Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Ladykiller

A y e, a y e. 'T i s n o t a l i f e,

I don't want to start a fight or anything, but I do want to know what people think. Some are just like "whatever." Some get uber emotional over it.
Personally, I think abortion should be an option. There are both wrongs and rights, I believe.
Rape. Obviously number one. If someone is raped, their whole life could change, could be ruined. They might not be ready for a child. They might be going to school, or getting a new job. They can't handle a child. All sorts of things to think about.
There is adoption though. Or even being the birth mother (what do they call it?) for a family that can't have kids. There are things to be done.
There's also the psychological side to it. That mother who carries the child will always—every second of her pregnancy—be reminded of that moment in her life. Men are usually the most pro-life, simply because they don't bear children. Can you imagine the strain on a mother? Men just can't understand the pains of pregnancy, not to mention if you don't even want it.
There's thinking about the baby though. There are probably a thousand arguments over when it's truly "alive" and when it's okay to have an abortion. A tiny living creature, made partly of yourself. Can you just go and kill it? Approximately 1.2 million abortions are performed annually. Abortion is the leading cause of death in America.
Obviously if a teen or even an adult was just "having fun" then they should pay consequences. But what if the mother/father are terrible people? Why would you want a child born into a world not worth living?
This is all my amateur opinion. I can't go saying "I know all about this" because I don't. I'm just putting out what I do know/think. What about you? I know you've seen thousands of these threads probably, but it's been on my mind for a while.

B u t a l i v i n g.

B u t a l i v i n g.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200

Dapper Ladykiller

The Irish Economy
Not

Why so?

B u t a l i v i n g.

Conservative Dabbler

8,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Purjus Pirate
The Irish Economy
Not

Why so?

B u t a l i v i n g.

I consider it a life from the moment of conception.

Abortion is then the taking of a life.

Enduring Regular

I'm a firm believer in freedom of choice, so I support the woman's choice to abort.

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

Beloved Regular

7,300 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Generous 100
  • Popular Thread 100
I watched an interesting video that touched on this subject the other day...matter of fact...it was yesterday! Lol! Anyway, it makes some good points. Check it out if you're interested:

Purjus Pirate
Obviously if a teen or even an adult was just "having fun" then they should pay consequences.

As in a baby is a fitting punishment, or abortion is an easy option?
kewefefe
The child dreams, thinks, and reacts to its mother.

Not as soon as the sperm connects with the egg, though.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Pro-choice. It's the woman's body, and there's no heartbeat til 5 weeks. Abortions are viable up to 24 weeks, but most I'd imagine are done 'asap', so a lot sooner than that. So before those 5 weeks, it is not a seperate, singular life to me. From week 5 to week 24, that choice is up to the woman, her partner and the doctor's advising her but foremost the woman.

As an unwanted pregnancy can come about even when using more than one method of birth control, it is not always the fault of carelessness. Nor should people NOT have sex if they can't accept the results; abortion IS one of the choices available to women along with adoption and going through with the pregnancy.

It's also not forbidden in the religion that I follow. In reference to an abortion-inducing herb;
Quote:
It was used widely by most ancient Mediterranean cultures; the Romans considered it "worth its weight in denarii" (silver coins). Legend said that it was a gift from the god Apollo.

There's my £0.50.

Blessed Autobiographer

8,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
Personally, I'm against abortions, but I do understand why it's an option for some people. The only cases where I see it as a real possiblity are:
1. The baby is endangering the mother's life. And I'm not talking about "If I have this baby, I won't get to party with my friends all the time" life, I mean as in "If I have this baby, I will literally die". If the baby is endangering the life of the mother, I can fully understand the need to terminate the pregnancy.
2. Cases of rape and/or incest. This is a given, as it is not the will of the mother to get pregnant. I fully understand how something this traumatic would take the toll on the mother and she would desire to end all memory of that time.
kewefefe
Personally, I find abortions to be extremely sexist. It allows men to use women. A man could rape a woman and easily defend his actions by saying, “Well, it isn’t my problem. She can always just get an abortion. It is her choice."

Except it's more than her getting pregnant that needs to be defended; that does nothing to justify the violation - the problem isn't merely that she got pregnant because she was raped, but that she was raped at all. It's like saying plaster-casts allow muggers to break people's legs.

kewefefe
Lucky~9~Lives
kewefefe
The child dreams, thinks, and reacts to its mother.

Not as soon as the sperm connects with the egg, though.

No, but as soon as there is a connection between the egg and sperm, the formation of the child is taking place. So there is a living being within the womb right from the start.

Yeah, but the issue isn't so much whether it's a living being as it is whether it's a person, with rights. After all, a bacterium is a living being, too.

kewefefe
And the child does dream, think, and react before it ever comes out of the mother. That was what I was trying to say. I apologize for not making a separation between the two comments.

It's cool.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces