Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was recently watching something on the Discover Channel and something very interesting was mentioned. It had given a new view on what could of happened during the Exodus. They had mentioned that it was possible that Moses was really a son of the pharoah, but had rebelled. The part that stood out to me was that the Hebrew's religion actually was based on polytheism but had stated that all other gods were destroyed to become one singular God . I'm curious to see what anyone else thinks about this.
RyujinX
I was recently watching something on the Discover Channel and something very interesting was mentioned. It had given a new view on what could of happened during the Exodus. They had mentioned that it was possible that Moses was really a son of the pharoah, but had rebelled. The part that stood out to me was that the Hebrew's religion actually was based on polytheism but had stated that all other gods were destroyed to become one singular God . I'm curious to see what anyone else thinks about this.

Did it have any proof of this?
Not on the religion, but the show was actually set up as a crime investigation dealing with the death of Rameses and his Son. However im just trying to see if anyone else knows about the relion issue.
SilverSkyDragon
RyujinX

I don't remember seeing that last bit on that particular documentary- it must have been very quick and I missed it. However, for you asking for proof there, this was at least an actual documentary and I too have seen it. Though I think the other topics covered in it were far more interesting, namely, the death of Rameses' eldest son.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
SilverSkyDragon
RyujinX

To the best of my knowledge, the best evidence that supports this theory is the names of God in the Torath. Many are male, many are female and many are plural.
The Jews were analy retentive about words at the time.
Brynn Marcus
SilverSkyDragon
RyujinX

I don't remember seeing that last bit on that particular documentary- it must have been very quick and I missed it. However, for you asking for proof there, this was at least an actual documentary and I too have seen it. Though I think the other topics covered in it were far more interesting, namely, the death of Rameses' eldest son.

They did only mention it briefly, but it somehow was the thing that caught my attention the most.
well, all religions basically came from the polytheistic beliefs of ancient peoples. i'm not so sure other gods were merely destroyed/combined into one god in the mythical sense, but perhaps the point was that the belief in many gods was condensed into the belief in one, which would obviously include all the traits they had believed their old gods to have had.
you may be thinking of the point in a more story-sense, where the gods magically combined into one, but i think it's just a fancy, metaphorical way of saying polytheism became monotheism.
The Jews were already Jews when they were in Egypt. The religion was not started becasue of Moses. How does Moses being the pharoh's son have to do with Judaism coming from polytheism.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff