Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nuri
Shinji-Katawane
Shaylee Keita fam trads werent wiccan though. You have to understand that. They were pagan of sorts or practiced witchcrsft. They were not wicca. Wicca did not exhist till Gardner came about.

I don't think she ever said they were wicca.
Maybe I misread her tone, but it seemed that she assuemd that they were a type of wicca. I'm the first to admit when I am wrong though.
no didn't mean they were wicca...sorry if i implied it. I just meant they were a form of witchcraft/magick that predecessed wicca...i hope i spelled that right. In college and can't spell worth a durn. biggrin

really though, the history of the neopagan movement is pretty fascinating. it is becoming really popular. Have to admit, im a neo meself, so i can't really say anything! xd

4,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Hycinth
Ok. Relgions, why do you need to believe in all these rules to believe that there is a higher power? Why do you have to hold yourself back from experiencing life? To believe that this higher power is going to "take you in"?... just a question.

Let me put it this way. The rule that are made are more like guard rails than fences. If you follow them, you're safe. If you don't, you're introuble only because you put yourself in the situations. All the writes and cerimonies are more for our safety than anything else. The rules make choices eaiser for people and save them from the consiquences of the other actions they don't do.(ie. sex before marrage. Having it can=having a kid, STDs, emotional problems, ect. Not having it=no consequences that are above and a great deal more self respect) The riligious rules are for you're safty, nothing else.
The personal code of behavior I hold myself to is far more strict and unforgiving than the bans I've seen some of my less secular comrades live with. Some people actually flourish under regimentation, or when they have a yard stick to meassure themselves to...
Shaylee Keita
no didn't mean they were wicca...sorry if i implied it. I just meant they were a form of witchcraft/magick that predecessed wicca...i hope i spelled that right. In college and can't spell worth a durn. biggrin
Hey I cant spell neither. I said I got the implication. Sometimes I misinterpert things when I read such is the case with your statements.
Shaylee Keita

really though, the history of the neopagan movement is pretty fascinating. it is becoming really popular. Have to admit, im a neo meself, so i can't really say anything! xd
Unfortunatly those that it seems to beocming "popular" with are the angsty teens who do it just to be different. What do you base your faith on?
mine is based on the concept of the god and goddess and i'm very nature-based. I may have started when i was a teen, but it wasn't to be different. It just seemed to suit me better i guess. biggrin
god our creator knows what is best for us. so would it not be wise to follow his guidlines?
Axioma
Behold, my child, for I shall tell you a great secret.

Not all religions are Christianity.
And not all branches of Christianity have so many rules. For example im a libral christian hippie, there for I balive in god and jesus but make my own rules as to how i worshop and go about life.
Darick Cloud
god our creator knows what is best for us. so would it not be wise to follow his guidlines?

Newsflash -- Not everyone (or every religion) believes in a god/the same god you do.

And as far as rules in religion go, they're all bendable to a certain degree, seeing as many were created ages ago and have been translated over and over throughout the course of time. If your having trouble deciding what morals to follow, governmental law is always their to fall back on (even though it can be pretty f'ed up sometimes).
Shaylee Keita
mine is based on the concept of the god and goddess and i'm very nature-based. I may have started when i was a teen, but it wasn't to be different. It just seemed to suit me better i guess. biggrin
what do you mean when you say nature based?
by nature-based, i mean i appreciate nature, and try to coincide with it as best as possible, with out destroying it unnecessarily. I don't hunt or fish unless i know i can use all of it, and i don't go starting fires or anythin. I'm kinda like a hippie i guess when it comes to nature...just don't hug trees though! blaugh
Shaylee Keita
by nature-based, i mean i appreciate nature, and try to coincide with it as best as possible, with out destroying it unnecessarily. I don't hunt or fish unless i know i can use all of it, and i don't go starting fires or anythin. I'm kinda like a hippie i guess when it comes to nature...just don't hug trees though! blaugh
Ok then. Your nature oriented. Atleast thats how I would see it.
I don't really know... most of the rules I follow, I follow because I grew up in a house where those rules were followed. They were traditions, and... they stuck with me. Not everything did, but some things.
I for one am in agreement with Hycinth. Why must one follow the statutes of a religon's version of right and wrong? Can one not discover what is right and wrong on their own? I have long since abandoned to christian church to find a religion I could identify with. I will not worship a God who, by His own words mind you, claims to be everything most humans are (i.e. wrathful, vengeful, jealous, kind, loving, etcetera. The list goes on.). Just because he has the power over life and death means that we should all bow and do whatever a moldy old tome says? I think not.
In my quest, however, I have discovered that morality is an internal thing. It is what lets you sleep soundly at night. I have no need for the belief in a higher order of being watching over us like ants in an ant farm. I live life by my own code. If your code happens to match a religon's, fine. Don't push your beliefs onto someone who doesn't want or need them.
i agree, it feels like people just take it to oseriously without even thinking if you are right.. it really sucks, but you know, you can think for yourself, and you dont have to listen to them.. Seek Your Own Truth

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff