Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Smoker

The Irish Economy
TANRailgun
The Irish Economy
TANRailgun
The Irish Economy

I consider it a life from the moment of conception.

Abortion is then the taking of a life.
As I've said numerous times before, I don't think there is a single reasonable person out there that would argue that a fetus isn't alive, or even a human, but what we would argue is that it is not a person. Much like how my blood cells, or skin cells are alive, and human, but not a person.

That's like saying a four year old isn't a person because it hasn't stopped growing/developing yet.

Blood Cells, and skin cells are aspects of the larger set of Genetic Coding that comprises a human being.

A human being is in existence from when sperm meets egg and conception takes place.

Simple
It's nothing like saying that a four year old is not a person, as I would argue that personhood is constituted by the presence of a mind, which a four year old has, yet a fetus who's brain structure is not developed enough to create conscious thought, or a mind (or not at all, as the case may be) lacks. Now to be fair, what exactly constitutes personhood is a still a very hotly contested issue (as is the definition of the mind), and really the whole pro-life, pro-choice debate is an extension of this philosophical debate. Personally I define personhood as the presence of the mind, for example I would not define a completely brain dead human being as a person. I WOULD define a fetus as a person once it reaches the ability or brain structure necessary for higher brain function as a person, which is why I don't support late term abortions unless the fetus, or giving birth, is a significant health risk to the mother.

Hold that opinion then, Ill fight it to the nail.
For claiming to be willing to do so, you are being quite passive in your response...how boring...

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Azriel_eph210
Amor Sempiternus
Delta1038
Pro-abortion, they have the right to choose. Though I do believe there is a time limit on that, as for the exact time, I am not a doctor.

It's 24 weeks in my country (UK). Not sure what it is in America and continental Europe however.

I just re-read this...that's roughly 6 MONTHS!!!! ...gotta be kidding me...

Most are done a lot earlier, but 24 weeks is like.. the outright full on maximum I believe. I've known a handful of people who've had abortions, and none of them were anywhere near 24 weeks, not even close.
It's up to the mother, I think. Everyone else should respect the decision she makes whether to abort the baby or to keep it.
Demireius

I do believe my mother should have aborted me if she did not want me for ANY reason, regardless of what it was. Yeah.

So lets say your mom was delusional or brainwashed into thinking she was gonna give birth to lets say a unicorn, do you really think she is sound of mind to make the decision to have an abortion?

And do you think that those who NEVER, EVER wish to become pregnant should abstain for their whole lives?
Obviously not, you can have procedures to become sterile E.G. having your tubes tied or having your significant other have a vasectomy

tokophobic and would commit suicide if I became pregnant and an abortion was unavailable.
That in itself doesn't seem like it's not sound of mind for you to make a decision to due your phobia. I think you should deal with that before you give input to people who don't have the same traumatic association with this subject.(I'm sorry if i sound rude that's not my intent, I really hope you manage to overcome that in a healthy manner.)

Doctors refuse to sterilize me despite my multiple medical factors and the fact that i'm mentally nongender (neither female nor male, despite my biology).

I find this interesting, but don't really know much about that could you explain this to me? and may i ask why is it that they choose not to?

I can't have sex because I can't trust contraception that much and...Well, pregnancy is death for me. I freak out too much. It makes me very, very sad that I can't have sex with my boyfriend who I will eventually marry. I can't have sex with him on our wedding night. I can't have sex within the marriage.
It's not fair to him, or me. It upsets me that I can't do this for him. If doctors would sterilize more people who want it rather than preaching supposed childbearing duties and morals, this would be much easier.

wow that's pretty messed up I hope you guys manage, and maybe you should talk to him about getting a vasectomy

Oh, also, a major argument for abortion.
So. No person has the right to use another person's body against their will even if it results in death due to not being allowed to use the person, even if the effort/strain on the other person is very little

true but I'm not really talking about what people have a right(or will as I would like to see it) to do or not do. I'm talking about what the right thing to do is, people have the will and capability to do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean what they want to do is always good for them. We're looking at this in to different angles, probably the main thing that makes us disagree.

If a person can't do that kind of thing, why could a fetus? Effectively, a fetus would have MORE RIGHTS THAN A PERSON if they could do so. Is that fair?

Again it doesn't matter if its really fair, life isn't about making the whole world fair, its about working with what you have. I mean you could go on and on about whats fair but, actually trying to input fairness in the world is too unrealistic.

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I'm not "pro-abortion". I don't LIKE abortion. I don't think it's a great thing. But it IS a good thing, whether the mother does not want the child, was raped, or if it threatens her well-being. It's her body, no religious book or governing body should have the right to tell a woman she is legally REQUIRED to go through up to 24+ hours of physical, mental, and emotional torture. If a woman wants to have the baby, thats cool too! I welcome new children into this world. New minds, ready to learn and experience the world for what it truly is! But I do not condone the torture of a woman who does not want a child. "Hurrdurr adoption" is not a valid argument. A woman isn't going to push out a 10 pound child just so some crackwhore can file for adoption and treat it like crap. Plus the mother will never know what happens to the child.
Dearest Adam
It's up to the mother, I think. Everyone else should respect the decision she makes whether to abort the baby or to keep it.

honestly dude that's any scenario regardless of what we think, this is really more of a debate whether something is right or wrong.
Psychotic Canine
I'm not "pro-abortion". I don't LIKE abortion. I don't think it's a great thing. But it IS a good thing, whether the mother does not want the child, was raped, or if it threatens her well-being. It's her body, no religious book or governing body should have the right to tell a woman she is legally REQUIRED to go through up to 24+ hours of physical, mental, and emotional torture. If a woman wants to have the baby, thats cool too! I welcome new children into this world. New minds, ready to learn and experience the world for what it truly is! But I do not condone the torture of a woman who does not want a child. "Hurrdurr adoption" is not a valid argument. A woman isn't going to push out a 10 pound child just so some crackwhore can file for adoption and treat it like crap. Plus the mother will never know what happens to the child.

i really like the way you put the first half of your comment it is really sincere, and damn honest!

but that last adoption thing i cant find myself agreeing with. not just any person is allowed to adopt mind you.

other than that i think your onto something. in the end its not really up to us. the best anyone can do is provide good valid information and hope that things will work themselves out

Dangerous Rogue

spare_key
Demireius

I do believe my mother should have aborted me if she did not want me for ANY reason, regardless of what it was. Yeah.

So lets say your mom was delusional or brainwashed into thinking she was gonna give birth to lets say a unicorn, do you really think she is sound of mind to make the decision to have an abortion?

And do you think that those who NEVER, EVER wish to become pregnant should abstain for their whole lives?
Obviously not, you can have procedures to become sterile E.G. having your tubes tied or having your significant other have a vasectomy

tokophobic and would commit suicide if I became pregnant and an abortion was unavailable.
That in itself doesn't seem like it's not sound of mind for you to make a decision to due your phobia. I think you should deal with that before you give input to people who don't have the same traumatic association with this subject.(I'm sorry if i sound rude that's not my intent, I really hope you manage to overcome that in a healthy manner.)

Doctors refuse to sterilize me despite my multiple medical factors and the fact that i'm mentally nongender (neither female nor male, despite my biology).

I find this interesting, but don't really know much about that could you explain this to me? and may i ask why is it that they choose not to?

I can't have sex because I can't trust contraception that much and...Well, pregnancy is death for me. I freak out too much. It makes me very, very sad that I can't have sex with my boyfriend who I will eventually marry. I can't have sex with him on our wedding night. I can't have sex within the marriage.
It's not fair to him, or me. It upsets me that I can't do this for him. If doctors would sterilize more people who want it rather than preaching supposed childbearing duties and morals, this would be much easier.

wow that's pretty messed up I hope you guys manage, and maybe you should talk to him about getting a vasectomy

Oh, also, a major argument for abortion.
So. No person has the right to use another person's body against their will even if it results in death due to not being allowed to use the person, even if the effort/strain on the other person is very little

true but I'm not really talking about what people have a right(or will as I would like to see it) to do or not do. I'm talking about what the right thing to do is, people have the will and capability to do whatever they want, but that doesn't mean what they want to do is always good for them. We're looking at this in to different angles, probably the main thing that makes us disagree.

If a person can't do that kind of thing, why could a fetus? Effectively, a fetus would have MORE RIGHTS THAN A PERSON if they could do so. Is that fair?

Again it doesn't matter if its really fair, life isn't about making the whole world fair, its about working with what you have. I mean you could go on and on about whats fair but, actually trying to input fairness in the world is too unrealistic.

1. If she was that delusional she'd be of a more sound mind to have an abortion than to have a child. -snicker- I would much rather be aborted than unwanted for ANY reason, no matter what it was.

2. I have the money for sterilization for either of us, and insurance (til the end of next month, anyway), but they won't do it.

3. I'm simply not healthy enough, mentally or physically, to have the responsibility, pain, and panic of pregnancy. I'm a paranoid schizophrenic (all senses are affected, including touch) with severe panic disorder, anxiety disorder, depression, breathing issues doctors have not yet put a name on that make me always out of breath and unable to be around smokers or any pollution without a mask or i'll cough my lungs out, a heart arrythmia, moderate to severe joint issues, my legs randomly give out on me when i'm standing, vision issues (one of my eyes doesn't work) and I get headaches often, random twitching, accompanied by the gender issues and a few more things. In other words, i'm a walking medical case. And a lot of this is GENETIC. Other women in my family have issues like this. And my mom has fibromyalgia, and my dad has hemochromatosis. I may or may not have fibro, and I have signs of hemo though the test was negative.
IMO, it would be the cruelest thing in the world to bring a child into the world with problems like these running in my family so heavily. I go through my days like....I don't know. I'm not suicidal but I don't see the point in life. I'm going to die early because of my sicknesses anyway.
I don't know, i'm just saying that since I CAN make that decision, it's far safer for me both physically and mentally to make that decision on my own. I had a "pregnancy scare" one time. The reason was stupid, since I still had my periods and everything and we rarely had sex even back then, but my stomach was bloaty and for...around 3-4 months, I was in a constant state of serious panic. I lost some of my hair, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and self-harmed often by punching myself in the stomach. I was constantly writing in pain and agony and fear, mumbling and screaming at various times. It was insanely scary, and the ONLY symptoms were a larger belly and feelings of movement that ended up just being my intestines. So now I don't have sex because I never want that feeling again.

4. As far as sterilization goes...Doctors, at least in America, seem to be under the impression that everyone will end up wanting kids some day. They want to cover their asses so people don't sue them, and denying helpful yet "non-essential" procedures apparently helps them not be sued. Still other doctors, many of which are religious, claim that it's a woman's duty to have children. They do not understand what people like me go through, or sterilization violates their beliefs. That's what i've heard/experienced, anyways, regarding that. Vasectomies for males are a bit easier but still hard to get.

5. We've been together for 2 1/2 years now, and its been 11 months or more since we've had sex. We manage, luckily he's not that interested in sex and I was nearly asexual to begin with, but that doesn't stop me from thinking i'm holding him down. We're pretty happy though, lots of cuddles.

6/7. Well, the point is that you can think one way or another for yourself, sure. If you don't want an abortion/don't want your partner to get an abortion, make that known! Only have sex with people who share your viewpoint so there's no icky issues brought up in case something happens. But it's not right to impose your morals on others if said morals can create a slippery slope of happenings (for example, the personhood amendment that people are trying to pass which would make fetuses persons from conception could make it so hormonal birth control would be illegal in that state because those who use birth control might end up concieving and due to the birth control it MIGHT make the cells unable to implant). I don't mind pro-lifers so long as they're personally pro-life only and recognize all the awful things that could happen if fetuses are granted rights of persons (which, as I mentioned, they would in fact have MORE rights than persons if forced to remain in the woman, and also in that case rape/incest fetuses or those with deformities would probably not be allowed to be aborted either, because after all, it's a "person" but has more rights than a woman.)

....I hope I did that right, long post and my brain is kinda wobbly at the moment.

Beloved Regular

7,300 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Psychotic Canine
A woman isn't going to push out a 10 pound child just so some crackwhore can file for adoption and treat it like crap. Plus the mother will never know what happens to the child.

Lol! Your comment is funny to me! After all, it implies that the mother actually cares about the child... I'd wager that the majority of choices for abortion aren't made with the child in mind.

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Azriel_eph210
Psychotic Canine
A woman isn't going to push out a 10 pound child just so some crackwhore can file for adoption and treat it like crap. Plus the mother will never know what happens to the child.

Lol! Your comment is funny to me! After all, it implies that the mother actually cares about the child... I'd wager that the majority of choices for abortion aren't made with the child in mind.
It would be difficult if one didn't consider it a child.

Newbie Genius

7,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
This is an issue that will never have a definite conclusion. I personally disagree with abortion.

The question is then whether it is right to do one of the two:

1. We infringe on the rights of individuals to have abortions because people like me believe it's wrong. So all because one set of people disagree, no one can have abortions.

2. We allow abortion for those who agree with it and those who don't can simply not have abortion.

Option 1 infringes on the individual rights of those who wish to have abortions.
Option 2 does not infringe on the individual rights of those who do not wish to have abortions because they are not being forced to do something they do not want.

I'm a Christian who disagrees with the concept of abortion. However, I will not go as far as to force my beliefs on another group of people and force them to do something they don't agree with.

Having an abortion does not affect the individual liberty of others either. Someone having an abortion does not directly affect me.

I disagree with abortion, but for the sake of the principles that this country was founded upon I think that the policy should allow abortion.

Beloved Lunatic

6,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Azriel_eph210
Psychotic Canine

If you spent 16+ hours pushing out a baby, would you really want it to grow up in a terrible environment, and possibly not even making it to adulthood? It's not about "having the child in mind", it's about pushing out a child you didn't want, just for it to be dropped on it's head by it's drug-addict adoptive mother.

I honestly don't think people realize how easy it is in some places for people to adopt a child. Sure most places actually give a damn and work hard to put the child in a good home, but some places just don't care at all.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Azriel_eph210
Just out of curiosity, what are some of the reasons someone would give for getting an abortion?

Since no one took the liberty of answering this question, I suppose I will.

- The woman does not want to carry the pregnancy to term. I dislike when people use the phrase "the woman does not want the child", because then people retort with "What's adoption? Is that new?"
- The woman/couple is/are not financially sound to carry a pregnancy, and to support a child. Again, those who are considered "pro-life" will then say the woman/couple can put the child up for adoption, but who is going to get stuck with the medical bills? Child birth costs a pretty penny, even with insurance.
- The woman is not mentally fit to carry a pregnancy. Andrea Yates is/was a perfect example of this. Granted, this woman should have gotten a hysterectomy at some point, or her husband a vasectomy. After the first pregnancy, suffering from postpartum depression, and at the arise of the second, I personally feel she should've gotten an abortion due to the fact that she got more and more mentally unstable. The reason none of the above procedures happened was because Russell Yates expressed to Andrea (after she said she didn't want to have sex in fear that she might hurt her children) his "procreative religious beliefs, complimented her as a good mother, and persuaded her that she could handle more children."

These are a few reasons someone would give for getting an abortion.

On an unrelated note...Hello, M&R. I missed you. heart

Beloved Regular

7,300 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
TrueLore
Azriel_eph210
Psychotic Canine

It would be difficult if one didn't consider it a child.

Hey TrueLore! Sorry, but I don't quite get what you mean. Can you clarify for me?

Beloved Regular

7,300 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Psychotic Canine
Azriel_eph210
Psychotic Canine

If you spent 16+ hours pushing out a baby, would you really want it to grow up in a terrible environment, and possibly not even making it to adulthood? It's not about "having the child in mind", it's about pushing out a child you didn't want, just for it to be dropped on it's head by it's drug-addict adoptive mother.

I honestly don't think people realize how easy it is in some places for people to adopt a child. Sure most places actually give a @#!*% and work hard to put the child in a good home, but some places just don't care at all.

That's interesting...so it's more like "I'd don't want the possibility for wasted effort, so I'll just kill it instead"? It's kinda like if I don't have a hope/good chance for getting 1st place in the science fair, I'll decide not to participate altogether...right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff