Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Being a LaVeyan Satanist, of course I identify highly with the Sith Code. Just look at how the Sith Code echoes some of the points of the Nine Satanic Statements:

Quote:
The Nine Satanic Statements

Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.
Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.
Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all.
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years.

My character's alignment in the 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' game is Revanite Sith. I employ a Machiavellian balance of harshness and kindness that brings me respect from both Sith and Jedi alike. It represents me pretty well, I'd say.

you are right, the Nine Satanic Statements do mirror the Sith Code pretty neatly. the only exceptions are the ones where LeVayan Satanism is being clearly defined as atheist. it's the only reason I'd be more closely associated with Sith than LeVayan Satanism.

also, Sith isn't an Alignment, nor is Revanite. Dark Side and Light Side are. you are on the Sith EMpire Faction, with a healthy balance of Light and Dark Side Alignment which falls in line with the Revanite Codes and have likely the Revanite Title. just to be clear.

True, I myself am more agnostic than atheist to tell the truth. I don't believe in gods, no, but I do believe we have forces at work in the universe and within us, much like the light side and the dark side of the Force. They are non-personified entities, raw energies which contradict each other, but at the same time need each other to survive. The reason I identify with LaVeyan Satanism is because...well, let's face it: people aren't going to take me seriously if I tell them my religion is from Star Wars. I can agree with the Sith belief, but to list it as my official belief system seems as if it would get me laughed right out of most situations.

And yes, that is what I meant. Though, I find it funny, I have more actions stacked on the light side than the dark side. Perhaps it's because the dark side's actions are so extreme, and I'm completely given to subtlety, level-headedness, and gaining allies wherever I can make them.

And yes, the Revanite title is one I'm quite pleased to say I hold. It's a favorite of mine.

what I have noticed in there alignment tracking system is that they have a few... quirks that have been shown to have logical flaws as far as moral/ethical philsophies go. there is this overarching sense that Light-Side/Dark-Side actions are relative to the individual, and that actions trump intentions.... I disagree with both premises.

however, I would say you shouldn't let the public credibility of your beliefs play any part in it; your beliefs are your own, and they are nobody else's business.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
CalledTheRaven
So are there any other books or websites folks would recommend for more information on any of the force paths as actual spirituality?

Lord Kilo Von Mortenson
I recommend the Temple of the Jedi Force for a Jedi path.

Oh, there are tons. Temple of the Jedi Order, Temple of the Jedi Force, Force Academy... uh... ah crud, I'm missing another big one. Knights of... someting... CRUD! I never visited, but I feel like a jerk for not knowing. They try to distance a bit from the word "Jedi" due to outsiders' assumptions that we're just geeky roleplayers.

Chieftain Twilight
CalledTheRaven
As a question for such thoughtful types, do any of you have opinions on either of these books?

The Jedi Path
The Book of Sith

I know a young man who it genuinely looking into both paths and was wondering if these seems like reasonable starting places?

excellent question to ask! personally, the only one I have even looked into was The Book of Sith, but I highly enjoyed what I read and recommend it. it has not only relevant information for studying the path, but also great insights into the minds of the characters who "wrote" in it (fictionally, of course).

It's about the same for The Jedi Path, too. I especially like the commentary written in the margins by Jedi, as if the book was a hand-me-down from Yoda to Dooku to Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan to Anakin to Asohka, then confiscated by Sidious, then evenoutally found again by Luke.

Resonare Praeteriti
True, I myself am more agnostic than atheist to tell the truth. I don't believe in gods, no, but I do believe we have forces at work in the universe and within us, much like the light side and the dark side of the Force. They are non-personified entities, raw energies which contradict each other, but at the same time need each other to survive. The reason I identify with LaVeyan Satanism is because...well, let's face it: people aren't going to take me seriously if I tell them my religion is from Star Wars. I can agree with the Sith belief, but to list it as my official belief system seems as if it would get me laughed right out of most situations.

That's pretty much how I settled... sort of. I mean, basically I wasn't happy with the way people depict "God" (anthropomorphic entity basically placed as King of the Cosmos? Oh hell no), but I could fully understand the way Yoda talked about the Force in The Empire Strikes Back.

Depending on the people I'm around at any given time, though, I might just say "pantheist." The Force is a sort of animist... pantheism... thing. And it might get people more curious about what I mean than if I say "Jedi" and they go "Oh, okay," but internally they're thinking, "...weirdo."

Rosemary_Red
At first, I thought this was a topic about the Sikhism before re-reading and looking into your post with my full attention. sweatdrop

I must admit that I'm a bit intrigued that something pop culture like Star Wars could have this kind of effect on people. Personally, as an Atheist living in the southern united states, I think that it can be hard to express your beliefs to people that can understand, especially if they are radically different. Anyway, I respect your opinion of faith and I hope that it will lead you to good fortune and happiness. smile

Well, there are a lot of parallels between the Jedi and Sikhs.

...Just saying...

Atheist in the South? I am so, so sorry. I know the feeling, it's hard to manage around here without being invited to someone's church, or go through someone's attempt at conversion.

invitations to religious institutions are common everywhere. I live in the south too, and I'm just fine not being part of any organized religion (particularly christianity).

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Xiam
Resonare Praeteriti
In my understanding, it's more how the mythological figure of Satan represents the ideology. He's seen as a Prometheus-like role model, and though he does not exist, we ultimately become similar to him through holding the same ideals. Thus the ideology is called Satanism, because each of it's followers is like Satan: an outcast of convention, completely in touch with themselves and how they operate, striving for success and knowledge, and unhindered by stigmas and taboos. It's a very clever name in theory, but I have to agree with you...it really does cause so many misunderstandings once it's put to practice. emotion_facepalm

Yeah... that's what I've heard too. And it seems like they're explicitly seeking disapproval from others. It's weird, really.

Resonare Praeteriti
Indeed, it's a shame that people who actually agree with ideas put forth in something like Star Wars get so much criticism for it. Especially with such good ideas, at that.

Oh, totally. Basically the Force is a distillation of the essence of spirituality. It's purposefully vague to be able to assign the viewer's own faith to it. I have seen so many essays on how the Jedi are analogous to such-and-such a religion. It's always funny to me because it's every religion.

I like to think of it more like The Force isn't a religion at all -- Force-Traditions are; The Force is the Source of those religions, of ALL religions.

Enduring Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Being a LaVeyan Satanist, of course I identify highly with the Sith Code. Just look at how the Sith Code echoes some of the points of the Nine Satanic Statements:

Quote:

Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.
Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all.
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years.

My character's alignment in the 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' game is Revanite Sith. I employ a Machiavellian balance of harshness and kindness that brings me respect from both Sith and Jedi alike. It represents me pretty well, I'd say.

you are right, the Nine Satanic Statements do mirror the Sith Code pretty neatly. the only exceptions are the ones where LeVayan Satanism is being clearly defined as atheist. it's the only reason I'd be more closely associated with Sith than LeVayan Satanism.

also, Sith isn't an Alignment, nor is Revanite. Dark Side and Light Side are. you are on the Sith EMpire Faction, with a healthy balance of Light and Dark Side Alignment which falls in line with the Revanite Codes and have likely the Revanite Title. just to be clear.

And yes, that is what I meant. Though, I find it funny, I have more actions stacked on the light side than the dark side. Perhaps it's because the dark side's actions are so extreme, and I'm completely given to subtlety, level-headedness, and gaining allies wherever I can make them.

And yes, the Revanite title is one I'm quite pleased to say I hold. It's a favorite of mine.

what I have noticed in there alignment tracking system is that they have a few... quirks that have been shown to have logical flaws as far as moral/ethical philsophies go. there is this overarching sense that Light-Side/Dark-Side actions are relative to the individual, and that actions trump intentions.... I disagree with both premises.

however, I would say you shouldn't let the public credibility of your beliefs play any part in it; your beliefs are your own, and they are nobody else's business.

That's true; I've glanced at the alignments on the options for Jedi when my brothers were playing, and I swear I would be the most dark side aligned Jedi out there. I have to agree with you though, both things are silly. Light and dark don't change based on who you are, they just are. Intentions are also a big part whenever anything moral-related comes into question.

True, true. It all works out perfectly, though. After all, when it comes to lies, Sith don't give a s**t. We do what we want. xd

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti

Quote:

That's true; I've glanced at the alignments on the options for Jedi when my brothers were playing, and I swear I would be the most dark side aligned Jedi out there. I have to agree with you though, both things are silly. Light and dark don't change based on who you are, they just are. Intentions are also a big part whenever anything moral-related comes into question.

True, true. It all works out perfectly, though. After all, when it comes to lies, Sith don't give a s**t. We do what we want. xd

exactly. xd

and, personally, I'm an Emotivist; I believe that Moral Statements are merely statements of emotion. saying "hitting girls is wrong" is the same as saying "I don't like hitting girls, or when people hit girls." for example.

Enduring Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

and, personally, I'm an Emotivist; I believe that Moral Statements are merely statements of emotion. saying "hitting girls is wrong" is the same as saying "I don't like hitting girls, or when people hit girls." for example.

Do I detect a fellow believer in the Assassin's Creed (nothing is true, everything permitted)? It can be applied to many things, but as far as morals go, that's how it works when the creed is applied: It isn't objective truth that hitting girls is wrong, rather society finds the idea that hitting girls is wrong acceptable and thus permits it's existence and spread.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

Do I detect a fellow believer in the Assassin's Creed (nothing is true, everything permitted)? It can be applied to many things, but as far as morals go, that's how it works when the creed is applied: It isn't objective truth that hitting girls is wrong, rather society finds the idea that hitting girls is wrong acceptable and thus permits it's existence and spread.

a lesson that Altair had to relearn the hard way. yes. I am. ^_^

Enduring Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

emotion_brofist

Indeed he did, and I enjoyed every minute of helping him relearn it.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Resonare Praeteriti
In my understanding, it's more how the mythological figure of Satan represents the ideology. He's seen as a Prometheus-like role model, and though he does not exist, we ultimately become similar to him through holding the same ideals. Thus the ideology is called Satanism, because each of it's followers is like Satan: an outcast of convention, completely in touch with themselves and how they operate, striving for success and knowledge, and unhindered by stigmas and taboos. It's a very clever name in theory, but I have to agree with you...it really does cause so many misunderstandings once it's put to practice. emotion_facepalm

Yeah... that's what I've heard too. And it seems like they're explicitly seeking disapproval from others. It's weird, really.

Resonare Praeteriti
Indeed, it's a shame that people who actually agree with ideas put forth in something like Star Wars get so much criticism for it. Especially with such good ideas, at that.

Oh, totally. Basically the Force is a distillation of the essence of spirituality. It's purposefully vague to be able to assign the viewer's own faith to it. I have seen so many essays on how the Jedi are analogous to such-and-such a religion. It's always funny to me because it's every religion.

I like to think of it more like The Force isn't a religion at all -- Force-Traditions are; The Force is the Source of those religions, of ALL religions.

Well, yes... though saying "The Force isn't a religion" is like saying "God isn't a religion." So you're right, but it's an inaccurate assessment anyway. razz

But yes, Force traditions are religions - like Jedi, or Sith, or the Bendu monks, or the Witches of Dathomir, or uh... let's use something in the real world... the Ashla Knights, maybe?

(Which is what I was thinking of, I think in this thread, for the different Force websites... just remembered it.)

Resonare Praeteriti
Exactly. It's meant to be relatable for anyone so that the audience can feel engaged, so that they can relate to the characters involved. Though I do notice that the Jedi seem to have strong Buddhist influence, and the Sith strong LaVeyan Satanist influence. I theorize that's because those were likely the two religions that inspired the different followings.

I'm still hesitant to say "influence," at least in regards to Satanism. I hadn't read much about whether George Lucas was actually influenced in Satanists to create the Sith. More of just a simple "Good vs. Evil" thing for him. I do know the Jedi were influenced by Buddhism, but I think the link between Sith philosophy and Satanism was coincidental.

Enduring Phantom

Xiam
Chieftain Twilight
Xiam
Resonare Praeteriti

Resonare Praeteriti

Well, yes... though saying "The Force isn't a religion" is like saying "God isn't a religion." So you're right, but it's an inaccurate assessment anyway. razz

But yes, Force traditions are religions - like Jedi, or Sith, or the Bendu monks, or the Witches of Dathomir, or uh... let's use something in the real world... the Ashla Knights, maybe?

(Which is what I was thinking of, I think in this thread, for the different Force websites... just remembered it.)

Resonare Praeteriti
Exactly. It's meant to be relatable for anyone so that the audience can feel engaged, so that they can relate to the characters involved. Though I do notice that the Jedi seem to have strong Buddhist influence, and the Sith strong LaVeyan Satanist influence. I theorize that's because those were likely the two religions that inspired the different followings.

I'm still hesitant to say "influence," at least in regards to Satanism. I hadn't read much about whether George Lucas was actually influenced in Satanists to create the Sith. More of just a simple "Good vs. Evil" thing for him. I do know the Jedi were influenced by Buddhism, but I think the link between Sith philosophy and Satanism was coincidental.

True, the similarity could just be coincidence, as Satanism is kind of like inverse Buddhism. Though, I believe LaVey had a climactic start to his religion not more than a decade before Star Wars' debut, so that's why I say I suspect an influence, if even just a minor one.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

emotion_brofist

such a fun game.

Enduring Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

emotion_brofist

such a fun game.

One that I need to go play asap considering I just finished watching The Ring. burning_eyes

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

exactly. xd

emotion_brofist

such a fun game.

One that I need to go play asap considering I just finished watching The Ring. burning_eyes

fully understood. go kill law enforcement scum until the horrific images leave your mind.

though, while we're on that subject, I must complain again about how the designers got lazy with the design for the outfit in Assassin's Creed 3.... seriously, they could make the Brotherhood Robes look more fitting for ALL the other timelines (even a hoodie for Desmond) but they had to make them stand out like a sore thumb in the Civil War? what the ********!? it isn't hard to adapt them!

Enduring Phantom

Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

emotion_brofist

such a fun game.

fully understood. go kill law enforcement scum until the horrific images leave your mind.

though, while we're on that subject, I must complain again about how the designers got lazy with the design for the outfit in Assassin's Creed 3.... seriously, they could make the Brotherhood Robes look more fitting for ALL the other timelines (even a hoodie for Desmond) but they had to make them stand out like a sore thumb in the Civil War? what the ********!? it isn't hard to adapt them!

I just found out I can't; people are sleeping downstairs. ******** my life. Anyways, did you watch that movie? gonk

I've gotta agree, though in their defense it is kind of hard to do, seeing as hats were all the rage and hoods were scarce in that era. The hood is an iconic part of the outfit that you can't just leave out.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight
Resonare Praeteriti
Chieftain Twilight

emotion_brofist

such a fun game.

I just found out I can't; people are sleeping downstairs. ******** my life. Anyways, did you watch that movie? gonk

I've gotta agree, though in their defense it is kind of hard to do, seeing as hats were all the rage and hoods were scarce in that era. The hood is an iconic part of the outfit that you can't just leave out.

pfft! I watched The Fair Haired Child! and then I used it for inspiration in my D&D game. cool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff