Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have been reading through a lot of these topics and there are way too many people saying "I hate this religion" and "I hate this country" and all this other garbage....

You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT say things like that. Everyone within that religion or country is different and independant. I am an Christian American. That DOES NOT define who i am. I repeat....this DOES NOT tell you what kind of person i am.

Every person within that group has their own beliefs and values on their own religion and their own country, the government, etc.

I personally dont agree AT ALL with some of the things America has done to other countries. I will also not force my religion OR my beliefs on you. If you believe the same thing as me, awesome. If you don't, that is your opinion.

Please, please, please stop saying that you hate a group of people. You CANT. They are all different people, they all believe different things, they all dont agree with with what YOU think they believe in.

Thats all i can say, the rest is up to you.
I agree with you, but as long as there are groups of people, other people will use stereotypes to define the groups. It's best not to waste your breath complaining about it.
People tend to stereotype. It's in their nature. Sometimes there's a good reason for it, sometimes its just thinking what you want to think, seeing what you want to see.
Hudelf
I have been reading through a lot of these topics and there are way too many people saying "I hate this religion" and "I hate this country" and all this other garbage....

I hate people who complain about stereotypes.

Hudelf
You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT say things like that.

Sure we can. Watch. "I HATE SCIENTOLOGISTS!"

You just don't like it.

Hudelf
Everyone within that religion or country is different and independant.

And yet, they all share the common attribute of being part of that religion/country. And if I hate on the basis of that attribute, my hatred is not misplaced.

Hudelf
That DOES NOT define who i am.

No, but it defines part of it.

Hudelf
I repeat....this DOES NOT tell you what kind of person i am.

No, but it tells us part of it.

Hudelf
I will also not force my religion OR my beliefs on you.

What, so you're okay with me going to Hell?

Thanks a lot.

Hudelf
If you don't, that is your opinion.

But presumably your opinion is that I am incorrect, since only one of our beliefs can be true. So isn't it then your obligation to correct me and save me from the folly of my ignorance?

Hudelf
Please, please, please stop saying that you hate a group of people. You CANT.

Obviously, I can. You just don't like it.

Hudelf
They are all different people, they all believe different things, they all dont agree with with what YOU think they believe in.

If I say "I hate all Christians", and Christianity is defined as "Belief in Jesus Christ as the Savior" (or something along those lines), then they do all agree with what I think they believe in.

Hudelf
Thats all i can say, the rest is up to you.

Perhaps you should say less next time.
you do know that by saying that you are doing exactly what you hate to people who steriotype......just thought i should point that out, and you need to shut up becuase everyone is intitled to there own opinion.
NO. All you said is the opposite of what i said. You made no valid argument of stereotypes. You cannot say that the stereotypes bring about anything good in this world. I told you that i would not put you down for your beliefs and all you proceeded to do was make personal attacks on mine. I refuse to tell you exactly what i believe because it wont make a damn difference to people like you. If you dont want to hear about it, then go back to your shell of a world.

If you DO care about what i have to say, or wanna know exactly what i DO believe, PM me or email me. Other than that, dont make me waste my time and my breath.
chimerling
becuase everyone is intitled to there own opinion.

Since when?

When did this absurdity become "fact"?

I don't get it. Why should I let other people have their own opinions and treat them as equals if their opinions are idiotic and uneducated? If I know better, why should I respect their idiocy?
chimerling
you do know that by saying that you are doing exactly what you hate to people who steriotype......just thought i should point that out, and you need to shut up becuase everyone is intitled to there own opinion.

Please, this is tiring. xp Are we going to watch every word we say? Why bother? Say what you feel, and don't be too proud to claim you are wrong. Then learn from your mistakes.
Hudelf
NO. All you said is the opposite of what i said.

No, what?

Hudelf
You made no valid argument of stereotypes.

Perhaps you meant 'for' stereotypes, which he wasn't doing. All he was saying is that you shouldn't tell people that they cannot do what is obviously within their power. Should not, maybe, but cannot, no.

Hudelf
You cannot say that the stereotypes bring about anything good in this world.

And he didn't.

Hudelf
I told you that i would not put you down for your beliefs and all you proceeded to do was make personal attacks on mine.

But your beliefs on the subject (at least as you expressed them) are wrong.

Hudelf
I refuse to tell you exactly what i believe because it wont make a damn difference to people like you.

I don't believe he asked in the first place. Nonetheless, I'm sure he's crushed.

Hudelf
If you dont want to hear about it, then go back to your shell of a world.

Ouch.
Sterotypes can be good. They make it so that our brains don't curl up and die everytime we encounter a person and have to process information. Stereotypes are patterns.
Hudelf
NO. All you said is the opposite of what i said.

Right, because what you said was untrue and largely idiotic. So I pointed out a handful of the many falsehoods.

Hudelf
You cannot say that the stereotypes bring about anything good in this world.

Sure I can. Watch.

"Stereotypes bring about anything good in the world."

It was remarkably easy for something that "cannot" be done.

Hudelf
I told you that i would not put you down for your beliefs and all you proceeded to do was make personal attacks on mine.

Righto. Because I don't share the belief that I shouldn't put you down for your beliefs.

Hudelf
I refuse to tell you exactly what i believe because it wont make a damn difference to people like you.

At least you got this right.

Your beliefs, in this discussion, are irrelevant. What is relevant are the flaws in your perspective that I pointed out.

Hudelf
If you dont want to hear about it, then go back to your shell of a world.

So much for "Not putting me down because of my beliefs", eh?

Hudelf
If you DO care about what i have to say, or wanna know exactly what i DO believe, PM me or email me. Other than that, dont make me waste my time and my breath.

I really couldn't care much less.
chimerling

i said NOTHING about hating people who stereotype. I just dont understand it. Call me naive, call me stupid, call me whatever. I wont say that to you, whether you believe in stereotypes, or if you agree with me. You've got your opinions; keep them, change them, reverse them, its up to you. All i can do is try to help others understand MY point. There will always be people who are simply too stubborn to have their opinions changed. Maybe i am one of them. Maybe i just dont want to open my eyes and see that this world will NEVER change and will simply continue to degrade into more and more corruption. But i can at least try to change the minds of at least one person, and if that person isnt you, then i just have to keep trying.
Nuri
Sterotypes can be good. They make it so that our brains don't curl up and die everytime we encounter a person and have to process information. Stereotypes are patterns.

Yes but that doesnt mean that you have to make judgements about people before you know them, even though they will almost undoubtedly happen subconciously. All you can do is try not to take people at face value, and take them as an individual.
Hudelf
Nuri

Yes but that doesnt mean that you have to make judgements about people before you know them, even though they will almost undoubtedly happen subconciously. All you can do is try not to take people at face value, and take them as an individual.

So we're supposed to be able to stop processes that we aren't aware of?
The best thing would be for people to not be the stereotype and break the expectation, instead.
Nuri
So we're supposed to be able to stop processes that we aren't aware of? The best thing would be for people to not be the stereotype and break the expectation, instead.

Like i said, we cant stop these processes, we just have to try to be aware of them. If you see someone dressed a certain way for example, you just have to try and keep an open mind, even though they might happen to fit into that stereotype. There will always be someone that goes against it. You just have to teach yourself to see it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff