Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Kuurokocchi
I assume you're an aetheist?
Since you didn't quote anyone, I'm curious who you're asking this question of.

That said: Why does it matter? if Person X is an atheist or not? Does that somehow make their opinion or experiences less valid or personally useful to you?

Ty_Takeda's Waifu

Bloodsucker

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Hikarulawl
Well I hope you're not the jealous type. Most Mormons are big on polygamy. So best start getting use to sharing him with other women.

MOST? Um, last I checked polygamy isn't the most popular thing these days and considering I live in a town that is almost 3/4 LDS and I've never met any polygamists out of the bunch, that statement is not very true. : /

Arcoon Effox
Kuurokocchi

That said: Why does it matter? if Person X is an atheist or not? Does that somehow make their opinion or experiences less valid or personally useful to you?

It does not matter, but when someone who is such goes ahead and bashes on any sort of religion is being a total jerk. I'm all fine with you being an aetheist, but that doesn't really give you the right to bash on those who are religious by calling them cults and what not.
Kuurokocchi
Hikarulawl
Well I hope you're not the jealous type. Most Mormons are big on polygamy. So best start getting use to sharing him with other women.

MOST? Um, last I checked polygamy isn't the most popular thing these days and considering I live in a town that is almost 3/4 LDS and I've never met any polygamists out of the bunch, that statement is not very true. : /

Arcoon Effox
Kuurokocchi

It does not matter, but when someone who is such goes ahead and bashes on any sort of religion is being a total jerk. I'm all fine with you being an aetheist, but that doesn't really give you the right to bash on those who are religious by calling them cults and what not.

What about to criticize? I myself am a Christian and I don't believe any religion or belief should be exempt from criticism, even mine, and for good reason, i'll get to that in the next paragraph. People love to throw out words they only know half the meaning of, and even less the care of the impact is has. Unfortunately the unlearned throw around words without proper study and diligent reading.

A belief is what makes up who a person is and defines how they will react to the world, and if their belief system teaches wrong doing, then it ought to have the right to be criticized if not worse. However, I am not advocating rudeness or hate toward people at all, but I do think for example that Nazism should not be exempt from criticism because it too is a belief.

But this is a deep issue, because who now defines what is morally right or wrong? That is a rhetorical question.

Anyway, I am not bringing up a debate, since I think that would be rude and off topic to your thread, that is just my two cents. smile

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Kuurokocchi
Hikarulawl

Blame his Christianity. Most Christians are "taught" by their churches that Mormons are a wicked cult who perform creepy rituals in secret and marry themselves to multiple children, which is all untrue... except for the 'rituals in secret' thing, which their founder ripped off from Freemasonry.

If a Mormon is practicing polygamy, then that person is not actually part of the LDS church itself, but one of the splinter-offshoots of it who call themselves "fundamentalists".
Kuurokocchi
Arcoon Effox
Kuurokocchi

It does not matter, but when someone who is such goes ahead and bashes on any sort of religion is being a total jerk. I'm all fine with you being an atheist, but that doesn't really give you the right to bash on those who are religious by calling them cults and whatnot.
Anyone has the right to truly criticize any given religion, so long as they're legitimately criticizing it rather than simply dumping on a certain one, or while implying that theirs is somehow "better" than others, or whatever. In that respect, it's no different than a critic reviewing a movie.

Ty_Takeda's Waifu

Bloodsucker

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
That's what I'm saying. I don't like it when aetheists or any other group for that matter bashes in a way that says, oh my belief is better than yours and you're stupid to believe in God or what have you. That's the message I was getting from Angry's comment, so I felt I needed to speak up.

But yeah, anyway, enough arguing please. Totally not what intended for this thread...

Thanks for your guys' input.

Floppy Member

Kuurokocchi
Hikarulawl

Arcoon Effox
Kuurokocchi

This gets really old, so please take the heat that's coming your way as the inevitable result of literally addressing the same damn issue over and over and over ad nauseam for years and years.

arrow If it really didn't matter to you, you would have had no purpose for saying it. Clearly, it mattered enough to say it.

arrow Arcoon is right. If the argument is valid, it doesn't matter what the person making the argument believes or lacks belief in.

arrow Religion is a NON-SENTIENT CONCEPT. It cannot matter for it to be "bashed" because it doesn't have FEELINGS to be INJURED.

arrow As such, religion can and will be criticized as much as any other non-sentient concept. Religion DOES NOT get a free pass out of criticism and ridicule simply because the adherents cannot comprehend that individuals are not, in fact, their religion.

arrow If the religious cannot separate their own egos from their belief systems, that is not the fault of the person criticizing the religion. It is a sign that there is psychological enmeshment, which would be a damn good reason to criticize the ways in which that religion is perpetuated. A psychologically healthy person knows where they end and their belief system begins.

arrow The word was "cult-like", which is a description of functioning, not a replacement label. Please learn the difference.

arrow To call a religion cult-like is a valid observation. At what point does a religion become a cult? That depends upon the person doing the talking. Mormonism is particularly cult-like in function.

arrow The rules of this forum plainly state that anybody may respond to any thread. Your dislike for the opinions of atheists can and will be disregarded, as it is assumed that you have read and understood the rules by virtue of your posting here.

That being said, I have read and listened to a great deal of "Forman" opinions. I would suggest that you look closely into that belief system for what is really believed at the core before beginning to excuse the surface beliefs. That religion is a whole box of nonsense, regardless of how many lovely people follow it.

I'll just leave this here...

Ty_Takeda's Waifu

Bloodsucker

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
The Legendary Guest
Kuurokocchi
Hikarulawl

Arcoon Effox
Kuurokocchi

This gets really old, so please take the heat that's coming your way as the inevitable result of literally addressing the same damn issue over and over and over ad nauseam for years and years.

arrow If it really didn't matter to you, you would have had no purpose for saying it. Clearly, it mattered enough to say it.

arrow Arcoon is right. If the argument is valid, it doesn't matter what the person making the argument believes or lacks belief in.

arrow Religion is a NON-SENTIENT CONCEPT. It cannot matter for it to be "bashed" because it doesn't have FEELINGS to be INJURED.

arrow As such, religion can and will be criticized as much as any other non-sentient concept. Religion DOES NOT get a free pass out of criticism and ridicule simply because the adherents cannot comprehend that individuals are not, in fact, their religion.

arrow If the religious cannot separate their own egos from their belief systems, that is not the fault of the person criticizing the religion. It is a sign that there is psychological enmeshment, which would be a damn good reason to criticize the ways in which that religion is perpetuated. A psychologically healthy person knows where they end and their belief system begins.

arrow The word was "cult-like", which is a description of functioning, not a replacement label. Please learn the difference.

arrow To call a religion cult-like is a valid observation. At what point does a religion become a cult? That depends upon the person doing the talking. Mormonism is particularly cult-like in function.

arrow The rules of this forum plainly state that anybody may respond to any thread. Your dislike for the opinions of atheists can and will be disregarded, as it is assumed that you have read and understood the rules by virtue of your posting here.

That being said, I have read and listened to a great deal of "Forman" opinions. I would suggest that you look closely into that belief system for what is really believed at the core before beginning to excuse the surface beliefs. That religion is a whole box of nonsense, regardless of how many lovely people follow it.

I'll just leave this here...

The one comment that bothers me the most about what you've stated is the fact that you think that I hate all things stated by aetheists. That is not true, whatsoever. I may have asked if he was one, but by no means was I going to use it as a force of hate. As if I have not reiterated it enough, I really don't care what you are, I was simply curious as to what the "driving" force behind his comments were, or in other words, why he was making said comments. That's cool that you are one, but that doesn't mean I have to just sit back and take the comments. And let it be known, that I am Christian, but not as avid of one as others. However, that being said, I do not appreciate it when mine or again, any other one is criticized. Yes, a religion does not have feelings, but that does not mean that those who follow it don't and as such, we have a right to defend what we believe in and this fact is not limited to just religion, but any sort of "belief" a person may have. Even chefs defend what is said against their food and why they chose what they did sometimes, so I don't see why this is so different.

Floppy Member

Kuurokocchi
The one comment that bothers me the most about what you've stated is the fact that you think that I hate all things stated by aetheists.

Please point to where I said that I think you hate all things stated by atheists (you're spelling it wrong, by the way). Can you do that?

I know the answer to that in advance, but I want you to seriously go back and see if you can find where I actually said what you're claiming. There is a reason for this.

Quote:
That is not true, whatsoever.

Now that you've had a chance to go back and look at what I actually said again, I can properly address the rest of what you're saying. Your inability to reason is showing here, and I am going to demonstrate that to you. You are at this point in the process of setting up a strawman.

Quote:
I may have asked if he was one, but by no means was I going to use it as a force of hate.

Again, did I mention at any time that your intention was to introduce what might be - and I am guessing what you mean here, because it is not, in fact, stated clearly - "the mention of atheism" as a force of hate?

The answer to this is also one I know in advance. I said nothing of the sort, in the first instance or in this one. By misrepresenting what I said, you have erected a strawman argument to burn in place of what I actually said. This is logically fallacious, in that the intended purpose of burning a strawman is the desire to avoid what is actually being presented and divert the attention to what the person erecting the strawman believes he is best able to defend.

In short, it's dishonest. You're not addressing what I said. You're substituting something else, possibly based upon your emotional reaction to being challenged, but there may be other reasons. You need to consider very carefully what those reasons might be, because they are what is clouding your ability to think rationally.

Quote:
As if I have not reiterated it enough, I really don't care what you are, I was simply curious as to what the "driving" force behind his comments were, or in other words, why he was making said comments.

This demonstrates a significant misunderstanding of what atheism actually is, which is not uncommon in society. This does not make it any less incorrect for being a common misunderstanding, mind you. Atheism is a lack of belief. An absence, if you will. An absence is not something that could operate as a driving force.

Quote:
That's cool that you are one, but that doesn't mean I have to just sit back and take the comments.

It also does not mean that you have to resort to strawmanning the responses you do get.

Quote:
And let it be known, that I am Christian, but not as avid of one as others.

I respect your right to hold a belief that you think is true. I do not respect religions, however, and the degree to which you are "avid" is irrelevant to me. How avidly one believes in something for which there is insufficient evidence matters not.

Quote:
However, that being said, I do not appreciate it when mine or again, any other one is criticized.

Do you think you appreciate it more or less than I appreciate having my argument strawmanned and atheism misrepresented? Are you under the mistaken impression that as a religious person your indignation is somehow more valid than mine?

Quote:
Yes, a religion does not have feelings, but that does not mean that those who follow it don't and as such, we have a right to defend what we believe in and this fact is not limited to just religion, but any sort of "belief" a person may have.

At no time did I claim that people do not have feelings. If you cannot separate yourself emotionally from a concept, you need to address that elsewhere. I for one am not going to go easy on your argument when it's fallacious just because you happen to hold a belief as dear. Your persistence in burning strawmen rather than addressing my points logically offends my reason. The difference between you and me is that I understand the difference between attacking me and attacking my reasoning.

Quote:
Even chefs defend what is said against their food and why they chose what they did sometimes, so I don't see why this is so different.

It is not even similar and your choice to compare cooking to holding a religious belief allows for an excellent demonstration of the difference. I am considered to be a rather good cook myself. It is reasonable to be personally invested to something I have created using my own hands, which displays my own creativity and skills, but if someone does not like my food that is not a criticism of me as a person because it is a matter of personal opinion based upon what we know to be a variable human sense of taste. I also know that cooking is demonstrably chemical in nature, and if you choose the incorrect combinations of chemicals your recipe will fail. If I have made errors in cooking that can be improved upon, in technique or choice of ingredients or something of that nature, criticism should be welcomed as it can possibly improve my own abilities.

There is a significant difference between skill at chemistry and ancient belief systems which have been passed down and enforced by others which have no basis in fact. Your example is very poor and logically absurd. A chef is not a preacher, and he who eats because he must eat in order to live as a result of being a mammal is not similar to he who believes in things which are not demonstrably real.

“When you are studying any matter or considering any philosophy, ask yourself only: what are the facts, and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted by what you wish to believe but look only and surely at what are the facts.“ -- Bertrand Russell.

Ty_Takeda's Waifu

Bloodsucker

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I am over this ******** conversation. All I'm saying is that I am sick up people criticizing things such as religion and I am being hounded at for saying my opinion, something that I'm am free to ******** express. I'm done with this thread. I see now that this was the wrong place to ask a question about my personal life and I have come to the realize that arguing over the internet is completely pointless and stupid. Thank you to the very few that actually tried to advise me with my problem, which was the real reason for this thread. To those who did not, well, thanks too I guess. I'll just take it for what it's worth.

Good night.

And sure, I'll take the heat for bringing the argumentation aspect upon myself, if those who are just dying to hear me say it. I'm so glad that I was able to make you feel a little better about yourselves. Congrats. You're so awesome for proving an 18 year old college freshman wrong. Again, congrats. You must feel like you are on top of the world.

Floppy Member

Kuurokocchi
I am over this ******** conversation. All I'm saying is that I am sick up people criticizing things such as religion and I am being hounded at for saying my opinion, something that I'm am free to ******** express. I'm done with this thread. I see now that this was the wrong place to ask a question about my personal life and I have come to the realize that arguing over the internet is completely pointless and stupid. Thank you to the very few that actually tried to advise me with my problem, which was the real reason for this thread. To those who did not, well, thanks too I guess. I'll just take it for what it's worth.

Good night.

And sure, I'll take the heat for bringing the argumentation aspect upon myself, if those who are just dying to hear me say it. I'm so glad that I was able to make you feel a little better about yourselves. Congrats. You're so awesome for proving an 18 year old college freshman wrong. Again, congrats. You must feel like you are on top of the world.

I don't feel the slightest bit guilty, if that's what you're trying to provoke here. Take this as a learning experience. You are correct - in the wrong place for advice (that would be more properly posted in Lifestyle Discussion, as opposed to a subforum of the ED, which is specifically for argument and debate) and you are free to express your opinion. We are free to disagree with it and expect that you support your reasoning behind it as long as you are in the ED.

For what it's worth, you might want to take this to one of your professors and explain how at least one person tried to explain logical fallacies to you. You may be called upon to learn about them as you progress through college and it might be wise to begin now rather than later. Logic and reason will get you much better grades than fallacies and emotional appeals. You can learn from this, if you step back from the sting you're experiencing right now. I hope that you do and wish you luck as you go through life.

Ty_Takeda's Waifu

Bloodsucker

10,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I actually know what logical fallacies are because I learned about them in AP English 11, but obviously I'm not going to take the time to remember every single one of them right then and there. Call me whatever you want, but I'll accept that fact that I'm not the brightest person in the world, so there.

And no, I was not trying to provoke guilt, because it's apparent that you wouldn't feel that way anyway.

Best regards,

The Idiot Freshman

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas