Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837
Gardening_with_Rave_Music
LoveLoud837
This is not remotely evidence. What does the bible say about heaven?

John 14:2-4
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

Revelation 21:4 ESV

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Revelation 21:22-27 ESV

And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations.

1 Corinthians 2:9 ESV

But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”—

Revelation 21:1 ESV

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Revelation 21:27 ESV

But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Revelation 21:18 ESV

The wall was built of jasper, while the city was pure gold, clear as glass.

Revelation 12:7-9 ESV

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

John 6:47-50 ESV

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.

Romans 1:18 ESV

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

1 Peter 1:4 ESV

To an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,

Main verses being Revelation 21:4 and 1 Corinthians 2:9

The bible is no more proof of a literal afterlife in heaven or hell than Harry Potter novels are proof of shopping at a literal Diagon Alley.

That wasn't the question though. The question was, what does the bible say about heaven? And it says lots of things about heaven, but equally leaves lots of questions left to be desired. I never said the bible was proof of heaven, never denied it, but it isn't being questioned.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
LoveLoud837
The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837
LoveLoud837

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations.

But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”—

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

To an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you,

The bible is no more proof of a literal afterlife in heaven or hell than Harry Potter novels are proof of shopping at a literal Diagon Alley.

That wasn't the question though. The question was, what does the bible say about heaven? And it says lots of things about heaven, but equally leaves lots of questions left to be desired. I never said the bible was proof of heaven, never denied it, but it isn't being questioned.

Yep, and what't the topic of the thread itself? Is "let's discuss how flawed this video is from a Christian perspective", which your initial response would seem to indicate, or is it supposed to be an attempt for Christians to see an atheist's point of view?
The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837
The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837
LoveLoud837

Yep, and what't the topic of the thread itself? Is "let's discuss how flawed this video is from a Christian perspective", which your initial response would seem to indicate, or is it supposed to be an attempt for Christians to see an atheist's point of view?

I'm trying to understand if the point of this post was to degrade me for being right or for you to just express how much you hate me.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
LoveLoud837
The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837
The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837

I'm trying to understand if the point of this post was to degrade me for being right or for you to just express how much you hate me.

Why would you necessarily assume that those were the only logical options based upon my demonstrating that you are - once again - trying to lead a discussion into an avenue that you want to discuss, rather than addressing the topic at hand?

Is the intended topic of this thread a discussion of how the video fails to represent your Christian perspective , yes or no?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
LoveLoud837
The video in the OP failed to show how miserable Hell was, and failed to show how great Heaven was, and failed to show the suffering in this world.

That's because the video was made to combat the argument that life has no meaning without an afterlife...so of course it's not going to talk about that. It's an outright pointless objection.

Greedy Consumer

The Legendary Guest
LoveLoud837

The bible is not remotely evidence - what does the Bhagavad Gita say about moksha? wink

(see also: s**t Fundies Never Consider™)

So much for an effort to understand atheism, right? You tried, though.
Lol. This is just one tho. To be statistically safe technically you need 30 or more, the more the merrier, before coming to a conclusion. And even then it wouldn't be 'christians' it'd be 'internet using christians who happen to see this video and talk about it on gaia online who came to my thread in this forum etc'

And I know its not overall evidence, but it is evidence of what a christian should technically veiw christianity's heaven as, rather than complete ******** religious fanfiction.

Greedy Consumer

LoveLoud837
LoveLoud837

There's already a contradiction
'But nothing unclean will ever enter it,'
Then 'Now war arose in heaven'.

And based on how it describes heaven, its a place where no suffering occurs, no sleep occurs, worship occurs, walking occurs. So, what can you do there? There just simply living. There's more to do on earth to occupy our time than that. They don't have a need for learning how to build new homes. The glory of heaven may fade with time as individuals get more used to it, unless of course, they obsess over it, which would interfere with an argument Christians us about God allowing free will, otherwise hell would be an unfair place, free will is their excuse for it, and if in heaven you are sort of forced into a position where free will doesn't exist entirely. There is no house making. There's already enough homes. There is no fishing, because there is no sea. Do you know how many generations of people across the world depended on fish? This will leave many people unoccupied. So, it representing it as repetitive prayer is not too exaggerated. And he was not good enough of an animator to make it more representative of the described heaven of the bible visually. So in heaven, the one new constant would probably be what they described, worship. And besides the book of revelations was proven to be something else scholarly, so while it vastly contradicts the other parts of the bible, it shouldn't be taken seriously. I tried finding a reference to worshiping God in heaven on google but just found this

'In the center and around the throne were four living beings, each covered with eyes, front and back. 7 The first of these living beings was like a lion; the second was like an ox; the third had a human face; and the fourth was like an eagle in flight. 8 Each of these living beings had six wings, and their wings were covered all over with eyes, inside and out. Day after day and night after night they keep on saying,

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty—
the one who always was, who is, and who is still to come.”

9 Whenever the living beings give glory and honor and thanks to the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever), 10 the twenty-four elders fall down and worship the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever). And they lay their crowns before the throne and say,

11 “You are worthy, O Lord our God,
to receive glory and honor and power.
For you created all things,
and they exist because you created what you pleased.”

Aside from how Demonic they look and supposedly no unclean thing being in heaven (many alive or dead would find them to be unclean), it contradicts the bible that he is the one who keeps living forever and ever, referring to god of course. Except, in heaven, wouldn't they live forever too? Is that not what the whole concept of heaven is?

Anyways this is what scholars say about revelations. http://kottke.org/12/06/the-bibles-book-of-revelation-explained summarized really. Just forget about the stupid ad part at the bottom, as its irrelevant to our discussion.

So I was looking more to what activities are done in heaven, which would lead him to portray it in that manner. And while it is not a super realistic portrayal of heaven or whatnot. It still makes a strong argument I think Atheists and Christians could both comprehend.

Did you understand the point of the video? And what do you think is the point of the video? Aside from just rejecting Christianity of course.

Zealot

It wouldn't get the point accross if it showed how horrible hell is because they wouldnt have the time to talk voer the sounds of their screams and fire.

and heaven, okay, so you are blissful in heaven. You are reunited with relatives. Then, the rest is, idk, boring like it suggested?
Boring to us now perhaps, but I doubt we would hold the same opinions in heaven.

Greedy Consumer

Dieu des hommes
It wouldn't get the point accross if it showed how horrible hell is because they wouldnt have the time to talk voer the sounds of their screams and fire.

and heaven, okay, so you are blissful in heaven. You are reunited with relatives. Then, the rest is, idk, boring like it suggested?
Boring to us now perhaps, but I doubt we would hold the same opinions in heaven.
If heaven is eternal it would appear as common-place eventually unless our minds behaved differently in which case god would be interfering with free will, which is an argument Christians use to explain why hell is not unjust. Unless of course some events happen only so many years, which keeps stuff fresh. But eventually its all just routine and clock-work at that point.

Zealot

If heaven is eternal it would appear as common-place eventually unless our minds behaved differently in which case god would be interfering with free will, which is an argument Christians use to explain why hell is not unjust. Unless of course some events happen only so many years, which keeps stuff fresh. But eventually its all just routine and clock-work at that point.
Heaven would be a dominion far beyond our comprehension. To even compare to life on this planet would be an insult to what it is meant to represent.

Greedy Consumer

Dieu des hommes
Heaven would be a dominion far beyond our comprehension. To even compare to life on this planet would be an insult to what it is meant to represent.
Where is it implying that in the bible?
I can comprehend a lot. Not perfectly. But, still. Add some different emotions and distortion effects and psychology and give everyone 20/20 vision to look at the breathing taking imagery or something. Different atmosphere if any at all. It says its always day time, meaning it could literally be heat vision, or some other type of vision with other senses. It shouldn't be too complicated. After a while we would get used to it unless its impossible to get used to, in which case we have altered psychologies or something. Senses are senses, until that changes then I would say its fairly predictable.
There's already a contradiction
'But nothing unclean will ever enter it,'
Then 'Now war arose in heaven'.

And based on how it describes heaven, its a place where no suffering occurs, no sleep occurs, worship occurs, walking occurs. So, what can you do there? There just simply living. There's more to do on earth to occupy our time than that. They don't have a need for learning how to build new homes. The glory of heaven may fade with time as individuals get more used to it, unless of course, they obsess over it, which would interfere with an argument Christians us about God allowing free will, otherwise hell would be an unfair place, free will is their excuse for it, and if in heaven you are sort of forced into a position where free will doesn't exist entirely. There is no house making. There's already enough homes. There is no fishing, because there is no sea. Do you know how many generations of people across the world depended on fish? This will leave many people unoccupied. So, it representing it as repetitive prayer is not too exaggerated. And he was not good enough of an animator to make it more representative of the described heaven of the bible visually. So in heaven, the one new constant would probably be what they described, worship. And besides the book of revelations was proven to be something else scholarly, so while it vastly contradicts the other parts of the bible, it shouldn't be taken seriously. I tried finding a reference to worshiping God in heaven on google but just found this

'In the center and around the throne were four living beings, each covered with eyes, front and back. 7 The first of these living beings was like a lion; the second was like an ox; the third had a human face; and the fourth was like an eagle in flight. 8 Each of these living beings had six wings, and their wings were covered all over with eyes, inside and out. Day after day and night after night they keep on saying,

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God, the Almighty—
the one who always was, who is, and who is still to come.”

9 Whenever the living beings give glory and honor and thanks to the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever), 10 the twenty-four elders fall down and worship the one sitting on the throne (the one who lives forever and ever). And they lay their crowns before the throne and say,

11 “You are worthy, O Lord our God,
to receive glory and honor and power.
For you created all things,
and they exist because you created what you pleased.”

Aside from how Demonic they look and supposedly no unclean thing being in heaven (many alive or dead would find them to be unclean), it contradicts the bible that he is the one who keeps living forever and ever, referring to god of course. Except, in heaven, wouldn't they live forever too? Is that not what the whole concept of heaven is?

Anyways this is what scholars say about revelations. http://kottke.org/12/06/the-bibles-book-of-revelation-explained summarized really. Just forget about the stupid ad part at the bottom, as its irrelevant to our discussion.

So I was looking more to what activities are done in heaven, which would lead him to portray it in that manner. And while it is not a super realistic portrayal of heaven or whatnot. It still makes a strong argument I think Atheists and Christians could both comprehend.

Did you understand the point of the video? And what do you think is the point of the video? Aside from just rejecting Christianity of course.

I wouldn't say that is a contradiction, although yes, explaining that would take a lot more knowledge than I have. There is a prophesy of war against Satan in the bible, and that is what is taking place. Sin is defeated and what is left is heaven and paradise. 'Nothing unclean' refers to more people, sin, suffering, etc. The end prophesy of war doesn't really change that. And Sin is defeated completely, without any loss to Heaven. Michael and his archangels are the ones that fought the war, and angels are in heaven until they sin, then they are cast out. You see that a third of the angels were cast out along with Satan in the beginning. Satan, though, had access to heaven, as you see in the beginning of Job.

Having not read or sat through a class on revelations, I can say that I don't know enough about it, but I am sure there are answers.

No sleep is folly. God gives us a mansion, he also says come to me, all who are weak and heavy-laden and I will give you rest. No food is folly. In all the book of Luke, any time Jesus is with someone its almost always with food.

Heaven is more left up to the imagination of what it will be til we get there, kinda taking one out of Nancy Pelosi's book there, but yeah.

And it won't be us on a puffy cloud playing a harp, because yeah that's hell.

Zealot

I can comprehend a lot. Not perfectly. But, still. Add some different emotions and distortion effects and psychology and give everyone 20/20 vision to look at the breathing taking imagery or something. Different atmosphere if any at all. It says its always day time, meaning it could literally be heat vision, or some other type of vision with other senses. It shouldn't be too complicated. After a while we would get used to it unless its impossible to get used to, in which case we have altered psychologies or something. Senses are senses, until that changes then I would say its fairly predictable.
The maximum you can comprehend is as much as the natural laws of this universe allow you. Even then, no living human could even climb close to the maximum. Then you have God, who would be infinite above even the maximum comprehension allowed in this universe. When you think about it like this, then reducing his dominion to human terms would be foolhardy of us.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Dieu des hommes
The maximum you can comprehend is as much as the natural laws of this universe allow you. Even then, no living human could even climb close to the maximum. Then you have God, who would be infinite above even the maximum comprehension allowed in this universe. When you think about it like this, then reducing his dominion to human terms would be foolhardy of us.

Placing a definition out of reach of comprehension ad infinitum is quite the fallacy. There's not many straws left and I hope you have a tight grip on them.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Dieu des hommes

Which just goes to show you, you will not be "yourself" in such an afterlife if you would lose any capacity you have to become bored with repetition and the sense of time passing became meaningless.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff