22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
ratgirl34
olive buffet
Burden of proof?
What is this? A trial?

Burden of proof also applies in a debate. The burden of proof lies on whoever the affirming party is. If I say that the sky is magenta, it is on me to prove that the sky is indeed magenta not on you to prove it isn't.

Incidentally, given the amount of colors the sky changes in the span of 24 hours, that's a fairly reasonable argument, and can be proven with a single photograph, or dragging people outside at sunset.

Then, of course, we have to get into semantics of what we mean by the color of the sky, what time of day or weather conditions we should determine as "natural state," what part of the world we should be judging for these criteria, what we even mean by "sky..." it's all pretty messy.

Just like the whole "god" debate.

Shirtless Member

Xiam
ratgirl34
olive buffet
Burden of proof?
What is this? A trial?

Burden of proof also applies in a debate. The burden of proof lies on whoever the affirming party is. If I say that the sky is magenta, it is on me to prove that the sky is indeed magenta not on you to prove it isn't.

Incidentally, given the amount of colors the sky changes in the span of 24 hours, that's a fairly reasonable argument, and can be proven with a single photograph, or dragging people outside at sunset.

Then, of course, we have to get into semantics of what we mean by the color of the sky, what time of day or weather conditions we should determine as "natural state," what part of the world we should be judging for these criteria, what we even mean by "sky..." it's all pretty messy.

And in either case it is the person asserting the claim that a thing is true who has the burden of proof.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
ratgirl34
Xiam
ratgirl34
olive buffet
Burden of proof?
What is this? A trial?

And in either case it is the person asserting the claim that a thing is true who has the burden of proof.

You know... I can't even tell you how long I've observed the religious debate now, and... to this day, the "burden of proof" argument sounds to me like total bullshit.

Here's the thing. Two people assert a claim. For all the denial atheists put up, they're still asserting a claim. A negative claim. Now, I'm no expert, so I'll have to go to Wikipedia on this.

Quote:
When the assertion to prove is a negative claim, the burden takes the form of a negative proof, proof of impossibility, or mere evidence of absence. If this negative assertion is in response to a claim made by another party in a debate, asserting the falsehood of the positive claim shifts the burden of proof from the party making the first claim to the one asserting its falsehood, as the position "I do not believe that X is true" is different from the explicit denial "I believe that X is false".

We can make a point that there are some atheists who take the position of "I do not believe that X is true." However, such individuals are not those who take the stance of "religion is a fairy tale," or "you are all delusional," or, quite simply, "There is no God."

To demand proof out of skepticism is one thing. To demand proof because you've already taken a negative position is an entirely different thing. I've heard people assert that they represent the former, but more often than not I've seen the latter occur.

Think about the assumptions we've made in the past, which turn out not to be true. The geocentric universe. The heliocentric universe. The miasma theory. Phlogiston. The classic four elements. The four humors. The Out of Asia origin of humanity. The theory that vision is caused by the projection of light from the eyes.

These were all disproven by further experimentation and evidence to the contrary, which presented new, more detailed and more highly predictive theories. Nobody had to request the burden of proof from those who claimed it. Those theories were already in practice, already given their evidence and taken a place in the hold of science. It was the proof against them that removed and replaced them as incorrect and outdated.

Therefore, I assert that the entire burden of proof argument is idiotic, and incredibly lazy. It is a sign that you have nothing real to bring forward, and have therefore resorted to requesting that the opponent does all the research.

And I suggest that people step up their ******** game.

Shirtless Member

Xiam
ratgirl34
Xiam
ratgirl34
olive buffet
Burden of proof?
What is this? A trial?

You know... I can't even tell you how long I've observed the religious debate now, and... to this day, the "burden of proof" argument sounds to me like total bullshit.

Here's the thing. Two people assert a claim. For all the denial atheists put up, they're still asserting a claim. A negative claim. Now, I'm no expert, so I'll have to go to Wikipedia on this.

Quote:
When the assertion to prove is a negative claim, the burden takes the form of a negative proof, proof of impossibility, or mere evidence of absence. If this negative assertion is in response to a claim made by another party in a debate, asserting the falsehood of the positive claim shifts the burden of proof from the party making the first claim to the one asserting its falsehood, as the position "I do not believe that X is true" is different from the explicit denial "I believe that X is false".

We can make a point that there are some atheists who take the position of "I do not believe that X is true." However, such individuals are not those who take the stance of "religion is a fairy tale," or "you are all delusional," or, quite simply, "There is no God."

To demand proof out of skepticism is one thing. To demand proof because you've already taken a negative position is an entirely different thing. I've heard people assert that they represent the former, but more often than not I've seen the latter occur.

Think about the assumptions we've made in the past, which turn out not to be true. The geocentric universe. The heliocentric universe. The miasma theory. Phlogiston. The classic four elements. The four humors. The Out of Asia origin of humanity. The theory that vision is caused by the projection of light from the eyes.

These were all disproven by further experimentation and evidence to the contrary, which presented new, more detailed and more highly predictive theories. Nobody had to request the burden of proof from those who claimed it. Those theories were already in practice, already given their evidence and taken a place in the hold of science. It was the proof against them that removed and replaced them as incorrect and outdated.

Therefore, I assert that the entire burden of proof argument is idiotic, and incredibly lazy. It is a sign that you have nothing real to bring forward, and have therefore resorted to requesting that the opponent does all the research.

That's a reasonable stance as far as I can reason.

However, I think that more theists should step up their game by actually presenting evidence mrgreen

Shirtless Member

The Legendary Guest
ratgirl34

INB4 the inevitable semantic tapdance that I've come to know and hate from Xiam. lol

I don't always agree with him, and sometimes I don't even understand what he's saying (I'm a visual learner Xiam!) but I do usually find what he says interesting.

Shirtless Member

The Legendary Guest
ratgirl34
The Legendary Guest
ratgirl34

INB4 the inevitable semantic tapdance that I've come to know and hate from Xiam. lol

I don't always agree with him, and sometimes I don't even understand what he's saying (I'm a visual learner Xiam!) but I do usually find what he says interesting.

People are different, it's no concern of mine if you enjoy interacting with him. I prefer to interact with a different sort of people, but it's all good.

If we were all the same, would this forum not be super boring?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe X

I concur

Indeed

And now I want to see that actually happen in a thread....

Shirtless Member

The Legendary Guest
ratgirl34
The Legendary Guest
ratgirl34
The Legendary Guest

People are different, it's no concern of mine if you enjoy interacting with him. I prefer to interact with a different sort of people, but it's all good.

If we were all the same, would this forum not be super boring?

Honestly? It's pretty boring now. Just my opinion, but that has a lot to do with the rules (or lack thereof), the lack of consistent moderator attention, and the average age and education level of the people who frequently post here.

ratgirl34
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I believe X

I concur

Indeed

And now I want to see that actually happen in a thread....

There are far too many career trolls for that to happen, even if enough people agreed on a topic. Look at some of the recent posts in M&R by certain newer contributors, for example.

Yeah, it is rather slow and there isn't a lot of variety in topics... I should try coming up with something. I've been reading a book called 'a Brief Guide to Secret Religions' and a bit of it is going over my head. Possibly too much history mixed in with 'this group believes X.' I only really care about the latter lol Talking about it in here might help.

It wont happen, I'd probably just laugh even if it did. I find that sort of thing funny, especially if it uses words or phrases that all mean roughly the same thing but aren't commonly used.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
ratgirl34
Xiam
ratgirl34
Xiam
ratgirl34

Quote:

That's a reasonable stance as far as I can reason.

However, I think that more theists should step up their game by actually presenting evidence mrgreen

Ideally, yeah. Both sides should be bringing better arguments and evidence.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
olive buffet
Burden of proof?
What is this? A trial?
Methinks you ought to familiarize yourself with Russell's Teapot.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff