Loiterer

Greetings all. I hope there's someone who knows something about Buddhism in this forum.

Shin Buddhism, also known as Pure Land Buddhism, part of Mahayana Buddhism.
This is what I know about it so far, pretty much.

I think I understand most of what's going on, but I don't understand some of the smaller things. There is a hongwanji (temple) in my area that I've gone to a few times, but I stopped going to the sermons because I felt uncomfortable not knowing the background of the religions. It's not like there's really a bible study equivalent to buddhism. Or at least not in my hongwanji.

I have since been reading up on it, my two main vehicles of information being Buddha of Infinite Light and Call of the Infinite.

I'm sure if I went back to the Hongwanji and just asked, they'd probably answer all my questions. But I am just too embarrassed. So I'll ask them here instead. >_>

- At what point do you call yourself a Buddhist?
I think I am comfortable enough in my understanding of the beliefs to say I'd like to follow them and go to the hongwanji as a member (instead of a visitor). But I feel like coming out and saying "I'm a buddhist" at this point in time would be disingenuous. At what point did you label yourself (if at all)?

Necklace thingy? What is it?
First time at the hongwanji, I was singled out as a visitor and they placed a red yarn necklace thing over my neck and kissed me on the cheek. I had no idea what was going on. Is there a proper way to wear the necklace (end behind neck or hanging down?)? What is this necklace thing called? Should I wear it when I go to the hongwanji next time? What does it signify?

Beads that help for prayer/chant
Forgot what they were called. And how are you supposed to wear them? And where can I buy/make some?

The traditional clothing
It's hard to explain. I hope you'll know what I'm talking about. Many people who attend wear very particular clothing. I was wonder if anyone had an info on what is was or signified.

Proper/appropriate clothing?
I kind of just put on what could be construed as church clothes which I guess is fine, but can anyone instruct me as to what else I might be allowed to wear? Or at least what I shouldn't wear?

Bowing on entrance/exit of hongwanji
Why? I understand the practice for shinto shrines, but I'd assume there's not supposed to be spirits and stuff at buddhist ones?? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with doing it. I would just like to know the symbolism behind it.

Thank you in advance for all your help and sorry I come off as a total idiot about the simple things. That is why I didn't want to ask anyone in person.

edit: My hongwanji is mostly japanese and I'm pretty sure it's the judo shin shu type... I am probably saying this wrong. Anyway hope this helps narrow it down, since a lot of info might be different base don region. At least that is some of the problems I have encountered.