Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Loiterer

Of late, I've been confused about the definition of "atheism." I know what it means, literally "without gods." My issue is, since atheism has such a broad definition, are there any accepted or ways of thinking (beyond "non-belief" in any god) that the majority of atheists accept?
thefluffygamer
Of late, I've been confused about the definition of "atheism." I know what it means, literally "without gods." My issue is, since atheism has such a broad definition, are there any accepted or ways of thinking (beyond "non-belief" in any god) that the majority of atheists accept?

Most atheists believe in causality.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Lucky~9~Lives
thefluffygamer

Indeed!
Lucky~9~Lives
thefluffygamer

Eff you Lucky...We all know that all atheists are irreligious anti-religious closeted Christians. It's true cause you see them all the time talking about atheism being against religion on the television.

What Lucky said.
thefluffygamer

Plenty. The majority would agree that water is wet, that the sky is blue (if it's not cloudy or night), that pain hurts, that shoes are generally supposed to go on your feet, etc.

Of course, if they did not believe those things they would be no less atheist for it.

Dedicated Loiterer

IronySandwich
thefluffygamer

Plenty. The majority would agree that water is wet, that the sky is blue (if it's not cloudy or night), that pain hurts, that shoes are generally supposed to go on your feet, etc.

Of course, if they did not believe those things they would be no less atheist for it.

I meant more in terms of methods of thinking. Skepticism, stoicism, etc. Sorry, I realize now my post isn't worded very well.

Devout Fairy

thefluffygamer

I meant more in terms of methods of thinking. Skepticism, stoicism, etc. Sorry, I realize now my post isn't worded very well.

Atheists are not a united group any more than theists are.

Dedicated Loiterer

Nityananda-rama dasa
thefluffygamer

But theists are grouped under Christianity, Islam, Hindu, etc. Each of those seem to follow a certain ideology, so I figured different types of atheists would be the same way.
I've seen a lot of problems between "old-school" atheists and some of the newer breed, it seemed to me that each of them had their own set of "beliefs," if you will. Mainly to do with acceptance of religion vs. shunning any type of organized religion. Granted, this was quite a while ago, but it seems like there are a few accepted... norms? I'm not sure what you would call it, but there do seem to be some commonalities among groups of atheists.
thefluffygamer
Nityananda-rama dasa
thefluffygamer

But theists are grouped under Christianity, Islam, Hindu, etc. Each of those seem to follow a certain ideology, so I figured different types of atheists would be the same way.
I've seen a lot of problems between "old-school" atheists and some of the newer breed, it seemed to me that each of them had their own set of "beliefs," if you will. Mainly to do with acceptance of religion vs. shunning any type of organized religion. Granted, this was quite a while ago, but it seems like there are a few accepted... norms? I'm not sure what you would call it, but there do seem to be some commonalities among groups of atheists.

It's not the same. Why exactly would people group together over one thing they don't believe? That would be like having a club for people who don't play chess.

Atheists do group up at times, but usually only as a means of dealing with the bigotry of the religious. Atheists are also overrepresented among skeptics, but that's because skepticism leads to atheism, not the reverse.

Dapper Dabbler

thefluffygamer
Nityananda-rama dasa
thefluffygamer

There are some such groups of atheists, yes, that follow philosophies. Others don't.

Keep in mind that not all theists are religious and not all atheists are irreligious.

Kawaii Sentai

User ImageUser Image
User Image

Coincidences are just that, coincidences. I dunno about any theist atheists takes on that part though.

User ImageUser Image

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
thefluffygamer
There is no atheism culture but cultures of atheists. It's very undefined and cause of much confusion. I suppose you could call me the "Skeptic" variety of atheist.
Think of it like this. Football fans organize for their favorite teams, much like theists to their respective deities etc. An atheist, well... a lot of the time we just don't care. It'd be like organizing under a flag that doesn't like football and opposing football to reflect our dislike. Why bother? It would seem a waste of time to one like myself. I do not disbelieve in any god or higher form of power, but I would like to discover or meet one prior to jumping on the bandwagon of belief.

I am an atheist. I do not believe in any god or higher power because I see no evidence, nor any reason to. I find organizing against religious with the attitude of disproving their beliefs to be rediculous and highly absurd. People far more intelligent than I worship a number of faiths. And I will not simply label the lot of them out of ingorance to make my life any easier. In general, I ask that people do the same for atheists. We do vary quite a bit, I will agree, much like theists vary in their ways.
I agree. I believe there is a definitive difference between an Atheist and Agnostic.
The only thing that defines an atheist is the lack of belief in a supernatural deity (a.k.a god.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff