9,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Xiam
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson
Xiam
Lord Kilo Von Mortenson
I've been playing with a game where you pick one of four chests. There is a brown one, bronze one, silver one, and gold one. You won't know which one is picked until after you've chosen one, they each appear black with a question mark. At first when I try to think about it my odds really do seem to be 1/4 to get the gold chest, however if I relax my mind and don't stress the thought of picking the "right one" I tend to get whichever I need most. Sometimes silver is actually better than gold. Unfortunately it is hard to say whether this is the Force at work or merely luck. Personally, I don't believe in luck, but in a game of chance you have to wonder whether it is mere chance or something more. My odds for getting the chest I need when I allow my mind to relax seems more like 3/4 for just the right one and really only the gold and silver ones are any good.

Well, there you go then! Though I suppose you have to also take into consideration the actual odds programmed into the game... whether they're decided ahead of time what's in which box, or whether it's randomized when you actually make the click.

That's the biggest issue I've had. I don't know for sure whether or not it matters where I click. It might be programmed to give me certain things at certain times and just have the illusion of luck being a factor. If so, at times I think that game hates me.

Maybe see if you can gear it to getting the "bad" results? emotion_awesome

That's what I've done with some micro-PK training. Um... there was this site that had some kind of randomizer to pick one of two pictures, and you could select the one you wanted so it could keep track of the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong. And in order to ensure it wasn't making me think I was good, and actually doing something, I'd sometimes select the one I didn't want as if it was the one I did want. mrgreen

That is a good idea. Unfortunately I desire the good stuff too much to choose the cheap useless stuff. I do notice when I get one of the ones I didn't want I actually first thought to pick one of the ones that end up being gold or silver, I just didn't act on the first thought and so got it wrong. I think a better method might be to use cards. To keep it small I can pick two or three numbers to work with or try to focus on getting a certain mark. Something like that.

Another theory (or hypothesis) about the chests is that there is actually some kind of pattern to it that I might be picking up on subconsciously and that's why I usually know which ones will be silver or gold. This could be enforced by the fact that I can get the gold chest when I would have done better getting the silver one.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
I might as well bump this, seeing as someone showed interest in reading it and I linked her to it. it might be conmsidered "old and decrepid" now, though...

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I'll bite smile .

I agree with neither the Sith nor the Jedi. The Jedi appear (correct me if I'm wrong) to believe that strong emotions lead to bad things, and so should be suppressed. The Sith appear to believe that strong emotions lead to good things and should be encouraged. I believe emotions lead neither towards nor away from life's ultimate goals, but should be a goal unto themselves.

To use Anankin as an example, both the Jedi and the Sith failed him (and were in turn destroyed by him). He gut sucked into the Jedi because they offered him purpose (which he needed, emotionally) but ultimately he destroyed them because they denied him the one thing he needed the most - his family. And he joined and destroyed the Sith for the very same reasons. What Anakin really needed was mentors who would have offered purpose while simultaneously encouraging healthy relationships with both Padme and his mother - the Jedi tried to cut off those relationships entirely and the Sith pushed them to the point of obsession causing him to have a breakdown when objects of his obsession were destroyed. Both approaches ultimately destroyed Anakin and the organizations imposing them. Basically, Anakin really didn't need dogma - he needed a therapist.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
catspook
I'll bite smile .

I agree with neither the Sith nor the Jedi. The Jedi appear (correct me if I'm wrong) to believe that strong emotions lead to bad things, and so should be suppressed. The Sith appear to believe that strong emotions lead to good things and should be encouraged. I believe emotions lead neither towards nor away from life's ultimate goals, but should be a goal unto themselves.

To use Anankin as an example, both the Jedi and the Sith failed him (and were in turn destroyed by him). He gut sucked into the Jedi because they offered him purpose (which he needed, emotionally) but ultimately he destroyed them because they denied him the one thing he needed the most - his family. And he joined and destroyed the Sith for the very same reasons. What Anakin really needed was mentors who would have offered purpose while simultaneously encouraging healthy relationships with both Padme and his mother - the Jedi tried to cut off those relationships entirely and the Sith pushed them to the point of obsession causing him to have a breakdown when objects of his obsession were destroyed. Both approaches ultimately destroyed Anakin and the organizations imposing them. Basically, Anakin really didn't need dogma - he needed a therapist.

now THAT is an extraordinary point to make! biggrin I applaud you for that, because I agree completely upon reading it. I wouldn't have likely made that distinction on my own, despite all the times I've used those instances and examples to explain other points.

though, I now am curious how you mean emotions should be means unto themselves... I get that the two extreme positions of the orders are what drove Anakin/Vader to ever deeper levels of madness (and motivated him to strike back against his manipulators), however it seems that you are stating his need for guidance and direction more than for simply emotional expression.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
I'll bite smile .

now THAT is an extraordinary point to make! biggrin I applaud you for that, because I agree completely upon reading it. I wouldn't have likely made that distinction on my own, despite all the times I've used those instances and examples to explain other points.

though, I now am curious how you mean emotions should be means unto themselves... I get that the two extreme positions of the orders are what drove Anakin/Vader to ever deeper levels of madness (and motivated him to strike back against his manipulators), however it seems that you are stating his need for guidance and direction more than for simply emotional expression.

Thanks. smile Believe it or not, I've thought about this a lot because I keep having this reoccurring dream where I end up in Coruscant sometime between Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith and I have to keep Anakin from turning to Palpatine (rediculous, because Stars Wars isn't even my fandom, it's my partner's xd ).

And, yes, I think Anakin needs guidance because he doesn't know how to manage his emotions in a healthy way (unsurprising, considering the events of his life). He also, like many people, has an emotional need for purpose as well as for love and belonging, but love and belonging come first (in this, he is a perfect example of someone follows Maslow's hierarchy of needs). I'm not sure he's technically human, but he certainly has the common psychology of one.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
I'll bite smile .

Thanks. smile Believe it or not, I've thought about this a lot because I keep having this reoccurring dream where I end up in Coruscant sometime between Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith and I have to keep Anakin from turning to Palpatine (rediculous, because Stars Wars isn't even my fandom, it's my partner's xd ).

And, yes, I think Anakin needs guidance because he doesn't know how to manage his emotions in a healthy way (unsurprising, considering the events of his life). He also, like many people, has an emotional need for purpose as well as for love and belonging, but love and belonging come first (in this, he is a perfect example of someone follows Maslow's hierarchy of needs). I'm not sure he's technically human, but he certainly has the common psychology of one.

I see. even then, while yes, Emotions are important and so is expressing them, the key is that he must learn to express them in a healthy way that is constructive to his goals. it is about self-mastery.

that said, yes the Sith Order as it presents itself in the fiction is also just as flawed and harmful to Darth Vader as the Jedi Order is to Anakin. so, I must agree with you, still, on those grounds. perhaps that is another reason that I prefer the Revanite ideal of balance and healthy understanding.

emotions can't be an end in and of themselves... that is too dangerous. the goal must be to harness and coexist with your emotions.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
I'll bite smile .

I see. even then, while yes, Emotions are important and so is expressing them, the key is that he must learn to express them in a healthy way that is constructive to his goals. it is about self-mastery.

that said, yes the Sith Order as it presents itself in the fiction is also just as flawed and harmful to Darth Vader as the Jedi Order is to Anakin. so, I must agree with you, still, on those grounds. perhaps that is another reason that I prefer the Revanite ideal of balance and healthy understanding.

emotions can't be an end in and of themselves... that is too dangerous. the goal must be to harness and coexist with your emotions.

I'm not sure I would use that exact wording, as I don't consider emotions to be separate from being, but you are correct, I was not clear. I don't consider "emotions" as in any and all emotions to be the goal, but rather a healthy emotional state to be the goal - my apologies for that error.

And I just looked into the Revanites, and I agree - they sound much more sensible than either side. But how dogmatic are they? The article I found made them sound similarly dogmatic to both the Sith and the Jedi. Generally speaking, I find just about all dogma dangerous due to its inflexible nature. To one again you Anakin as an example, I'm not sure simply a more moderate force-based religious tradition would have cut it - with his obsessive personality, I could see him going too far with just about any dogma (I'm similarly obsessive and have had very bad experiences with dogmatic thinking, so I'm particularly sensitive to this issue).

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
I'll bite smile .

I'm not sure I would use that exact wording, as I don't consider emotions to be separate from being, but you are correct, I was not clear. I don't consider "emotions" as in any and all emotions to be the goal, but rather a healthy emotional state to be the goal - my apologies for that error.

And I just looked into the Revanites, and I agree - they sound much more sensible than either side. But how dogmatic are they? The article I found made them sound similarly dogmatic to both the Sith and the Jedi. Generally speaking, I find just about all dogma dangerous due to its inflexible nature. To one again you Anakin as an example, I'm not sure simply a more moderate force-based religious tradition would have cut it - with his obsessive personality, I could see him going too far with just about any dogma (I'm similarly obsessive and have had very bad experiences with dogmatic thinking, so I'm particularly sensitive to this issue).

indeed, that is the case, and they are. which is why I don't actually consider myself religious despite having a code I believe in. I stick true to the anti-dogmatic ways of the Chaos Magi. I'd much rather wear the mantle of any given dogma for a while and then purposefully commit blasphemy to that dogma than to subscribe to any absolute belief. though instead I opt to simply explore and examine many different ways of thinking, carefully deciding which ones to accept and which to rethink.

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
I'll bite smile .

indeed, that is the case, and they are. which is why I don't actually consider myself religious despite having a code I believe in. I stick true to the anti-dogmatic ways of the Chaos Magi. I'd much rather wear the mantle of any given dogma for a while and then purposefully commit blasphemy to that dogma than to subscribe to any absolute belief. though instead I opt to simply explore and examine many different ways of thinking, carefully deciding which ones to accept and which to rethink.

That makes sense - constantly exploring new views is a good way to keep oneself from getting too entrenched in a single dogma. And therein lies one of the most destructive aspects of the Jedi/Sith dichotomy - they refuse to entertain the idea that the other might have some good merit, and ideas outside of the dichotomy seem to be ignored entirely. For all their preaching about oneness and peace, the Jedi seem more defined by conflict (with the Sith) than compromise (with anybody).

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook
Chieftain Twilight
catspook

That makes sense - constantly exploring new views is a good way to keep oneself from getting too entrenched in a single dogma. And therein lies one of the most destructive aspects of the Jedi/Sith dichotomy - they refuse to entertain the idea that the other might have some good merit, and ideas outside of the dichotomy seem to be ignored entirely. For all their preaching about oneness and peace, the Jedi seem more defined by conflict (with the Sith) than compromise (with anybody).

3nodding exactly while I have never liked their Order, despite still finding wisdom to be had among individuals and their Code.

it's actually quite fun to play the Jedi classes in SWTOR. ^_^ you get to see these very sorts of debates take place and choose your reactions to them.

Fashionable Lover

10,600 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Megathread 100
Chieftain Twilight
I might as well bump this, seeing as someone showed interest in reading it and I linked her to it. it might be conmsidered "old and decrepid" now, though...

I miss you my dark bro of the sith! *hugz* how are you?

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight

well if it isn't my favourite Grey Jedi! biggrin emotion_hug

I'm alright, I suppose. a few problems here and there... new love life, all that.

dunno if you noticed, but there was new discussion material above. ^_^

Fashionable Lover

10,600 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Megathread 100
Chieftain Twilight
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight

I'm alright, I suppose. a few problems here and there... new love life, all that.

Will go over it as soon as my heart clears up. I am in love too, and the only thing I can think of is seeing that special person, after being away on a trip for 3 days. I miss her very very much already, wish she were on gaia *pouts*
Heh, passion, it is a double edged sword.
Finishing my last exam tomorrow, after that, who the hell cares going to spend my time as if the world ended this week WOO HOO!

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Elocutionist 200
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight

Will go over it as soon as my heart clears up. I am in love too, and the only thing I can think of is seeing that special person, after being away on a trip for 3 days. I miss her very very much already, wish she were on gaia *pouts*
Finishing my last exam tomorrow, after that, who the hell cares going to spend my time as if the world ended this week WOO HOO!

I'm so sorry for your distance from your new lover. my girlfriend is away until the new semester starts up in January. so I know how you feel. it's hard on us.

Fashionable Lover

10,600 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Megathread 100
Chieftain Twilight
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight
JustBiMe
Chieftain Twilight

I'm so sorry for your distance from your new lover. my girlfriend is away until the new semester starts up in January. so I know how you feel. it's hard on us.

Thank you m'friend. Holding on, holding on we are

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces