Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who wants to participate? smile

I have a list of questions here. You can pick atleast 2 of the 10 questions to answer. You can answer more if you want or if youre feeling really intelligent you can answer them all. Lets see if we can get them all answered.

It should be fun right? Lets play a game.

Note:
Try to answer at least 2 questions but you can answer as many as you'd like
If making a claim, it would be great if sources could be cited.

1. Which came first? Time, Space, Matter or energy?

2.Where did the necessary materials to create the universe come from and
where did they exist if there was no space?

3. Where did life originally come from if it can not appear spontaneously?

4. Which came first? Male or Female?

5. Why do we find petrified trees standing up through millions of years worth of geological layers?

6. What were the first elements to be formed?

7. When and how did the stars come to be?

8. When did the laws of nature(i.e. Gravity) first come into effect?

9. How did the DNA code originate?

10. How did the universe start (please provide specified details)?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
I'll do my best to answer these, though, just a warning, I was terrible at science, so I'll probably be doing a lot of googling for the ones I'm not quite sure of.

Quote:

Hard to say, but if I had to guess...time. Personally, I see time as more of a concept rather than a thing, so, to me, it would just make sense that, while we probably wouldn't be able to quantify it, there would always be time before the space, matter or energy.

Quote:

No one knows, and its likely that we'll never know. Currently, we can only examine so far back, and the best explanation that we have based on the evidence, the big bang theory, only examines what happens with the matter...it never explains where it came from.

Quote:

Look up abiogenesis, which, I'll warn, it's not a scientific theory yet, but we have proved that the idea is possible. But I think the issue with your question is the "spontaneously" part. It happened pretty gradually.

Quote:

Had to google it, but it's kind of what I figured the answer would be, at least, judging by the answers I've seen. What I've seen is that the answer is most likely women.

Quote:
5. Why do we find petrified trees standing up through millions of years worth of geological layers?

Probably had strong enough roots to support its weight even after it stopped living...at least, that's my guess without doing a lick of research into it.

Quote:

Another one I had to look up. From what I saw, it seems to be hydrogen, helium, lithium, and beryllium.

Quote:

Webpage Title I'll point out as well that it seems a lot of these questions probably could have been answered by doing google searches, though, that's only if you were just looking for the answers yourself.

Quote:

With my limited knowledge on the subject, I'd say sometime before the formation of planets and stars.

Quote:

I think this relates back to the whole abiogenesis idea, which again, isn't a theory yet. So, short answer, I don't think anyone currently knows, however, this is one we probably could answer given time and research.

Quote:

Here's a pretty bare bones article on it. Note: It's for kids, but I'm not posting it to insult you or anything...I just find that an article for kids is just easier to grasp for people of all literacy of science.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Rumblestiltskin

Quote:

Look up abiogenesis, which, I'll warn, it's not a scientific theory yet, but we have proved that the idea is possible. But I think the issue with your question is the "spontaneously" part. It happened pretty gradually.

Do you know if there are any more recent experiments that prove the concept? I ask, because this usually is supported by the Urey-Miller experiment, but the results of this experiment have been discredited.

Quote:

It's perhaps more complicated than this as there are many more primitive sexual systems such as seen in micro-organisms were asexual or sexual reproduction can occur and rather than having explicit sexes a +/- system is used. Also, throw hermaphrodites into the equation and the whole thing becomes more confusing. That said, the generally accepted definition for a female is an organism that brings forth offspring and since by that definition organisms capable of asexual reproduction are all female, so my money is on 'ladies first,' being more literal than we thought!

Quote:

There is the idea that before DNA all life on earth used RNA as the hereditary unit. RNA is considerably more interesting versatile then DNA and plays a number of roles in the cell. This is called the RNA World Hypothesis. It seems to have been losing popularity in recent years but the idea is that organisms that made the switch from RNA to DNA had an advantage as DNA is a much more stable molecule.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
M E C H A N I C A R M
Do you know if there are any more recent experiments that prove the concept? I ask, because this usually is supported by the Urey-Miller experiment, but the results of this experiment have been discredited.

No it hasn't. While they didn't use the exact conditions for the earth at the time, it explains why they didn't get the exact building blocks for life that we ended up with...but the experiment was still relatively successful considering they proved that it was possible. The fact is we may never know the exact conditions of the earth so that we could reproduce the exact same results, but the experiment has FAR from been discredited, no matter how many times creationists try to assert otherwise.
Alluring_Mystique

Unresolved.

Quote:

Unresolved.

Quote:

Unresolved. Hypothesised development of molecules into self-replicating proteins to basic forms of life.

Quote:

As an example.

Quote:

They have high hardness.

Quote:

Hydrogen and helium. Then lithium, beryllium. So on, and so forth.

Quote:

The tendency of gravity, billions of years ago, and since.

Quote:

Gravity is not the only one.

Unresolved.

Quote:

Complicatedly.

Quote:

Unresolved.

Wheezing Genius

5,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Rumblestiltskin

No it hasn't. While they didn't use the exact conditions for the earth at the time, it explains why they didn't get the exact building blocks for life that we ended up with...but the experiment was still relatively successful considering they proved that it was possible. The fact is we may never know the exact conditions of the earth so that we could reproduce the exact same results, but the experiment has FAR from been discredited, no matter how many times creationists try to assert otherwise.

I was under the impression that the results were due to contamination, however after a brief literature search the conclusions seem unclear. It seems however, that the experiments have been repeated and modern analytical methods can detect lower levels of amino acids suggesting it was after all possible.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm not a scientist.
I'm barely a teacher.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Quote:
This is what I think so Christians, Please no "jesus" stuff. as I'm a Satanist.

1. Which came first? Time, Space, Matter or energy? -Energy

where did they exist if there was no space? - Matter & Energy

3. Where did life originally come from if it can not appear spontaneously? - Big Bang

4. Which came first? Male or Female? - Female I believe. Because Females make males.

5. Why do we find petrified trees standing up through millions of years worth of geological layers? - ?

6. What were the first elements to be formed? - Metal, Water And Air

7. When and how did the stars come to be? - Big Bang & Energy

8. When did the laws of nature(i.e. Gravity) first come into effect? - When a planet decided to have it's own polls.

9. How did the DNA code originate? - Small life forms

10. How did the universe start (please provide specified details)? - Big Bang. However, IdK xD

Desirable Shapeshifter

16,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Alluring_Mystique
Who wants to participate? smile

I have a list of questions here. You can pick atleast 2 of the 10 questions to answer. You can answer more if you want or if youre feeling really intelligent you can answer them all. Lets see if we can get them all answered.

It should be fun right? Lets play a game.

Note:
Try to answer at least 2 questions but you can answer as many as you'd like
If making a claim, it would be great if sources could be cited.

1. Which came first? Time, Space, Matter or energy? -space

where did they exist if there was no space? -space, because without space there can be no movement, and without movement, there can be no energy, and without energy, there can be no matter, and without movement there can be no time

3. Where did life originally come from if it can not appear spontaneously? life is merely a construct humans have attributed to matter that appears to move on its own. appearances can be decieving, since how is a tree moving on its own? why do crystals grow? why do viruses have no respiration system? why is a rock dead, yet made of petrified trees?

4. Which came first? Male or Female? -which creature reproduced from which is irrelevent. is an ameba male or female? they self replicate. technically they both arrived at the same time.

5. Why do we find petrified trees standing up through millions of years worth of geological layers? -the possibilities are endless, but perhaps the most obvious possibility would be volcanic, meteoric or other types of ash forming around said tree.

6. What were the first elements to be formed? -i'd imagine the most simple ones - hydrogen, helium, lithium and berylium (or perhaps the reverse if you ascribe to the 'big bang' theory, at one point every single neutron, proton and electron may have been part of a singular periodic 'element' which likely broke apart into smaller 'elements' as it decays).

7. When and how did the stars come to be? -no idea. could the 'big bang' be considered a star that went super-nova upon creation? who knows.

8. When did the laws of nature(i.e. Gravity) first come into effect? -probably the instant more than one separate object began to exist in space.

9. How did the DNA code originate? -primordial soup

10. How did the universe start (please provide specified details)? -not the slightest clue. if you ascribe to the big bang theory, it appeared rather suddenly. christan theories are a bit different, or perhaps the entire universe is merely on the back of a giant turtle that swims through space, devouring anti-matter jellifish.

Liberal Friend

I'm ready to fail. Grade me without holding back.

They all did.

The big bang occurred, which could be compared to someone blowing air into a balloon and the space expanded and still is expanding to this day. The materials were part of that and formed over time to make the elements we know of today.

Inorganic material.

The single-celled organism.

I don't know how this occurred.

I don't know. I'll just throw out helium and hydrogen and probably some other element.

After gravity started working its magic, coalescing the gases in the Universe.

Some time after Planck's time?

I don't know.

Supposedly from an infinitesimal and very dense point, which I think Stephen Hawking no longer agrees with, due to the use of general relativity for the singularity.

Zealot

They all began simultaneously.

2. Where did the necessary materials to create the universe come from and where did they exist if there was no space?
No one knows.

A complex mixture of organic molecules in a water solution.

I think it would be a lot more complicated labelling the first organisms capable of sexual reproduction either a male or female.

There are many reasons this could happen, but I don't really have a speciality in petrified trees or stratigraphy.

Hydrogen and Helium. The heavier elements were fused by stars.

After the Big Bang we had clouds of hydrogen, which under the influence of each other via gravity, would attract to one another. The more you attract in, the denser it gets in the centre. You get to a certain point the pressure in the core will heat the atoms, and this will lead to the fusion of hydrogen into helium.

Assumptively soon after the big bang, along with the other fundamental forces. Matter at this stage still had gravitational attraction, but it was quickly overcome by inflation, which stopped all the matter coalescing straight away as it does when forming stars or planets.

Its hotly debated that it was preceded by RNA, which can function as a catalyst in protein formation, unlike DNA. RNA was likely in the earliest of organisms as a way to store the sequence to produce certain proteins, and as catalyst within these reactions. The RNA itself would have likely been a component of the primordial soup.

No one knows. It just did.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Alluring_Mystique

Time and energy, assuming time "came into being" at any point.
Quote:

They existed in the form of energy; matter can be converted into energy, and vice versa. Energy has no spatial dimensions, so it can exist as a singularity.
Quote:

Ooh, that is a long one. Why don't I just...

It's only 10 minutes.
Quote:

Neither, or if you'd rather, both.
Asexual reproduction, followed by direct exchanges of DNA, made somewhat more complicated into hermaphroditic reproduction, then finally, the elimination of one set of reproductive genitalia on each "gender."
Quote:

Because the trees are actually standing through all that deposition.
You'd be surprised how long a tree made out of rock can stand when deposition, rather than erosion, is what's happening.
Quote:

Hydrogen and helium.
Quote:

Gravity pulls the hydrogen and helium together. The pressure and heat builds until they start fusing. Once fusion happens, you've got a star.
Quote:

The law of gravity originated sometime in the mid 1680's.
I know that's not what you meant, but laws are actually just "general observations" about the universe. They're not explanations for how things work.

Gravity is bent space-time. I would assume the origin of gravity coincides with the origin of space, which for the purposes of this discuission, is one planck time after the big bang.

Quote:

I think I covered that one already in the video. It's just a more complicated form of the RNA primitive cells used.

Quote:

The universe as we know it started presumably as a singularity. A very small fraction of a second later, space-time starts propagating, which allows the energy density to become low enough to form quarks. By the first second, hadrons and leptons had formed. By the end of the first 10 seconds, most of the anti-particles had annihilated, leaving us with the protons and electrons we've got today.

For the first few hundred thousand years, no big changes after that; too much photonic energy. You will occasionally get helium forming from hydrogen fusion.

After this, the ionic hydrogen and helium pairs up with electrons, becoming neutrally charged. This suddenly allows light free passage through the universe, forming the cosmic microwave background.

Following that, a few hundred million years of near blackness, until gravity starts pulling the hydrogen and helium together, forming stars.

... Further reflection leads me to think you were asking what caused the big bang to happen. The answer is, physics as we know it breaks at the big bang singularity. We don't know.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Mea quidem sententia

Inorganic material.

Organic material.

"Organic" doesn't mean that it's alive, it means it's carbon based, the sort of molecules life on earth relies upon. The fatty acids and rna you need to start up life are all "organic molecules."
Quote:

Supposedly from an infinitesimal and very dense point, which I think Stephen Hawking no longer agrees with, due to the use of general relativity for the singularity.

It seems his present model is one of oscillation. If you reverse time, and go look at the big bang, he thinks it'll collapse to an almost singularity, then expand into a "previous" universe.

It's clear that none of these could have come first since they are all interdependent phenomena.

2.Where did the necessary materials to create the universe come from and where did they exist if there was no space?

There is no evidence that the universe has not always existed.

Gradual accumulation of inorganic precursors.

Again, it's an error to ask which came first of any binary where one term automatically presumes the necessity of its counterpart.

This is a question only a creationist would ask.

Hydrogen, since it's the simplest one.

From accumulations of primordial hydrogen as soon as the universe had cooled down to permit it.

That there was some point when the laws of nature were not in effect has not been established.

I have no idea but I do know that "God" as an answer is worse than useless.

There is no evidence that the universe has not always existed, only evidence that it has changed its form.

Please note what you're asking is pretty much equivalent to asking when existence first started existing.
Not matter. Matter wasn't formed until after the universe "cooled" enough for it to condense out of the ultra-high energy that was already present. So far as I know Energy and Spacetime both existed as far back as anyone knows (roughly one trillionth of a second after the big bang).

Dunno. Who says there was no space? No one knows what was "before" the beginning of the universe, or if that's even a valid question (it could be like asking what's north of the north pole).

Which is why it appeared gradually. Amino acids are fairly common natural chemicals, they formed chains of early self-replicating semi-proteins like molecules through random combination, likely some of those got trapped in semi-permiable lipid bubbles that form fairly easily on their own. This wouldn't be anything like the life we know today, but that's because all life today is a product of billions of years of selection.

Neither. Asexual replicators came first, and are still by far the most common replicators today. Some multicellular organisms developed specialized sex organs, and hermaphroditic sexuality was next, this is also still common. Strict seperation of male and female roles evolved because doing so increases the probability of diverse offspring and so better allows for rapid evolution compared to other methods.

There are these things called rivers. They often cut through multiple layers of earth. A tree that gets buried in a river flood can easily appear to cut through strata if you don't know what you're looking at.

Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, and traces of other light elements.

See above. Those light elements condense due to gravity, and when they get large enough to fuse hydrogen a star is born.

Dunno. They might be products of the universes formation, or they might be more fundamental to existence itself.

It evolved from early protein/RNA codes.

If you mean what caused the big bang, I don't know, and neither do you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff