Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Mystic

GunsmithKitten
Aporeia
Lucky~9~Lives
Aporeia
You become a monopoly by selling to everyone, and being the only favorable seller that lasts.

Or by maintaining barriers to entry to the market.
Which isn't even possible to the kind of small market businesses that would have discriminatory policies.

Sure it is. You eliminate the competition that sells to the minorities in question.
We're not talking about walmart-level entities, we're talking about Brigham's Bigot Bakery vs. Big Gay Al's Big Gay Bakery.
Fermionic
I should like to see a picture of a radical homosexual activist.

Would Fred phelps count for the homophobic and radical activists?
Traxxart
Fermionic

I'm fairly sure he's not active enough for such an accolade.
Fermionic
Traxxart
Fermionic

I'm fairly sure he's not active enough for such an accolade.

Right, he died didn't he?

Sparkly Unicorn

18,975 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
I know I am walking into a landmine situation but all I can say is this...

There are certain types of businesses where I can see Christians feeling the need to refuse specific services based on their beliefs. Anything that could indicate support of the homosexual lifestyle would be something that Christians are NOT supposed to do. Such as, true Christian clergy performing marriage ceremonies. Wedding planners, wedding cake bakers and even anything involving bringing a baby into a homosexual relationship. Some people are going to scream discrimination but...when it comes to the Faith, it's important to have lines drawn.

Some people would say, "Then don't get into those businesses." That's not fair. The reality is that this open arms acceptance of homosexuality hasn't been around since Sodom and Gomorrah.

I see nothing wrong with saying, "I'm sorry. It goes against my religion to assist you with this matter. However, here is a list of businesses/people who will be glad to assist you." Technically speaking, as Christians we aren't supposed to help a sinner carry on in their sin, but we ARE supposed to comply with mans laws. Refusing service but giving a referral I think solves both problems.
daionara

There are certain types of businesses where I can see Christians feeling the need to refuse specific services based on their beliefs. Anything that could indicate support of the homosexual lifestyle would be something that Christians are NOT supposed to do. Such as, true Christian clergy performing marriage ceremonies. Wedding planners, wedding cake bakers and even anything involving bringing a baby into a homosexual relationship. Some people are going to scream discrimination but...when it comes to the Faith, it's important to have lines drawn.

Some people would say, "Then don't get into those businesses." That's not fair. The reality is that this open arms acceptance of homosexuality hasn't been around since Sodom and Gomorrah.

I see nothing wrong with saying, "I'm sorry. It goes against my religion to assist you with this matter. However, here is a list of businesses/people who will be glad to assist you." Technically speaking, as Christians we aren't supposed to help a sinner carry on in their sin, but we ARE supposed to comply with mans laws. Refusing service but giving a referral I think solves both problems.

But homosexuality has no demonstrable harm so why should we pretend they have a good enough reason to refuse service? Should they be allowed to discriminate if someone does things like accept modern medicine as a way to treat disease, or if they profess to be a republican? Is there a limit to what they can claim a religious right to refuse if it personally offends them? What if they acted on things that weren't decisions like if they thought being a different race, or being crippled was sinful, and therefore they had an obligation not to provide a service? It's unlikely but how would that be any different?

Aged Lunatic

daionara

Eh, I honestly don't disagree with that, especially with a referral.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
daionara

I was about to complain about what you just said, but that final statement saying that they should at the very least redirect them to people who will help makes me understand what you're saying. The only issue here is that Christianity in itself is rather contradictive. They say to "love thy neighbor" without the clause of "unless they're gay".

People nowadays do not mind the way you practice your religion AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT AFFECT OTHER PEOPLE. I'll stress that again. The minute something from your religion impedes on another person's living, then it's suddenly a problem.

It's kind of like how we don't really complain about the Jews eating Kosher.

Dangerous Ladykiller

11,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
I think saying Christian's in general is harsh, but certainly this person is going down the wrong road.
I heard recently that some of out states are trying to segregate homosexuals from everyone else. Exactly how are they going to know who is and who isn't? This isn't colour or race, this is something you can't see unless you're married or something.
I find this whole matter amusing.
I somewhat agree with daionara. They could at least point them to another place if they are going to be like that.

Sparkly Unicorn

18,975 Points
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
Mitsuki Horenake
daionara

I was about to complain about what you just said, but that final statement saying that they should at the very least redirect them to people who will help makes me understand what you're saying. The only issue here is that Christianity in itself is rather contradictive. They say to "love thy neighbor" without the clause of "unless they're gay".

People nowadays do not mind the way you practice your religion AS LONG AS THEY DO NOT AFFECT OTHER PEOPLE. I'll stress that again. The minute something from your religion impedes on another person's living, then it's suddenly a problem.

Let me put this in terms that make the "Love They Neighbor" easier to understand in the way you are interpreting it.

If your child did something you believe to be wrong, would you not discipline them? Does this mean you don't love them? If your friend says something or does something you disagree with, does this mean you no longer love them?

Loving someone does not mean agreeing with or supporting everything they do. I have friends that I love who are gay. I have friends that I love who have sex outside of marriage. My two daughters BOTH live with their boyfriends, I still love them. I just do not support what they do. They know it. If, as Christians, we do not speak up against homosexuality, then we are not doing our job. This does NOT in any way excuse bullying or violence towards homosexuals. Love sometimes means speaking the hard truth.

Hilarious Autobiographer

9,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Inquisitor 200
daionara
Mitsuki Horenake
daionara

Let me put this in terms that make the "Love They Neighbor" easier to understand in the way you are interpreting it.

If your child did something you believe to be wrong, would you not discipline them? Does this mean you don't love them? If your friend says something or does something you disagree with, does this mean you no longer love them?

Loving someone does not mean agreeing with or supporting everything they do. I have friends that I love who are gay. I have friends that I love who have sex outside of marriage. My two daughters BOTH live with their boyfriends, I still love them. I just do not support what they do. They know it. If, as Christians, we do not speak up against homosexuality, then we are not doing our job. This does NOT in any way excuse bullying or violence towards homosexuals. Love sometimes means speaking the hard truth.

...no, that still fits with what I'm saying. If my child ended up being heavily Conservative, I'd still love them. However, their Conservative lifestyle is neither enforced on me nor is it shoved on me. If I had friends who smoked, I would still love them, as long as they don't try and push me to smoke as well. As long as they don't enforce anything on me, I will still accept it.

Though I get what you're saying...somewhat. I just find it weird that you can be loving and supporting someone despite them having a thing that's basically hereditary. Yes, I do believe that homosexuality is a genetic DNA code in the same way that heterosexuality is. I don't really get how someone would not support something that is basically what you're born with. It's like saying that I totally think my best friend is completely awesome despite the fact that, I dunno, he's black or something.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Buddy Smith can kiss my a**. (Yes, all of the homo) I wonder, if I were to open a store that refused service to Christians, would the folks supporting discrimination laws support me? 3nodding

Festive Dabbler

29,590 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
SparkyKid3000
Buddy Smith can kiss my a**. (Yes, all of the homo) I wonder, if I were to open a store that refused service to Christians, would the folks supporting discrimination laws support me? 3nodding

Bah, who needs your filthy heathen store anyway? They would just open their own store. With blackjack. And hookers.

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
daionara

Ezekiel 16
49 Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. 50 Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it.

Not seeing anything about homosexuality being the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed. In fact there seems to be a number of other reasons why they were destroyed. Just saying.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
GunsmithKitten
Quote:
AFA spokesman Buddy Smith said: “If you do that, you are agreeing with these businesses that Christians no longer have the freedom to live out the dictates of their Christian faith and conscience.
“It’s not really a buying campaign, but it’s a bully campaign, and it’s being carried out by radical homosexual activists who intend to trample the freedom of Christians to live according to the dictates of scripture.
“They don’t want to hear that homosexuality is sinful behaviour – and they wish to silence Christians and the church who dare to believe this truth.

That pisses me off so ******** much.

You know who didn't discriminate? Jesus.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff