Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fluffy Pumpkin

7,950 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
For the past year, I have been studying the beliefs of Pagans, Wiccans, and Witchcraft in general. Before I learned about it, I was an un-practicing Catholic. (Though most I my life I did practice, by the demands of my parents.)

The reason I've converted is because of how unwelcome I felt going to Church. When most people, (My mother, to be more specific,) said that when they go to Church, they feel better about themselves afterwards, I never experienced such feeling. I never felt "Sin-free" after confession, and the when I went up to accept the Eucharist, I always thought the body of Christ tasted like cardboard. In summary, I wanted to believe in what my Family wanted, but nothing ever came to me.

Ever since I began my studies of Paganism, my parents have began to disrespect my beliefs. My father once told me he was going to throw the books I had just bought away, and that even though I payed for them, I was not allowed to have them. My Mother, though she has become more accepting of it over time, pays no attention to when I try to explain to her what I believe. Both my parents still love me, but they believe that I am going down the wrong path.

Over the time I have studied, I have also met some wonderful people in my small community that are also Pagan. Thanks to Witchvox (An online community to find local Pagans,) I met a woman in my community named Tammy, and she has been teaching me as well. In fact, I participated in a Ritual with her, her friend Autumn, and as a surprise, one of my friend's mother's, Chelli. I even called in the water quarter for the group. It was the most wonderful, magickal experience I have ever had in my life.

Now, what I would like to know, if there are any Pagans/Wiccans in the gaia community. I'm also curious about finding a guild to join who's focus is Paganism. Currently, I'm learning about everything possible, but one topic I am really interested in, is Faeries. (If anyone knows any good websites to learn about the Fae folk, please let me know!)

So, Merry meet to all of you! I look forward to meeting the users who are Pagans as well.

)O( Blessed be!
- Anna
Witcherz

So, Merry meet to all of you! I look forward to meeting the users who are Pagans as well.

)O( Blessed be!
- Anna

What do you think you know of Wicca?

What do you know about paganism?

Blessed Friend

Witcherz
Ever since I began my studies of Paganism, my parents have began to disrespect my beliefs. My father once told me he was going to throw the books I had just bought away, and that even though I payed for them, I was not allowed to have them. My Mother, though she has become more accepting of it over time, pays no attention to when I try to explain to her what I believe. Both my parents still love me, but they believe that I am going down the wrong path.

Over the time I have studied, I have also met some wonderful people in my small community that are also Pagan. Thanks to Witchvox (An online community to find local Pagans,) I met a woman in my community named Tammy, and she has been teaching me as well. In fact, I participated in a Ritual with her, her friend Autumn, and as a surprise, one of my friend's mother's, Chelli. I even called in the water quarter for the group.

If you are not yet an adult, your parents are responsible for your religious upbringing. You'll have to earn their respect for your beliefs by not going behind their backs to read books and participate in rituals with others. In fact, if the people you've met are teaching you without your parents' permission if you're not yet an adult, that is highly suspicious and reflects poorly on them and their practice. If you are an adult, however, you can circumvent such conversations with your parents entirely by keeping your religion private.

Witcherz
Now, what I would like to know, if there are any Pagans/Wiccans in the gaia community.

Well met, Anna, I'm Wiccan.

Witcherz
I'm also curious about finding a guild to join who's focus is Paganism.

If you use the search feature, you will find many such a Guild like The Pagan Fluffy Rehab Guild? I know a few of the Pagan regulars here will come to promote their own Guilds, so I'll leave that to the leaders to better explain their foci.

Witcherz
One topic I am really interested in, is Faeries. (If anyone knows any good websites to learn about the Fae folk, please let me know!)

Aw nuts, I have a book about faeries written, but it isn't coming out until Fall, 2013. biggrin Don't know any good websites, so hopefully others will help you with that.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Lucky~9~Lives
User Image

Gaian

Aren't we all good pagans with our own beliefs?

Interesting Seeker

Witcherz
For the past year, I have been studying the beliefs of Pagans, Wiccans, and Witchcraft in general. Before I learned about it, I was an un-practicing Catholic. (Though most I my life I did practice, by the demands of my parents.)

The reason I've converted is because of how unwelcome I felt going to Church. When most people, (My mother, to be more specific,) said that when they go to Church, they feel better about themselves afterwards, I never experienced such feeling. I never felt "Sin-free" after confession, and the when I went up to accept the Eucharist, I always thought the body of Christ tasted like cardboard. In summary, I wanted to believe in what my Family wanted, but nothing ever came to me.

Over the time I have studied, I have also met some wonderful people in my small community that are also Pagan. Thanks to Witchvox (An online community to find local Pagans,) I met a woman in my community named Tammy, and she has been teaching me as well. In fact, I participated in a Ritual with her, her friend Autumn, and as a surprise, one of my friend's mother's, Chelli. I even called in the water quarter for the group. It was the most wonderful, magickal experience I have ever had in my life.

Now, what I would like to know, if there are any Pagans/Wiccans in the gaia community. I'm also curious about finding a guild to join who's focus is Paganism. Currently, I'm learning about everything possible, but one topic I am really interested in, is Faeries. (If anyone knows any good websites to learn about the Fae folk, please let me know!)

)O( Blessed be!
- Anna

If you want to learn about faries and pagan stuff then you should visit the Supernatural forum.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
JediDillon
Witcherz

)O( Blessed be!
- Anna

If you want to learn about faries and pagan stuff then you should visit the Supernatural forum.
Paganism is a group of religions. ...
JediDillon
Witcherz

)O( Blessed be!
- Anna

Threads dealing with pagan religions, unless they are just chat threads belong here. It's called Morality and Religion for a reason.

Fluffy Pumpkin

7,950 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Doctrix

If you are not yet an adult, your parents are responsible for your religious upbringing. You'll have to earn their respect for your beliefs by not going behind their backs to read books and participate in rituals with others. In fact, if the people you've met are teaching you without your parents' permission if you're not yet an adult, that is highly suspicious and reflects poorly on them and their practice. If you are an adult, however, you can circumvent such conversations with your parents entirely by keeping your religion private.

Actually, Doctrix, I am 18 years old. I began learning about the craft around fall of last year (when I was 17) but did not begin practicing the craft until I turned 18 on May 30th.
I do try my best to keep my religious beliefs as private as possible, but when my mother brings it up, I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.
For example, recently, we found a kitten in the woods, which by the permission of my father, we were allowed to keep. I was thinking of a fitting name for her, so I suggested "Stella", and "Serena". My mother grimaced at both of those names and said "I don't want our new kitten to have a witchy name."
Moments like that make me frustrated, because I know she was referring to it as an insult to my beliefs.

Also, thank you very much for all the information. Blessed be!

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Doctrix
If you are not yet an adult, your parents are responsible for your religious upbringing. You'll have to earn their respect for your beliefs by not going behind their backs to read books and participate in rituals with others.

QFT

Doctrix
Aw nuts, I have a book about faeries written

What sources did you use?

Aged Browser

7,675 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Err- just so you know "Wicca" is a can of worms on the forums. For that I would direct you to the supernatural forms, just for the Wicca thread there you will find more sources and more people who are part of that religious structure.

I am a neo-pagan who has dabbled in witchcraft before. I've been part of this religious sub section for almost 5 years now. Before that I bounced around looking for a place- at first I got a lot of garbage from my mother who was not keen on all the books that had something to do with Wicca laying around my room; I don't call myself a Wiccan because I don't agree with all the beliefs and practices they have- also I find the whole issue of what it is or what's it's not to be a big turn off. Either way my mother has gotten use to my religious differences and slowly began to be more accepting towards them, particularly after I left for college.

Blessed Be. )o(

Blessed Friend

CuAnnan
What sources did you use?

I should clarify before I post this list of books that much of my book was on the history and mythology of elementals, and not just on fairy stories, but here you go:

Arrowsmith, Nancy. Field Guide to the Little People: A Curious Journey Into the Hidden Realm of Elves, Faeris, Hobgoblins & Other Not-So-Mythical Creatures. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2009.
Leland, Charles Godfrey. Aradia: The Gospel of the Witches. Calgary, Alberta, Canada: Theophania Publishing, 2010.
McCoy, Edain. A Witch's Guide to Faery Folk. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2010.
Mackenzie, Vicki. Why Buddhism? Westerners in Search of Wisdom. Hammersmith, London: Thorsons, 2003.
Melville, Francis. The Book of Faeries: A Guide to the World of Elves, Pixies, Goblins, and Other Magic Spirits. Hauppauge, NY: Quarto Inc., 2002.
Moon, Janell. How to Pray Without Being Religious: Finding Your Own Spiritual Path. Hammersmith, London: Thorsons, 2004.
Moura, Ann. Green Magic: The Sacred Connection to Nature. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2010.
Om, Mya. The Un-Spell Book: Energy Essentials for Mastering Magick. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2010.
Osho. The ABC of Enlightenment: A Spiritual Dictionary for the Here and Now. Hammersmith, London: Element, 2003.
Virtue, Doreen. Fairies 101: An Introduction to Connecting, Working and Healing with the Fairies and Other Elementals. Carlsbad, CA: Hay House, 2011.

Witcherz
Doctrix, I am 18 years old. I began learning about the craft around fall of last year (when I was 17) but did not begin practicing the craft until I turned 18 on May 30th.
I do try my best to keep my religious beliefs as private as possible, but when my mother brings it up, I feel the need to stand up for my beliefs.

How come?

Witcherz
For example, recently, we found a kitten in the woods, which by the permission of my father, we were allowed to keep. I was thinking of a fitting name for her, so I suggested "Stella", and "Serena". My mother grimaced at both of those names and said "I don't want our new kitten to have a witchy name."
Moments like that make me frustrated, because I know she was referring to it as an insult to my beliefs.

That seems like a stretch on both your parts to me. Have you considered being the bigger person? Letting the light of your beliefs shine through you? Demonstrating your confidence by not sinking to petty bickering with or provoking your mom? She was rude to lash back, but I also think it was pretty cheeky of you to ask to name their cat after Goddesses, knowing they disapproved of Paganism. For the record, my family is as Pagan as they come and our cats are named things like Clutter, Furrington, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. I suggest that you earn respect with respect, otherwise all your mom is going to think (wrongly or otherwise) is that ever since her daughter got involved with witchcraft she started being really nasty and insecure, and that can reflect poorly on your religion.
SuziBellatrix
Err- just so you know "Wicca" is a can of worms on the forums. For that I would direct you to the supernatural forms, just for the Wicca thread there you will find more sources and more people who are part of that religious structure.

MR is where discussions on the facts of religion belong. That thread may have more people who claim to be Wiccan in it but that doesn't make it a better thread nor forum to go to.

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Doctrix

Osho. The ABC of Enlightenment: A Spiritual Dictionary for the Here and Now. Hammersmith, London: Element, 2003.

Ugh Osho is not a good source.

Blessed Friend

The Catfish Blues
Osho is not a good source.

Perhaps you can suggest some better source alternatives for the original poster so that we don't hijack the thread too far off topic with critique?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff