Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Do you think they should be allowed in public places?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on March 26, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Umm...most of them are illegal anyways. You know, like though shallt not murder and such. plus, we are not forcing you to believe that religion, or even promotting it. And also, the Jewish faith has the comandments, and so does the Islamic face. So who cares?

5,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Tamgerine

I stand corrected. However, I believe I got my point across well enough.

Indeed, we killed 'em off so we should ignore that they ever existed even though our system of government is based on one of theirs.
There are too many relgions, and too many 'right' paths in life.

We are taught by our parents morals.... persoanlly I am a baptised christian and served the alter of my church for over 12 years, but I am also a wiccian, druid, native american, and draconian.... for each of us we have to find our individual ways.

To force a symbol of any religon in any public place is to flip off all the people that do not follow that faith and subconsiously the people feel unwelcome, and like they shouldn't be there or lash out with anger.

We all carry our beliefs in our hearts, so why do we need symbols thrown out to us in our daily lives?
simlanna
yesnomaybeso999
Well it matters. It isn't like the 10 commandments are bad. They are good morals at least.

Well, apart from tha whole worshipping false idols and taking thy Lord's name in vain stuff.

Can we pick and choose the commendments we want?? Because, really, how many of us want to be reminded not to covet our neighbor's cow on a daily basis.

I'm curious- without looking them up, how many of you can list all ten of the commandments? I doubt I can. I"m just wondering.

IIRC, in order as follows:

1) Have no other gods before God (meaning Jehovah/YHWH/whatever you wanna call the Judeao-Christian God)

2) No Idol worship

3) Don't take God's name in vain

4) Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy

5) Honor/obey your parents

6) Don't kill

7) No adultery

cool Don't steal

9) Don't lie

10) Don't covet
simlanna
Ryule_Darkbinder
Does anyone here even know what the Fourth Simple Truths are... stare

I know of 4 spiritual laws and 4 noble truths.
Which did you have in mind?? The chance that we will find BUddhist doctrone on a courthouse wall in slim.

It needs to be in court rooms, you know what they say, those Noble truths make life easier if you follow them.
OneOutOfManyMore
Umm...most of them are illegal anyways. You know, like though shallt not murder and such. plus, we are not forcing you to believe that religion, or even promotting it. And also, the Jewish faith has the comandments, and so does the Islamic face. So who cares?

How about the ones that are illegal to force upon people, such as keeping the sabbath holy, not worshipping idols and worshiping the Judaeo-Christian God above all else?

5,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
wispytearz
simlanna
yesnomaybeso999
Well it matters. It isn't like the 10 commandments are bad. They are good morals at least.

Well, apart from tha whole worshipping false idols and taking thy Lord's name in vain stuff.

Can we pick and choose the commendments we want?? Because, really, how many of us want to be reminded not to covet our neighbor's cow on a daily basis.

I'm curious- without looking them up, how many of you can list all ten of the commandments? I doubt I can. I"m just wondering.

1) Have no other gods before God (meaning Jehovah/YHWH/whatever you wanna call the Judeao-Christian God)

2) No Idol worship

6) Don't kill

7) No adultery

cool Don't steal

9) Don't lie

10) Don't covet

Thanks, I forgot two of them. At most 4 of them are illegal (kill, steal lie, adultery which is questionable since I think it only counts in divorce proceedings).
Poffuokii
There is such thing as freedom of religion but it is not freedom from religion. Yet displaying such religious codes at a courthouse is not acceptable, in my opinion.

We have freedom of and from religion in the US. we can choose to follow any or no religion we so wish.
wispytearz
OneOutOfManyMore

How about the ones that are illegal to force upon people, such as keeping the sabbath holy, not worshipping idols and worshiping the Judaeo-Christian God above all else?

They are not forcing you to follow those. You think if you read it, you must do what it says? You must be really weak willed, if that is so.
wispytearz
OneOutOfManyMore

God damn woman. Just because the ten commandments are posted it doesn't mean you have to follow them. Can you honestly say something like this would happen?

*walking down street...notices ten commandments in some yard* OMG! MUST WORSHIP LORD!

They're just there. If you are forced to read them, then it's a problem. But how the ******** is the presence of them a ******** problem? Should it offend people who don't want to have kids when they see their boss having pictures of theirs on their desk? Should people who can't walk be offended when they watch track meets? Seriously.
simlanna
wispytearz
simlanna
yesnomaybeso999

2) No Idol worship

6) Don't kill

7) No adultery

cool Don't steal

9) Don't lie

10) Don't covet

Thanks, I forgot two of them. At most 4 of them are illegal (kill, steal lie, adultery which is questionable since I think it only counts in divorce proceedings).

Adultery is only illegal in some states and in most the penalty is simply grounds for divorce, nothing more. (For example in Maryland, it can carry a fine of 10$* hehe)

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/polygamy/index.shtml
Oh, side not, the only major religions I can think of right now that dont have the 10 comandments are Budiaism(spelling), and Hinduism(spelling). Both are supposed to be very accepting of other religions, and are supposed to accept them. So what is the problem?
Nazlord Ender
wispytearz
OneOutOfManyMore

God damn woman. Just because the ten commandments are posted it doesn't mean you have to follow them. Can you honestly say something like this would happen?

*walking down street...notices ten commandments in some yard* OMG! MUST WORSHIP LORD!

They're just there. If you are forced to read them, then it's a problem. But how the ******** is the presence of them a ******** problem? Should it offend people who don't want to have kids when they see their boss having pictures of theirs on their desk? Should people who can't walk be offended when they watch track meets? Seriously.

Hey dude, relax. i mean, i agree with ytou, but still. Simmer a bit. No need to get rude.
Nazlord Ender
wispytearz
OneOutOfManyMore

God damn man *rolls eyes* Define the word commandment. Place a list of commandments in a publically funded place is the same as our governement sticking their seal of approval on said list of commandments. It is illegal. Get over it. Move on.
My question to you: Is there something wrong with the ten commandments? They are the basic rules that north american society is based upon. If you have a problem with the law (I'm pretty sure that none of the commandments go against it) challenge it in the courts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff