Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
From what I've read (and learned more about in school) was that angels on earth had sex with humans and the hybrids that were born were called Nephilim (or grigori or giants).

God then sent the flood to kill them. But when Moses and his followers were wandering the desert, they came upon a city (I think Midrash) and found giants living there.

Were these the same giants? What happened to them (according to The Bible)? Does the Bible say or insinuate that anything about what would happen if any Nephilim survived? Why were they so bad in the first place?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I thought there was a translation error and the "giants" weren't really giants, just really cool demi-god sorts of people.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. It's all a bunch of fairy tales.
Blood Valkyrie

Fairy tales matter.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Lucky~9~Lives
Blood Valkyrie

Fairy tales matter.

Not when you are trying to determine facts concerning reality.

Shameless Mystic

Blood Valkyrie
I thought there was a translation error and the "giants" weren't really giants, just really cool demi-god sorts of people.

Some people are genuinely freakishly tall. Regardless of anything genesis related, it's totally possible that Moses went somewhere with freakishly large people.

Keep in mind, the average height of a person in a non-modernized world is around 5ish feet tall. Robert Wadlow was just shy of 9 ft tall.

Sultan Kosen's still alive and he's over 8ft.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's totally feasible that there can be really freaking big people. Those people are, literally, giants.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Blood Valkyrie
Lucky~9~Lives
Blood Valkyrie

Fairy tales matter.

What if I want facts about fairytales?
I_Write_Ivre
Blood Valkyrie
Lucky~9~Lives
Blood Valkyrie

Fairy tales matter.

Then you're really trying to determine facts about fiction.
- burning_eyes

Floppy Member

I_Write_Ivre
Blood Valkyrie
Lucky~9~Lives
Blood Valkyrie

Fairy tales matter.

Most good fiction has true aspects to it. It's still fiction. The bible also includes humans who lived over 500 years, in a time when 50 was considered genuinely old.

Heroic Hero

Smithsonian Cover Up Any giant bone findings in America are instantly declared a hoax or whisked away behind closed doors

Anyways the book of Enoch talks more about the Nephilim. They are a hybrid product of the watchers (fallen angels) and human women. They were considered an abomination to God. They possessed a physical form as well as a greater spiritual form due to their fathers. Apparently, they had a great hatred for God and humans, and Enoch goes into detail of ritual killing/eating of humans, forcing humans to pay tribute (taking their food), and wars involving the Nephilim. Interesting stuff.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Bogotanian
Smithsonian Cover Up Any giant bone findings in America are instantly declared a hoax or whisked away behind closed doors

Anyways the book of Enoch talks more about the Nephilim. They are a hybrid product of the watchers (fallen angels) and human women. They were considered an abomination to God. They possessed a physical form as well as a greater spiritual form due to their fathers. Apparently, they had a great hatred for God and humans, and Enoch goes into detail of ritual killing/eating of humans, forcing humans to pay tribute (taking their food), and wars involving the Nephilim. Interesting stuff.

The last two point toward all that to be hoaxes.

The cannibalism I missed, as did my boyfirend, who read The Bible multiple times and was a Jehovah's Witness since he was a kid (he stopped in late teens and is now and atheist).

Does Genesis really describe the watchers as fallen? Or, rather, always describe them as fallen?

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
I am The Compendium
From what I've read (and learned more about in school) was that angels on earth had sex with humans and the hybrids that were born were called Nephilim (or grigori or giants).

God then sent the flood to kill them. But when Moses and his followers were wandering the desert, they came upon a city (I think Midrash) and found giants living there.

Were these the same giants? What happened to them (according to The Bible)? Does the Bible say or insinuate that anything about what would happen if any Nephilim survived? Why were they so bad in the first place?
There are big enough holes in the Flood narrative to sail an ark through, the Exodus has no archaeology supporting it, and the Bible contradicts itself hundreds of times.

To answer your questions, though:
I am The Compendium
Were these the same giants?
- Their nature is complicated by the ambiguity of Genesis 6:4, in which it's unclear whether the "sons of God" themselves are the Nephilim, or their offspring are. The apocryphal Book of Enoch is the only thing that suggests the latter. It also is the most likely source for the commonly-held belief that they are fallen angels; the Bible itself refers to them only as "Sons of God".
I am The Compendium
What happened to them (according to The Bible)?
- The Bible doesn't really elaborate on what happened to them, but the Flood, since it allegedly killed everything that wasn't on the ark, should have wiped them out. The Book of Enoch actually suggests that eliminating them was one of God's reasons for flooding the Earth.

That said: Noah's Flood is in Genesis, which predates the book of Numbers 13:33 by a pretty long time, suggesting that...
    A> Some Nephilim survived the Flood
    B> The giants from Numbers are mistakenly called 'Nephilim'
    C> More "Sons of God" had children with human women after the Flood

After this encounter, there's no further mention of them. Some suggest that the "Fallen Mighty" of Ezekiel 32:27 speaks of them, but it does not; the word used there is "nophlim".
I am The Compendium
Does the Bible say or insinuate that anything about what would happen if any Nephilim survived?
- Nope.
I am The Compendium
Why were they so bad in the first place?
- Nothing in the Bible specifically says they were. Their association with Fallen Angels comes from outside sources, such as apocryphal texts.

As far as God wanting to wipe them from the earth, "OT God" was an insular-thinking xenophobe who didn't want anyone worshiping anything other than him, so the idea of the offspring of some of his subordinates being legends among men prolly pissed him off.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Bogotanian
Smithsonian Cover Up Any giant bone findings in America are instantly declared a hoax or whisked away behind closed doors.
"HumansAreFree", "AboveTopSecret" & "TimeToBelieve" .com? You really dig this conspiracy s**t, don't you...?

Heroic Hero

I_Write_Ivre
Bogotanian

The last two point toward all that to be hoaxes.

The cannibalism I missed, as did my boyfirend, who read The Bible multiple times and was a Jehovah's Witness since he was a kid (he stopped in late teens and is now and atheist).

Does Genesis really describe the watchers as fallen? Or, rather, always describe them as fallen?

There are Native-American stories all over, such as with the Si-Te-Cah, where they claim that their ancestors fought a group of red-haired giant cannibals. Also giant findings are more likely to be on display in other areas of the world (outside of the US/Europe), there's a lot of bones that have been unearthed.

Anyways, the Bible doesn't talk about the Nephilim much. It mentions them in Genesis 6:4 "The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."

and mentions giants later on in Numbers 13:33 (JPS version)

"33 And there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, who come of the Nephilim; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight."

The book of Enoch, which isn't in the Bible, talks about the Nephilim more. It's not in most canons (but it is in the Canon for the Ethiopian Orthodox Church). Also, the book of Enoch talks more about the watchers or fallen angels than the Bible does.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
Bogotanian

There are Native-American stories all over, such as with the Si-Te-Cah, where they claim that their ancestors fought a group of red-haired giant cannibals. Also giant findings are more likely to be on display in other areas of the world (outside of the US/Europe), there's a lot of bones that have been unearthed.

That's not really convincing. Attack on Titan has giants and that doesn't hold water at all. No to mention the museums aren't mentioned in credible sources.

Bogotanian
Anyways, the Bible doesn't talk about the Nephilim much. It mentions them in Genesis 6:4 "The Nephilim were in the earth in those days, and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children to them; the same were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown."

and mentions giants later on in Numbers 13:33 (JPS version)

"33 And there we saw the Nephilim, the sons of Anak, who come of the Nephilim; and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight."

The book of Enoch, which isn't in the Bible, talks about the Nephilim more. It's not in most canons (but it is in the Canon for the Ethiopian Orthodox Church). Also, the book of Enoch talks more about the watchers or fallen angels than the Bible does.

Which one mentioned that the Watchers were fallen angels?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Aporeia
Blood Valkyrie

Some people are genuinely freakishly tall. Regardless of anything genesis related, it's totally possible that Moses went somewhere with freakishly large people.

Keep in mind, the average height of a person in a non-modernized world is around 5ish feet tall. Robert Wadlow was just shy of 9 ft tall.

Sultan Kosen's still alive and he's over 8ft.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's totally feasible that there can be really freaking big people. Those people are, literally, giants.

Giants were possible, but I was under the impression that the original word used in the text didn't mean giant.

Besides, in order for me to say it's possible that Moses met some people, I have to first prove that Moses existed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff