Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Does anyone know anything about Orthodox Christianity (OC)? Grew up OC or know any family members who are in it? I'm considering converting.

Beloved Explorer

I'd warn against any "ism," and advice you to read the Bible.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Iustificati
I'd warn against any "ism," and advice you to read the Bible.
Orthodox Christians read the bible. Your point?

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I really don't see the point, but if you really want to convert, do your research as to what the religion is about, the basic fundamentals.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Blood Valkyrie
I really don't see the point, but if you really want to convert, do your research as to what the religion is about, the basic fundamentals.
Of course, but it certainly helps to get some advice from a personal perspective. Facts are good, but experience has weight too.
Golden Black Tea
Does anyone know anything about Orthodox Christianity (OC)? Grew up OC or know any family members who are in it? I'm considering converting.

Jesus Christ spoke of no denominations. I suggest just reading the scripture, if there is something you don't understand or sounds odd, as it will to anyone who has just begun in the spirit, as the words of God are spirit, to just put those things on the shelf and be patient and continue reading in the meantime. Try not to uplift popular preachers or churches as truth. Being a child of God, it is a personal relationship.

That is my advice to you. Just keep reading and studying, and don't stop.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

Jesus Christ spoke of no denominations. I suggest just reading the scripture, if there is something you don't understand or sounds odd, as it will to anyone who has just begun in the spirit, as the words of God are spirit, to just put those things on the shelf and be patient and continue reading in the meantime. Try not to uplift popular preachers or churches as truth. Being a child of God, it is a personal relationship.

So it's relative?

Thanks for the advice. Also, Orthodox Christianity isn't a denomination. It's been there well before denominations were even a thought.
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

So it's relative?

Thanks for the advice. Also, Orthodox Christianity isn't a denomination. It's been there well before denominations were even a thought.

Its not relative, but there are many "churches" or groups or denominations which association themselves with certain doctrines, and when I hear anything with a name on it, I am weary of just that. The Holy Ghost interprets scripture, everyone else should only be for guidance, and suggestion.

Be weary of listening to a particular group, instead, pray to God and ask for His holy spirit, and be patient. learning and understanding Gods word can take a long time, since we were spiritual devoid before we came to Him. Its a whole new growth process and a journey to be sure, but a good one.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

So it's relative?

Its not relative, but there are many "churches" or groups or denominations which association themselves with certain doctrines, and when I hear anything with a name on it, I am weary of just that. The Holy Ghost interprets scripture, everyone else should only be for guidance, and suggestion.

Be weary of listening to a particular group, instead, pray to God and ask for His holy spirit, and be patient. learning and understanding Gods word can take a long time, since we were spiritual devoid before we came to Him. Its a whole new growth process and a journey to be sure, but a good one.
Thanks. I've been a Protestant Christian for about 12 years, and it seems like almost everyone who claims Christ on Gaia is so too (with the exception of the occasional Roman Catholic).

No matter how you look at it, every believer is in a "group". It's justthat we shouldn't allow a label to totally define who we are in Christ.

The responses you've given me were the same I use to give to others. It's surreal how so alike they are.
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

So it's relative?

Thanks. I've been a Protestant Christian for about 12 years, and it seems like almost everyone who claims Christ on Gaia is so too (with the exception of the occasional Roman Catholic).

No matter how you look at it, every believer is in a "group". It's justthat we shouldn't allow a label to totally define who we are in Christ.

The responses you've given me were the same I use to give to others. It's surreal how so alike they are.

Letting the scripture define itself and explain itself through the holy spirit and with prayer. That is the honest man.

2,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

So it's relative?

Letting the scripture define itself and explain itself through the holy spirit and with prayer. That is the honest man.
I don't know if letting me decide if something is true or not is the best way to go about interpreting the bible. Why do you think we have so many denominations???

A lot of Christians were left to interpret the Bible on their own. Sure, the Holy Spirit helps out, but the individual then has to decide in the end what's true or not. As a result, Protestant Christianity has nearly 2000 denominations. Hence the main argument for my departure from Protestant Christianity.
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea
So it's relative?

I don't know if letting me decide if something is true or not is the best way to go about interpreting the bible. Why do you think we have so many denominations???

A lot of Christians were left to interpret the Bible on their own. Sure, the Holy Spirit helps out, but the individual then has to decide in the end what's true or not. As a result, Protestant Christianity has nearly 2000 denominations. Hence the main argument for my departure from Protestant Christianity.

The holy spirit does not cause division, but our own interpretation does. I certainly did not suggest that the spirit of man decide anything.

Shirtless Member

Well, it depends on how orthodox you want to be. Do you still want to be able to wear mixed fabrics? If so you might want to tone it back to a sane degree.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Golden Black Tea
anonymous attributes
Golden Black Tea

So it's relative?

Ah thanks, I put that asshat on ignore ages ago, so I wouldn't have noticed his post if not for you replying.

anonymous attributes
Jesus Christ spoke of no denominations.

Here's the thing. And I'm going to need help from the audience here.

Siddartha Buddha and Mohammed Prophet (I'm referring to them by names AA will understand here). Did they ever speak of denominations of Buddhism or Islam?

Because I'm inclined to believe they didn't. The origins of a faith or philosophy don't generally do that. It's only with future interpretations, various opinions and takes on something someone has said, that separate into groups.

And that's the trouble with finding your own interpretation, in a way. Going only by something someone said, with no education on the context of their statements, a person is inclined to draw their own conclusions and pervert it. s**t, that's what a lot of sects (in all of these) have already done. And you are suggesting that someone do it themselves? I'm no fan of organized religion, but without a teacher who knows what these old, dead people were talking about, you're not going to get far.

You think a person can become a law expert overnight, just because they read the goddamn Constitution? No. It doesn't ******** work like that. You go to college, you study law, all the court cases and interpretations that have come before you, and you follow the trends over the years. And you certainly don't go thinking that what was acceptable in 1787 is acceptable now.

Beloved Explorer

I say read your Bible because most denominations, including varieties of Orthodoxy, do things that have no Biblical foundation. No denomination will fill the hole. :/

You can try to argue that as long as your heart is in the right place, that makes it good, but God disagreed so strongly, he killed his own priests for taking new ideas upon themselves. Check out Leviticus 10.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff