Welcome to Gaia! ::

neokyle's Buddy

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
Pagan/Wicca, etc.
I'm curious to know did you see the new Succubi's Modesty and Infernal Seduction items that have the inverted pentacle? do you find this offensive? or not care? didn't notice?

side note: Vampire Hunter Hat, has a pentacle in one of its poses

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Why would we? Many Pagans use an inverted pentacle, and Pagans don't have a sole claim to the symbol.

I don't have a problem with it.

Recognising that it is a bit daft to be seriously offended by pixel items in a avatar site, I save up all my Being Vaguely Offended By Gaia's Items for s**t like this, and my Actually Offended for More Realistic Reasons by s**t like this.
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

Why would pagans be offended by this?

neokyle's Buddy

27,300 Points
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Converting 100 items 100
deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

i don't think they would be offended by the symbol its self but what they called the items, the devil bundle, infernal, etc.
cause I've had a couple friends say that it kind of conveys its a demonic or devilish symbol
so say a pagan that wasn't a Satanist was wearing or using this symbol inverted might be considered a devil worsipper, evil, etc.
I don't really have feelings about it but I was curious to know what others thought, cause some friends were discussing it

Adored Admirer

deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

Because of pentacle rape.
Pseudo-Onkelos
deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

Because of pentacle rape.

Damn that pentacle rape. Once it starts, it never wants to stop. According to those movies about Satan that I saw some time ago or something.......
Musical_Vampire_Socks
deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

i don't think they would be offended by the symbol its self but what they called the items, the devil bundle, infernal, etc.
cause I've had a couple friends say that it kind of conveys its a demonic or devilish symbol
so say a pagan that wasn't a Satanist was wearing or using this symbol inverted might be considered a devil worsipper, evil, etc.
I don't really have feelings about it but I was curious to know what others thought, cause some friends were discussing it

Are your friends wiccan by any chance?

Big Member

9,800 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Pseudo-Onkelos
deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

Because of pentacle ******** you, I gigglesnorted and it hurt. heart

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Musical_Vampire_Socks
deadmanjay
Musical_Vampire_Socks
inverted pentacle

Ah, so you're suggesting the association with a commonly-used Pagan religious symbol with "the devil" and associated concepts may contribute to increased misunderstanding and religious bigotry?

Is a more interesting subject. I think the term "offended" is a bit distracting.... It's not really "offensive". I mean if devil worshippers wanted to use the symbol, there's not really any problem with that. There's precedent. The question of whether Gaia should, ethically, perpetuate this association to the detriment of some might be a better one.

I still doubt anyone would really care that much one way or the other.

I mean.... you'd think in the majority of cases, even if everyone did associate the symbol with devil-worship and thought you were a devil-worshipper it wouldn't matter, because is it that important what most people think? You could take it off in professional settings. And anyway they'd be more likely to think you were just being rebellious than to think you actually sat there and worshipped Satan or whatever. But that may be me being naive; the Satanic Panic thing ended up with people being arrested, charged and convicted with ritualised child abuse, and the West Memphis 3 weren't helped by that sort of thing either. It's easy to think that that sort of thing is behind us, but I suppose you never know.
Seeing as how the inverted pentacle is something commonly used in Satanism and semi-related groups I fail to see how anyone could be offended by this.

Infact, it's done properly.

Blessed Friend

No, I am also not offended. I don't feel that the inverted pentacle on Gaia contributes to a culture of creedism toward Pagans. Though we are a minority, no discrimination will be added by this artistic license.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
The only people who will be offended are those type of people who were offended by Thor being in the Avengers comics or a teddy bear called Muhammad. They don't deserve to have their feelings considered.

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
Not at all. I actually splurged on the Vampire Hunter Hat just for the pentacle.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Well they're doing it correctly and as a Wiccan I'm not offended what so ever but that might be due to the fact that I could careless
Doctrix
No, I am also not offended. I don't feel that the inverted pentacle on Gaia contributes to a culture of creedism toward Pagans. Though we are a minority, no discrimination will be added by this artistic license.

Is that because it doesn't single out pagans and is a symbol that crosses many religious and ethnic traditions (including Christianity, Baha'i and the Druze), or do you think that misrepresentations in cyberspace in general aren't as meaningful to flesh and blood people offline?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff