Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Mage

Chieftain Twilight
the concept fewer people tend to discuss is the difference between Lawful and Chaotic on teh Alignment Scale (a system not even present in Star Wars). Lawful Alignments tend to view morality as dependent on imposed Order and Structure. rigid rules prevent disaster and thereby bring prosperity to all (or leastways to a majority), making it righteous. you could be Lawful Good or Lawful Evil and still have the same basic idea of what's right.

however, a Chaotic Alignment is one who values freedom and dynamic energies. they understand that the Universe is kept in balance by way of change, destruction, death, violence, passion and conflict. they know that the Natural Order is Chaos itself. Trickster Gods, such as Loki or Coyote or even Eris -- there many others of course -- are often viewed as unrecognized heroes by Chaotic Alignments. Discord from MLP:FiM is one good example. without the antics of the Trickster Gods (the disasters of the world) the goodness not only has no meaning but also cannot become better.

in fact, the HIndu Religion worships Shiva, Lord of Destruction, as one of the highest Gods because of this very concept of Chaos being the Natural Order. it keeps the natural cycles going.

Order without Chaos is stagnant, and therefore cannot exist let alone thrive.
Now that is a very interesting view to bring up as it adds another layer of depth to the discussion. Also huge nerd so I'm personally intrigued with the idea of 'alignments'.

What alignment would you personally identify with, [if you had one] and why? I'd be interested hear anyone's input. whee

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight
the concept fewer people tend to discuss is the difference between Lawful and Chaotic on teh Alignment Scale (a system not even present in Star Wars). Lawful Alignments tend to view morality as dependent on imposed Order and Structure. rigid rules prevent disaster and thereby bring prosperity to all (or leastways to a majority), making it righteous. you could be Lawful Good or Lawful Evil and still have the same basic idea of what's right.

however, a Chaotic Alignment is one who values freedom and dynamic energies. they understand that the Universe is kept in balance by way of change, destruction, death, violence, passion and conflict. they know that the Natural Order is Chaos itself. Trickster Gods, such as Loki or Coyote or even Eris -- there many others of course -- are often viewed as unrecognized heroes by Chaotic Alignments. Discord from MLP:FiM is one good example. without the antics of the Trickster Gods (the disasters of the world) the goodness not only has no meaning but also cannot become better.

in fact, the HIndu Religion worships Shiva, Lord of Destruction, as one of the highest Gods because of this very concept of Chaos being the Natural Order. it keeps the natural cycles going.

Now that is a very interesting view to bring up as it adds another layer of depth to the discussion. Also huge nerd so I'm personally intrigued with the idea of 'alignments'.

What alignment would you personally identify with, [if you had one] and why? I'd be interested hear anyone's input. whee

a girl after my own heart. heart

anywho, I also want to know everyone's answer to this. myself, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I value Freedom above all else, personal freedom especially. I believe in doing what I please, which I admit makes me a bit of a brat.

I hold no particular cares for righteousness, malice or benevolence, and I am capable of great cruelty and sadism when the mood strikes me. however, I do admit that I feel very me-like when I help out others or take care of them. still, the same is true of wanton destruction and violence; I am a very violent person by nature.

I am a hedonist, and a glutton. I embody many of the cardinal Sins, excluding only Envy and Sloth (both of which I deem severe weaknesses, and Sloth the worste crime of all).

yourself?

Dapper Mage

Chieftain Twilight
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

anywho, I also want to know everyone's answer to this. myself, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I value Freedom above all else, personal freedom especially. I believe in doing what I please, which I admit makes me a bit of a brat.

I hold no particular cares for righteousness, malice or benevolence, and I am capable of great cruelty and sadism when the mood strikes me. however, I do admit that I feel very me-like when I help out others or take care of them. still, the same is true of wanton destruction and violence; I am a very violent person by nature.

I am a hedonist, and a glutton. I embody many of the cardinal Sins, excluding only Envy and Sloth (both of which I deem severe weaknesses, and Sloth the worste crime of all).

yourself?
I'm Chaotic Good - I act on my own desires and no one else's, I tend to be selfish and a touch greedy, but I have a generally benevolent, cheerful 'live and let live' attitude because I want the same freedom in return. I'm quite sensitive and tender-hearted to those who've earned my trust and gotten under my skin, and I tend to be optimistic, but I'm extremely reserved. I want to know who's worth talking to and who isn't before I waste my time.

I have absolutely NO regard for authority, control or dominance but I'll manipulate someone in power over me if I must. Whether that means playing a bit dumb or deluding them by other means. Sometimes I enjoy being an a*****e just for the sake of provoking people, and my dry humor can be off putting, but those who know me and have my respect take it with a grain of salt.

And may God help you if you incur my judgement. I hold onto a grudge like nobody's business, and will tear apart the world to hunt you down if need be - even if I have to bide my time and hatred and wear a mask to do it. My wrath is exceedingly disproportionate in many cases, so I suppose that would be my cardinal sin. My sister jokingly says she'd rather negotiate with a terrorist than me - but I don't think I'm that bad. xd

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

yourself?
I'm Chaotic Good - I act on my own desires and no one else's, I tend to be selfish and a touch greedy, but I have a generally benevolent, cheerful 'live and let live' attitude because I want the same freedom in return. I'm quite sensitive and tender-hearted to those who've earned my trust and gotten under my skin, and I tend to be optimistic, but I'm extremely reserved. I want to know who's worth talking to and who isn't before I waste my time.

I have absolutely NO regard for authority, control or dominance but I'll manipulate someone in power over me if I must. Whether that means playing a bit dumb or deluding them by other means. Sometimes I enjoy being an a*****e just for the sake of provoking people, and my dry humor can be off putting, but those who know me and have my respect take it with a grain of salt.

And may God help you if you incur my judgement. I hold onto a grudge like nobody's business, and will tear apart the world to hunt you down if need be - even if I have to bide my time and hatred and wear a mask to do it. My wrath is exceedingly disproportionate in many cases, so I suppose that would be my cardinal sin. My sister jokingly says she'd rather negotiate with a terrorist than me - but I don't think I'm that bad. xd

to be fair, I'd be considered a terrorist according to our government. xd

anywho, I will gladly link you to a website on Alignments that I think you'll be interested in. smile one sec.

here we are!

Dapper Mage

Chieftain Twilight
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

yourself?

to be fair, I'd be considered a terrorist according to our government. xd

anywho, I will gladly link you to a website on Alignments that I think you'll be interested in. smile one sec.

here we are!
Lovely, thanks!

Shameless Mystic

Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Did you ever play The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion? I think you would appreciate that. Moreso than any other game I've played, that is the most accurate description of a Law vs. Chaos alignment conflict that has nothing to do with good or evil.

Also, if you're interested in alignments, I'd recommend looking into the axis between Fettered and Unfettered; It's the most esoteric of the axis, but makes for all kinds of weird methodologies.

Unfettered people are... terrifying?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Neutral Good. Some tests I've done have aligned me as True Neutral, but I tend to prefer to see myself as the type who at least has some moral groundings. Even if I'm not sure what they all are.

I follow the law where it makes sense, at least. I mean, I'm not gonna kill anybody, or rape anybody, or do any drugs. Hell, I don't even like alcohol, and caffeine is ineffective. I'm only addicted to sugar. And love.

But some laws just seem like bullshit to protect the interests of selfish assholes.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Neutral Good. Some tests I've done have aligned me as True Neutral, but I tend to prefer to see myself as the type who at least has some moral groundings. Even if I'm not sure what they all are.

I follow the law where it makes sense, at least. I mean, I'm not gonna kill anybody, or rape anybody, or do any drugs. Hell, I don't even like alcohol, and caffeine is ineffective. I'm only addicted to sugar. And love.

But some laws just seem like bullshit to protect the interests of selfish assholes.

my girlfriend is also Neutral Good. xd I consider people of good alignment to be both delusional and suffering from a disorder called "altruism."

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
False Dichotomy
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Did you ever play The Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion? I think you would appreciate that. Moreso than any other game I've played, that is the most accurate description of a Law vs. Chaos alignment conflict that has nothing to do with good or evil.

Also, if you're interested in alignments, I'd recommend looking into the axis between Fettered and Unfettered; It's the most esoteric of the axis, but makes for all kinds of weird methodologies.

I'd like to see this Fettered vs Unfettered axis... can you show us?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

my girlfriend is also Neutral Good. xd I consider people of good alignment to be both delusional and suffering from a disorder called "altruism."

I'm pretty sure common decency is not a disorder. xp

Shameless Mystic

Chieftain Twilight
False Dichotomy
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Fettered and Unfettered.

TVTropes is always a good start.
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight

Neutral Good is extreme decency.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

no, it isn't. but it's also not "morally right". nothing is. I think it's simply practical.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
False Dichotomy
Chieftain Twilight
False Dichotomy
Ziroonderel
Chieftain Twilight

Fettered and Unfettered.

TVTropes is always a good start.

usefulness, many thankyous!

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Ziroonderel

no, it isn't. but it's also not "morally right". nothing is. I think it's simply practical.

Well, it's natural, too. We evolved as social beings, and so our genes make it so that we sort of lean towards "not ******** s**t up in the group."

Lucky~9~Lives
Xiam
Chieftain Twilight

Neutral Good is extreme decency.

How do you figure?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out