Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
A few things I've noted about paganism and wicca:

1) I don't see any wiccan groups trying to pass laws to preach their religion
2) I don't see any wiccans who are convicted of shooting schools
3) I don't see any wiccans that deny major facts like earth is billions of years old, earth is round, and life evolves.

Just sayin'.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

dh8d1

3) I don't see any wiccans that deny major facts like earth is billions of years old, earth is round, and life evolves.

Just sayin'.

Well yeah but to be fair, there aren't many Wiccans. If the number of people who shoot up schools is a relatively small subset of any religion, it seems less likely that you'd see a Wiccan doing it than a person of most other religions given how few Wiccans there are.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Sanguina Cruenta
dh8d1

Just sayin'.

Well yeah but to be fair, there aren't many Wiccans. If the number of people who shoot up schools is a relatively small subset of any religion, it seems less likely that you'd see a Wiccan doing it than a person of most other religions given how few Wiccans there are.
small subset is one thing... zero is another.

Sure, there have been many many school shootings... you'd think at least a few were pagans/wiccans... but nope.
dh8d1
Sure, there have been many many school shootings... you'd think at least a few were pagans/wiccans... but nope.

If many many is approximately 7000 i.e. the ratio of non-pagans/Wiccans to one pagan/Wiccan.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

If many many is approximately 7000 i.e. the ratio of non-pagans/Wiccans to one pagan/Wiccan.

That's assuming a lot, though, in particular that the distribution of shooters will be the same per capita across religions.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

Are you saying that only 1 in 7000 people is pagan or wiccan?
dh8d1
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

Approximately.

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

Approximately.
What's your source?
dh8d1
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

Approximately.
What's your source?

"Adherents.com estimates that there are roughly one million pagans worldwide (as of 2000), including 'Wicca, Magick, Druidism, Asatru, neo-Native American religion and others'."
'Neopaganism - Demographics', Wikipedia

"As of today, it [the world population] is estimated to number 7.062 billion by the United States Census Bureau (USCB)."
'World population', Wikipedia

Distinct Genius

13,400 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conversationalist 100
  • 50 Wins 150
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1
Lucky~9~Lives
dh8d1

Approximately.
What's your source?

"Adherents.com estimates that there are roughly one million pagans worldwide (as of 2000), including 'Wicca, Magick, Druidism, Asatru, neo-Native American religion and others'."
'Neopaganism - Demographics', Wikipedia

"As of today, it [the world population] is estimated to number 7.062 billion by the United States Census Bureau (USCB)."
'World population', Wikipedia
Comparing 13 year old data with today's data. Seems legit.

...not.

Blessed Friend

0.3% of the U.S. population is Wiccan/Pagan.

http://religions.pewforum.org/affiliations

The Brady Campaign records 11 school shootings. You do the math. There would have to be a lot more school shootings in order to sample a Wiccan or Pagan. This topic is yawn, anyway, since religion and school shootings have not been shown to be correlated. In fact, there was a ton of press about the Columbine shooting being done by kids who opposed the religious and were actually seeking out believers in God to shoot. Thus, I declare this thread hopelessly off-topic!
Doctrix
King Faerie
I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism... [...] As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

I am one of the Wiccans mentioned, if you have any specific questions about Wicca. Gerald Gardner is an excellent author to start with if you are interested in seeking Wicca, though it may make a lot less sense if you are working towards other Pagan paths.

Hi, I've been trying to learn more about all different types of religion and Wicca really interests me. I was just wondering if you could tell me how you came to this path (if it's not too much trouble).

Blessed Friend

Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie
I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism... [...] As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

I am one of the Wiccans mentioned, if you have any specific questions about Wicca. Gerald Gardner is an excellent author to start with if you are interested in seeking Wicca, though it may make a lot less sense if you are working towards other Pagan paths.

Hi, I've been trying to learn more about all different types of religion and Wicca really interests me. I was just wondering if you could tell me how you came to this path (if it's not too much trouble).

No trouble at all. I was an active young Pagan in the local community. When I decided to seek Wicca because I felt called to it, I asked and searched around for local traditional Wiccans and interviewed with them. I verified with other Wiccans if they claimed that they were initiated Wiccans, and spent a few years getting to know several groups to find out which group was the best fit for me, and of course for them to figure out if I would fit in as well. Finally, I was initiated into a coven and began my training as a Priestess. Thanks for asking.
Doctrix
Sheisntdead
Doctrix
King Faerie

No trouble at all. I was an active young Pagan in the local community. When I decided to seek Wicca because I felt called to it, I asked and searched around for local traditional Wiccans and interviewed with them. I verified with other Wiccans if they claimed that they were initiated Wiccans, and spent a few years getting to know several groups to find out which group was the best fit for me, and of course for them to figure out if I would fit in as well. Finally, I was initiated into a coven and began my training as a Priestess. Thanks for asking.

You're welcome! Was it hard to find people to connect with? How did you know where to start?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff