Welcome to Gaia! ::

Zukki
the_nonexisting
I belive this part in the pledge is unconstitutional and should be eliminated. I also think "In god we trust" should be removed from money. It makes America look like a christian nation and though a majority are, it offends people who DON'T belive in god, like me.

I've been refusing to stand up for the pledge every morning at school and have been told to get "special permission" from my parent. Is this allowed? I need some opinions and please refrain from insulting me or others who post here.

It's part of America's heritage, so suck it up and deal with it.

No, it isn't. "under God" was added to the pledge in 1954 (give or take a year), the same year that "One nation under God" became the U.S.'s co-motto along with E Plurirbus Unum.
I dont see how Saying the word God would offend anyone. If you dont believe in God, than God is just a word. I think people who want to take it out just want to make a statement and have their names put in a history book.

Our country was founded on the basis of religion. People came here for religious freedom. I have the freedome to say "one nation under God". I have the right to do that. If you dont want to say it, then take God out. Its just a word, get over it.
the_nonexisting
I belive this part in the pledge is unconstitutional and should be eliminated. I also think "In god we trust" should be removed from money. It makes America look like a christian nation and though a majority are, it offends people who DON'T belive in god, like me.

I've been refusing to stand up for the pledge every morning at school and have been told to get "special permission" from my parent. Is this allowed? I need some opinions and please refrain from insulting me or others who post here.
"one nation under God" has been here as long as America. It represents us and what we once beleived in, and it gives the smidgeon of respect we show to God.
Kae tea
the_nonexisting

"one nation under God" has been here as long as America. It represents us and what we once beleived in, and it gives the smidgeon of respect we show to God.

Read my post. The original text of the pledge of alligience was "one nation, indivisible...". "under God" was only added in the 50's because we wanted to differentiate ourselves from the atheistic communists of the Soviet Union.
Tangled Up In Blue
Kae tea
the_nonexisting

Read my post. The original text of the pledge of alligience was "one nation, indivisible...". "under God" was only added in the 50's because we wanted to differentiate ourselves from the atheistic communists of the Soviet Union.
yes that is true and why does it offend you if someone says under god?
tallfraekonleash
Tangled Up In Blue
Kae tea
the_nonexisting

It doesn't. I'm just correcting an incorrect statement. Don't read too far into things.
Tangled Up In Blue
tallfraekonleash
Tangled Up In Blue
Kae tea
the_nonexisting

It doesn't. I'm just correcting and incorrect statement. Don't read too far into things.
O I was talking to the thread maker sorry. whee
I don't like that it is said. I wish it would go back to the original way, or be gotten rid of completely. Life would be much easier. I know I can not do anything for this right now and I am choosing not to try. I just sit during it and continue with what I'm doing. That's all it takes. People notice that. I think that some people will be willing to help change things if they know they aren't the only ones on their side. Maybe more people will stay seated. Maybe not.
I dont believe in god either but it doesn't offend me. It is not really meant to be offensive. Since most religions involve a god of some sort, even yours. Yes you do have a god. So do I. I don't like it but such cannot be helped. You may consider god as some random idea made up by a bunch of crackpot drug addicts and lunatics but the idea is still existent and therefore god is existent. Perhaps not as a higher being, but at least as an idea. Just like Christianity cannot exist without some sort of evil, lack of belief in god cannot exist without a god to believe in. No one is trying to offend you. This country was founded by people who believed in god. Taking god out of the pledge etc. because it offends those who do not believe in god (mind you, a small percentage and even fewer are offended by it) is just inconsiderate foolishness.
the_nonexisting

I definitely agree on removing the "In God We Trust" thing, I'm not Christian either. And like you said, although the majority of Americans are Christian, it can offend people who aren't.
Every morning, I am the only one who says the pledge (And I don't even like America razz ) but I always skip the part about god. o.0
I spend money too fast to really care for the lines "In God We Trust". IMO, it seems kinda blasphemous/ironic to put that line on money anyway.
I just like to point out that taking 'Under God' out of the pledge may offend all the people who DO want it there. I believe that if you don't like it, then don't say it.

And also for the money issue, it would be practically impossible to take it off the money because what would you do about all the money that already has it on it? You can't just not use it, it would still be in circulation forever.
I'm Catholic and well some of me thinks it should be off but some of me says to keep it so im really twisted
the_nonexisting

I believe those very things should be removed from their imposing place in government and government-oriented institutions (i.e. school). But to refuse to stand seems, to me, to be rude. Even if you do not agree, you should still show respect to the country that allows you to speak your mind and has given you so many other rights that others only dream of. Have you ever watched the Olympics? When one country's national anthem is sung or played, what does everyone in the audience do, no matter their nationality? They all stand. And so should you.
ClioMouse
the_nonexisting

I believe those very things should be removed from their imposing place in government and government-oriented institutions (i.e. school). But to refuse to stand seems, to me, to be rude. Even if you do not agree, you should still show respect to the country that allows you to speak your mind and has given you so many other rights that others only dream of. Have you ever watched the Olympics? When one country's national anthem is sung or played, what does everyone in the audience do, no matter their nationality? They all stand. And so should you.

The national anthem is not the pledge of allegiance, they are different. The anthem does not invoke any diety either.

It is not rude to not stand for the pledge. People should understand your choice to stand or not to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff