Welcome to Gaia! ::

That's right, folks, another rant by SamuraiMujuru.
Author's Note-The following are opinons I have built up over the years through watching and studying of myself and those around me, be they adults, peers, younger children, etc. etc. etc. They are not meant to offend, mearly inspire thought and debate. If my views DO offend, my sincerest apologies.

Well start with the topic line. Is love love anymore? It is my opinion that love, in current society, has lost the meaning it once held. Why, you may ask? Take a look around sometime, listen closely. Love is tossed around so casually, you'll hear people one week say "oh, I just met my new boyfriend/girlfriend, he/she's so sweet, I love them", in the not to far future, typically, you will see them moping "oh my bf/gf left me, I'm so hurt" but a week later its back to "oh, I just met my new boyfriend/girlfriend, he/she's so sweet, I love them". Wait? Hardly any time goes by and they're already out of love with the person before and in love with the new one? When did it become that easy?

Love has become a catch phrase. "Buy this *insert object here* to show the love of your life how you feel" Wait, so you mean if I buy that specific object, it'll show I love them? But company A over there says it too, as does company B-Z. "I love you" is used constantly as an excuse, an apology, or a means to get down someone's pants.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that out there there are people who mean it, who understand it, and to be honest, I'm one of the people of the opinion that love actually can conquer all. It just gets my blood boiling to see the word dragged through the mud.

*bows* I hope you enjoyed my small rant. Typically its much longer, but I'm having a bit of difficulty remembering the full thing (lack of sleep'll do that to you)
By all means, questions, comments, and debates are welcome, I enjoy them greatly.
Quote:
Well start with the topic line. Is love love anymore? It is my opinion that love, in current society, has lost the meaning it once held. Why, you may ask? Take a look around sometime, listen closely. Love is tossed around so casually, you'll hear people one week say "oh, I just met my new boyfriend/girlfriend, he/she's so sweet, I love them", in the not to far future, typically, you will see them moping "oh my bf/gf left me, I'm so hurt" but a week later its back to "oh, I just met my new boyfriend/girlfriend, he/she's so sweet, I love them". Wait? Hardly any time goes by and they're already out of love with the person before and in love with the new one? When did it become that easy?

The modern image of love was developed in the early 20th century. Before then it was mainly arranged courtships and numerous rules. That's also not love. That's relationships. Love is something more than that.

Quote:
Love has become a catch phrase. "Buy this *insert object here* to show the love of your life how you feel" Wait, so you mean if I buy that specific object, it'll show I love them? But company A over there says it too, as does company B-Z. "I love you" is used constantly as an excuse, an apology, or a means to get down someone's pants.

That's large corporations and people using something important to get to people. That's hardly love, that's love being used. The fact that it works means that love still means something to people.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I do believe that out there there are people who mean it, who understand it, and to be honest, I'm one of the people of the opinion that love actually can conquer all. It just gets my blood boiling to see the word dragged through the mud.

Well ******** you. You're not so ********' special.

Quote:
*bows* I hope you enjoyed my small rant. Typically its much longer, but I'm having a bit of difficulty remembering the full thing (lack of sleep'll do that to you)
By all means, questions, comments, and debates are welcome, I enjoy them greatly.

You're a dumbass, and a tool.
DemonNick
Quote:

The modern image of love was developed in the early 20th century. Before then it was mainly arranged courtships and numerous rules. That's also not love. That's relationships. Love is something more than that.

Hm. Actually, I beg to differ. The "modern" concept of love actually can be drawn back to the days of Ancient Greece and even further to epics such as Gilgamesh and the Ramayana. However, the idea of marriage for love is modern.

The best proof of text I can give you is Plato's "Symposium" in which love is discussed at length. Passionate love is very much described, as is "pure love" or the idea that a man and a woman (or a man and a man, or woman and woman, actually) were once one being, but split and became two and you eternally search for your counterpart (I cannot remember the name of the philosopher who brought this point up...)

In the Ramayana, Rama loves Sita so much that he's willing to do anything for her. After their years of hardship he says that he cannot be with her for fear that she has been despoiled or unfaithful, and she asks he build her a funeral pyre, but she doesn't burn because she has not been. They have a concept of "pure" love that is mingled with devotion and duty to one's spouse.

However, I repeat - while the concept is not modern, marriage FOR love is.
In my opinion, love is still love, as it always has been. The difference is that many people can't determine what they have from actual love(there are many causes for this but if i say them ill probably be attacked again) or they are using the term frivolously to acheive personal rewards. Love is love, but no ones in love(though i do know a few people who represent love very well).
SamuraiMujuru
That's right, folks, another rant by SamuraiMujuru.
Author's Note-The following are opinons I have built up over the years through watching and studying of myself and those around me, be they adults, peers, younger children, etc. etc. etc. They are not meant to offend, mearly inspire thought and debate. If my views DO offend, my sincerest apologies.

I agree.
Love is still love, but many people are having trouble defining what love is. It's just my opinion, but I've always thought that part of the confusion about love in English speaking countries is that the word "love" is used with many different meanings. You love your boyfriend and you love pizza. Same word.

Friendly Seeker

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
I think that love isn't "love" anymore. I think that we do use love too liberaly. We have distorted love to such an informal word so that it is no better than like. I think that love and hate are used to freely now.
vpshinra

The best proof of text I can give you is Plato's "Symposium" in which love is discussed at length. Passionate love is very much described, as is "pure love" or the idea that a man and a woman (or a man and a man, or woman and woman, actually) were once one being, but split and became two and you eternally search for your counterpart (I cannot remember the name of the philosopher who brought this point up...)

It's also in Symposium, by Aristophanes. It also includes a third sex (which is said to have vanished)
I too have formed a HUGE opinion on the whole love thing over many years...

I have never believed in love as it is told to people (that there is one perfect person for you and you'll 'fall in love' and that'll be it) but I also don't think that it has been ruined latel as it never had any real meaning.

I too really get annoyed when a person starts going out with someone and then imediately starts saying....oh I really love him....oh you can tell he really loves me can't you.....

Even for people who believe in love, it shouldn't happen that regularly!

I think love is lust....just with a person you could lust over for a longer period than a one night stand.

being 'in love' is different from love as well.....love is prolongued lust....in love is going through the prolongued lust and finding someone you feel comfortable with as well....yeah I'm wierd, it's just my opinion.

I don't love anyone...but the way I care about someone, I would have to describe as love as that's the way other people would see it, the feeling is close to what people describe as being love...you get me?

I love differewnt things in different ways. And it's not just english, this has been this way for many thousands of years. Greeks were the first to give these names. The different loves. I can't actually remember the names now, but I know Eros is 'love' there is friendship love. I love my best friends. There is family love. I love my mum. There is oibject love. I love that colour. And 'love'.

People so much want to find love nowadays, but want to be liberalised from the opposite sex and rules at the same time...the whole situation turns into "yeah I love him we'll get married and stay together forever....but do I really need him. I could have fun and be single!"

The whole love thing just bores the hell out of me and I prefer not to think deeply of it any more. Love is what it is to the kind of person using it. A certain person will really love everything they say they do, even though to another it will seem they don't, some people say it cos they think they should. I just use it when the word comes out, and I think nothing of why I have used it.

Love is a four letter word...like bull, s**t, crap, fake, real, free and holy.

Words that only mean something because people have come to use them for a certain thing. As a word, and to different people, they mean different things...and sometimes...absolutely nothing.

heart 3nodding heart 3nodding heart
Pistgurl: There are different words for love in the Greek language:
Agape

Agape is love that God has for mankind. Only God can express this kind of love.

Eros is passionate love, with sensual desire and longing.

Plato refined his own definition. Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even become appreciation of beauty itself. Eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth. Lovers, artists, and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth by eros.

Philia, a dispassionate virtuous love. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. Philia is motivated by practical reasons.

Storge: natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring.

Xenia: A ritualized form of love between host and guest.
I think that love is a very abstract emotion, Ill be honest that I couldnt put my definition of what love is into words. But I think that the emotion of love is just the same as its always been, what we have in todays words is people mistaking emotions. So many people are in such a hurry to grow up and such, and get into relationships, and they take any feeling that they have for the person to mean love and dont try to look into it anymore. But when people finally do look into it more, or get in a relationship where they finally experince what love truly is that then they are in a better understanding of it and thus cant be tricked by the marketing ads that you mentioned, and when they say it they mean it. So the over use of the word love today and the reason people think it has lost its meaning is becuase people are hooking the word to the wrong emotion. Atleast in my opinion.
Um, Nuri, I'm going to ask for proof of your claim about the word Agape, since, y'know, I don't think the Greeks thought Zeus was especially loving.
Sotek
Um, Nuri, I'm going to ask for proof of your claim about the word Agape, since, y'know, I don't think the Greeks thought Zeus was especially loving.

This is the Greek language, which extends past just my Gods. In this case, it also goes into the Christian concept of agape.

But hey! Zeus is very loving-he just has other things besides mankind to worry about. Among his epiteths is friendly, good counsler, and saviour.
Sotek
[dead-pan] Zeus was very loving. Especially of women. [/dead-pan]
Kalil Chernov
Sotek
[dead-pan] Zeus was very loving. Especially of women. [/dead-pan]

Rats. Beat me to it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas