Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Explorer

Xiam
You think a person can become a law expert overnight, just because they read the goddamn Constitution? No. It doesn't ******** work like that. You go to college, you study law, all the court cases and interpretations that have come before you, and you follow the trends over the years. And you certainly don't go thinking that what was acceptable in 1787 is acceptable now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic
Change isn't necessarily progress, and relying on men to teach you to interpret the infallible word of God opens the door to fallacies.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Iustificati
Xiam
You think a person can become a law expert overnight, just because they read the goddamn Constitution? No. It doesn't ******** work like that. You go to college, you study law, all the court cases and interpretations that have come before you, and you follow the trends over the years. And you certainly don't go thinking that what was acceptable in 1787 is acceptable now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectic
Change isn't necessarily progress, and relying on men to teach you to interpret the infallible word of God opens the door to fallacies.

You do realize you're a fallable human being, right? As were the authors of the Bible.

Beloved Explorer

Xiam
You do realize you're a fallable human being, right? As were the authors of the Bible.

If you truly believe that God didn't divinely inspire the Bible, I encourage you to research the painstaking work put into its preservation. Learn about prophecy... it's not the shoddy, self-contradicting piece of garbage that popular culture purports it to be. It proves itself. You might look back now and be unimpressed by the tons and tons of prophecies that have already been proven to have been correct, but it's enough for me not to question it. And no, it's not a clever backdating trick. Even modern scholars admit that copies of the books that comprise the Bible precede the events they prophesied.

As for my own human nature, well... lol. It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that I've been able to comprehend any bit of it. I'm a pretty smart guy as far as book smarts go, but the Gospel is tricky when you try to go it alone. Neither the creation or the comprehension are the result of my work.

Edited for clarity and use of real-life words.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Iustificati
Xiam

If you truly believe that God didn't divinely inspire the Bible, I encourage you to research the painstaking work put into its preservation. Learn about prophecy... it's not the shoddy, self-contradicting piece of garbage that popular culture purports it to be. It proves itself. You might look back now and be unimpressed by the tons and tons of prophecies that have already been proven to have been correct, but it's enough for me not to question it. And no, it's not a clever backdating trick. Even modern scholars admit that copies of the books that comprise the Bible precede the events they prophesied.

As for my own human nature, well... lol. It is only by the power of the Holy Spirit that I've been able to comprehend any bit of it. I'm a pretty smart guy as far as book smarts go, but the Gospel is tricky when you try to go it alone. Neither the creation or the comprehension are the result of my work.

emotion_facepalm

I really don't have time for this s**t tonight.

Beloved Explorer

Xiam

I'm here all week. mrgreen

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Iustificati
Xiam

I'm here all week. mrgreen

Alright. I've gotten a good four-ish hours of sleep, and I'm not in the middle of playing Monster Hunter (which is immensely more fun than talking to nutjobs on Gaia), so let's give this a shot.

Iustificati
Xiam

Goddammit, I misspelled "fallible." Sorry, off-topic.

Iustificati
If you truly believe that God didn't divinely inspire the Bible, I encourage you to research the painstaking work put into its preservation.

Into preserving the Bible? So like... translation preservation? Because that s**t is kind of off-kilter. What's more, I'm not talking about preservation. Preservation is a matter of the reverence of those who follow its words, not a matter of the creation itself. What's worse, there are plenty of scientific and historical errors in the Bible, not even related to the whole Creationism nonsense. Still, as an example, let's look at Genesis 1:14-19...

Quote:
And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons,[a] and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

Two problems here. First, who is using these signs? Man isn't going to be around for another two days, even in this myth, and humans all around the world use many different methods to mark the seasons. The Egyptians didn't even need the sky for that, they followed the Nile's annual flooding and receding to mark when it was time to plant their crops. And not even getting into the fact that light and darkness, and day and night, were both made on the first day, there's still the issue of the moon being treated as a "light" at night, when it's actually reflecting light. What's worse, it's not always out at night. For half a lunar month, it's actually out during the day. And sometimes it's gone altogether.

Need more? Leviticus 11:13-19, birds that are unclean. Vultures, ravens, owls, alright, yada yada... wait, what's this? The bat? But bats are mammals! Furthermore, 11:6, it lists rabbits as chewing cud. Which they do not.

I'm actually starting to wear down now, but here are some links if you are interested in more. Moving on to the big one.

Iustificati
Learn about prophecy... it's not the shoddy, self-contradicting piece of garbage that popular culture purports it to be. It proves itself. You might look back now and be unimpressed by the tons and tons of prophecies that have already been proven to have been correct, but it's enough for me not to question it. And no, it's not a clever backdating trick. Even modern scholars admit that copies of the books that comprise the Bible precede the events they prophesied.

This is always hilarious when people bring it up. "But it's consistent! It proves itself! No. It doesn't. It really doesn't. The "fulfilled" prophecy about a virgin birth? Not about an actual virgin, but a young woman. And not about Mary either. Also it mentioned a son named Emmanuel. Know who isn't called Emmanuel? Jesus.

Speaking of Jesus, the Messiah was supposed to be something of a warrior-king. In fact, there are other people who have come along that actually fit the prophecy of the Messiah better than Jesus. It's actually a bit strange that the Cult of Jesus of Nazareth survived, to be honest, given the track record and death of its supposed Messiah. But somehow they managed to bullshit people into thinking his death was "all part of the plan." Which, by the way, was never a part of the prophecy.

Actually... now that I think of it... that bit I linked above, the Wikipedia segment about the Jewish view of unfulfilled prophecies...
Quote:
Christian apologists claim that Jesus fulfilled these prophecies, which they argue are nearly impossible to fulfill by chance.

Now... call me skeptic, but there is an alternative to this. Nearly impossible to fulfill by chance, but incredibly easy to fulfill by fabrication.

But you know... something funny about a book which supposedly fulfills all the same prophecies it comes up with... I could say that Macbeth is divinely inspired, because the prophecies of the Weird Sisters come true. Within Macbeth. But, of course, they were witches, and probably in league with the Devil. And the prophecies of Greek myth, those were done with the assistance of "false gods," so I don't suppose they count either? Still... prophecy.

Also, Harry Potter fulfilled the prophecy about the Chosen One who would lead to the downfall of the Dark Lord Voldemort. All hail the Boy Who Lived!

But what about the real world? The world outside of literature and prophecies fulfilled within the text itself? Funny thing. The Bible mentions the End of Days coming sometime before those who lived at the time of Jesus died. Supposedly, as spoken by Jesus himself. What's more, the most damning prophecies concerning that period haven't happened yet. And those that supposedly have are so vague that they could be taken to mean anything. Nostradamus had a knack for something very similar.

Where's Wormwood? Where's the Mark of the Beast? Are you aware that most of Revelation is a thinly veiled attack on the Roman Empire? Are you aware that the Roman Empire is gone now? Does this mean we're in the New Kingdom now? Should we be awaiting the Next Testament of the Bible? Because we seem to be lacking on new divine guidance.

(After all, if the Word of God was perfect and didn't need any further interpretation or addition... why did we have the New Testament? Why did we need Jesus at all?)

Iustificati

So basically you don't ******** know. Your "power of the Holy Spirit" is an excuse to interpret however the hell you want, because you feel it should be this way. Just as I could claim that with my above reference to Harry Potter, that series was divinely inspired. No evidence for him, you say? We have the books about his life to prove it! And I don't have to prove it to you, you have to disprove it to me! Or you should do your research on Harry Potter. King's Cross is an actual train station. London is a real place. Things exist! Everything else, you just have to take on faith, right? Allow the Holy Spirit of Magic into your heart, and you will understand everything.

I've been told I'm pretty smart too. I say "I've been told," because I've already established it as being less about smart, and more about that I've made an effort to learn as much as possible... and, that my brain never shuts up. I'm constantly thinking, and it's kind of become a burden upon me. But it, along with the knowledge I've gathered, has led me down various interesting avenues of philosophical and religious study.

And I learned it from many scholars.

Something you said before, that I'm sorry that I missed commenting on at the time.

Iustificati
Change isn't necessarily progress...

I beg to differ. I'll never be the first to claim novelty is improvement - all those infomercials for gadgets that supposedly simplify your life are largely gimmicky bullshit. However, look at the progress we've made over the past hundred years alone, in sanitation, medicine, genetics, astronomy, chemistry, physics, law, technology... s**t, even though our environment is going to Hell in a handbasket, even energy production and use has improved. Somewhat.

We understand our place in the world so much better than we once did. And that was because we looked to the study of others, scrutinized, improved, and passed it on.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Change is not always progress. But neither is stagnant adherence to tradition. Things are not always better because they are old. They have only withstood the test of time because of stubborn anti-intellectuals who think that anything new is evil, and have convinced others of the same. It's the same type of issue that leads to old people to find themselves befuddled and mistrustful of technology, and leads to the old cliche of an old man who thinks teens are much more disrespectful and corrupt than kids were back in the Good Old Days when he was a disrespectful and corrupt piece of s**t.

Iustificati

As opposed to what, Elvish?

Beloved Explorer

Why do you even bother to read the Bible if you don't believe it? If you're just going to let your "scholarly" leadership spood-feed you everything, you may as well just toss your copy in the trash. What truth could you possibly ascertain when your own belief is so convoluted you can't even clearly articulate it? If you question the divinity of Christ, the entire gospel is utterly destroyed. Nothing about what you believe or think you understand is worth anything. Why would you spend half your life studying something just to run away from the obvious answer? Your brain sure isn't going to save you.

Shirtless Member

Iustificati
Why do you even bother to read Harry Potter if you don't believe it? If you're just going to let your "scholarly" leadership spood-feed you everything, you may as well just toss your copy in the trash. What truth could you possibly ascertain when your own belief is so convoluted you can't even clearly articulate it? If you question the divinity of The Boy Who Lived, the entire story is utterly destroyed. Nothing about what you believe or think you understand is worth anything. Why would you spend half your life studying something just to run away from the obvious answer? Your brain sure isn't going to save you.

Couldn't help myself after reading Xiam's post.

Beloved Explorer

ratgirl34
Iustificati
Why do you even bother to read Harry Potter if you don't believe it? If you're just going to let your "scholarly" leadership spood-feed you everything, you may as well just toss your copy in the trash. What truth could you possibly ascertain when your own belief is so convoluted you can't even clearly articulate it? If you question the divinity of The Boy Who Lived, the entire story is utterly destroyed. Nothing about what you believe or think you understand is worth anything. Why would you spend half your life studying something just to run away from the obvious answer? Your brain sure isn't going to save you.

Lol, I said spood-feed. Who claims Harry Potter is anything BUT fiction? Enthusiasts exist, but they don't convince themselves it's anything to base your life on.

Shirtless Member

Iustificati
ratgirl34
Iustificati

Lol, I said spood-feed. Who claims Harry Potter is anything BUT fiction? Enthusiasts exist, but they don't convince themselves it's anything to base your life on.

The real life Jedi order would beg to differ on the point of not basing their lives off of a work of fiction.

Beloved Explorer

Wait, they're serious? I always assumed it was an elaborate gag, and certainly never felt compelled to investigate...

Newbie Noob

Golden Black Tea
Thanks. I've been a Protestant Christian for about 12 years, and it seems like almost everyone who claims Christ on Gaia is so too (with the exception of the occasional Roman Catholic).
Well, RC is part of the label Orthodox Christianity.

Truthfully, the groups of Orthodox Christians, including RC, are pretty generally uniform in their beliefs. They have differences, but they're pretty minor compared to the differences between Orthodox and Protestant.

Personally, if Christ was really the Messiah, then the group of Orthodox Christians would be the "correct" denomination, since most of them can their lineage back to Jesus. Why would Jesus, an all knowing being, start a church that didn't back His own words? I mean, He's God, shouldn't He have the foresight to fix any problems down the road?

That said, why exactly are you shopping around for a religion? It should be a calling, not a shopping trip. If you're really confused about religion, maybe the answer is not replacing it with another religion, but no religion at all.

Beloved Explorer

Slutty_Eddie
Golden Black Tea
Thanks. I've been a Protestant Christian for about 12 years, and it seems like almost everyone who claims Christ on Gaia is so too (with the exception of the occasional Roman Catholic).
Well, RC is part of the label Orthodox Christianity.

Truthfully, the groups of Orthodox Christians, including RC, are pretty generally uniform in their beliefs. They have differences, but they're pretty minor compared to the differences between Orthodox and Protestant.

Personally, if Christ was really the Messiah, then the group of Orthodox Christians would be the "correct" denomination, since most of them can their lineage back to Jesus. Why would Jesus, an all knowing being, start a church that didn't back His own words? I mean, He's God, shouldn't He have the foresight to fix any problems down the road?

That said, why exactly are you shopping around for a religion? It should be a calling, not a shopping trip. If you're really confused about religion, maybe the answer is not replacing it with another religion, but no religion at all.
Three things:
1. Why would you say Protestantism doesn't back Jesus?
2. Why do you assume that if man divided something, it's God's lack of foresight?
3. If by no religion you mean focus on your relationship with God, I agree. I vote relationship!

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Xiam
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
Does anyone know anything about Orthodox Christianity (OC)? Grew up OC or know any family members who are in it? I'm considering converting.

Jesus Christ spoke of no denominations. I suggest just reading the scripture, if there is something you don't understand or sounds odd, as it will to anyone who has just begun in the spirit, as the words of God are spirit, to just put those things on the shelf and be patient and continue reading in the meantime. Try not to uplift popular preachers or churches as truth. Being a child of God, it is a personal relationship.

That is my advice to you. Just keep reading and studying, and don't stop.
So it's relative?

Thanks for the advice. Also, Orthodox Christianity isn't a denomination. It's been there well before denominations were even a thought.

Ah thanks, I put that asshat on ignore ages ago, so I wouldn't have noticed his post if not for you replying.

anonymous attributes
Jesus Christ spoke of no denominations.

Here's the thing. And I'm going to need help from the audience here.

Siddartha Buddha and Mohammed Prophet (I'm referring to them by names AA will understand here). Did they ever speak of denominations of Buddhism or Islam?

Because I'm inclined to believe they didn't. The origins of a faith or philosophy don't generally do that. It's only with future interpretations, various opinions and takes on something someone has said, that separate into groups.

And that's the trouble with finding your own interpretation, in a way. Going only by something someone said, with no education on the context of their statements, a person is inclined to draw their own conclusions and pervert it. s**t, that's what a lot of sects (in all of these) have already done. And you are suggesting that someone do it themselves? I'm no fan of organized religion, but without a teacher who knows what these old, dead people were talking about, you're not going to get far.

Thank you for elaborating. You hit the nail on the head and this is my main issue against protestantism. This is where Catholicism and Orthodox Christianity have strengths in that they help you understand the context through the teaching of the church which has been handed down since the inception of the church itself.

I'm not saying Protestants can't do interpretation satisfactorily, but I believe most do it rather poorly without much help from the early church Fathers.

Anyways, thanks.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Iustificati
I say read your Bible because most denominations, including varieties of Orthodoxy, do things that have no Biblical foundation. No denomination will fill the hole. :/

You can try to argue that as long as your heart is in the right place, that makes it good, but God disagreed so strongly, he killed his own priests for taking new ideas upon themselves. Check out Leviticus 10.
Every Christian practices their faith in ways that have absolutely no Biblcal foundation.

Sola Scriptura is one example among many.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff