Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't claim to be or practice anything of any sort; however, I am interested in reading about the subject of Paganism. I know that's a very broad and general statement, but bear with me. It's difficult to sift through the mounds of web information and decipher what is factual and what isn't. I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations by credible authors that helped them to understand basic things like principles, histories and the different beliefs incorporated.

I'm rather "wet behind the ears", so forgive me for that.

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
King Faerie
I don't claim to be or practice anything of any sort; however, I am interested in reading about the subject of Paganism. I know that's a very broad and general statement, but bear with me. It's difficult to sift through the mounds of web information and decipher what is factual and what isn't. I was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations by credible authors that helped them to understand basic things like principles, histories and the different beliefs incorporated.

That really depends on which Pagan religion you're look at. Did you have an idea of where you wanted to start?
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Not even the slightest idea. I've been scrolling through most of the pages trying to discern what exactly falls under that category. I suppose I'm not having any luck because of my lack of knowledge. I don't really know what a Pagan religion is and what isn't. Before reading a few of these posts I thought Paganism was a specific religion in itself.

If I may ask, what religion do you practice?

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
King Faerie
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Not even the slightest idea. I've been scrolling through most of the pages trying to discern what exactly falls under that category. I suppose I'm not having any luck because of my lack of knowledge. I don't really know what a Pagan religion is and what isn't. Before reading a few of these posts I thought Paganism was a specific religion in itself.

If I may ask, what religion do you practice?
Well as Calelith had said on the previous page its any religion that's not Christianity, Islam, or Judaism in the widest sense. Some people narrow it down to any religion that's not one of the major religions. Most books and sites and whatnot will say "Paganism is this" or "Paganism is that" because when it comes down to it which sounds better to you Paganism or Eclectic Neo-Paganism? Same with a lot of books on Wicca.

I'm a Kemetic. Fancy way of saying I follow Egyptian deities.
X-Yami-no-Ko-X

What called out to you about this specific style of religion, in contrast to the rest of them? Personal preference to their beliefs, specific deities or something else?

It might be where I start reading, considering it's the only one I know by name at the moment.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

King Faerie

It's not one belief, or even beliefs pulled from multiple different things to form a single belief (although there are people that do that, they are eclectic). It's an umbrella for a variety of different religions, each one being just as unique as the next.

Are there any mythologies that you have been drawn to in the past? Any cultures you love? You could also start off with your ancestors and what they worshiped to see if that interests you as well.
Salmenella

I honestly don't know anything about my family to know about their lineage and beliefs. So I couldn't start there.

I've ground my way through bits of information here or there when I get the time and I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism...but that's all I've ever heard of before, really, and I didn't even remember the name until tonight when I looked up more information. I was given the example of the Kemetic religion and I've been reading up on it for the past hour or so.

Religion has always been very confusing for me.

As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

King Faerie
Salmenella

I honestly don't know anything about my family to know about their lineage and beliefs. So I couldn't start there.

I've ground my way through bits of information here or there when I get the time and I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism...but that's all I've ever heard of before, really, and I didn't even remember the name until tonight when I looked up more information. I was given the example of the Kemetic religion and I've been reading up on it for the past hour or so.

Religion has always been very confusing for me.

As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?
If you want to go the route of Wicca, sure. But remember that Wicca is an initiation based fertility religion. It's all secret society style to me so I don't bother with it. There are some initiated Wiccans around here for any questions you may have as I'm no help with that.

I'm just now studying on the Heathen Gods to adapt them into my own religion but I still do not know much.

Then there is Hellenismos, which is for worshiping the Olympians of Greece and how the ancients there would have worshiped the Gods.
I am a Roman Recon. Religio Romana. I worship the Roman deities in the way that the ancient Romans would have worshiped them.

Basically pick an ancient culture and go from there with finding out who their Gods are and how their Gods were worshiped. But just remember that some religions, such as with the Irish, are closed religions.

Blessed Friend

King Faerie
I took an interest in Wicca as well as Heathenism... [...] As for authors, I was told to start with Gerald Gardner. He keeps popping up in my research, so I assume that's where I should begin?

I am one of the Wiccans mentioned, if you have any specific questions about Wicca. Gerald Gardner is an excellent author to start with if you are interested in seeking Wicca, though it may make a lot less sense if you are working towards other Pagan paths.
Salmenella

Doctrix

I appreciate the help that you two have given me. It seems to me that reading up on Heathenism would be the better route to go for the time being, because it makes the most sense to me. Of course, that's not to say that I won't be back to read more information about the other religions as well.

This is just a good..start/re-start for me.

Thank you all. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions on the matter.

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100
King Faerie
What called out to you about this specific style of religion, in contrast to the rest of them? Personal preference to their beliefs, specific deities or something else?

It might be where I start reading, considering it's the only one I know by name at the moment.
Personal experiences and when doing researching finding that some of their beliefs lined up with mine.

Mythology is a good place to start when looking at recon religions.

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
King Faerie

I appreciate the help that you two have given me. It seems to me that reading up on Heathenism would be the better route to go for the time being, because it makes the most sense to me. Of course, that's not to say that I won't be back to read more information about the other religions as well.

This is just a good..start/re-start for me.

Thank you all. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions on the matter.
I have a rather substantial influence of Germanic practices in my religious practices. I have a ton of resources on the Heathen/Germanic paths if you'd be interested. There are several heathens around here.

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
i sort of looked into wicca and stuff... but the community... my dad says isnt very good.

Also I have tried the spells...but im not a really... believing kind of person. I know I am a very cynical person because It is impossible to try to hypnotize me. ; _ ; I want to be though...

Desirable Shapeshifter

<3

Just thought I'd share my like for the thread~ I'm new to paganism so I don't have much knowledge to strike up a conversation. Heh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff