Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Conversationalist

7,550 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Dragoness Arleeana
stealthmongoose
I would say that the very idea of most religions is to worship one's own thought processes as these sacred, mysterious, unequivocably mystical and unknowable things that God or the divine force in question created out of thin ether.

In the worship of oneself i suppose one thing can be said that cannot be said for most other religions. Your deity exists in the way it is presented to exist.

That doesn't make it any less silly to me, mind you, given the lack of control you have over our world, even if it is more than the Bible does. Disney, for example, commands a legion of souls and he's not even alive anymore! <---That was a joke.

It seems silly to you that there might be people who are actively trying to better the world around them? I think you would be surprised at what a single person can accomplish in their lifetime and how it affects the world, country, and/or community.

I'm sorry, but "actively trying to make the world a better place" and "Worshipping oneself" are not the same thing. A person's actions and their beliefs are not as intertwined as "Think this and it happens", so any beliefs are not active by mere virtue of them being beliefs.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that prayer cures cancer.

Did you post here by accident?

Eloquent Lunatic

Xiam
castigat ridendo mores

I agree with much of what he's saying, but I wonder what this video has to do with this discussion (the self-worship angle, maybe?), and why he sounds so angry. xd
I put it here because of the self-worship angle, lmao. I agree with what he's saying, and in essence it's making a jab that belief in a God is self-worship in some way.
Project Light
Sohisohi
I got into that for a while... It was fun, I can give you some pointers for making arguments defending your own divinity if you would like of me. It has been a while now, so I might be a bit rusty.

Statistically speaking, only people who aren't me die.

Ah, well versed you are.
Self-worship could technically fulfill the requirements of a religion but pragmatically cannot. It falls short even of attempting to mimic mental illness.

Eloquent Hunter

stealthmongoose
Dragoness Arleeana
stealthmongoose
I would say that the very idea of most religions is to worship one's own thought processes as these sacred, mysterious, unequivocably mystical and unknowable things that God or the divine force in question created out of thin ether.

In the worship of oneself i suppose one thing can be said that cannot be said for most other religions. Your deity exists in the way it is presented to exist.

That doesn't make it any less silly to me, mind you, given the lack of control you have over our world, even if it is more than the Bible does. Disney, for example, commands a legion of souls and he's not even alive anymore! <---That was a joke.

It seems silly to you that there might be people who are actively trying to better the world around them? I think you would be surprised at what a single person can accomplish in their lifetime and how it affects the world, country, and/or community.

I'm sorry, but "actively trying to make the world a better place" and "Worshipping oneself" are not the same thing. A person's actions and their beliefs are not as intertwined as "Think this and it happens", so any beliefs are not active by mere virtue of them being beliefs.

Next thing you'll be telling me is that prayer cures cancer.

Did you post here by accident?

I misunderstood what it was you were saying is all. I assumed you were referring to people whos faith wants/demands them to actively try and better the world.

Not all religions where a person "worships" themselves view themselves as a deity, however. Certain faiths view the human body as the most sacred form so treat their bodies like temples or revere the human form in general. A popular beliefs among neo-pagans is that each of us holds a bit of divinity in us, but that doesn't mean they believe themselves a god.
I (how odd to have to frame it this way, eh?) have had several instances of entheogen use leading to revelatory experiences about the nature of what we consider the self. I not only believe that the closest thing to God is the actual universe itself (which, I assure you, is just as divine and beautiful as any depiction of God you'll find anywhere), which naturally leads to the conclusion that God is in everyone, but I also generally buy into the Hindu concepts of Brahman and Atman and their implications about the hazy distinction between 'self' and 'others.' On top of all of this is also a belief that the world we consider outside ourselves is not outside ourselves at all, but rather a constructed world which is a result of information being filtered through the human brain. Thus, self-worship would be a silly concept because there is no self, or at least, there is no true self which is not by sheer necessity intertwined with the 'outside' world in such a way as to make the distinction too hazy for any kind of real worship to take place.

In other words, my worship (and it isn't really worship... well, kind of, but it's more like just a deep respect and reverence for, rather than "oh wow, I have to worship you or bad things will happen!" wink of the beautiful universe in which I am privileged enough to be an inhabitant is to me as much a celebration of self as I am going to get, because all of my beautiful, positive experiences have necessarily been my own experiences as filtered and interpreted through my mind. Thus, self-worship is neither here nor there and a generally moot point.

However! If we're going to talk about the benefits of self-confidence and believing that one can find one's own path, then I am absolutely all for those positive aspects of self-acceptance and self-reliance, because I think that the idea that everyone is awful and bad and that nobody can do themselves a favor or seek their own enlightenment is a toxic concept and for lack of a better term, a hoax.
Isn't LaVeyan Satanism a religion just like this?

Anxious Humorist

13,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
WaRori-Chan

I'm pretty sure it is... could be mistaken, though.
Xiam
WaRori-Chan

The OP never answered my question regard LaVeyan Satanism which is about what pleases the self and doing what is best for you. Some people get it confused with thinking yourself to be a God. That might be because it teaches that you are your own master and shaper. There used to be a FAQ about it in MR somewhere, but the active Satanists moved on.
the world doesn't need more narcissistic twats

9,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
jaden kendam
Are you separating this idea from a religion like, LaVayan Satanism?

jaden kendam
Xiam
WaRori-Chan

The OP never answered my question regard LaVeyan Satanism which is about what pleases the self and doing what is best for you. Some people get it confused with thinking yourself to be a God. That might be because it teaches that you are your own master and shaper. There used to be a FAQ about it in MR somewhere, but the active Satanists moved on.

The idea is by itself. I do not wish for any unrelated ideas from religions that has similar concepts in their teachings to be intertwined with its core idea.

9,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Project Light
AlastorFate

Discuss about the possibility of worshiping oneself as a form of religion.

Possible traits of a person who worship oneself
- exudes extreme high level of confidence (high self esteem)
- sees oneself as a powerful being or even to the level of divinity

You are essentially describing narcissism, which is a mental disorder.

If you want to worship yourself, I'd recommend solipsism. Maybe mixed with hedonism.

Beyond that is just silly, imo.

Anger and depression are natural human tendencies. But modern medical field still regards them as disorders.

Self worshiping is merely an extreme case of self love. If the subjected person doesn't exhibit any destructive behaviors that arise from it, I would not be inclined to coin it as a disorder at all.

Solipsism might be a possible branch of self worship. Hedonism isn't really essential though.

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
AlastorFate
Project Light
AlastorFate

If you want to worship yourself, I'd recommend solipsism. Maybe mixed with hedonism.

Anger and depression are natural human tendencies. But modern medical field still regards them as disorders.

No it doesn't. That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while.

Quote:
Self worshiping is merely an extreme case of self love. If the subjected person doesn't exhibit any destructive behaviors that arise from it, I would not be inclined to coin it as a disorder at all.

You aren't a psychologist or any branch therein, so it really doesn't matter what you would consider a disorder. It factually is one. Such behaviors would be exhibited when treatment becomes a necessity, but they are not a necessity in possessing the disorder
It isn't "normal" or healthy to be a narcissist -- to love yourself more than anyone else on the planet, to the level of superhuman status. There is no way you can put that in a good light, as if it weren't a disorder. It is just silly to do so.

9,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Project Light
AlastorFate
Project Light
AlastorFate

No it doesn't. That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while.

Quote:

You aren't a psychologist or any branch therein, so it really doesn't matter what you would consider a disorder. It factually is one. Such behaviors would be exhibited when treatment becomes a necessity, but they are not a necessity in possessing the disorder
It isn't "normal" or healthy to be a narcissist -- to love yourself more than anyone else on the planet, to the level of superhuman status. There is no way you can put that in a good light, as if it weren't a disorder. It is just silly to do so.

Quote:
No it doesn't.

What do you mean?

Quote:
That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while.

What? My statement on medical field seeing negative human emotion as disorders is pretty factual. Are you challenging that?

Quote:

I am not here for a fight. You don't know my usual stance on things here, I don't take stand in any thing usually in M&R. I am neutral in everything here, including the topic here.

I have the right not to see it as disorder. That is an opinion of mine. I don't expect you or others to agree with me. My ideas are influenced by self help genre. It involves accepting them as normal but doing something about it naturally. This however is not within the scope of discussion.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games