Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
NOTE: I DO NOT INTEND TO ANGER ANYONE ABOUT THIS. I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND. THIS IS JUST SOMETHING I AM CURIOUS ABOUT...PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE TOS. THANKS...

So, first off, I am agnostic. I just need proof to believe in God, Jesus, or anything. I had a brief, very brief, discussion with my dad and sister. I do not believe that there is proof of God, Jesus, ect...because I don't, like I posted, have proof. My sister mentioned the Bible for proof, but(not intending to piss anyone off) it is just a book to me. How does anyone know what really happened when no one even existed before God made us...so to speak. So, to me, The Bible is not proof(again not trying to piss anyone off).

Can we please discuss this? I just want to learn more...

Respectful, peaceful, advice is much appreciated and please do remember the ToS.

Thanks.

Liberal Friend

You're not going to offend anyone here. A number of people here will likely agree with you that the Bible is not evidence for the existence of Yahweh, nor the validity of Jesus' deeds.

Incredible Genius

13,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150
Stating that the bible must be true because the bible says it's true is the same ridiculous argument that could be put into any book. I'll give you an example. Nowhere in J. R. R Tolkeins "The Hobbit" does it state that the story isn't true, but nothing in the history of science has discovered any evidence of dwarves or wargs or elves or orcs or dragons. Just about any reasonable person would tell you that story is fiction. I'd tell you that and I wish that story was true, but I digress. A good work of literature doesn't make the literature factual in any way.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Sir Kyle of Elsewhere
Stating that the bible must be true because the bible says it's true is the same ridiculous argument that could be put into any book. I'll give you an example. Nowhere in J. R. R Tolkeins "The Hobbit" does it state that the story isn't true, but nothing in the history of science has discovered any evidence of dwarves or wargs or elves or orcs or dragons. Just about any reasonable person would tell you that story is fiction. I'd tell you that and I wish that story was true, but I digress. A good work of literature doesn't make the literature factual in any way.

I am open to the thought of anything could or could not be real.
So, how do you know that anything is really "real"?
What is life?
What is reality?
What do we know of that exists?

Incredible Genius

13,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Contributor 150
AngelsDreadedFear
Sir Kyle of Elsewhere

I am open to the thought of anything could or could not be real.
So, how do you know that anything is really "real"?
What is life?
What is reality?
What do we know of that exists?

Reality has mostly been defined by the senses. Can you see it, touch it, taste it, hear it, or smell it? Life is simply all that is conscious and active. In other words, anything that has a will of its own or instincts is living. We know quite a bit of what exists on our world. Granted, on the cosmological scale, that may be very small, but it's what we know, and a basic principal for any reasonable person is to not to buy into something that hasn't been proven.
AngelsDreadedFear
NOTE: I DO NOT INTEND TO ANGER ANYONE ABOUT THIS. I DO NOT MEAN TO OFFEND. THIS IS JUST SOMETHING I AM CURIOUS ABOUT...PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE TOS. THANKS...

So, first off, I am agnostic. I just need proof to believe in God, Jesus, or anything. I had a brief, very brief, discussion with my dad and sister. I do not believe that there is proof of God, Jesus, ect...because I don't, like I posted, have proof. My sister mentioned the Bible for proof, but(not intending to piss anyone off) it is just a book to me. How does anyone know what really happened when no one even existed before God made us...so to speak. So, to me, The Bible is not proof(again not trying to piss anyone off).

Can we please discuss this? I just want to learn more...

Respectful, peaceful, advice is much appreciated and please do remember the ToS.

Thanks.

The Church does not exist because people have seen. The Church exists because people have believed. Have you ever seen the Santa Clause? With Tim Allen? There's a line in it where an elf (Judy) tells Tim Allen that "seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing." I think there is great profound truth in that.
I was once a skeptic, as many are. And in my skepticism, I came to the conclusion that there is not, nor can there be proof of God. For if there was faith would not be a thing. And it is by faith not realization, that we are saved. Many people think they must realize to have faith, but the fact of the matter is faith is the doorway to realization. We all must make a step of faith.

If your looking for the tree, stop. You will never find it. I know you don't believe, but you cant see it unless you have believed it. What you can see is the shadow of the tree. You aught look for that and then decide for yourself if what you see sufficiently looks like the shadow of a tree. But you must still take the leap of faith to say to yourself I think its a tree and not a cardboard cutout.

All that being said, I will give you two (as if I didn't limit myself I would sit here and write a book) points that I think best show this shadow of a tree. For the sake of your question I will use the Bible as my first point. The Bible is a collection of writings from the ancient world dating from about 2500 years bc to about 70 years ad. They were recorded and kept by the Jewish faith until Christ came and then they were kept by the Christian faith.
Its important to know the esteem with which they held the Old Testament. They would teach it to their children who were expected to have memorized the first five books by the time they were teenagers (I think it may be actually be 10 years old tho). They held the name of God in such high esteem that they would only write His name in gold and would bath themselves before they did it so they were ritualistically pure. They numbered every letter that was in the whole of the OT so they knew their copies were an exact reproduction. They would copy it onto leather so that it would last and it would take several months just to make the paper they wrote it on. It was a big deal to them to make sure what they had is what their children had.
There is also the new testament. Compared to other ancient manuscripts it is the most accurate, the most numerous and the nearest the actual time of the publication. There are 24,000 copies of the New testament. Compare that to the second most common which is Homer's Illiad at 643, and then the writings of Cesar at 20 copies. Oh and the earliest Iliad copy is 500 years older than its first written date. The writings of Cesar are 1000 years older than when it was first penned. The earliest NT is only 100 years older than when it was first penned.

The second point is to look outside. Look at the birds in the trees, the trees in the ground. The sun in the sky, with the moon that pulls the sea. Even if you think that its chance, someone had to roll the dice. Mindless or purposeless forces don't give birth to mindful purposed beings. Life does not give birth to death and light does not birth darkness. Nay you can not get light from darkness just like you can not get life from only death. There must have been life to begin with.
From that (speaking of myself now) I had to live with the fact that there was a creator, and now all I had to do was decide what He looked like. So I searched and used the nature of reality as it is to look for him. I saw Him in the ecosystems of remote jungles, in the way in which animals behaved (particularly that there is not hatred in them no thirst for revenge when a lion kills the antelope's fawn). I saw Him in the stars and in the people who hated Him. But most of all I saw Him in someone who loved me when I didn't deserve it. When I hated them, they forgave me and loved me. It blew my mind.
I started to look closer into this "Christianity", and the more I searched the more I saw the strings attached from God to His people and Creation, be they whole or broken strings, I saw them and that the degree to which they were attached or broken lined up with who God is. And eventually, after I had sought and sought and sought, my eyes were opened more and more and more and more until they were opened enough for my life to totally fall apart. It was terrifying, painful and horrible. But it was good. I came through it and wouldn't have changed it for all the money in the world.

Sorry for the length of this, especially given that you wont find your answer in pen and paper. You wont find your answer in a book. You will find your answer in yourself. The answer for me and the answer for you will come about when you reason in your heart that not knowing is not good enough. It will come about when you decide that you will hunt for the truth until the day you day as it is of chief importance. In that decision you will come by your answer as a drops fill a bucket. It will take a lot of hunting and a lot of searching, and eventually it will be full. If you persist in seeking, you will persist in finding. The trick is tho, you must look for Him and not an absence of Him. For whichever you seek, you will find.
Blessings

Shirtless Member

Try shrooms. Apparently it worked for crimsin eyes.

Aside from the bible and the assurances of people who have allowed themselves to be brainwashed into believing that a genocidal being, who sends anyone who doesn't love him to hell, and gives diseases to people who don't love him enough, is an all loving being... There is no proof of Yahweh.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
AngelsDreadedFear
How does anyone know what really happened when no one even existed before God made us...so to speak.

Faith. In other words, people believe what they want to believe.

Prodigal Mage

Xiam
AngelsDreadedFear
How does anyone know what really happened when no one even existed before God made us...so to speak.

People believe what we've been convinced to believe based on social conditioning, personal experiences, researched information, etc. What we want to believe may also coincide with what we do believe, but that's not necessarily always the case.

Example: I'm a highly anxious person. The concept of a powerful God who loves humanity and protects us is comforting to me. I want to believe, but the want isn't enough to make me believe. I haven't encountered the information/experience that would allow me to believe despite my desire for that particular faith.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
haunting heaven
Xiam
AngelsDreadedFear

People believe what we've been convinced to believe based on social conditioning, personal experiences, researched information, etc. What we want to believe may also coincide with what we do believe, but that's not necessarily always the case.

Example: I'm a highly anxious person. The concept of a powerful God who loves humanity and protects us is comforting to me. I want to believe, but the want isn't enough to make me believe. I haven't encountered the information/experience that would allow me to believe despite my desire for that particular faith.

I never said the conscious mind wanted it.

Prodigal Mage

Xiam
haunting heaven
Xiam
AngelsDreadedFear

Explain.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
haunting heaven
Xiam
haunting heaven
Xiam
AngelsDreadedFear

Explain.

Oh for... emotion_facepalm

Alright. You have the conscious and the subconscious mind, right? You never run on a single stream of thoughts. It's not like the movies or TV, where you can hear your inner dialogue. I mean, it is, but somewhere in the back you've got these buzzing thoughts. Pictures, whispers, doubts, emotions, memories. Sometimes they swim up to the surface, and you either take them as part of your conscious thought or you push them back with a fiery torch, or whatever.

So let's say we have you, and a believer. Both of you may harbor doubts about your religion. But they've built up so much value upon their belief that if they allow themselves to admit they were wrong, they undermine years of teachings, followings, rituals, and faith that their notion of reality was the only reality. You, meanwhile, have your own notion of reality - that without a god - and you're coming at odds with it by trying to shove in this foreign notion. And everything in your head is just going "What the ******** is wrong with you?" It's like trying to convince yourself that you can fly when you're teetering off a cliff and every part of you is just saying Yeah, let's just head straight down.

And I'm not sure if any of that made any sense whatsoever. I've never had very good control of the buzzing.

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
haunting heaven
Xiam
AngelsDreadedFear

When I was a little girl my mom forced me to go to church. I had always felt like I did not agree with what was going on and it broke my mom's heart when I told her. She tried so hard to drill it into my head about what "God" really is. And to this day, I still don't agree.

One problem I have with this God is, why make people suffer? Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, etc...Why make them feel like they are in hell(so to speak)? People this way are not happy in life. Why would "God" do this?

OG GO

AngelsDreadedFear

When I was a little girl my mom forced me to go to church. I had always felt like I did not agree with what was going on and it broke my mom's heart when I told her. She tried so hard to drill it into my head about what "God" really is. And to this day, I still don't agree.

One problem I have with this God is, why make people suffer? Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, etc...Why make them feel like they are in hell(so to speak)? People this way are not happy in life. Why would "God" do this?
Free will is a hell of a thing. The choice to choose, the choice to have faith or not.

For some reason i like the saying that the devil ((Or maybe doubt)) is in the details.. By which I think I mean. We shouldn't over think it, maybe it's more simple than we make it. Again free will factors in, we are not designed to be forced to believe anything, but we do force others to believe what we want. I don't know, just free will..

Prodigal Mage

Xiam
haunting heaven
Xiam
haunting heaven
Xiam

Explain.

Oh for... emotion_facepalm

Are you upset that I asked for an explanation?

Quote:
Alright. You have the conscious and the subconscious mind, right? You never run on a single stream of thoughts. It's not like the movies or TV, where you can hear your inner dialogue. I mean, it is, but somewhere in the back you've got these buzzing thoughts. Pictures, whispers, doubts, emotions, memories. Sometimes they swim up to the surface, and you either take them as part of your conscious thought or you push them back with a fiery torch, or whatever.

So let's say we have you, and a believer. Both of you may harbor doubts about your religion.

Atheism still isn't a religion, but okay.

Quote:
But they've built up so much value upon their belief that if they allow themselves to admit they were wrong, they undermine years of teachings, followings, rituals, and faith that their notion of reality was the only reality.

So, is this basically bias? That even if someone doubts something, they'll subconsciously fight that doubt because the desire to believe in spite of doubt? Because I'm willing to concede that wanting to believe something (as well as already believing something) will cause a certain amount of bias when it comes to the kind of information you accept, and that bias is not always a conscious process.

Quote:
You, meanwhile, have your own notion of reality - that without a god - and you're coming at odds with it by trying to shove in this foreign notion.

The foreign notion being...?

Quote:
And everything in your head is just going "What the ******** is wrong with you?" It's like trying to convince yourself that you can fly when you're teetering off a cliff and every part of you is just saying Yeah, let's just head straight down.

I hope you're just referring to example me, because this doesn't really describe real me.

All in all, my main question at the moment is this:

Are you saying that since I don't believe, that subconsciously I must not want to believe?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff