Atheism.
It's a top 5, so 4 more to go.
1. 20th-century communist atheism
2. "New Atheism" school of atheism.
3. Extremist Islam
4. "Agnostic-atheism"
5. Neo-Pagans

Honorary mention: protestantism

How is atheism harmful or destructive in any way?

Any religion or lack of one good or bad that draws away potential followers could be considered harmful or destructive to another religion.

By that logic yes you would be right. I was wondering how atheism could physically harm as we can see in cases like 9-11 or emotionally scar through brainwashing as we see with Scientology.
Theoryofevilution
Kaworu 17
DarkSohisohi
Kaworu 17
Atheism.
3. Extremist Islam
4. "Agnostic-atheism"
5. Neo-Pagans

For the most extreme cases see: Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot etc etc.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Xiam
Arcoon Effox
Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
Kaworu 17

1. Atheism is not a religion
2. Atheism is not a religion

1 & 2. Water has no shape of its own but it can adopt the form of its container.
Sorry, but your fluffy words don't change the reality of the situation.
It does, actually. Let me try and give examples in different form.
*sigh*

No, it doesn't, but let's continue, anyway, I guess...
Xiam
A Russian couple move to the United States. Let's say they have a work visa, everything goes through just fine, they're allowed to live here. But they grow comfortable here. They grow used to it here. They eventually are able to take the test and become naturalized citizens. So they do, and they're officially Americans.

People aren't religion, though. Alright. Let's try something else.
...then why did you keep this in the post?
Xiam
English. English is a language of Germanic origin, but over time it has taken on traits of the Romantic languages it has been influenced by. And then some. So in a way, it's not a Romantic language. But it sure as ******** sounds like one to anyone who's at least partially familiar with Romantic languages.

What's that? Language isn't the same as religion? [******** you. It's a cultural concept that passes from parent to child, from individual to individual, and expresses concepts otherwise impossible to express. It shapes the way people think and act. That's incredibly ******** similar.
First of all: Excuse the hells out of me? Saying s**t like this isn't the best way to win someone over to your side of an argument, you know...

Second: Language does not require belief in the supernatural, so it's actually quite different than religion. I get what you're saying, but it's not the best analogy, nor is it applicable to atheism; if religion = language, atheists wouldn't be speaking at all.
Xiam
My point is, just because you say something isn't something else doesn't mean it doesn't look an awful lot like that something else. To the point that outsiders start to question whether you're actually full of s**t.
Regardless of perceptions, the question is whether or not those outsiders are correct... which they're not. Atheism is no more a religion than theism is a religion... which, of course, is not itself a religion at all.

Atheism is not a worldview or system, nor does it combine a set of beliefs, traditions, rituals, and community structures like religions do. Interestingly enough, if atheism were a religion then atheists couldn't exist, since atheism is the absence of belief in gods.
Xiam
Arcoon Effox
By indicating that are Christian and also that protestantism is bad or whatever, that suggests you don't think that about Catholicism/Orthodox.
Or it could mean they consider Protestants worse than Catholics or Orthodox.
Isn't that basically what I said...?
Xiam
I'd point out the actual response, but you already seem to have found it, and scoffed at their responses.
...as indicated by the way I was quoting him, which raises the question why you're doing this.
Xiam
Rather than actually address some of the points he made
I addressed every point he made... it's just that he didn't make any.
Xiam
Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods, it is a lack of belief in gods.
Gods are not necessary for religion so this is great news for atheism.

Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
that suggests you don't think that about Catholicism/Orthodox.
Why would anyone who isn't a fanatic antireligionist sheep think that? The Catholic church created Western Civilization. It's the largest charity in the world, it was the first to built hospitals in Europe, it preserved the ancient classics and its theologians invented the concept of human rights.

So here I'd just like to repost them, and perhaps you can reply back to him (so he can see it) on the same post that you're perhaps mocking my presumptive responses to possible things you probably wouldn't say, or scoffing at my statements in some way that doesn't require you to actually think about what you've said in any way (so I can see it).
...nice run-on sentence, there.

Anyway, yeah... I've said everything I'm going to say to Kaworu on the subject until he stops misrepresenting me and invoking fallacies right and left. For the sake of your own curiosity, though:

Gods (or something like them) are necessary for religion; without them, you have a philosophy, which is not the same thing as it does not involve worshiping a supernatural force.

Kaworu's insinuation that I'm an "anti-religionist sheep" in response to me insinuating (correctly) that he holds protestants in a place of contempt but does not feel the same about Catholics was completely out of left field, and what followed was largely hyperbole.

Claiming that the Catholic Church "created western civilization" seems like a grievous overstatement, to me. I'd like to see some support for this which isn't from a Catholic source. Likewise, I'd like to see the same about the Catholic Church being the most charitable organization on earth.

I take issue with his claim that the Church "preserved the classics", when in fact it burned books that it did not find agreeable. Perhaps today's "classics" are thought of as such simply because they were spared the torch, and other books which may have been considered such are now lost forever, We'll never know.

His claim that the Church "invented human rights" is also blatantly untrue. The Al-Risalah al-Huquq is (obviously) not of Catholic origin, nor was the Magna Carta was not developed by "Catholic theologians". In fact, the Church didn't really have anything to do with Human Rights issues until around the 16th century, as a result of the Spaniards' treatment of Native Americans.
Xiam
...really I'd prefer you to try a bit harder, and either defend your position or admit you're wrong. Either one would do.
I've defended my position plenty well enough against Kaworu's weak arguments, thank you very much. Perhaps if he'd say something that wasn't based in personal opinion or that had some fact behind it I'd have to try harder.
Xiam
Defending is more fun (and, if you're right, educational for me), but don't feel like it's an obligation to pretend to be smart on my account.
Okay, first of all, are you trying to be condescending...?

Second, if Kaworu wants to defend himself by actually presenting an argument free of fallacies and red herrings, he's free to do so... but as we can see by his suggestion that "Extremist Islam" is itself a religion, and his invoking of the Atheist Authorities Fallacy in the post immediately before this one (more on that in a moment), one gets the impression that such a thing is not likely going to happen.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
Extremist Islam is not a religion.
w h y n o t ?
As the claimant, why don't you explain how it is a separate religion (rather than just a specific interpretation of one) since the burden of proof is yours, and all.
Kaworu 17
Theoryofevilution
Are you seriously invoking the Atheist Atrocities argument...?
Arcoon Effox
why don't you explain how it is a separate religion
"Why don't you explain this strawman of mine which you haven't claimed in any way?"

Arcoon Effox
Are you seriously invoking the Atheist Atrocities argument...?
>Hitler was a Christian

Hitler pandered to Christianity in his early rise to power, then took over the churches once he got in power. He enforced this by imprisoning and killing large numbers of bishops and Catholic priests as well as protestants. Anyone who tried to stand for the Gospels in his regime was signing their own death certificate. I don't think he was an atheist, but he was certainly not a Christian. Into the trash this goes.

Stalin, Ho Chi Min, Pol Pot, Kim II Sung, Tito (Yugoslavia), Lenin... How much more do you want?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Arcoon Effox
Xiam
People aren't religion, though. Alright. Let's try something else.
...then why did you keep this in the post?

Because I am not a good editor.

Arcoon Effox
Language does not require belief in the supernatural, so it's actually quite different than religion. I get what you're saying, but it's not the best analogy, nor is it applicable to atheism; if religion = language, atheists wouldn't be speaking at all.

You know what also doesn't require a belief in the supernatural? Religion.

Arcoon Effox
Regardless of perceptions, the question is whether or not those outsiders are correct... which they're not.

Says what? "Fact"? Because this is sort of a matter of abstracts. Of beliefs (or nonbeliefs) and worldviews. Not exactly the realm of facts and evidence. More of a matter of opinion.

Arcoon Effox
Atheism is not a worldview or system, nor does it combine a set of beliefs, traditions, rituals, and community structures like religions do. Interestingly enough, if atheism were a religion then atheists couldn't exist, since atheism is the absence of belief in gods.

Oh, I should have read this before I outright said "worldview."

Here's the thing. It's a view on the world. A view that does not include the belief of god. It's an actual, real way that you view the world. I don't know how else I can explain how this is literally a worldview.

Xiam
Arcoon Effox
By indicating that are Christian and also that protestantism is bad or whatever, that suggests you don't think that about Catholicism/Orthodox.
Or it could mean they consider Protestants worse than Catholics or Orthodox.
Isn't that basically what I said...?
What you said is basically that they didn't consider them. What I said is that they probably considered them, and decided they weren't nearly as bad.

Arcoon Effox
Xiam
I'd point out the actual response, but you already seem to have found it, and scoffed at their responses.
...as indicated by the way I was quoting him, which raises the question why you're doing this.

You quoted just to mock him, didn't you? Did I mistake you for some other person brushing off someone's actual points, just to scoff at them?

Arcoon Effox
Xiam
Rather than actually address some of the points he made
I addressed every point he made... it's just that he didn't make any.

I'll just keep reading and hope you did too.

Xiam
Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods, it is a lack of belief in gods.
Gods are not necessary for religion so this is great news for atheism.

Kaworu 17
Arcoon Effox
that suggests you don't think that about Catholicism/Orthodox.
Why would anyone who isn't a fanatic antireligionist sheep think that? The Catholic church created Western Civilization. It's the largest charity in the world, it was the first to built hospitals in Europe, it preserved the ancient classics and its theologians invented the concept of human rights.

So here I'd just like to repost them, and perhaps you can reply back to him (so he can see it) on the same post that you're perhaps mocking my presumptive responses to possible things you probably wouldn't say, or scoffing at my statements in some way that doesn't require you to actually think about what you've said in any way (so I can see it).
...nice run-on sentence, there.
Not a rebuttal. Why did you include this?

Arcoon Effox
Anyway, yeah... I've said everything I'm going to say to Kaworu on the subject until he stops misrepresenting me and invoking fallacies right and left. For the sake of your own curiosity, though:

"Fallacies, therefore I won't respond." Right. How about you actually ******** address this, and then just respond anyway? Yes, I am curious, so let's go for it.

Arcoon Effox
Gods (or something like them) are necessary for religion; without them, you have a philosophy, which is not the same thing as it does not involve worshiping a supernatural force.

And yet, the atheistic schools of Buddhism are legally considered in many countries to be religions.

Arcoon Effox
Kaworu's insinuation that I'm an "anti-religionist sheep" in response to me insinuating (correctly) that he holds protestants in a place of contempt but does not feel the same about Catholics was completely out of left field, and what followed was largely hyperbole.
Which leads me to ask... do you dislike religion?

Arcoon Effox
Claiming that the Catholic Church "created western civilization" seems like a grievous overstatement, to me. I'd like to see some support for this which isn't from a Catholic source. Likewise, I'd like to see the same about the Catholic Church being the most charitable organization on earth.

Actually a good request there. Those claims just smack of "I have evidence, but I refuse to show you." For the record though... the Catholic Church has had a lot of cultural and scientific influence upon Western Civilization (though the relationship with science has been a bit shakey). The Romans as a culture may have a better claim than Catholics though. Which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Arcoon Effox
I take issue with his claim that the Church "preserved the classics", when in fact it burned books that it did not find agreeable. Perhaps today's "classics" are thought of as such simply because they were spared the torch, and other books which may have been considered such are now lost forever, We'll never know.

Catholic monasteries often preserved, translated, and reproduced many books though, including those of Greek philosophers. Much of the blow to knowledge during these times actually came from the Vikings, though one of the most widely considered tragedies in the loss of knowledge comes from the destruction of the Library of Alexandria, for which numerous people are at fault.

Arcoon Effox
His claim that the Church "invented human rights" is also blatantly untrue. The Al-Risalah al-Huquq is (obviously) not of Catholic origin, nor was the Magna Carta was not developed by "Catholic theologians". In fact, the Church didn't really have anything to do with Human Rights issues until around the 16th century, as a result of the Spaniards' treatment of Native Americans.

Oh sweet, history lesson! I got nothing here.

Arcoon Effox
Xiam
...really I'd prefer you to try a bit harder, and either defend your position or admit you're wrong. Either one would do.
I've defended my position plenty well enough against Kaworu's weak arguments, thank you very much. Perhaps if he'd say something that wasn't based in personal opinion or that had some fact behind it I'd have to try harder.

Aren't we in the Morality & Religion subforum? Morality and religion are hugely a matter of opinion. You can discount the little things with evidence, but not the biggest issues. By that point, you're only left with doubt. Which, yes, is an opinion.

Arcoon Effox
Xiam
Defending is more fun (and, if you're right, educational for me), but don't feel like it's an obligation to pretend to be smart on my account.
Okay, first of all, are you trying to be condescending...?

Only on that last bit. I don't much care for pretending to be smart either. I don't really consider myself to be smart, it's actually sort of baffling when people tell me I am. Though I do have a low opinion of everyone else as well...

Arcoon Effox
Second, if Kaworu wants to defend himself by actually presenting an argument free of fallacies and red herrings, he's free to do so... but as we can see by his suggestion that "Extremist Islam" is itself a religion, and his invoking of the Atheist Authorities Fallacy in the post immediately before this one (more on that in a moment), one gets the impression that such a thing is not likely going to happen.

Oh. I mentioned this someplace - wait, did I get a reply on this? Extremist sects are, in a way, religions in themselves. They don't represent the religion they're a part of as a whole, of course. After all, Evangelism is Christianity, but Christianity is not Evangelism.

Well... er... depending on who you ask.

But Evangelism is a religion, in a way. And it seems a bit intellectually dishonest to deny the zealots their religious fervor.

I'm not familiar with this "Atheist Authorities Fallacy." Is this regarding the fact that there are very outspoken "pop atheists," like Dawkins and his ilk?

Aren't there people who are pretty strong followers of these people? Not necessarily in the sense that they view them as prophets and actually follow them around... then again...

No. Thing is, over the years I've met atheists (maybe newcomers, I've seen some very strange occurrences in the transition from one worldview to another) who treat it very religiously. Which is to say, enthusiastically, and with the same zeal as religious extremists.

Hang on, I feel like I should go back to that "strange occurrences" thing. And the zeal thing. I've noticed (in myself as well as others, such as people who were "Born Again" Christians) that when you are "awakened" to a new way of looking at things, you get really eager to talk about it, to whoever will listen. Even those who won't. This is just speculation here, but it also seems a bit similar to folks who just got into a new TV series, or books, or movies, or music. And they just have to find someone, anyone, who shares their experience. And if they can't find anyone, they set out to make them. A whole need for socialization and shared culture, right?

A need that can cause problems if people actually don't give a s**t, or like something that leads to clashing between the fandoms groups.

Sorry, this all may be a bit off-topic. Again, not good at editing myself. But as I was learning about Pantheism, a lot of things I'd learned over the years clicked in place, and I'd felt this sort of urge to rant about it. I still sort of have difficulty reining it in.

And it reminds me of folks (like my brother-in-law) who weren't particularly religious, but seemingly became religious overnight, and are incredibly enthusiastic about it (thankfully he's not the pushy drag-you-to-church, debate-you-about-Jesus type). Not to mention the types who read a book by Richard Dawkins and think suddenly they're genius experts who are so ******** certain there is no God.
Xiam
It's a view on the world. A view that does not include the belief of god. It's an actual, real way that you view the world. I don't know how else I can explain how this is literally a worldview.

It's a lack of a worldview involving any god.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
It's a view on the world. A view that does not include the belief of god. It's an actual, real way that you view the world. I don't know how else I can explain how this is literally a worldview.

Do you even know what "worldview" means?
Xiam
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam

It isn't a way someone thinks about the world that does not include the belief of god.
- ninja

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam

It isn't a way someone thinks about the world that does not include the belief of god.
- ninja

emotion_facepalm
Arcoon Effox
>Some obscure Islamic work which nobody read in Europe somehow has led to the creation of rights in Western Civilization.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what atheists believe.
Kaworu 17
Theoryofevilution
Kaworu 17
DarkSohisohi
Kaworu 17
Atheism.
3. Extremist Islam
4. "Agnostic-atheism"
5. Neo-Pagans

Okay at this point I am wondering if your a troll. Stalin was an atheist but he didnt kill those millions of people because of that fact. The reason so many people died under his power was because he wanted to spread the socialist state. He did not do it for "survival of the fittest" because the idea behind that is to thrive as a species so considering so many people died under his rule he would have failed miserably. Mao and pol pot never announced that they were atheists dipshit. There was one very vague quote from Mao that says he doesnt believe in God but that he does believe in heaven so he couldnt be an atheist. Maybe he was trying to say he believes in many gods? Who could know...
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam

- ninja

Please tell me you are joking...
Theoryofevilution
There was one very vague quote from Mao that says he doesnt believe in God but that he does believe in heaven so he couldnt be an atheist.

Atheists can believe in heaven - especially the Sinic kinds.
- ninja

Theoryofevilution
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam

- ninja

Please tell me you are joking...

That would rather defeat the intention.
- ninja
Theoryofevilution
Okay at this point I am wondering if your a troll. Stalin was an atheist but he didnt kill those millions of people because of that fact. The reason so many people died under his power was because he wanted to spread the socialist state. He did not do it for "survival of the fittest" because the idea behind that is to thrive as a species so considering so many people died under his rule he would have failed miserably. Mao and pol pot never announced that they were atheists dipshit. There was one very vague quote from Mao that says he doesnt believe in God but that he does believe in heaven so he couldnt be an atheist. Maybe he was trying to say he believes in many gods? Who could know...
What part of atheism prevents people from being mass murderers?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff