Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Do you believe in everyone born with the original sin?

Yes 0.17391304347826 17.4% [ 12 ]
No 0.73913043478261 73.9% [ 51 ]
Not sure 0.08695652173913 8.7% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 69 ]
1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 >

I have a question about original sin in christianity. Assuming that you believe in everyone born with the original sin that came from adam and eve.
Is it correct to say that we inherit the original sin from adam and eve?

and if it is, why didn't god forgive adam and eve? and why should the sin of someone in the past affect you now? do you get the sin of your parents? or grandparents? and if you don't inherit sin from your parents then why do you inherit it from adam and eve?

and if you do. is it fair? that you be judged for someone elses actions? if my dad murders someone, it is right that i would go to jail for it too? And God is forgiving right? and he loves you? would would a god that forgives and loves you create you with the sin of another person?

I might have more questions about this topic but this is all for right now. Do you have an answer for me?
Yes and no...

I don't think of it in a legalistic way. That is, original "sin" but not inherited guilt. The idea of an inherited sinful nature, to me, is not about being guilty because of something other people did (by legalistic, I mean the idea of being born with a debt that needs to be paid). What is inherited is a distorted nature. This makes more sense to me... after all, nobody is directly responsible in terms of guilt for the mistakes of their parents, but your parents mistakes still affect who you are as a person and your life.

I hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to ask.
Majnooni
Yes and no...

I don't think of it in a legalistic way. That is, original "sin" but not inherited guilt. The idea of an inherited sinful nature, to me, is not about being guilty because of something other people did (by legalistic, I mean the idea of being born with a debt that needs to be paid). What is inherited is a distorted nature. This makes more sense to me... after all, nobody is directly responsible in terms of guilt for the mistakes of their parents, but your parents mistakes still affect who you are as a person and your life.

ok thank you it does kind of make sense.

Adored Admirer

Majnooni
Yes and no...

That is more of the biblical perspective.
Majnooni
Yes and no...

This, more or less. We aren't guiltily of the sins of Adam and Eve, however the repercussions of their sin has, sadly, caused us all to be born into sin. That is to say, we are no longer perfect and are sinful in nature.
blackheartgirl2
Majnooni
Yes and no...

ok thank you it does kind of make sense.

No, it does not make sense. A mere act of disobedience can really "break" the universe?

And I've argued elsewhere that the idea of original sin is self-contradictory.

Aged Lunatic

Brilliant conversion tool by Christianity, I gotta say; convince someone that even as a BABY they've screwed up enough to piss off God.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Original sin started in my brief (thankfully) romp through christianity as a method for parents to blame their children for their woes and hardships.

Towards the end of my brief (thankfully) romp through said religion, i found that they had changed the definition of original sin to instead blame the older generation for the suffering of the younger generation.

I.E. You birthed me and now life sucks. Whereas before it was thanks to you being born life now sucks.

Truly a great scapegoat to pacify people until they learn to hone their perceptions, but a scapegoat that is not necessary.
The only thing that the idea of Original Sin manages to accomplish is to make God look like either a fool or an arse.
God created everything in the Garden of Eden, including the tree of life and knowledge.
Being omniscient, God fully well knew that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree of life, but He forbade it anyway. After this blatant entrapment, he cursed the rest of humanity forever. Then, he was only able to forgive this action when he had himself sent down in human form and mangled and mutilated on a few planks of wood.

So; to sum up, he was only able to forgive something that he caused in the first place by having someone tortured to death, causing rampant guilt and blatant anti-semitism for thousands of years. Now, who can say that those are the actions of a being who wasn't either a p***k or was an idiot?

Aged Lunatic

Fermionic
The only thing that the idea of Original Sin manages to accomplish is to make God look like either a fool or an arse.
God created everything in the Garden of Eden, including the tree of life and knowledge.
Being omniscient, God fully well knew that Adam and Eve would eat from the tree of life, but He forbade it anyway. After this blatant entrapment, he cursed the rest of humanity forever. Then, he was only able to forgive this action when he had himself sent down in human form and mangled and mutilated on a few planks of wood.

So; to sum up, he was only able to forgive something that he caused in the first place by having someone tortured to death, causing rampant guilt and blatant anti-semitism for thousands of years. Now, who can say that those are the actions of a being who wasn't either a p***k or was an idiot?

Wanna see something fun? Wait till a Christian responds to this with "But God gave us Free Will, he wouldn't force us....". Then when you get to 88 miles an hour you're gonna see some serious s**t.
GunsmithKitten
Fermionic

Wanna see something fun? Wait till a Christian responds to this with "But God gave us Free Will, he wouldn't force us....". Then when you get to 88 miles an hour you're gonna see some serious s**t.

Excuse me?

Aged Lunatic

Fermionic
GunsmithKitten
Fermionic

Excuse me?

What you posted will, likely, get counter-pointed with the "but he gave us free will and didn't want us to be puppets" argument.

When it happens, I got something special planned to hit em with. it's gonna be FUNNNNNNNNN....
GunsmithKitten
Fermionic
GunsmithKitten
Fermionic

Excuse me?

What you posted will, likely, get counter-pointed with the "but he gave us free will and didn't want us to be puppets" argument.

When it happens, I got something special planned to hit em with. it's gonna be FUNNNNNNNNN....

Oh. I had that covered already, but go for it.
By Biblical logic "The sins of the father are visited upon the children". It's in Exodus chapter 20. The Father not the Mother which is the reason Jesus could be born without sin, because he had God for a father not a human. It's also the reason that new born infants can die, they inherited their father's sin. "For the wages of sin are death" Supposedly without sin you can not die. The reason that Jesus died was because he took our sins upon himself.
Mind you, I'm an agnostic and I don't believe all of this but it is fairly common teaching in certain churches.
Mowata
Majnooni
Yes and no...

This, more or less. We aren't guiltily of the sins of Adam and Eve, however the repercussions of their sin has, sadly, caused us all to be born into sin. That is to say, we are no longer perfect and are sinful in nature.

But adam and eve could not have been perfect then either because they sinned.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff