Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
I would like to disbar your original argument on Revan's philosophy and propose that Revan was a Grey Jedi, only marked as a sith for his actions against the Jedi rather than his actual Philosophy.

If you want to know more on Grey Jedi you should explore the methods Kreia and Jolee Bindo used in their adventures as force users.

The reason i must make this differentiation is that as a follower of some of revan's precepts i find it disingenuous to attribute the whole of his philosophy to any one of the two factions.

At best it's a splitting of hairs rather than an actual definition of his path.

well, thing is, he was at one point a Sith. and not just any Sith, but a Dark Lord of the Sith. also, the fictional Order of Revan, a.k.a. the Revanite religious cult, was founded by Sith who worshipped Darth Revan. and finally, Revanite Realism is considered a branch of Sith Realism.

it's not to say that you are incorrect -- just that that is why I listed it as I did. yes, Revan was a Grey Jedi. but he also was Sith at one point. and furthermore, in the end, Revan was neither Jedi nor Sith, but something greater than both.

Can i understand then that you're sampling from the revanite cult and their teachings more than the path of Revan himself? This is perfectly fine, by the way, as it actually reflects the reasons for why people follow his path of Sith realism.

I suppose the only point of contention i would have is in the calling of it as Sith Realism. I would sonner consider his realism a part of the Grey Jedi doctrine since it did not hold to the same degrees of implied suffering and sacrifice that most sith teachings do.

I'd say it is a tweaked Revanite version of Sith realism and should be considered sith for simplicity's sake, but overall i'd have to say that even within his own cult his teachings remained rather Grey.

Kreia, Jolee Bindo, and similar Jedi seem to walk Revan's path to a lesser extreme and with different goals. While sith lords and Jedi seem to take altogether different paths from the Greys altogether. This is only an observation though and i'd like to be corrected.

you're missing the point; the teachings of Revan, in their entirety, are beyond Jedi and Sith, even Grey Jedi; they are their own completely independent Path. still, they belong a something part of both Sith Realism and Jediism. there was a Revanite Jedi in here earlier.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
I would like to disbar your original argument on Revan's philosophy and propose that Revan was a Grey Jedi, only marked as a sith for his actions against the Jedi rather than his actual Philosophy.

If you want to know more on Grey Jedi you should explore the methods Kreia and Jolee Bindo used in their adventures as force users.

The reason i must make this differentiation is that as a follower of some of revan's precepts i find it disingenuous to attribute the whole of his philosophy to any one of the two factions.

well, thing is, he was at one point a Sith. and not just any Sith, but a Dark Lord of the Sith. also, the fictional Order of Revan, a.k.a. the Revanite religious cult, was founded by Sith who worshipped Darth Revan. and finally, Revanite Realism is considered a branch of Sith Realism.

it's not to say that you are incorrect -- just that that is why I listed it as I did. yes, Revan was a Grey Jedi. but he also was Sith at one point. and furthermore, in the end, Revan was neither Jedi nor Sith, but something greater than both.

Can i understand then that you're sampling from the revanite cult and their teachings more than the path of Revan himself? This is perfectly fine, by the way, as it actually reflects the reasons for why people follow his path of Sith realism.

I suppose the only point of contention i would have is in the calling of it as Sith Realism. I would sonner consider his realism a part of the Grey Jedi doctrine since it did not hold to the same degrees of implied suffering and sacrifice that most sith teachings do.

I'd say it is a tweaked Revanite version of Sith realism and should be considered sith for simplicity's sake, but overall i'd have to say that even within his own cult his teachings remained rather Grey.

Kreia, Jolee Bindo, and similar Jedi seem to walk Revan's path to a lesser extreme and with different goals. While sith lords and Jedi seem to take altogether different paths from the Greys altogether. This is only an observation though and i'd like to be corrected.

you're missing the point; the teachings of Revan, in their entirety, are beyond Jedi and Sith, even Grey Jedi; they are their own completely independent Path. still, they belong a something part of both Sith Realism and Jediism. there was a Revanite Jedi in here earlier.

I'll have to take comfort in our basic disagreements then.

Whereas you hold that Revan's teachings made him apart from jedi and sith but still attributable to both...

I find his path to be attributable to both but within the realm of Grey Jedi teachings. I'll have to research more on the revanite cult in order to really get a sense of the way these teachings deviate from that premise.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose

Whereas you hold that Revan's teachings made him apart from jedi and sith but still attributable to both...

I find his path to be attributable to both but within the realm of Grey Jedi teachings. I'll have to research more on the revanite cult in order to really get a sense of the way these teachings deviate from that premise.

the pursuit of knowledge is always noble. and I respect your view, truely. if you find any strong evidence to show me that you were right over me, don't hesitate to show me.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose

the pursuit of knowledge is always noble. and I respect your view, truely. if you find any strong evidence to show me that you were right over me, don't hesitate to show me.

"Inaction breeds death"
-Apparition of Kreia, The Shryrack Cave

Out of fear of one of the most deadly Grey force users in the universe, i doubt i'll do otherwise.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose

"Inaction breeds death"

Out of fear of one of the most deadly Grey force users in the universe, i doubt i'll do otherwise.

Oh. See, I was going to quote "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

Um... what are you guys talking about? I thought this was about Realism. emotion_8c

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose
Chieftain Twilight
stealthmongoose

"Inaction breeds death"

Oh. See, I was going to quote "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge."

Um... what are you guys talking about? I thought this was about Realism. emotion_8c

well, yes, it is... but it's about applying philosophies from the fiction to real life.

Interesting Seeker

Chieftain Twilight
how many of you out here would identify with Sith Realism? what about those of you who don't associate as Sith but still feel that the Sith Code is correct or speaks to your ethical sensibilities?

for those of you who don't know, the code is as follows:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power I gain victory.
Through Victory my bonds are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

Sith Realism is a path of self-empowerment and philosophical ethics. it tends to attract people of other paths or faiths as well, such as Satanists, Chaos Magi, Anarchists, Darwinists, and sadly also fascists and communists (the bad kind).

there are also other branches of Sith Realism. one of them is Rule of Two Sithism, which takes it's philosophies from the fictional character Darth Bane. they believe in dictatorships of the strong, with one leader representing the one who has power, and that leader's heir representing the one who covets power. this is designed to ensure that the fittest rules.

another branch is One Sith Realists, who follow the philosphies of the fictional character, Darth Krayt. they believe that Sithism is the best path for everyone, and that it should be the state religion of a nation.

there is also Revanite Sith Realism, which is the belief in the teachings of Revan/Darth Revan; that The Force is greater than Dark Side and Light Side, and always seeks balance. in many ways, it is a combination of Taoism and Egoism, with the Sith Code applied to it (and sometimes also Chaos Magic philosophy).

I myself am a Revanite Sith Realist. anyone else want to represent?

Yeah, and just like in Star Wars to quote Shaak Ti

"The Sith always betray one another."

The same goes for these people in real life.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
JediDillon
Chieftain Twilight
how many of you out here would identify with Sith Realism? what about those of you who don't associate as Sith but still feel that the Sith Code is correct or speaks to your ethical sensibilities?

for those of you who don't know, the code is as follows:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power I gain victory.
Through Victory my bonds are broken.
The Force shall set me free.

Sith Realism is a path of self-empowerment and philosophical ethics. it tends to attract people of other paths or faiths as well, such as Satanists, Chaos Magi, Anarchists, Darwinists, and sadly also fascists and communists (the bad kind).

there are also other branches of Sith Realism. one of them is Rule of Two Sithism, which takes it's philosophies from the fictional character Darth Bane. they believe in dictatorships of the strong, with one leader representing the one who has power, and that leader's heir representing the one who covets power. this is designed to ensure that the fittest rules.

another branch is One Sith Realists, who follow the philosphies of the fictional character, Darth Krayt. they believe that Sithism is the best path for everyone, and that it should be the state religion of a nation.

there is also Revanite Sith Realism, which is the belief in the teachings of Revan/Darth Revan; that The Force is greater than Dark Side and Light Side, and always seeks balance. in many ways, it is a combination of Taoism and Egoism, with the Sith Code applied to it (and sometimes also Chaos Magic philosophy).

I myself am a Revanite Sith Realist. anyone else want to represent?

stare

no, the same is NOT true in real life. we don't all betray eachother by virtue of finding wisdom in the Sith Code. where in HELL would you get that idea?

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I identify myself as a Jedi, though my beliefs are much more accurately held by the Gray Jedi. Considering the Gray Jedi have been mentioned already, here is their code.

"There is no Dark Side, nor a light side, there is only the Force. I will do what I must to keep the balance as the balance is what keeps me together. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; Serenity, yet emotion; Chaos, yet order. I am the wielder of the flame, the protector of balance. I am the holder of the Torch, lighting the way. I am the keeper of the flame, soldier of balance. I am a Guardian of the Balance. I am a Gray Jedi."

I can not see the Jedi Code as an absolute so instead recite a remodeled version that reflects the code of the Gray Jedi more accurately. I'll post my version of that as well just to be thorough.

"There is Emotion, but there is Peace.
There is Ignorance, but there is Knowledge.
There is Foolishness, but there is Wisdom
There is Passion, but there is Serenity.
There is Chaos, but there is Harmony.
There is Fear, but there is Courage.
There is no Death; There is the Force."

The reason the last line was not modified is that when someone dies they live on in the Force. If I had a little more time than to write a few lines and copy and paste my codes from my journal I would explain how this can be scientifically supported too.

My mentor also modified the Jedi Code. Here is his version.

"There is Emotion, but I focus on Peace
There is Ignorance, but I choose to gain Knowledge
There is foolishness, but I choose to exercise Wisdom
There is Chaos, but I prefer Harmony
There is Fear, but I embody courageousness"

I have been studying Revan's story and find it all fascinating. I would say he was more than a Jedi or a Sith and although his methods seem most reflected by the Gray Jedi, there is still something different there. I'm studying more to try to find out what exactly it is that sets him apart.

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
JediDillon

I think there is more to research on the Sith realists before making such an accusation. Just as Jedi realists are not exactly the same as their media counterparts, neither are the Sith accurately portrayed by media alone. Our paths are inspired by the media. Our morals and methods are decided upon by ourselves. A traitorous Jedi may be just as common as a loyal Jedi and likewise a traitorous Sith just as common as a loyal Sith.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson
I identify myself as a Jedi, though my beliefs are much more accurately held by the Gray Jedi. Considering the Gray Jedi have been mentioned already, here is their code.

"There is no Dark Side, nor a light side, there is only the Force. I will do what I must to keep the balance as the balance is what keeps me together. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace; Serenity, yet emotion; Chaos, yet order. I am the wielder of the flame, the protector of balance. I am the holder of the Torch, lighting the way. I am the keeper of the flame, soldier of balance. I am a Guardian of the Balance. I am a Gray Jedi."

I can not see the Jedi Code as an absolute so instead recite a remodeled version that reflects the code of the Gray Jedi more accurately. I'll post my version of that as well just to be thorough.

The reason the last line was not modified is that when someone dies they live on in the Force. If I had a little more time than to write a few lines and copy and paste my codes from my journal I would explain how this can be scientifically supported too.

I have been studying Revan's story and find it all fascinating. I would say he was more than a Jedi or a Sith and although his methods seem most reflected by the Gray Jedi, there is still something different there. I'm studying more to try to find out what exactly it is that sets him apart.

I have to admit, while that first rewritten version of the code bothered me, the modification that your mentor made (with it's clarifications) actually strikes me with curiosity and I have to say that I like it.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Chieftain Twilight
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson

I have to admit, while that first rewritten version of the code bothered me, the modification that your mentor made (with it's clarifications) actually strikes me with curiosity and I have to say that I like it.

I think he missed a couple though. Which would probably go something along the lines of
"There is Passion, but I maintain inner Serenity"
and
"There is Death, but the Force lives on."

...Or something like that...

I always took most of that to be the way the original code meant it anyway. If I'm not mistaken... hang on, looking it up... Wookieepedia mentions that the original mantra went:

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson

I think he missed a couple though. Which would probably go something along the lines of
and

I always took most of that to be the way the original code meant it anyway. If I'm not mistaken... hang on, looking it up... Wookieepedia mentions that the original mantra went:

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

I always found that the Jedi claim "there is no ignorance, there is knowledge" was a perfect example of their self-righteousness and hypocrisy. but I didn't so much like the Grey Jedi code either, because it seemed to be just a collection of opposites, and I found that including ignorance especially pointed out that they were indeed ignorant.

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson

and

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

My mentor's version excludes what he believes is already covered. He considers passion and serenity to be parts of emotion and peace. Death he didn't bother altering from my version since he agreed with it. Yes, death is a very real thing, but it is not the end. That is the point.

Romantic Phantom

9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson

and

Emotion, yet peace.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

I always found that the Jedi claim "there is no ignorance, there is knowledge" was a perfect example of their self-righteousness and hypocrisy. but I didn't so much like the Grey Jedi code either, because it seemed to be just a collection of opposites, and I found that including ignorance especially pointed out that they were indeed ignorant.

I explained when I first joined a Jedi temple online how the code is not an absolute. It can't be because it disclaims what obviously exists, much as the Sith code tries to in fact. Both are meant to be mind over matter. Tuning the self to be something more and set the goal of improvement. There is and always will be ignorance, but that doesn't mean we can't strive for knowledge. "There is no ignorance, there is knowledge" is an attempt to set the goal of focusing on constant learning. In reality everyone will always hold some level of ignorance since ignorance is merely a lack of education and it is possible to be uneducated in specific fields. For example, I may always be ignorant of the theories of time travel, but that doesn't mean I won't get a master's degree or phd someday.

Thinking about it logically from a point of view that favors no side in particular, each side is entirely open to interpretation. If you interpret it "wrong" then of course it won't make sense and will be declared wrong. If you interpret it "right" then, naturally, right it will be.

Here is my interpretation of the Sith Code and why I disagree with it.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion."
I interpret "peace" as referring to inner peace, just as I do for the Jedi Code. By that interpretation this line is wrong and just about any Buddhist, Taoist, or other Spiritualist would likely agree.

"Through passion I gain strength."
If we interpret "passion" as a strong emotion then no, not necessarily. Strong emotions can lead to mistakes, lack of focus, and thus weakness if not properly controlled.

"Through strength I gain power."
In this line it depends on how we define "power." Due to the word "strength" being used here I interpret this as meaning controlling others. "Power" referring to physical prowess would be redundant. In which case no, in the modern day intelligence is more highly valued and strength can be overthrown with firepower (if referring to physical) or witty remarks from intelligent people (if referring to non-physical).

"Through power I gain victory."
I have to wonder what kind of victory this refers to, I'm honestly not sure how to interpret this line. Enough power of any kind can ensure victory, so this may be the only line I agree with.

"Through Victory my bonds are broken."
Again this depends on the interpretation of victory, however I don't believe victory is the only way to break bonds. Since this depends on the interpretation of victory the interpretation of bonds is also up in the air.

"The Force shall set me free."
Ok, so I agree with two lines and depending on the interpretation of the previous line possibly three.

[Edit: lengthened to provide details on why I referred to the Sith Code as I did, I was referring to the first line.]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff