• Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
It seems rather American a notion.

We are all created equal.

Spectacular claims require spectacular backing. I see none.

It is self-evident.

Not only is it not self evident, it is contraindicated by reality.
Women in Saudi-Arabia are not equal to women in America. There are massive differences in standard of living, quality of life and expectations.
Gay men do not have the same rights as straight men in the vast majority of the world, and are therefore not equal to them.

If you're trying to claim that we should be equal, then you end up with an equation that cannot be balanced.
Whose equality do we weight as more important?

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon earth and be an atheist,
but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."

-Abraham Lincoln

Dapper Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Elocutionist 200
As someone who believes that all religions based on the notion of unconditional love and compassion are true religions, I am pro-UU churches and beliefs.
I don't see how love, equality, and the hope of happiness for all despite their religious beliefs is "wishy washy."

I do see how someone could say that there is no way that all religions are true if they teach that other religions are wrong - but I would say that other PEOPLE say that other religions are wrong and the true teachings are all paths that lead to the same end. The Golden Rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you, love each other, be kind, etc. These are teachings Christianity, Judaism, Wicca, Kemeticism, Buddhism, Islam... all teach in one way or another.

I personally think more acceptance of other people and their beliefs is something we should be promoting in our country where bullying, racism, prejudice against sexuality, etc are causing brutality daily - well, I dont see how places like UU churches would be an issue.
WickedDecember
As someone who believes that all religions based on the notion of unconditional love and compassion are true religions, I am pro-UU churches and beliefs.
I don't see how love, equality, and the hope of happiness for all despite their religious beliefs is "wishy washy."

I do see how someone could say that there is no way that all religions are true if they teach that other religions are wrong - but I would say that other PEOPLE say that other religions are wrong and the true teachings are all paths that lead to the same end. The Golden Rule of do unto others as you would have them do unto you, love each other, be kind, etc. These are teachings Christianity, Judaism, Wicca, Kemeticism, Buddhism, Islam... all teach in one way or another.

I personally think more acceptance of other people and their beliefs is something we should be promoting in our country where bullying, racism, prejudice against sexuality, etc are causing brutality daily - well, I dont see how places like UU churches would be an issue.

The issue is monotheistic religions, which believe in "one and only one true God" whose holy word is the ultimate law and truth in the universe. Any worship of another god, gods or no gods in these monotheistic religions is considered blasphemous and unconscionable, because such an act would be offensive to the true God. Thus the followers of these religions are encouraged (usually commanded) to witness and convert 'nonbelievers' into their own faith, and reject the reasoning of anyone they believe to be outside of their faith.

The result of that sort of monotheistic doctrine is heavy and heated disagreement between people that has always (since the beginning of time) devolved into violence. Whatever Jesus said about the Golden Rule and 'treating your neighbor kindly' cannot be leveled against the belief that there is one and only one Supreme Being. It simply is not possible, and will eventually result in -- one way or another -- violence and hatred.
Brothern
The issue is monotheistic religions, which believe in "one and only one true God" whose holy word is the ultimate law and truth in the universe. Any worship of another god, gods or no gods in these monotheistic religions is considered blasphemous and unconscionable, because such an act would be offensive to the true God. Thus the followers of these religions are encouraged (usually commanded) to witness and convert 'nonbelievers' into their own faith, and reject the reasoning of anyone they believe to be outside of their faith.

The result of that sort of monotheistic doctrine is heavy and heated disagreement between people that has always (since the beginning of time) devolved into violence. Whatever Jesus said about the Golden Rule and 'treating your neighbor kindly' cannot be leveled against the belief that there is one and only one Supreme Being. It simply is not possible, and will eventually result in -- one way or another -- violence and hatred.

Not all Supreme Beings are gods i.e. not all Supreme Beings are capable of being offended.
Wise Owl Eye
"I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon earth and be an atheist,
but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God."

-Abraham Lincoln

I've looked up that quote and can find no source on it outside of a few christian websites and yahoo answers. Do you have a source on it?

I ask because the quote demonstrates remarkable ignorance and lack of imagination, two qualities I don't usually associate with Lincoln.
IronySandwich
Wise Owl Eye

-Abraham Lincoln

I've looked up that quote and can find no source on it outside of a few christian websites and yahoo answers. Do you have a source on it?

"Soon after his death, Lincoln became popular as a "wise man" to whom quotations were often attributed, and attributions without specific contemporary sources should be viewed skeptically. These attributions are arranged chronologically."
he basic premise of Unitarian Universalism is that the individual searches for truth and meaning in their life instead of being told what to pursue. The only beliefs set in stone are the seven principles, which are as follows:

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person
2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

God Bless you!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces