Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
IronySandwich
I think that it's preposterous to propose that two contradictory "faiths" can both be true.

If Jesus is the one and only messiah, then Muhammed is not. If either is, the Jews are wrong. And all three believe in the war god turned all-god YHWH, whose proposed traits are not compatible with those of Ganesh.

Your statement of "heaven" contradicts those who believe in reincarnation.

UU seems to me to be a group devoted to not mentioning the elephant in the room (no, I don't mean Ganesh). It's inclusivness is admirable, but it's ultimately based on a house of cards, and all the cards hate each other.

Still, my opinion of them is generally positive. I mean, they're wrong, but everyone's wrong about something, and at least they aren't all authoritarian and bigoted about it.

Except Mohammed isnt a Messiah in Islam. He's a prophet. In Islam, Jesus is also that..a prophet.

Enduring Conversationalist

6,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
IronySandwich

UU seems to me to be a group devoted to not mentioning the elephant in the room (no, I don't mean Ganesh). It's inclusivness is admirable, but it's ultimately based on a house of cards, and all the cards hate each other.

Still, my opinion of them is generally positive. I mean, they're wrong, but everyone's wrong about something, and at least they aren't all authoritarian and bigoted about it.
Hehehe poor Ganesh. No most religions don't hate each other. Muslism law actually states that Judaism and Christian people should be treated as brothers and actually are treated well by most.
Most are authoritarian and bigoted at least from my perspective.
Wise Owl Eye
IronySandwich
Wise Owl Eye
My username comes from owls association with wisdom.
Why are they?
Because both owls and wisdom are associated with Athena.

Seems appropriate. Owls are often regarded as the wisest of the birds because they just "look wise". However in reality they are of below average intelligence for birds.

Wise Owl Eye
Now lets talk about your username.
Yes, we are organisms, we evolved over time from single celled organisms.
Science is still unable to tell where the single celled organisms came from.

There is a movie made by Ben Stein called "Expelled".
It goes deeper into the subject.

And now you show it to be doubly applicable by throwing out the "I'm ignorant therefore science is ignorant" argument and citing a dishonest creationist propaganda piece as your evidence.

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

You mean intelligent design propaganda ?

Opinion journalism is creeping into documentary films,
just look at the work of Michael Moore or to a lesser extent, Morgan Spurlock.

The existence of God has become political.
But if proof that God exists is found, Republican ideas will still be outdated on most issues.
That's just my opinion.

No, I mean creationist propoganda. Intelligent design is nothing more than creationism relabeled in a dishonest attempt to get taught in public schools by literally copy/pasting "designer" terms over creationist ones.

And as the link you obviously didn't look at shows, what is wrong is not that it's propaganda, but that it is dishonest, telling numerous outright lies. It is in fact nothing more than a collection of lies. That you would use it as though it help your case says quite a lot about you, and none of it good.
Wise Owl Eye
The Unitarian Universalists have houses of worship where everyone is welcome.

It doesn’t matter what your religion, race, or sexual orientation is.

They believe that at some point everyone gets into heaven, all are welcome there also.

What do you think of this all encompassing approach to religion?

It's not really the belief that everyone goes to heaven, it's the belief in the free and responsible search for spiritual, ethical, and theological truth.

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
IronySandwich
Wise Owl Eye
IronySandwich
Wise Owl Eye
My username comes from owls association with wisdom.
Why are they?
Because both owls and wisdom are associated with Athena.

Seems appropriate. Owls are often regarded as the wisest of the birds because they just "look wise". However in reality they are of below average intelligence for birds.

Wise Owl Eye
Now lets talk about your username.
Yes, we are organisms, we evolved over time from single celled organisms.
Science is still unable to tell where the single celled organisms came from.

There is a movie made by Ben Stein called "Expelled".
It goes deeper into the subject.

And now you show it to be doubly applicable by throwing out the "I'm ignorant therefore science is ignorant" argument and citing a dishonest creationist propaganda piece as your evidence.

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

You mean intelligent design propaganda ?

But if proof that God exists is found, Republican ideas will still be outdated on most issues.
That's just my opinion.

No, I mean creationist propoganda. Intelligent design is nothing more than creationism relabeled in a dishonest attempt to get taught in public schools by literally copy/pasting "designer" terms over creationist ones.

And as the link you obviously didn't look at shows, what is wrong is not that it's propaganda, but that it is dishonest, telling numerous outright lies. It is in fact nothing more than a collection of lies. That you would use it as though it help your case says quite a lot about you, and none of it good.

There aren't many documentary films that search for the possible existence of God.
Could you recommend a different one?
Wise Owl Eye
That's just my opinion.

Since you proposed this idea, I want to ask you what proof that (the Christian) God exists would look like?

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Ayin the Younger
Wise Owl Eye
That's just my opinion.

Since you proposed this idea, I want to ask you what proof that (the Christian) God exists would look like?

That was part of a larger point about how the two party system makes both sides take a hard line stance, for or against the existence of God.

What makes you think I'm a Christian?
Wise Owl Eye
Ayin the Younger
Wise Owl Eye
That's just my opinion.

That was part of a larger point about how the two party system makes both sides take a hard line stance, for or against the existence of God.

What makes you think I'm a Christian?

You capitalized the g in god.

EDIT: I guess I should also point out that I didn't assume you were Christian, but rather I assumed you were speaking of the Christian god, regardless of what faith you held in particular.

Also, by "Christian god", I really mean the god of Abraham, so Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
Wise Owl Eye

documentaries by definition are opinionated

there is only so much time and only so much space on the screen, you have to pick and choose what makes it in to the final cut

Interesting Seeker

Henry Hobo-Master
Could be Gods will.

Could be man's desire to let everyone "win".

Could be made up.

Could be legitimate.

You cannot conclude much from this observation at this time.

This

Witty Lunatic

I don't understand how this can be called a religion. It seems like one of those ironic religious institutes that Agnostics or Atheists create in order to seem above it, like Pastafarianism or something.

Like sure, that's a great attitude, but if you accept every religion as true, you accept several contradicting versions of truth, which is illogical.

Liberal Sex Symbol

Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
All of the friends I grew up with who joined a UU church in high school have come out as either agnostics or atheists in college. I wonder why?

When your faith system is complex enough to have may different systems co-existing in it with different theologies and understanding of the universe you have to appeal and nurture the one thing that they all agree on: humanism, harmony, empathy, compassion and unity in that diversity.

When you're brought up with those kind of values that are not unique to religion and exists on its own without it, and seeing so many different faiths who may or may not have their story right or wrong, then being agnostic or atheistic seems like a natural end.

Better Atheists and agnostics coming out of the UU than some kid reading Dawkins and suddenly believe the way to a better secular society is to be a major a*****e to people of faith.
I went to a Unitarian church and there were people there that were athiest or agnostic. I always have seen it as a place where one can meet those that have their own ideas and faiths, worship if they wish, and hear lectures on different topics, sing songs, but still join together as a community. Church isn't simply a place of worship anymore even single faith churches usually are more of a community than anything and do things such as volunteering at places or packing lunches for the homeless. Also the one I went to had a main service which was more of a philosophy type thing and also had different group times and meet ups for certain religions at the church.

6,200 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Fermionic
It seems rather American a notion.

We are all created equal.
Wise Owl Eye
Fermionic
It seems rather American a notion.

We are all created equal.

Spectacular claims require spectacular backing. I see none.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff