Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Sex Symbol

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I'm 16, and an atheist, and one day I asked myself the following:

'Why is there evil? If the god portrayed by Christians, Catholics and various other religions is so "benevolent" and "forgiving", why does evil happen?'

*EDIT: Let me give "evil" the most kindergarten definition I can.
"Bad stuff happening to good people, or better yet, people who have done no moral or physical wrong/harm to others prerequisite."
It's an often posed question in M&R, but it's a pretty easy one for most theists to answer. Usually along the lines of combing the idea of "freewill" with the statements, "Humans are sinful. God doesn't want us to suffer from evil or be in pain, but it's our nature that causes this. He cannot help us if we do not follow His Word."

Yadda, yadda. I think it's better to examine the specifics and consequences good/evil rather than to ask why "God lets it exist."

For example,

- Defining what specifically is good, and what is evil?
- How do we respond to situations that are good for some, but evil for others?
- Why is good/evil not correlated with religious belief? i.e. Why do non-Christians experience the same levels of good/evil things in their life, and are no more/less happier than Christians?
- Etc.
Catholics are Christians, do not make that mistake again.

Evil? For the constraints of this; what is evil?

Zealot

Comme les enfants
'Why is there evil? If the god portrayed by Christians, Catholics and various other religions is so "benevolent" and "forgiving", why does evil happen?'
I never really understood this question. Why would a God that considers himself to be benevolent and forgiving not allow for the existence of evil. Why are we dictating to God what benevolence and forgiveness are? Is benevolence even meaningful in a world devoid of evil?

Fashionable Genius

7,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Tyger, Tyger,
Burning bright,
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye,
Can frame thy fearful symmetry?

There is no darkness without light, good without evil. Neither can exist without categorizing something into the other.
Legato of the Night
There is no darkness without light, good without evil. Neither can exist without categorizing something into the other.

Light didn't exist prior to sapience?

Fashionable Genius

7,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lucky~9~Lives
Legato of the Night

You're too literal. I'm talking about moral 'light' and moral 'darkness.' In other words, good and evil. We categorize what is moral and immoral, good and bad. Without a bad category, there is nothing for us to define what fits into the good category, and vice versa. It's very difficult to have a world of only 'good' when we don't have 'evil.' Without a concept of what doesn't fall into the 'good' category or the 'evil' category, we just have actions without any moral significance. They're just actions. We don't make value judgments about them without a system into which to categorize them.
Legato of the Night
Lucky~9~Lives
Legato of the Night

You're too literal. I'm talking about moral 'light' and moral 'darkness.' In other words, good and evil. We categorize what is moral and immoral, good and bad. Without a bad category, there is nothing for us to define what fits into the good category, and vice versa. It's very difficult to have a world of only 'good' when we don't have 'evil.' Without a concept of what doesn't fall into the 'good' category or the 'evil' category, we just have actions without any moral significance. They're just actions. We don't make value judgments about them without a system into which to categorize them.

He knows that.

Quotable Poster

2,300 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Comme les enfants

This is a very complex question; there is an entire theological and philosophical field, theodicy, that aims to answer this question. There are a number of different answers to this question, all of which have varying degrees of theological significance.

The most common answers to these questions, when one looks at Christianity and Catholicism, include that God allows evil to occur to maintain humanity's free will. Humans have the right to do good or bad, allowing God to judge them based on their actions. If humans could not do evil, then on what basis can God judge humanity? This arguments suffers from serious issues, however. Christianity believes God to be omniscient and omnipotent. If God is all-knowing and all-powerful, God would not only know how an individual would react in a given situation (i.e., their capacity to do evil) and has the ability to choose to create a reality in which that person does not do evil. If God knows what someone will do already, why is evil required to know their capacity to do it? And God created this reality where He chose which specific people are capable of doing certain evil actions, making God ultimately responsible for who gets into heaven. This argument falls flat.

Another is that life is a test of one's ability to do good or evil, and whether or not one goes to Heaven or Hell can be seen, if we extend the metaphor, as the passing or failing grade. Job is often cited to justify this interpretation of God's use of evil, Satan acting as a divine test-giver whose job is to make sure you have no way of passing, so to speak. The problem with this argument is that, for life to be a proper and reliable test of one's ability to do evil, it has to be fair; everybody must be born and live with the same conditions, the only independent variable being the individual themselves, for a test to be a fair assessment. The Amazing Atheist, a man that, while I have grown to dislike, I think argues this point better than I could, had this to say: "Imagine that you're a fourth grader and your teacher has just handed out a test to all the students in your classroom. With each paper she hands out, she tells people how much time they have to take the test. Some kids are expected to do it in 15 minutes, and others are told they can turn it in next week. Some tests are long, and others are short. Some have easy questions like '3 + 4 = what?," and others have difficult questions like 'What were the three main points advanced by Edmund Burke in his 1791 work Thoughts on French Affairs?' Would anyone take the results of such a test seriously?" This is the most accurate equivalence one can make between any kind of a test and real life.

Some argue that evil is nothing more than the absence of good. This argument is interesting, and I enjoy it. I have no comments; I just thought you'd like it.

Then there is the classic that evil comes through the works of Satan in an attempt to get others to sin to make them go to Hell. The problem with this, I think, is obvious. If God is omnipotent, can God not destroy Satan, thereby ridding us of evil? Can God not show 100% undeniable proof of His existence so that Satan cannot tempt humanity to do sinful things under the guise that God does not exist? However, this answer often goes hand-in-hand with the free will argument of evil.

Seeker

Comme les enfants

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Because YHWH wills it.

EDIT: Also your title is silly. This isn't a topic for "theists", it's a topic for Jews, Christians, and Muslims, but mostly Christians. There are so many other deities out there, and most are not "omnibenevolent"

Fashionable Genius

7,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Fermionic
Legato of the Night
Lucky~9~Lives
Legato of the Night

He knows that.

Okay, good to know for next time.

Newbie Noob

Comme les enfants

This statement does not really apply to Hindus, so it's only a question for most theists.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Comme les enfants

Why only ask the Abrahamic religions?

Also why separate Catholics from Christians? rolleyes

Sparkly Sex Symbol

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Fermionic
Catholics are Christians, do not make that mistake again.

Evil? For the constraints of this; what is evil?

Came off quite dickish. And No, not eactly. (I.e One can be Catholic and Christian, but another may be Christian but not Catholic.)
And you're right, I need to redefine "evil."

Sparkly Sex Symbol

8,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Xiam
Comme les enfants

Why only ask the Abrahamic religions?

Also why separate Catholics from Christians? rolleyes

I said "and various other religions", but, then again, that's not really asking the others. And I did that because I called a friend "Christian" and he got pissed off and tried to give me a lecture of national National Geographic proportions about why Catholics are different from regular Christians. I'm just really not trying to offend anyone.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff