Welcome to Gaia! ::

What is moral character?

an abstract concept you can't prove or define 0.2 20.0% [ 3 ]
charisma born from honor & virtue, to put it simply 0.066666666666667 6.7% [ 1 ]
something else, I'll explain 0.6 60.0% [ 9 ]
I don't know I'm here to find out. 0.13333333333333 13.3% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
< 1 2

Dapper Reveler

Capricious Conundrum
I'm almost wholly on the left-hand path, so I couldn't really teach you much about morality, but the core of most right-hand path moral codes is altruism, plain and simple.
No.

Dapper Reveler

Xiam
So moral character is gained through societal acceptance?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Avgvsto
Xiam

Of course not, don't be absurd. Everybody else liking human sacrifice doesn't make it okay, and everyone else liking slavery or racism doesn't make it okay. In fifty years something we think is perfectly normal will likely be seen as repulsive too.

Dapper Reveler

Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam

Of course not, don't be absurd. Everybody else liking human sacrifice doesn't make it okay, and everyone else liking slavery or racism doesn't make it okay. In fifty years something we think is perfectly normal will likely be seen as repulsive too.
Well sure but why do you not want to be seen as an a*****e then? I mean, would thou want to be known as that ******** buzz kill kid that wouldn't preform a human sacrifice? People might still think you're an a*****e.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Avgvsto
Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam

Well sure but why do you not want to be seen as an a*****e then? I mean, would thou want to be known as that ******** buzz kill kid that wouldn't preform a human sacrifice? People might still think you're an a*****e.

The hell are you talking about?

And I'm not even a kid.

Dapper Reveler

Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam

And I'm not even a kid.

For clarity,I pretty much refer to everyone as a kid and wouldn't mind if you did the same to me.
Xiam
1. Are people calling you an a*****e?
2. Why are people calling you an a*****e?
3. Write down the things that may lead someone to call you an a*****e.
4. Work on eliminating those negative traits to become less of an a*****e.
5. Catch yourself when you're acting like an a*****e.
6. Congratulations! You are no longer an a*****e.

You said this ^ and i was wondering if you didn't think it was flawed at all.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Avgvsto
Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam
Avgvsto

And I'm not even a kid.

For clarity,I pretty much refer to everyone as a kid and wouldn't mind if you did the same to me.
Xiam
1. Are people calling you an a*****e?
2. Why are people calling you an a*****e?
3. Write down the things that may lead someone to call you an a*****e.
4. Work on eliminating those negative traits to become less of an a*****e.
5. Catch yourself when you're acting like an a*****e.
6. Congratulations! You are no longer an a*****e.

You said this ^ and i was wondering if you didn't think it was flawed at all.

On the contrary, I thought it was humorous. Seems odd that you're getting on my case for this.

However, it should be noted that the best way to notice you're being an a*****e is when other people call you out on it. See, we have this issue, as a species. We identify ourselves as the hero of our lives. The main character. We see ourselves through special filters that lead to things like hypocrisy, and such. Like a man who's had twelve drinks in a day telling his friend, "Hey, you should lay off the booze, you might be an alcoholic."

I don't see how you got society pressure out of this. The real issue is that people, in particular your friends, will notice when you're acting out of hand, and should at least call you on it. It's why we have those interventions, so that... to go back to the example I used before... Hypocrite McDrinksalot will realize just who the alcoholic in his circle really is.

And this can go with morally dubious characters too. Well... maybe. I mean, friends gathering to tell you you've been sort of a jerk to everybody doesn't always work out, you probably just think they're all ganging up on you, but hopefully like any intervention, it can hopefully get through to the jerks that they're just in denial.

Incidentally, you're being very antagonistic, and I'm not seeing the reason for it.

Greedy Consumer

Xiam
Avgvsto
Xiam

Or even right now, society blows lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces