Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Lady Nightmare~
God loves us so much, that he will give us what we wanted. An afterlife without his presence. (note: this is my Christian friend talking, not me)
Kind of a different way to put it, but yeah. One of the amazing things about God is that he gives us free will. He never forces us to do anything. It's one of the manifold ways he shows his love for us that he allows us to choose whether or not we want to love him back.
AgentCimorene
That's nice. But that's what I believe and I never said that you were wrong or try to convince you otherwise. And a black void sounds pretty bad for all of eternity, to just sit there and only be able to think, not talk to anyone and be absent of all love an hope.

You didn't say anything that I didn't say. What makes hell different than this "black void" you speak of? You think there is a physical hell for all the "demons" and a "black void" for all humans? Where is your Biblical basis for such a belief?
Battousai-nii
~Lady Nightmare~
God loves us so much, that he will give us what we wanted. An afterlife without his presence. (note: this is my Christian friend talking, not me)
Kind of a different way to put it, but yeah. One of the amazing things about God is that he gives us free will. He never forces us to do anything. It's one of the manifold ways he shows his love for us that he allows us to choose whether or not we want to love him back.
Kinda the way a mother is loving if she doesn't interfere when her older daughter (this would be me) stuffs her younger daughter (my soon-to-be-late-sister) in an oven and lets her roast to death.

Respecting free will =/= loving, but neglecting.
Axioma
Battousai-nii
~Lady Nightmare~
Kinda the way a mother is loving if she doesn't interfere when her older daughter (this would be me) stuffs her younger daughter (my soon-to-be-late-sister) in an oven and lets her roast to death.

Firstly, how often do such things happen? Secondly that example doesn't really fit. My point was that God allows us to make our own decisions. I'm not saying He condones sin. Salvation is not forced. A better example would be a mother allowing her daughter to take a difficult job, because of what it might teach her in the end.
Battousai-nii
Axioma
Battousai-nii
~Lady Nightmare~

Firstly, how often do such things happen? Secondly that example doesn't really fit. My point was that God allows us to make our own decisions. I'm not saying He condones sin. Salvation is not forced. A better example would be a mother allowing her daughter to take a difficult job, because of what it might teach her in the end.

It fits in perfectly. And why does it matter how often such things happen. The fact is that they DO happen.

Axioma used the example of the mother and her daughters. It's not that the mother condones the eldest daughter's actions, but that she wants her to have "free will" and make her own choices. Why should you leave out this example?

In other words, Axioma claims that God is being negligent when he does not stop "evil actions" from harming his creation.
Bacodus
Battousai-nii
Axioma
Battousai-nii
~Lady Nightmare~

It fits in perfectly. And why does it matter how often such things happen. The fact is that they DO happen.

Axioma used the example of the mother and her daughters. It's not that the mother condones the eldest daughter's actions, but that she wants her to have "free will" and make her own choices. Why should you leave out this example?

In other words, Axioma claims that God is being negligent when he does not stop "evil actions" from harming his creation.
My point was about salvation, the question of ending up in heaven or Hell. To me, that takes a big precedence over earthly affairs. I believe God does intervene at times to stops evil acts such as the one you described. Other things are let be as part of the divine plan.

*shrug*Whether I die tomorrow by a murderer or in fifty years to old age matters little. I have my purpose on this earth. When it's achieved he'll take me.
Battousai-nii
I believe God does intervene at times to stops evil acts such as the one you described.

Er, what about this then?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/02/20/family.torture.ap/index.html
uisce
Battousai-nii
I believe God does intervene at times to stops evil acts such as the one you described.

I don't know. I can only have faith there's a reason. Sorry if that sounds naive to you.
Battousai-nii
uisce
Battousai-nii

I don't know. I can only have faith there's a reason. Sorry if that sounds naive to you.
So we cannot know God's reason for doing what he does?
I could be wrong with this ((seeing as I'm not Christian, but I live in South Texas which is 90% Catholic)) but I was under the impression that you give up something for lent, and meat on Fridays, as a test of faith. It test your willpower and ablility to say no to something. At least, that's the way I see...Most people I know just do it because that's what there told to do..

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
~Lady Nightmare~
Battousai-nii
uisce
Battousai-nii

So we cannot know God's reason for doing what he does?

Exactly. That's what faith is. We trust and follow after God, not understanding exactly why He is doing something, but we have faith that it is for our wellbeing and in our best interest. It's kinda like when Jesus stayed away while His friend Lazarus was dying. He was blamed for letting Lazarus die. But there was a point. If Lazarus had not died, Jesus would not have been able to show that He can raise the dead (well, not exactly, but I'm having a hard time explaining it ^^; ).

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I go against god's teachings because I eat meat every day.
no meat on fridays is just some made up tradition, now if you agree to do it and you don't then you are going against your own comitment which is wrong. But you won't automatically go to hell for it.

Lent is a season to remeber Christ's 40 days of fasting in the wilderness. In rememberance of that many christians traditionally go without something so they can somewhat feel like Christ did or some thing. However, Christ never comanded people to do any such thing, and I don't think any of the bible writers did. so it's purely a traditional thing. and maybe it's a good thing too. But the only time it's wrong is when you promise to give something up and don't or if you knowingly tempt someone else to forsake their promise.

of course if you aren't a christian non of that applies to you really.

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Bible talks about fasting in alot of places, especially in the Letters (if my memory serves me well). I don't think there's anything specifically pertaining to fasting during Lent, but the Bible does talk about fasting.
lilia_kyosuke
I know this is going to be a very stupid question, but if you eat meat during lent will you go to hell for it. I'm just asking out of curosity (spelling). I myself am episcopalian, and my pastor hasn't really discussed what we are supposed to do during the lent season. All he has really said is that we should choose something to give up for 6 weeks. Which I understand. If anyone could give me any answer please let me know......Thanks

To answer that question, no, you will not go to hell for eating meat during lent. in fact, lent is a great time to eat meat because to most of us, lent is just another set of forty days like any other set of forty days in a year and meat tastes great. Why must you give up something you love, especially when you didn`t hurt anybody to have what u love

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff