Welcome to Gaia! ::

I wish I could just post what the article has on here, but I have to link it for you guys to see the whole idea.

Anywho people are going crazy over the girl in my sig (Zero Suit Samus) saying she is being "sexualized" in Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS by Nintendo.

Clicky
I think it's ridiculous, but I could be missing the "bigger picture" Probs not tho.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The link you provided asks for people to sign in, and doesn't go directly to the article. Just a little heads up.

And I thought this would be discussing Anita Sarkeesian's "study" where she pretty much claims that EVERYTHING in videos is sexist.

But yeah, while I'd say there is a sexist element in the video game industry, I'd say a lot of that is from the marketing aspect. There are character designs that are specifically made with the intention of getting men to notice, most notably, scantily clad women. Now, I don't think it's nearly as effective as people might think it is, and I don't necessarily think that all scantily clad women are necessarily being objectified or anything, but it does exist, and if you could provide some more information on the article you wanted to link, I could probably give a better response.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I don't see a problem with how women are portrayed in games. The guys are sexualized too by being all muscular and Rambo-ish.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
If we go by the logic of the majority of people who argue for the legitimacy of this issue, then all war games are sexist in that they portray men as the primary enemy or target in every instance.

Before crying wolf about sexism, one must check one's own mouth for fangs after all.
Super 9-Volt
The guys are sexualized too by being all muscular and Rambo-ish.

That's not sexualization so much as it's pandering to power fantasies.

Heroic Hero

stealthmongoose
If we go by the logic of the majority of people who argue for the legitimacy of this issue, then all war games are sexist in that they portray men as the primary enemy or target in every instance.

Before crying wolf about sexism, one must check one's own mouth for fangs after all.

Or that all war games are sexist because you're always using male characters. Girls can be in the army too right? Sexist games.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Bogotanian
stealthmongoose

Or that all war games are sexist because you're always using male characters. Girls can be in the army too right? Sexist games.

No...war games are sexist against men. Most of the the time in shooters now, even if the character is "male," you don't see the characters face for most of the game, so it's the individual player who is the "hero"...not necessarily the character. Also, all the enemies are male, and they're just objects for the hero to overcome, with no care for the value of their individual lives. In fact, you're supposed to take pleasure in the act of killing these faceless men in a variety of ways.

Translation: Anything can be sexist when you explain it with a twist in the context.

Heroic Hero

Rumblestiltskin
Bogotanian
stealthmongoose

No...war games are sexist against men. Most of the the time in shooters now, even if the character is "male," you don't see the characters face for most of the game, so it's the individual player who is the "hero"...not necessarily the character. Also, all the enemies are male, and they're just objects for the hero to overcome, with no care for the value of their individual lives. In fact, you're supposed to take pleasure in the act of killing these faceless men in a variety of ways.

Translation: Anything can be sexist when you explain it with a twist in the context.

haha shoot with an explanation like that I'm almost convinced that shooters are all sexist rofl lol jk

Also, while we're on sexism, I feel like I should mention something. I think that your avatar is sexist. It portrays this macho, male wrestler type that makes a statement about masculinity. To be a real guy, you have to be a macho with bulging muscles and defeat other people physically. Sexist. Also, you could at least include in your signature that girls can be wrestlers too... you WOULD have a male wrestler, of course... saying that a woman can't do a man's sport? Double sexist very offensive avatar.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Bogotanian
Rumblestiltskin
Bogotanian
stealthmongoose

haha shoot with an explanation like that I'm almost convinced that shooters are all sexist rofl lol jk

Also, while we're on sexism, I feel like I should mention something. I think that your avatar is sexist. It portrays this macho, male wrestler type that makes a statement about masculinity. To be a real guy, you have to be a macho with bulging muscles and defeat other people physically. Sexist. Also, you could at least include in your signature that girls can be wrestlers too... you WOULD have a male wrestler, of course... saying that a woman can't do a man's sport? Double sexist very offensive avatar.

But..........women can't be wrestlers. *trollface*
The only games I find sexist are Eroges and Ryonas.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
The big problem I have is that people talk about sexism and sexual objectification as if it's the same thing. Using a hot model to sell your ice cream/deodorant/taco shells is not the same as discriminating against a certain gender.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
M E C H A N I C A R M
The big problem I have is that people talk about sexism and sexual objectification as if it's the same thing. Using a hot model to sell your ice cream/deodorant/taco shells is not the same as discriminating against a certain gender.

In that case; Touching on the crux of the issue, do you personally believe that SEXISM specifically in video-games is a problem?
iTzMGT
Anywho people are going crazy over the girl in my sig (Zero Suit Samus) saying she is being "sexualized" in Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS by Nintendo.

Meh. I've always hated the zero suit myself. Before it was a "thing" Samus looked like [********]. When she took off her helmet in Prime, Retro studios managed to make her look intelligent and mature. She looked like a hero who really could storm Tallon IV and defeat the space pirates, but she still managed to look elegant and feminine, too.

Then after Zero Mission, she started looking like this. People have pointed out that her face looks like it was stolen from a Barbie Doll, her hair is now a super bright yellow, it looks like she just spent a few hours styling it, not saving a planet from certain destruction, and it's hilariously impractical for her to have that top knot while in her helmet.

And while technically it is less revealing than the red bikini she wore in previous games, it also does kind of lend itself to a lot of unnecessary fanservice shots in Other M.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
stealthmongoose
M E C H A N I C A R M

In that case; Touching on the crux of the issue, do you personally believe that SEXISM specifically in video-games is a problem?

I think sexism in any scenario is a problem, and a multi-faceted one at that. The misrepresentation of women in any medium is a detriment both to the narrative being presented and society as a whole. That said, many people turn to video games as a whipping boy, but it seems more likely sexism in video games is inherited from cinema and other mediums - it's just that, being novel, people like to blame the video games industry for every evil under the sun.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Bogotanian
Out of curiosity, have you ever heard of Perfect Dark...?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff