory attempts to explain how each part acts according to the whole, but neither tries to explain how the whole results fromthe individual proerties of the parts functioning with one another acvording to a single natural law of interaction.

Well, though they haven't accomplished it yet, they certainly are trying. The quantum world is so contradictory to our natural perception, and that's what makes it so hard to understand. The fact that matter can exist in multiple places, only one place, and not exist at all at the same time is totally mind-boggling, but it has been demonstrated.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff