Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky~9~Lives
Not all religions have gods; not all atheists are irreligious.

And not all cats have 9 lives. If it has a god I will fight it and if it can be called a religion I will destroy it. (or at least try)

BATCATGIRL
It says in the bible God can never be tested. So dumb luck on you lols.

Which is why it is a really good thing people are not gods.
fschmidt
Okay Sohisohi, my religion is Karaite Skepticism. Do I pass the God Test?

It is give or take 1:00 am my time, so you will have to way for tomorrow. Now, I have to ask one thing. Is this your own flavor (AKA that link is to one of your writing) if not I may need to research it a bit more.

Although I have some thoughts on it now... I will hold off till tomorrow.
Sohisohi
It is give or take 1:00 am my time, so you will have to way for tomorrow. Now, I have to ask one thing. Is this your own flavor (AKA that link is to one of your writing) if not I may need to research it a bit more.

Yes, it is my own flavor.

Unbeatable Survivor

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Survivor 150
Not sure if your joking or serious OP. Going to assume you are actually a real hollywood athiest for this post.

I would like to suggest that even heavily antiquated religions serve some good purposes, not to mention that stifling free speech is very ineffective at stopping ideas, and true believers will ignore facts contrary to their beliefs.

Religions that press that one must be a good person tend to make people at least act like a good person by them believing that a omnipotent figure is writing down any evil acts for punishment for a really long time. This can encourage evil people to do good things, if only by threat of punishment.

Though Religion is also a negative thing in areas where the local clergy are attempting to stifle intelligence and free thought, and can lead to murder via witch hunts and mass death from otherwise easily cured diseases.

Mostly, from my experiences with people far more religious then me, it is the people who are in control of the local clergy who can make religion good or evil.

Becoming an athiest is simply a lack of faith in a diety. trying to shock and cajole people who believe is not the way to convince them that their god isn't real, just that your a d**k and everything that they have been told about us is true, when in fact it is quite possible for athiests to be nice people.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Sohisohi
Phallic Wonderland
I heard that going into Seminary tests a Christians faith more than anything... and if you graduate, you come out stronger in your faith. Some people just can't cut it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you or maybe you are doing the same to me. I am offering a last chance at redemption. Once you move past your early adulthood, most can never become atheist or change religions. Only the strong willed can do so.

Absolute Bullshit

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
So essentially this thread exists for you to get a Hard On over how amazingly smart you are, while batting other people around?

Awesome.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I'd like to take a moment to diffuse the negative commentary started on this thread that didn't address OP's general premise.

I have to say it's very admirable for an atheist to come out and take such an open stance against religion, considering the typical tauntery that comes from not being 'brave enough' to do so.

What disgusts me is that people will take this expression and claim that it is a rudeness or a trampling of beliefs that was not brought on by those who instigated it in the first place.

That being out of the way, I think you're perfectly equal in justification for creating this thread as any religious individual might be for creating any thread that portrays the perceived foolishness of Atheism.

In fact, i'd go as far as to say that you've taken it a step further by allowing people to openly speak of their beliefs and have them challenged.

I'd also like to make an independent comment towards Ossoofoo, which is very personal and probably has little to do with the discussion, so feel free to ignore it as many of you undoubtedly will:

@Ossoofoo: Anyone who pretends to be a fortress is asking to have their weaknesses checked. Religions are no different, and discussing these weaknesses is intelligent, beneficial, and superior to feigned ignorance in every way.

Sohisohi
Phallic Wonderland
...However, to become a member of the Clergy, I was simply pointing out that during studies, it challenges ones faith to an extreme extent, and if they can't make the cut, they don't become clergy. Those that can justify their beliefs in the face of questioning come out stronger, and a more capable clergy member...

Agreed, although this is not really pointed at clergymen. I do get what your saying, but those who do not question there faith have no reason not to believe it.

Not to sound cheap, but I will take what I can get. Most people "Will" reject any and all attempts aimed at their religion, but a few start to rethink what they have been spoon feed their lives.

Which leaves me with this. If not questioning them is going to lead to them being devout through stubbornness anyway, then why not enlighten the few to the countless possibilities and just push along the destined to their fates.

You seem to have the idea that people cannot question their lives and have their beliefs in a religion or a deity become even more solidified for them.

Newbie Noob

6,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ossoofoo
Defenestrate Windows
Bane of Ezekiel
Sohisohi

That statement aplies more to me then this thread, since I belive all religion should be distroyed.

This is the problem I have with the people who say religion should be destroyed: how in the world do you destroy an ideology without compromising freedom of speech and expression?
I personally don't actually care what people believe in. I just don't want people imposing their beliefs on me as law.

So then you should not impose that personal belief on others as well.
True. Cecular values don't actually impose anything on people. Allowing gay marriage doesn't make you get gay married. Abortion(it does have some biblical arguments) doesn't make you get an abortion. These all are choices. No one is forcing you to make them. If you prohibit these things then you are restricting us to laws of your religion.
Sohisohi
It's not much, especially since you will lose, but it is something I can offer you.
I have done this a million + 1 times. Most people aren't smart enough to actually do this because it can get terribly extensive. I don't think you'd win and that's on the basic deities like the well-known ones and the super-simple ones. Why are you here masquerading your d**k waggling as honest "Philosophical Concern"?

Questionable Shapeshifter

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Lucky~9~Lives
not all atheists are irreligious

Care to expnad on that? I've found most atheists to be quite oppositional that assertion,

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Haha Coffee
Sohisohi
Phallic Wonderland
I heard that going into Seminary tests a Christians faith more than anything... and if you graduate, you come out stronger in your faith. Some people just can't cut it.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you or maybe you are doing the same to me. I am offering a last chance at redemption. Once you move past your early adulthood, most can never become atheist or change religions. Only the strong willed can do so.

Absolute Bullshit

Is it just me, or does the bolded part attempt the define atheism as a virtuious goal to achieve? Seems to hedge the playing field to the advantage of the challenger. It implies that strong faith denotes a weakness, causing the other side to have doubts going in. Basically a lose/lose senerio. Stand firm in your faith and you're weak. "Open your eyes" and you loose the game.

@OP, uh yeah, but no thanks. If I want to play heads you win, tails I lose, I'll just get a quarter.
vwytche
Lucky~9~Lives

Care to expnad on that? I've found most atheists to be quite oppositional that assertion,
Most is not all. Atheistic religions where there are no deities incorporated exist. Jainism for instance. Buddhism for another. Taoism. Even Jedi has no actual gods.

19,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Rat Conqueror 500
Derek Gibson
vwytche
Lucky~9~Lives

Most is not all. Atheistic religions where there are no deities incorporated exist. Jainism for instance. Buddhism for another. Taoism. Even Jedi has no actual gods.

Oh, I don't disagree, I'm just intersted in hearing another's thoughts on the matter. I've ntoiced one sure way to start fight is to call atheism a religion in front of an atheiest.

Boy, I'll never make that mistake again. lol
vwytche
Derek Gibson
vwytche
Lucky~9~Lives

Oh, I don't disagree, I'm just intersted in hearing another's thoughts on the matter. I've ntoiced one sure way to start fight is to call atheism a religion in front of an atheiest.

Boy, I'll never make that mistake again. lol
The good news is that if you call Theism a religion in front of someone they should have the same indignation. The bad news is they are too stupid to realize that ... in general.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff