Welcome to Gaia! ::

I find that for some reason it is taboo to ask about ones religion. This is a grave problem since many people are never granted a chance to have their fath challenged. Never will they have to justify their stance. This becomes even more problematic since only the strong willed can rule out bad religious habits accumulated during a lifetime.

So I offer you a chance to justify your religion here. A chance to be challenged and fight back. It's not much, especially since you will lose, but it is something I can offer you.

I have a guild version of this (But it can't be bumped ^.^)

Rules

If your having a hard time starting things off then I can do so (Feel free to PM me if your not into the whole Public thing)

Try now to swamp me (May be in need of Atheists down the line)

Try not to break any of Gaia's Site Rules (But there are so many, and broad ranged. It makes not breaking a rule hard)

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
Is this thread working under the assumption that all religions need to justify themselves as the "right" religion?
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Is this thread working under the assumption that all religions need to justify themselves as the "right" religion?

That statement aplies more to me then this thread, since I belive all religion should be distroyed. I will say yes, although it seems a bit to simple for my taste. I guess a better way to say it would be, "Giving people a chance to defend their religion/beliefs since most will never be given the chance let alone outside views."

Sorry about the spelling, but I have to swich computers quickly.

Liberal Regular

Sohisohi

That statement aplies more to me then this thread, since I belive all religion should be distroyed.

This is the problem I have with the people who say religion should be destroyed: how in the world do you destroy an ideology without compromising freedom of speech and expression?

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I heard that going into Seminary tests a Christians faith more than anything... and if you graduate, you come out stronger in your faith. Some people just can't cut it.

Newbie Noob

6,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Bane of Ezekiel
Sohisohi

That statement aplies more to me then this thread, since I belive all religion should be distroyed.

This is the problem I have with the people who say religion should be destroyed: how in the world do you destroy an ideology without compromising freedom of speech and expression?
I personally don't actually care what people believe in. I just don't want people imposing their beliefs on me as law.
Phallic Wonderland
I heard that going into Seminary tests a Christians faith more than anything... and if you graduate, you come out stronger in your faith. Some people just can't cut it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you or maybe you are doing the same to me. I am offering a last chance at redemption. Once you move past your early adulthood, most can never become atheist or change religions. Only the strong willed can do so. Since few are ever really questioned about there religion, few truly know if it is right for them. I offer then a chance to find out before they lose the choose. If they can not defend their position, perhaps they should do some more soul searching before it is to late.

Bane of Ezekiel
Sohisohi

Tax Places of worship, force government official to openly point out any part in a holy text (that they believe in) that goes against current laws of said state, and allow the teaching of atheism in schools (That last one sounds a bit weird, so if you not all that extreme... Then funding education is a really good start)

Defenestrate Windows
Bane of Ezekiel
Sohisohi

I personally don't actually care what people believe in. I just don't want people imposing their beliefs on me as law.

I think you and I may not get along so well.

Distinct Browser

13,025 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Forum Regular 100
I believe I understood you. Many people are shielded from having to justify their beliefs, which I can agree with to an extent. However, to become a member of the Clergy, I was simply pointing out that during studies, it challenges ones faith to an extreme extent, and if they can't make the cut, they don't become clergy. Those that can justify their beliefs in the face of questioning come out stronger, and a more capable clergy member.

So, many people who want to take the next step and preach the word in Christianity, officially, goes through a more strenuous test than those who find justification of bigotry and hate in their Holy script and remain immature students of their faith.
Phallic Wonderland
...However, to become a member of the Clergy, I was simply pointing out that during studies, it challenges ones faith to an extreme extent, and if they can't make the cut, they don't become clergy. Those that can justify their beliefs in the face of questioning come out stronger, and a more capable clergy member...

Agreed, although this is not really pointed at clergymen. I do get what your saying, but those who do not question there faith have no reason not to believe it.

Not to sound cheap, but I will take what I can get. Most people "Will" reject any and all attempts aimed at their religion, but a few start to rethink what they have been spoon feed their lives.

Which leaves me with this. If not questioning them is going to lead to them being devout through stubbornness anyway, then why not enlighten the few to the countless possibilities and just push along the destined to their fates.
Defenestrate Windows
Bane of Ezekiel
Sohisohi

So then you should not impose that personal belief on others as well.
Okay Sohisohi, my religion is Karaite Skepticism. Do I pass the God Test?
As a rule of thumb, I do not talk to people who are not open to intelligent discussion. Trying your hardest to destroy someones religion is not discussion and is not helpful for either party.
Not all religions have gods; not all atheists are irreligious.

8,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
It says in the bible God can never be tested. So dumb luck on you lols.
Ossoofoo
Defenestrate Windows

So then you should not impose that personal belief on others as well.

Your both wrong anyway, how do you expect to pass any laws. The beliefs of one person, even if not religious, are still beliefs. How will either of you two run a country. Who's options and beliefs will be made into laws. You have to impose personal beliefs, or you would not have any laws Ossoofoo. And to Defenestrate Windows, get used to it because this is how things are run in democracies.

And to your other part, since you posted twice... This assumes that the first thing that is ever dropped down in front of any infant is what is best for them.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff