Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Friend

Sheisntdead
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie
I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism... [...] As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

I am one of the Wiccans mentioned, if you have any specific questions about Wicca. Gerald Gardner is an excellent author to start with if you are interested in seeking Wicca, though it may make a lot less sense if you are working towards other Pagan paths.

Hi, I've been trying to learn more about all different types of religion and Wicca really interests me. I was just wondering if you could tell me how you came to this path (if it's not too much trouble).

No trouble at all. I was an active young Pagan in the local community. When I decided to seek Wicca because I felt called to it, I asked and searched around for local traditional Wiccans and interviewed with them. I verified with other Wiccans if they claimed that they were initiated Wiccans, and spent a few years getting to know several groups to find out which group was the best fit for me, and of course for them to figure out if I would fit in as well. Finally, I was initiated into a coven and began my training as a Priestess. Thanks for asking.

You're welcome! Was it hard to find people to connect with? How did you know where to start?

Yes, it was hard to find people with which to connect. I was lucky enough that the Pagan community in the Seattle area was full of people talking at events and posting online about their study groups when they were taking members. The hard part was finding people that clicked with me.
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie
I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism... [...] As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

I am one of the Wiccans mentioned, if you have any specific questions about Wicca. Gerald Gardner is an excellent author to start with if you are interested in seeking Wicca, though it may make a lot less sense if you are working towards other Pagan paths.

Hi, I've been trying to learn more about all different types of religion and Wicca really interests me. I was just wondering if you could tell me how you came to this path (if it's not too much trouble).

No trouble at all. I was an active young Pagan in the local community. When I decided to seek Wicca because I felt called to it, I asked and searched around for local traditional Wiccans and interviewed with them. I verified with other Wiccans if they claimed that they were initiated Wiccans, and spent a few years getting to know several groups to find out which group was the best fit for me, and of course for them to figure out if I would fit in as well. Finally, I was initiated into a coven and began my training as a Priestess. Thanks for asking.

You're welcome! Was it hard to find people to connect with? How did you know where to start?

Yes, it was hard to find people with which to connect. I was lucky enough that the Pagan community in the Seattle area was full of people talking at events and posting online about their study groups when they were taking members. The hard part was finding people that clicked with me.

I'm glad you had that environment and can only hope to be so lucky.
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie

For me the search for a proper Wiccan coven took over 20 years. I thought I found one early on but that turn out to be wrong. They lied. When I did finally did find the first Wiccan coven the fit was not right. It took a major move and online and in-person connections with legit Wiccans to find the right coven for me. It can be hard to find a proper Wiccan coven with all the frauds and misinformed people out there, but for me the long search was worth it for what I have now.
BTW Found
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie

For me the search for a proper Wiccan coven took over 20 years. I thought I found one early on but that turn out to be wrong. They lied. When I did finally did find the first Wiccan coven the fit was not right. It took a major move and my online and in person connections with legit Wiccans to find the right coven for me. It can be hard to find a proper Wiccan coven with all the frauds and misinformed people out there, but for me the long search was worth it for what I have now.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Both the time(but that shouldn't really matter in the end) and just being able to find the right people.

Blessed Friend

Sheisntdead
BTW Found
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie

For me the search for a proper Wiccan coven took over 20 years. I thought I found one early on but that turn out to be wrong. They lied. When I did finally did find the first Wiccan coven the fit was not right. It took a major move and my online and in person connections with legit Wiccans to find the right coven for me. It can be hard to find a proper Wiccan coven with all the frauds and misinformed people out there, but for me the long search was worth it for what I have now.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Both the time(but that shouldn't really matter in the end) and just being able to find the right people.

Well, if you know to make sure to get vouches for your teachers before you commit yourself to being a student, you won't have to fear frauds as much as those who are less informed. All you'll have to worry about is fitting in!
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
BTW Found
Doctrix
Sheisntdead

Well, if you know to make sure to get vouches for your teachers before you commit yourself to being a student, you won't have to fear frauds as much as those who are less informed. All you'll have to worry about is fitting in!

I'll have to remember that! Haha, if I can even find a teacher in the first place.

Blessed Friend

Sheisntdead

I'll have to remember that! Haha, if I can even find a teacher in the first place.

I suggest, in this order:
1.) Ask any Wiccans with which you've already come into contact, even if they are currently not in a coven or in a coven that is closed to new members. (Even online, Wiccans who live far away from each other may happen to know of each others' existence and hook you up with a coven in your area.)
2.) Ask around your local Pagan community, especially if there are festivals, psychic fairs, moots, meetups and metaphysical bookstores.
3.) Ask around on Amber and Jet http://www.amberandjet.org
4.) Check on WitchVox.com
5.) Repeat incessantly for years on end!
Doctrix
Sheisntdead

I suggest, in this order:
1.) Ask around your local Pagan community, especially if there are festivals, psychic fairs, moots, meetups and metaphysical bookstores.
2.) Ask around on Amber and Jet http://www.amberandjet.org
3.) Check on WitchVox.com
4.) Repeat incessantly for years on end!

Thanks! I'll do that!

Blessed Friend

Sheisntdead

Thanks! I'll do that!

Edited to add: Ask any Wiccans with which you've already come into contact, even if they are currently not in a coven or in a coven that is closed to new members. (Even online, Wiccans who live far away from each other may happen to know of each others' existence and hook you up with a coven in your area.)
Doctrix
Sheisntdead

Thanks! I'll do that!

Edited to add: Ask any Wiccans with which you've already come into contact, even if they are currently not in a coven or in a coven that is closed to new members. (Even online, Wiccans who live far away from each other may happen to know of each others' existence and hook you up with a coven in your area.)

I don't really know any in my area, but I will ask around. smile

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
my mom is a Witch. stepdad is Hindu. I grew up with a healthy mix of exposure to Paganism, Wicca, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, and Islam. I learned quite alot about all of those, and was never pushed towards any religion, nor away from any.

as I grew up I began to study all kinds of religious and Spiritual practices and beliefs, and study cultures.

in the end, I turned away from religion, but not from Philosophy or Theology. and I am certainly still a Spiritual being. in fact, I have become more certain of the existence of the Divine.

there are quite alot of Pagans on Gaia. smile plenty of resources, though I don't recall which guilds dedicated to it are still active and of decent quality.... I have mainly found myself hanging out with Pagans in threads dedicated to other things.

if you would like information on the Fae, I can help you there. ^_^ I have studied them intensely, and can direct you to plenty of sources even while discussing the history and legends of them.

I would highly recommend a particular resource for you; The Encyclopedia of Magic And Alchemy, by Ellen Rosemary Guilles. although I may have misspelled her last name... it has decent coverage of a plethora of topics, and also redirects you towards very valuable resources for further research on the topics you are interested in.
It's Rosemary Ellen Guiley.

Hallowed Lunatic

Hello! I am LittleShadow biggrin

Gerald Gardner was my great uncle xD
I am an Ecclectic Pagan biggrin I do not know much about Faeries, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me! <3

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
echoing8whisper
Gerald Gardner was my great uncle xD

Can you provide a verified British Family Birth Certificate family tree to support that rather doubtful claim?
Because it's extraordinary.
And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

echoing8whisper
I am an Ecclectic Pagan biggrin

Of course you are.

echoing8whisper
I do not know much about Faeries

Of course you don't.

echoing8whisper
but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask me! <3

As I am (ostensibly) a pagan who's entered service of a deity by having straight lines tattooed across my arm, why were the two statements above necessary?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff