Welcome to Gaia! ::

Favorite breakfast food?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on January 3, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

First of all I'm not a christian..not exactly. I'm looking forward to becoming a christian but right nor I'm just studying the bible and I've seen lot's of places in the bible that say that Saturday is the day of rest and worship not Sunday. I have seen no other place in the bible that says that the date should be changed to Sunday. So why do Christians go to church on Sunday?

Also alot of Christians eat pork and by bible standards 'unclean meat'. Many christians say that they can do it because in Peter's dream God used unclean meat in a metaphor but later in the bible it clearly says that God meant that Peter needed to preach the word to all people, even gentiles which were thought of as 'un-clean'.

So..can anyone help me out..
Hum-De-dum
I think I've heard of a religion that follows these things but not sure..
Quote:
I think I've heard of a religion that follows these things but not sure..

Firstly, stop bumping. Secondly, yes, there are two to be exact: Islam and Judaism. Well, not precisely. The day of rest starts Friday at sundown and ends on sundown Saturday.
Saterday is the sabbath in Judaism. Jesus broke the sabbath and made it Sunday, thus Christian church is on Sunday. As to pork, well back in the time the bible was written pork was a very unclean meat. Pigs were used to clean the garbage and waste of the city and there were alot of diseases associated with them. But nowadays they are much cleaner so people can eat them and not get sick.
Jesus didn't break the Sabbath day and made it Sunday. Christians have the Sabbath day on Sunday, because of Christ's death, and on the third day (which was a Sunday), Christ rose from the dead. This is why Christians have the Sabbath day on Sunday.

About the meat, Jesus Christ said: "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean." wink
Quote:
About the meat, Jesus Christ said: "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean." wink

Actually, that's rather interesting. If we read that correctly, it demonstrates an understanding of physiology not seen until the Renaissnce. Prior to that, it was often believed that the heart was where food was broken down and turned into blood. Jesus as physiologist. Hmmmmm...
Quote:
Jesus didn't break the Sabbath day and made it Sunday. Christians have the Sabbath day on Sunday, because of Christ's death, and on the third day (which was a Sunday), Christ rose from the dead. This is why Christians have the Sabbath day on Sunday.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean it like He was all "Hey guys, lets not do that whole Saturday thing anymore, no the real fun is Sunday." But I can see how it would come off as that. I worded it wrong. I just ment that through his actions and such Christians worship on Sunday and not Saturday.
You can go to church any day of the week... the point of going to church is to build a relationship with the family of God and to learn things you never would have learned on your own. You will also get called out on when you're sinning when if you were by yourself, you'd never have been notified.

I like my church, but you have to find a church where you are growing spiritually.
Tangled Up In Blue
Actually, that's rather interesting. If we read that correctly, it demonstrates an understanding of physiology not seen until the Renaissnce. Prior to that, it was often believed that the heart was where food was broken down and turned into blood. Jesus as physiologist. Hmmmmm...

I wonder if Luke, the beloved physician, also knew such thing, like Jesus.

omit29
Sorry, my bad. I didn't mean it like He was all "Hey guys, lets not do that whole Saturday thing anymore, no the real fun is Sunday." But I can see how it would come off as that. I worded it wrong. I just ment that through his actions and such Christians worship on Sunday and not Saturday.

It's all right. 3nodding
The DAY of organized worship is not important. The ACT is. Christians traditionally worship on Sundays simply becuase it is tradition. MY local Baptist church has youth meetings on Wednesdays where they do the same thing as on Sunday, albeit with a much more casual style. So the youth do it on Wednesday as well as Sunday. Some of them even skip the Sunday part. xd

As far as meat, I believe that has been cleared up rather well.
Quote:
I wonder if Luke, the beloved physician, also knew such thing, like Jesus.

Luke would have had to either learn it from Jesus (who probably knew it because of the whole God thing) or Luke would have had to do some disecting to figure it out on his own.
The Catholic Church, changed from Shabbat to Sunday worship in an effort to seperate themselves from Jews, and later on Protestants adopted the practice. I being a Messianic Jew keep Shabbat from Friday night until Saturday night. Some other Christian denominations such as Seventh Day Adventists keep Shabbat. I have found several websites that deal with the change from Sabbath to Sunday : http://www.thercg.org/books/tsosw.html#7
http://www.amazingfacts.org/items/Read_Media.asp?ID=652&x=27&y=10
So, does this mean I'm wrong about the Sunday thing and Christ's Resurrection? crying
Quote:
So, does this mean I'm wrong about the Sunday thing and Christ's Resurrection? crying
Yes friend I'm sorry, but what do we do about 1000 or so years of living in error? sweatdrop I keep Shabbat holy and then I go to Church with my non-denominational parents on the 1st day of the week, for me the entire weekend is a time for devotion, worship, fellowship and reflection.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff