Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devout Fairy

Celebrez la Folie
I don't understand how this can be called a religion. It seems like one of those ironic religious institutes that Agnostics or Atheists create in order to seem above it, like Pastafarianism or something.

Like sure, that's a great attitude, but if you accept every religion as true, you accept several contradicting versions of truth, which is illogical.

It is only a religion in so much as that they have a unifying creed. Many of the UUs that I know will tag on an additional, clarifying label such as UU Buddhist or UU Christian and the Church itself has many sub-groups such as CUUPS (*shudder*).

They do NOT accept everything as true, the just support open search for the truth.
While I am all for acceptance and welcoming others regardless of differences, this doesn't appeal to me. I admit that I don't know for sure which religion is most true, if any, and I also believe there is some truth in most if not all religions past and present. I just don't care to have an organization with which to say so.

So, I have nothing against Unitarians. A big part of my personal faith is trying to understand and appreciate different religions. However, I have belonged and still do belong to interfaith groups, and while the camaraderie and discussion is nice, I get a better experience from going to a direct source- that is, actually going to a synagogue or church or temple or monastery or whatever. Sometimes I am less welcome as an outsider in a religious community that is not my own, but I'd prefer that over the watered-down mall food court sample experience found at many well-meaning interfaith gatherings.
False Dichotomy
Their emphasis is in a place it should be, but the doctrine is atrocious, feelgood, wishy washy bullcrap.

It's not exactly doctrine, is it?

To be honest, that's part of what I find attractive about it. If you think it feels too much like living in a Hallmark card, I understand, but that's not exactly a reason to say they don't know what they're talking about. They're lukewarm about plenty of things, but then, some people, myself included, prefer things a little calmer and with a little more emphasis on the key points of a personal relationship with... well, with whatever it is we feel, whatever that may be. I'll take wishy-washy bullcrap with its heart in the right place over firm, confident doctrine that has lost sight of its purpose any day.

Shameless Mystic

Taikyoku
False Dichotomy
Their emphasis is in a place it should be, but the doctrine is atrocious, feelgood, wishy washy bullcrap.

To be honest, that's part of what I find attractive about it. If you think it feels too much like living in a Hallmark card, I understand, but that's not exactly a reason to say they don't know what they're talking about. They're lukewarm about plenty of things, but then, some people, myself included, prefer things a little calmer and with a little more emphasis on the key points of a personal relationship with... well, with whatever it is we feel, whatever that may be. I'll take wishy-washy bullcrap with its heart in the right place over firm, confident doctrine that has lost sight of its purpose any day.
I find that asking questions is not equivalent to accepting all views. Quite the opposite.
False Dichotomy
I find that asking questions is not equivalent to accepting all views. Quite the opposite.

How so?

Shameless Mystic

Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

How so?
Those who ask enough questions find that it is easier to entertain a thought than it is to accept it.
False Dichotomy
Those who ask enough questions find that it is easier to entertain a thought than it is to accept it.

Source?
False Dichotomy
Taikyoku
False Dichotomy

I've never been to a Unitarian Universalist church before, so I can't quite say, but I know that for me personally, it's definitely not about accepting everyone's view on everything so much as it's about being open to good ideas regardless of their origins. Some have called that theft, I call it practical. I'm also not about to tell someone off just because they hold stupid ideas, I have better things to do with my time. They may in time come to a better understanding, but me breaking their balls about it is almost certainly not going to do any good. I'll make an exception for strong ethical violations and the harm of others, but my personal beliefs have strong (Westernized) Taoist tendencies, so let me put it to you this way: I don't care what someone calls it, if they understand the Tao, they understand the Tao. They don't have to know it by that name (in fact, seeing as ultimately the name is just a placeholder, it would be best if they did not) to grasp decent concepts.

In other words, good people are good people. Good ideas are good ideas, and bad ideas are bad ideas. Good people can have both good ideas and bad ideas and that in and of itself doesn't make them bad people. Of course, the opposite is true as well, bad people can have good ideas, but that's not the fault of those good ideas, is it?

Shameless Mystic

Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

Source?
Descartes?
False Dichotomy
Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

How so?

This much I definitely agree with, if you're saying what I think you're saying.
False Dichotomy
Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

Source?
Descartes?

Touché!

Shameless Mystic

Taikyoku
False Dichotomy
Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

How so?

Welcome to the cave.
False Dichotomy
Taikyoku
False Dichotomy
Lucky~9~Lives
False Dichotomy

How so?

Welcome to the cave.

Eww, platonism!
Nahh, just kidding. Kinda. But yeah, for a little while now it's seemed that most beliefs or ideas are either general, which most people are unsatisfied with, or provisional, which most people seem more satisfied with even though they're provisional and not strictly speaking true in the universal sense. As for me, I just do my best to stay happy and at peace while knowing that whatever ideas I can come up with are not the entire truth. And you know what? That's exactly how I like it. I can feel and have felt before (a little LSD and some meditation goes a long way) a kind of deep inner peace and clarity, a feeling that everything is in its right place, even in a world as insane and mind-blowing as ours, and it didn't require me to know every little thing, just to be. Perhaps that sounds silly, and maybe it is, but it works. Like I said, it's practical.

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Fermionic
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
It seems rather American a notion.

We are all created equal.

Spectacular claims require spectacular backing. I see none.

It is self-evident.
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
It seems rather American a notion.

We are all created equal.

Spectacular claims require spectacular backing. I see none.

It is self-evident.

Obviously not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas