Welcome to Gaia! ::

God Emperor Akhenaton
Then you are not an atheist.

And we're just going to go in circles.

Your reasoning is circular. You define "believing in no deities" as atheism and when asked why you just say "it just is".
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

Your reasoning is circular. You define "believing in no deities" as atheism and when asked why you just say "it just is".

Maybe it's your reasoning that is circular. Not mine.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
And you have no active belief in no deity either. Making you not an atheist.

I'm an atheist from the fact that I lack an active belief in a deity.

And you are not in the fact that you lack a belief in no deity.

Yes, I lack a belief in no deity, but that still means I lack an active belief in a deity. Which is the main determiner of whether or not I'm a theist.

Am I not a theist? Then I'm an atheist.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
God Emperor Akhenaton
stealthmongoose
God Emperor Akhenaton
stealthmongoose
God Emperor Akhenaton

Same would go as to why would one believe it is empty. That is the irrationality of atheism.

Prior evidence suggests that cardboard boxes left out in the middle of the street don't usually contain valuables, especially if they're in the condition that was attributed to this particular box.

Would you look at that, i just rationalized. It's going to be a real kicker when you figure out i'm an Atheist.

I digress though, assumptions are not exclusive to any faith or denomination/lack thereof. There are plenty of Atheists out there who would approach this experiment with a mindset of faith, even if they do not see anything deific in it.

The better question overall would be whether it is more prudent to...

1. Accept a belief in the absence or existence of a Faberge' egg WITHOUT any prior evidence.

OR 2. Accept a belief in the absence or existence of a Faberge' egg WITH prior evidence.

I suppose this reveals the irrationality of belief more than anything else.

How was your last comment geared towards the irrationality of Atheism again? Better yet, point out by comparison what Atheism is irrational to and why.

The irrationality of atheism is the assumption that God does not exist. That is just as ridiculous as saying Genesh exists. Both are guesses.
Whereas one is a guess that Genesh exists DESPITE a gaping lack of Genesh being present, Atheism is a proposition that Genesh does not exist BECAUSE of a lack of Genesh and any other God.

If you propose that not believing in something because something is not present and has never been present is irrationality, then far better to be irrational for real reasons than to appeal to wordplay for the sake of saving face.

You see, the reason being that it does not work when either of us says it anyway. Here, let me show you how dumb your stance sounds:

"The Irrationality of your position is the assumption that Fairies, Wizards, and Superman does not exist. That's just as ridiculous as saying that God exists. They are both guesses."

Now i am quite sure that you can presume that fairies, wizards, and superman does not exist. To assume that they do not is not ridiculous. Neither is it ridiculous to claim that your deity does not exist, especially if the claim is on the shoulders of those who insist it's existence.

You have still, however, failed to answer the premise of my question and i hope you choose to answer it when i ask it this time...

Is it more prudent to accept belief in the absence or existence of something with prior evidence or to accept the belief in the absence or existence of something WITHOUT prior evidence?

There is a lacvk of proof that something does not exist either. Hence irrational

Then there is a lack of proof that fairies, wizards, and superman does not exist. To say that they would not would be a guess, correct? Same as if you assumed they did? Are you waiting on proof that vampires, werewolves, and pokemon aren't real either?

If so, i would have to say that the rational world has left you behind when it comes to burdens of proof.
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
And you have no active belief in no deity either. Making you not an atheist.

I'm an atheist from the fact that I lack an active belief in a deity.

And you are not in the fact that you lack a belief in no deity.

Yes, I lack a belief in no deity, but that still means I lack an active belief in a deity. Which is the main determiner of whether or not I'm a theist.

Am I not a theist? Then I'm an atheist.

You are neutral. An atheist believes in no god.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

Definitions are circular entities. But you're simply saying it as if it is inherent to the definition of atheism that there is a belief in no deities. It isn't (after all, no definition is inherent).
stealthmongoose
God Emperor Akhenaton
stealthmongoose
God Emperor Akhenaton
stealthmongoose
God Emperor Akhenaton

Same would go as to why would one believe it is empty. That is the irrationality of atheism.

Prior evidence suggests that cardboard boxes left out in the middle of the street don't usually contain valuables, especially if they're in the condition that was attributed to this particular box.

Would you look at that, i just rationalized. It's going to be a real kicker when you figure out i'm an Atheist.

I digress though, assumptions are not exclusive to any faith or denomination/lack thereof. There are plenty of Atheists out there who would approach this experiment with a mindset of faith, even if they do not see anything deific in it.

The better question overall would be whether it is more prudent to...

1. Accept a belief in the absence or existence of a Faberge' egg WITHOUT any prior evidence.

OR 2. Accept a belief in the absence or existence of a Faberge' egg WITH prior evidence.

I suppose this reveals the irrationality of belief more than anything else.

How was your last comment geared towards the irrationality of Atheism again? Better yet, point out by comparison what Atheism is irrational to and why.

The irrationality of atheism is the assumption that God does not exist. That is just as ridiculous as saying Genesh exists. Both are guesses.
Whereas one is a guess that Genesh exists DESPITE a gaping lack of Genesh being present, Atheism is a proposition that Genesh does not exist BECAUSE of a lack of Genesh and any other God.

If you propose that not believing in something because something is not present and has never been present is irrationality, then far better to be irrational for real reasons than to appeal to wordplay for the sake of saving face.

You see, the reason being that it does not work when either of us says it anyway. Here, let me show you how dumb your stance sounds:

"The Irrationality of your position is the assumption that Fairies, Wizards, and Superman does not exist. That's just as ridiculous as saying that God exists. They are both guesses."

Now i am quite sure that you can presume that fairies, wizards, and superman does not exist. To assume that they do not is not ridiculous. Neither is it ridiculous to claim that your deity does not exist, especially if the claim is on the shoulders of those who insist it's existence.

You have still, however, failed to answer the premise of my question and i hope you choose to answer it when i ask it this time...

Is it more prudent to accept belief in the absence or existence of something with prior evidence or to accept the belief in the absence or existence of something WITHOUT prior evidence?

There is a lacvk of proof that something does not exist either. Hence irrational

Then there is a lack of proof that fairies, wizards, and superman does not exist. To say that they would not would be a guess, correct? Same as if you assumed they did? Are you waiting on proof that vampires, werewolves, and pokemon aren't real either?

If so, i would have to say that the rational world has left you behind when it comes to burdens of proof.

All of those are just as likely as a god not existing. Do you not get that? all of them are one in infinity of being correct.
God Emperor Akhenaton

You complain that you're being categorized unfairly and you turn around and try to categorize me in a like manner.
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

Definitions are circular entities. But you're simply saying it as if it is inherent to the definition of atheism that there is a belief in no deities. It isn't (after all, no definition is inherent).

But it is what it is. You call it Gnostic atheism. I simply call it atheism.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

But it isn't what it is because there is no "is" to be inherently there in the first place.
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

You complain that you're being categorized unfairly and you turn around and try to categorize me in a like manner.

Eye for an eye.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

Eye for an eye.

Well, you're being the hypocrite here.
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

But it isn't what it is because there is no "is" to be inherently there in the first place.

It is what it is otherwise by your definition, you are including 2 different beliefs into one category.
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton
Kiumaru
God Emperor Akhenaton

Eye for an eye.

Well, you're being the hypocrite here.

Giving someone a taste of their own medicine isn't hypocritical.
God Emperor Akhenaton
It is what it is otherwise by your definition, you are including 2 different beliefs into one category.

And you're separating a dimension "not knowing" into its own belief category.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff